Over 60s training.

21 to 40 of 133,540 messages
01/02/2003 at 01:38
JJ
I echo WPs wishes. Sometimes makes you wonder about exerting oursens at our age!
Which reminds me and also encourages me.....A Californian chap by the name of Larry Lewis was a regular jogger from the age of 80.At 102 he worked 8 hours a day as a waiter in San Francisco besides doing six mile runs in the local park he walked 5 miles to work each day and usually walked home also.To celebrate his 102nd birthday he ran a 100 yard dash in 17.3 seconds! Maybe this was too much, for Larry died at the age of 104. The mind boggles.
Do you reckon someone might start an over 80s thread?!
01/02/2003 at 11:10
JJ,

I've just been checking up on the net and have tracked down the fast bloke from my club. He recently ran 39:?? in a local 10k road race, but the results show he's a V55, not a V6*. Whoops! Good job I didn't ask him....! Sorry about that.

Let me know if you'd still like me to ask about his training.
01/02/2003 at 19:27
Wee Piglet
That's near enough. I'd certainly be interested in an average week's training.
JJ
16/02/2003 at 20:12
Johnny.J.
I've just discovered the thread, so hope it is still active.
I am a 68 year old club runner who runs mainly 10Ks nowadays, but very infrequently in the winter. My last 10K was in August last year when I won the over 60s race in 45:57.Although I have been running for many years I find nowadays,that it is much to easy to overtrain, but invariably do so and spend much of the winter injured. At present I am on another 'get fit' programme after 4 months of ankle problems.
When fit I usually train on 4 days each week including at least one speed session with the club for a total of around 40 mpw.
Hills and tempo running have always been important in my training and up to the recent past I rarely ran slowly. I find I cannot maintain that standard now and reluctantly have had to accept my limitations a thing which I find very hard.
I would be pleased to compare training methods with you, and others, if you are interested.
Elce.
16/02/2003 at 22:35
Elce.
Nice to see you've found the thread. Looks to me like you're pretty good. I'd certainly like to compare notes. However, I need to be elsewhere in a few moments so will contact you tomorrow. Apologies.
In the meantime there's a bunch of (im)mature people under General that share lunacy and racing/training notes if you can bear it.
JJ
17/02/2003 at 07:26
Elce
My experience is exactly the same. I can't recover quickly so I'm forced to take plenty of rest days. This restricts the mileage. It's presenting a real problem as I'm training for the FLM but can still not do more than about the 40 miles p.w.
Like you, I'm trying for quality but that means harder work with the attendant risk of injury. More later.
JJ
17/02/2003 at 14:45
Hi JJ

I remember reading an article on www.pponline.co.uk which looked into the reasons why we slow down as we get older. They concluded the leg cadence remained fairly high in the older runner though stride length started to noticeably reduce, the reason they gave for this was flexibility, an interesting article.

SH
17/02/2003 at 14:58
The last race I did (5 miles in 36:04)would have had me finish 5th (in the over 60 category), the over 60 winner finished in 32:57 and there was one representative for the over 70's who finished in 39:59!

Without wanting to sound patronising I find times like that very inspiring and humbling, you know what I mean.

SH
17/02/2003 at 15:38
Hi Johnny,

Have you tried crosstraining? I am not able to do a lot of running as I have bad achilles tendons so I crosstrain a lot. You can do intervals, speedwork or even long workouts on a bike. I have a turbo trainer so I alternate running with cycling. It helps a lot. Also, do you do weights?
17/02/2003 at 20:17
Hi J.J. My last run in the London was in 1987 when I was in my 53rd year.I managed to get round in 2 hours 58 mins on an average of 50 miles per week working to a 26 weeks schedule. I would be interested to know what time you are aiming for, and whether this is your first marathon.
Judging by your half marathon time I think it should be possible to run 3 hours 45 mins at London given the right conditions and consistent training. I still have all my training diaries for the past 20 years and would be pleased to refer back to my old schedules for ideas or tips that might help you. All the best Elce.
17/02/2003 at 20:57
Elce.
Thanks for your post. It will be my third marathon with a previous best of 4-11 two years ago. I'm definitely faster now. I will be reasonably happy with sub-4 but I think I ought to be capable of 3-50 given the usual caveats about injury & illness. I would be interested if your diaries reveal anything relevent info. about expected times for any distances off 40 miles per week around the age of 60-ish.

Snake Hips.
That makes real sense. I am quite tall, over 6'and long legged. I notice that my racing stride length is no more than people a good bit shorter than me. This was so noticeable that I spoke to a physio who offered to look at my leg flexibility and we found that it was well below normal. He is now working on that as a means of lessening the risk of overuse injuries and increasing speed. It's good to get confirmation that there could be something in it. Grateful for that tip. Thanks.
JJ
17/02/2003 at 22:20
I have no claim for any fast times. As JJ knows have only been doing any form of serious running since one year ago. So far am finding it hard to get much faster at 64 but then don't do anywhere near the mileage of Else or JJ. Briefly, my pb for 10k is a slow 57.43s. so would appreciate advice on how to substantially improve on that. I suppose its highly likely I need to do a lot more mileage per week(only 15 to 20 right now). Can't make longer strides my height is only 5ft.6in.
17/02/2003 at 23:03
Lincoln Imp
Try and up your training to alternate days, 40 mins each session and an hour at the weekend. Just good steady running for a month or more.
Slowly increase one session every two weeks by 10 mins. until they are all 50mins. and the weekend is 1hr.10.
Then in one session each week add two 10min. sections at a fast pace (10k speed) at a slightly increased stride length.

After 4 weeks in another of the steady sessions add in 5x 200m sprints.

You just keep this steady, slow build up going, one increase at a time and don't go for the next increase until you are comfortable with what you are doing. It is the fast sessions that will help your 10k time.
If you get tired just miss a day. At our age it isn't important. Recovery is a vital part of the buildup.

Flexibility of muscles, ligaments etc. is important in running fast and flexibility decreases with age. 10 mins of gentle leg muscle stretching every day will reverse that process and improve performance.

This is just a broad outline. You can vary it to suit your own needs. Just listen to your legs. If you feel you can do a bit more then do so - but only a small increase at a time. If you feel like it's too much then rest.

If you follow this sort of routine I suspect you will be down to much nearer 50mins. by late autumn.
JJ
17/02/2003 at 23:07
And LI, there's hundreds out there who are decades younger than us who would give their eye teeth to do 57mins. You ot nothing to worry about.
JJ
18/02/2003 at 00:56
JJ
Many many thanks for the big info/advice.
The place I do my running is away from traffic and a lot of the undesirables(!). A lake which when circumnavigated is exactly 3 miles so the tendency is either a 3 or 6mile run. But as you say, should be easy enough to adjust distances related to the runtimes you recommend.
Shall printout your message and try to stick to your methods and then its up to me to see that nowt puts me off(like bad weather etc).
If I can get it down to 50 minutes then I'll be absolutely chuffed!
18/02/2003 at 08:30
Lincoln Imp.
One more point. Put in a race every few weeks if you can. It's something to train for and adds something different. You also automatically race faster than you train.
JJ
18/02/2003 at 21:25
Johnny J. From your previous marathon time, your subsequent improvement in speed, and your obvious commitment. I feel sure that you would be capable of 3 hours 50 mins. And having read your sensible and informed advice to L.I. I would be surprised if you suffered much in the way of injury.
I note that you do your long run usually on a Sunday. At my best I did the same but in the last ten weeks before the marathon, I decreased the number of long runs to one every 10 days. The longer recovery enabled me to gradually build up to three or four 20 mile long runs in the last two months before tapering. I realise this would mean doing a long run midweek which may not be possible for you if you are working full time.
If you are not a club member I would strongly advise you to consider it. I find that training with younger runners is highly beneficial, as their easy paced runs often mean quite a hard workout for me.
All the best, Elce.
18/02/2003 at 23:05
Elce.
Another one for the melting pot. Sounds sensible. Two heads are obviously better than one.
You are right about joining a club. I need the extra incentive if I'm to get any faster.
JJ
24/02/2003 at 08:12
I have read with interest this over 60's thread. I ran quite respectable times about 17 years ago and then did not run competitively till 18 months ago. I am DETERMINED to get my times back to where they were. So far my fastest and only half marathon is 2 hours against 1:39 in the past. I am now 62 and am including speed sessions on the treadmill and I think that they are paying off. I will not know until I run my next half on sunday at Castle Ashby. This is an undulating course so I might not be ready to knock too many minutes off!! I need to include hills in my training sessions. I find that 30 miles a week is my maximum at present, but they are getting easier and recovery is much quicker.

What I would like is information on races which include prizes hence recognition for the over 60's. I won first in my age group at Lake Verwyny and this made a huge difference to my attitude. I live in the Northampton area so obviously do not want to travel miles and miles! Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
24/02/2003 at 16:43
Hello Cecilia. Thought this thread was a goner.
Well done on the comeback. You will need to be very dedicated to get back to your original times. They were very good indeed.
Still, so long as you have time to train and, particularly, rest you will enjoy the challenge..
Just don't forget the recovery bit. It does take much longer to recover from the hard sessions when you older.

Entry forms usually list all the class awards.You could also look at the promoting organisation's website where they frequently have last year's results and award winners. Pure vets events will always have age group awards. If all else fails, e-mail or telephone and ask.
Post your time next week on the Mature Runners thread under General. We would all be interested.
JJ
21 to 40 of 133,540 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.