Over 60s training.

65,361 to 65,380 of 133,708 messages
02/02/2007 at 07:59
Morning.

Spud - thanks for that link. I didn't know about Groundhog Day but I'm a big fan of seasonal celebrations. I shall keep an eye out for groundhog shadows when I run later.

JJ - has your browser updated itself without asking/telling you?
I was so disgusted by the latest update of Internet Explorer (extra toolbars and carp I couldn't get rid of) that I installed Mozilla Firefox and it is sooooo much easier to use. Seth had been urging me to do this for ages but I am always wary of changing things on the computer. Stuck in my ways... You can get Firefox online, it's free and you can set it up to use IE for the very occasional site (e.g. Microsoft sites!!) that don't like Firefox.
02/02/2007 at 08:14
Morning,
Blo**y computers. Blo**y Norton. We downloaded Norton 2007 about 3 weeks ago or so and the present one was about to expire. This morning, we have communication, big time, from Norton saying that our subscription had expired. Now I have a Norton icon at the bottom of my screen with a big X. Which means that Norton has indeed expired. So I guess we are unprotected:-((

JJ
I cannot copy onto the internet address line either. It is something that happened when internet explorer updated itself. Blo**y pain. I was sorry to hear about the yelp of pain. How is it today. Poor Miranda too!! We are still talking about the drama. I was either not listening properly or something because I am still not exactly sure what the army guy was doing in the flower van. One has to listen very carefully last evening because if one missed a sentence one could have been left in the dark about a couple of things.

Impey
The reason why I called the 12 miles a medium run is that when one is training for a marathon one does one LSR and one medium faster run in a week. Thus the 12 miles was the medium run!!! I am looking at building up the 11 miles to 13 miles eventually, run at something like marathon pace. Do you feel able to run an extra day in your week to increase your mileage a little. That would help you get faster race times this year. Just a thought.

Spud
As you and others have already said, DAFT IDEA from the other dog owner. Discussion over!

Now we have no bed and no drawers either in the bedroom, all clothes in poly bags:-(( New furniture arrives a week today.

Norunday today.
02/02/2007 at 08:20
Musing about training...

Last year I did ten weeks' training of roughly 40k (25 miles) a week before my spring half, when I pd'd by 7 mins. Most of the plodding runs were at a slightly higher pace and HR than at present.
Had a week off halfway with a sprained ankle and six weeks of antibiotics for something that turned out to be nothing, which can't have helped.
On the plus side, I did a long run of at least 20k (12 miles) and up to 25k once a week, and intervals once a week.

As this extra miles business is a long-term project, I don't think I'll bother with intervals right now. But I'll try and increase my long run over the next four weeks - say 20k, then another 20k, 22k and 24k, with a shorter long run the week before the race. And once a week do a tempo run with increased distance at half-mara pace - say 3k, 5k, 6k and 7k (that would be a third of the race distance).
02/02/2007 at 08:23
Hi ceal. How are you managing with the mattress?

I had a fight with Norton as well recently. It must have had my email because it sent me an update reminder, then when I went to the site it wouldn't recognise me as a subscriber.
See my comments to JJ about Firefox.

Enjoy your rest day and don't get too bogged down in computer probs!
02/02/2007 at 08:25
Chouette
Thanks. I will investigate Internet Explorer.

Ceal
The guy was in the flower van because he and the Macedonian and the small pervert were running the illegal cigarettes racket.

The feels very much improved thanks. I may be turning a corner. I shall do another cycle ride today.
JJ
02/02/2007 at 08:28
Chouette
The only suggestion I have about your training plan is that the tempo run could be faster. Tempo runs are usually around lactate threshold and taht would be about 10k pace.
JJ
K2
02/02/2007 at 08:37
Morning all

4+ miles at club last night, making a total of just under 25 for the day. (JJ I didn't see your post but I promise I took it very carefully and stayed at the back. "Bonked" (in the cycling sense) half a mile rom the end and walked most of the rest.)

Spud
I'm not sure that I'd want to make friends with someone who'd done that to me.

all
Thanks for the encouragement.

Work later. I'm trying out wearing flight socks to see if it helps with leg fatigue, thogh they do feel pretty perky at the moment.

It won't last!
K2
02/02/2007 at 08:40
I wondered what was going on........
(ceal) "I was either not listening properly or something because I am still not exactly sure what the army guy was doing in the flower van."
(JJ) "The guy was in the flower van because he and the Macedonian and the small pervert were running the illegal cigarettes racket."

Please tell me it's tv and you'e not both involved in international criminality.

02/02/2007 at 08:47
Chouette
I was going to say the same as JJ. Tempo runs for me mean running afap for a maximum of 20 mins. No longer. I would certainly increase your long run for definite. Yes decrease one of the runs in the week. Fast running needn't be structured into intervals. Obviously structured intervals are the way for you to go eventually. BUT to get your legs into fat twitch mode, one can throw in faster running for as little as 20 secs into a slower training session. I do that in every run I do. Sometimes as much as a mile or two or just for half a mile, or just for a 1 min. I find it invaluable as a wake up for my legs. That way I know that I can gt them moving when I want to. I actually do this at the end of my runs, no matter how long the run. The end of the run will be the fastest part of the run. At the end of an 18 mile run the last mile might not be fast in comparison to my normal running but it will be faster than the earlier pace. No need to know how fast the fast bit it, just that it was faster.

Lots of words not saying a lot:-))

I am sure TS will have a cunning plan for you up his sleeve.

I tried the standing up from all fours and didn't find it that easy. I just get into crouch position and stand. Not easy first thing in the morning or indeed the middle of the night, and I know I couldn't have done that 6 months ago. Leg exercises paying off.
02/02/2007 at 08:50
K2

tee hee, we will keep you in the dark:-))

Great running yesterday, perky legs today, you must be ill:-)) I will be interested to hear about flight socks, someone on another thread was telling of their virtues after a looooong run.
02/02/2007 at 08:52
JJ
thanks, of course he was. It all happened so quickly at the end. I was a bit horrified to find out the Leanne wasn't dead when she was tipped into the canal.
02/02/2007 at 09:01
Spud - meant to say, indeed as everyone else has said, you're quite right not to want to make friends with that dog! Sounds like the women is exhibiting a typical American weirdness - projecting human reasoning abilities onto an animal. Sorry if there are any Americans reading but I have come across this before...
K2
02/02/2007 at 09:06
ceal
Bristol Rugby team players use our gym. The idea came to me when I saw one of them (about 6' 8" tall and built like a ...... very big person) walking out of the building wearing black compression tights and long red baggy shorts. He looked like a very large version of Mickey Mouse without the ears.

Oh good grief! Attempted myrder as well?????
02/02/2007 at 09:07
good morning

bonking and flower vans, perky legs and viruses, groundhogs and mozillas - it is a varied slice of life:-))

cucumber sandwich of a run this am.

only 3 miles - 8:30m/m warm up, 7:00m/m filling, 8:30m/m down - done. avHR131.

Do not want to overfill Chouette's pot with advice but will indeed produce a cunning plan:-)
02/02/2007 at 09:10
forgot to say that my first mile was towards the biggest full moon I have ever seen setting in a clear lightening dawn sky.

It seemed to almost outshine the early sun with its silver light.
02/02/2007 at 09:13
Glad I'm not watching that TV series - I have enough nightmares as it is.

K2 - your legs may not know what's hit them yet... Keep stretching.

JJ and ceal - many thanks for the tips. In fact my target half-mara pace (for 1:55) is quite a bit faster than my current 10k pace, which is carpissimmo. I'll see what I can do in 20 minutes.
K2
02/02/2007 at 09:14
TS
A "count your blessings" run. Things like that moon are rarely mentioned as a benefit of running but they do put the carp runs into perspective.
K2
02/02/2007 at 09:16
Checking out - work, club committee meal, work tomorrow.

Have fun!
02/02/2007 at 09:16
ceal - just re-read your suggestions and not picking on your typing but I'd love to get my legs into fat-twitch mode!!

Hi TS - moon sounds great, obsured by cloud here. I shall look forward to my pot running over with cunning plans.
02/02/2007 at 09:23
Chouette
a good totp!! fat-twitch mode:-))

I think my fingers are in too fast twitch mode. In fact when typing fast just, I, indeed, typed fat again. My finger nails need cutting.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.