Over 60s training.

65,361 to 65,380 of 118,566 messages
10/10/2007 at 12:42
Posh round your way Tracie having the salt delivered.
10/10/2007 at 12:55

WW

what is a "plastic scouser"???/

10/10/2007 at 12:57
testing:

hi everyone
10/10/2007 at 12:58
yesterday I tried posting on the tri forum and got some NULLs.

When I tried posting on here I lost the message and got the white page, so I gave up.

Has Ceal gone already?
10/10/2007 at 14:42

Hi Spud

Ceal gone in big bird, fly high in sky to sunny place

WW
lol at Tracey's delivery service!!!

10/10/2007 at 14:48

Hi Spud

Hello Everyone else

Spud there were some Nulls over on the Southend thread yesterday as well.

another run done (61%), and massage booked for tomorrow.

10/10/2007 at 15:28

TS I come from the Wirral (now whilst its posh we didn't have the salt delivered) its still classed as Merseyside but is separated by the Mersey, so its not a proper scouser.

10/10/2007 at 16:07

Afternoon all

Gentle run with a select group at Joggers last night, 4.89mi in 52.38, 10.45 pace ave HR 133 (66% WHR). Plan is to run with my usual group on Thursday but avoid the faster loops.

Being kept busy with the PJC web site at the moment as we are having to do regular updates to keep people informed about the Denmead 10k on 21st, due to the postal strikes - glad I'm just the web master and not race director.

Pammie you've reminded me I must book in for a massage soon.

Mike T

10/10/2007 at 17:36

Last long run today before Amsterdam Half (a week on Sunday). 12 miler postponed from the weekend. As usual, the suffering started 24 hours before the run, with collywobbles and dread. I hate long runs.

1st couple of miles were bad, thinking "I'll never get round". 2nd couple of miles were deceptive, thinking "maybe it won't be so bad". 3rd couple of miles, the pain and fatigue set in, thinking "here we go again". 4th couple of miles, I'm shuffling now, thinking "this hurts". 5th couple of miles, staggering now, thinking "this isn't going to beat me". Last couple of miles, pain has mercifully turned to numbness, brain also numb, so no thinking at all. I hate long runs.

When I got home, the Garmin actually said that I had improved from my last attempt at 12 miles. My pace was steady 11:50 and my hr was steady 72%. I still hate long runs, though.

10/10/2007 at 17:41

Lynne

think about 20 miles as being a long run and then 12 will be a mere nothing
It is a while since you have done one so well done on the improvement

Hate to tell you but a HM is a long run!!

Alternatively you could do a Sharkie................................................!

10/10/2007 at 17:45

WW

I can see Tracey is not going to be allowed to forget this delivery in a hurry

Actually we in Harrogate also get salt delivered - Dead Sea salt which is supposed to be good for  a skin complaint - so we are posh too!!!

Empty

postal strike must be causing chaos for race organisers everywhere and must threaten some races viability

10/10/2007 at 17:47
I'm going to do another mile race in December. Though i'll not be training purposedly for it hoping to do better than last time will probably do a mini taper for it Its on the track. My first track race
10/10/2007 at 19:13

Evenin all,

No run yesterday, so didn't come on to just say "norunday".

Seems a long time since doing more than a 7 mile run, twas time to put that right with a 9 mile jaunt over mixed terrain,trails, grass, loose chippings, hills and some good views to keep me in the mood. Once when running downhill on dodgy gravel, a grey squirrel ran straight across almost tripping me up! Spotted a heron on fishing lake which proved it's shyness by flying off. A cyclist passing me when on lake loop, asked me "how many laps can you do?"  Some folk think that we only run round lake not realising there are so many trails to permutate.  If I ran round lake 3 times(9 miles) the boredom might have finished me off

Mile splits and Hr percentages....

11m.42s.....51%...warmup/hill.
10m.27s.....57.5%
10m.52s.....68.3% upping
  9m.34s.....65%    downing
10m.01s.....64%
  9m.44s.....65%
  9m.39s.....65%
  9m.24s.....66.7%
  9m.57s.....61.7%
  Finished with 0.5m warmdown.

TS,
Don't suppose I can interest you in a 6m trail race at RV this weekend then I remembered you prefer smooth
Glad to see you returning to running ways anyway,  thats the main thing.

10/10/2007 at 19:26

Evening all.

WW

JJ will tell you that Dagenham is not posh.

Lynne

I do not like LSR. Hate them even more when it is pouring down with rain. So happy I am finished with them for a while. I hope to get into FLM on my 3rd attempt, but not looking forward to the LSR's if I do.

10/10/2007 at 19:32

Top of both my arms are sore. Must have been all that arm pumping at Southend

11/10/2007 at 08:16

Morning, sun has just come thru the foggy mist, very autumnal.  Went out last night and got my new running shoes in readiness for all the LSR's (I don't like them either) for FLM, shall break them in gently.

11/10/2007 at 08:45

TS - you are right about the definition of what is a long run. When I was training for FLM in 2004 I can distinctly remember actually enjoying runs of up to 15 miles, because my "long runs" then were the dreaded 16, 18 and 20 milers.

Today I'm going for an induction session at the gym. My weights programme had got very routine, stale and boring, and us ladies of a certain age need to keep up our muscle mass. Recently, the gym management decided that offering a creche was a waste of space and leased the area to a young couple who have converted it to a swish new massage and physiotherapy suite.

I've had a few sports massages from Charlotte, which have been very effective, so I signed up for an appraisal from her physio husband Craig, so he could refresh the weights routine. I thought I was quite sound for my age, but after he had bent me into some odd shapes and found weaknesses in muscle groups that I didn't know existed, I felt like an old crock.

I began to wonder if he was like one of those cowboy builders that find non-existent subsidence and cracks in your house, so they can sell you an expensive course of work that you don't really need. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

aws
11/10/2007 at 10:21

Morning

Lynne
I feel like one of your old crocks and have done since Tuesday with the return of the symptoms that back in July were diagnosed, after much indecision, as being due to a trapped nerve in my back. All they did back then was to give me some whacky exercises and prescribed Ibuprofen so I ain't going back there. I haven't run for three days and feel like an old sock - worn out and good for nothing. Just hoping it doesn't take a month to go off this time, it's not quite so bad as back then but it's bad enough. I don't cope with pain very well.

Tracey
It's my fifth try for FLM with 4 rejections so far so I'm guaranteed a place by 2009 at the latest. I'll probably have gone off the idea by then.

aws

11/10/2007 at 11:01

good morning all - old crocks included

Impey
good sounding run for you - and a nice day to boot!! Your memory serves you well - I am smooth only - and not sure if I could race 6 miles at the moment!!

JJ
running and beer - a good mix Nice distance done - you deserve the pints

aws
d*mn annoying it returning like that -hope it improves soon

been  on the phone for 2 hours solid so I need a rest !!!

Sun broke through early fog and dampness to leave a pleasant am for a test of a different type. With knees still a bit sore from chasing blondes and  standing iin bars I resolved to

run on grass or trail
 run within 65%WHR irrespective of contours

5.1 miles done in 53:39(!!!!) for avHR129 (64%WHR) and a max of only142 on a steep path through a wooded hill

1m 10.12 hr124
2m 11.09 hr130 hilly up bit
3m   9.59 hr130
4m 10.56 hr134 hipps hill
5m 10.45 hr131

which proves???
my aerobic base is still completely shot and the enthusiasm of returning to running needs to be tempered with that knowledge
my knees are not great
it's a bl**dy long way back to >8m/m and 130bpm!!!!

11/10/2007 at 15:22

No internet this morning. We changed internet provider this morning. It has only taken Sky 6 months LOL.

Not been for a run today. Got to be nice to Bernard so that I can go to my running club.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.