Over 60s training.

126,441 to 126,460 of 133,882 messages
31/08/2012 at 08:03
Morning all

Definely a chilly start to the day.

Aws - Good run by you this morning
31/08/2012 at 11:02

aws
Your numbers are looking good again. Agree with you about the chilliness of today.

31/08/2012 at 11:06

I was most certainly cool today when out running, I didn't really get warm until I was doing my stretches in the garden afterwards. There is a very cool wind blowing.

I ran 6.53 miles down and back up my trail in around 58 mins, av pace 8.39 mm, My Garmin refuses to talk to my pc. So I will ignore it and hope it solves it's problem all on it's own!  .

The reason for the miles this week is that next week I am busy so running will be spasmodic and I intend to try and do shorter speed sessions. But will see how things turn out!

Edited: 31/08/2012 at 11:08
31/08/2012 at 17:38

Afternoon

Been doing short runs this week recovering slightly from race took more out of me than expected  could be i entered race tired due to lack of sleep will carry on for rest of week do a longish run on Monday  Work rota could be changing slightly but nothing confirmed as in written contract yet So will have to adapt when i run long

Anyhow just over 3 miles today felt great despite 6 hours kip it was also my 100th day of running

31/08/2012 at 18:59

Pammie,

Well done to you in completing 100 successive days of running.

Ceal,

Hope your interview with Sportsister went well yesterday.

Gonna try out a 5k race in morning.   Be interesting to see how it goes,  haven't done a Park Run since June.

31/08/2012 at 19:28

Today was my first reasonable run for nearly 6 months. Just 3.8 miles off road miles but walked the top of a long steep hill. There was much graunching and grinding from muscles and gristly bits for a bit over a mile then things settled down for another mile then I felt tired. Much work to be done.

Ceal
I think the tiles are winning.
Have a great day at the Paralympics.

aws
Hope to catch up with your pace in a few weeks.
Good run this morning. Keep it up.

Impey
Good luck tomorrow.
JJ

31/08/2012 at 22:24

Aws - still not a 13 in sight!

Pammie - 100 successive days running, - that's really impressive.

Ceal - paint colour - a very pale pinky-cream. Think it's called lily.

I had one of Ceal's nights last night, - woke up at just before 2.00 a.m., couldn't get back to sleep again. Gave up at 6.00 and made a cup of tea. Consequently have been wavering around the place all day. Did catch about 20 mins in the afternoon, though. 

01/09/2012 at 16:05

Good morning,

aws,
I too find the formatting on this site very simplistic, I can't understand why they have done that.

Columba,
They are black bears and not the fat cuddly ones you see in a zoo. These are bigger and much fitter and more muscular.

I ran an easy 10k yesterday and my heels felt good so I am off for a 5k today.

More Bonnie problems as it appears it is now my ignition control unit that is the problem, very expensive to replace. It is proving very difficult to support British Manufacturing at the moment.

Mick 

01/09/2012 at 18:52

5k done

12:53 PM Saturday, September 01, 2012
Home5.4k, 22c, sun, a bit quicker, heels still good.
Run Duration = 28:04, Run Length = 5.4 Kms or 3.4 Miles
Average Run Pace = 05:11 per Km, 08:21 per Mile, Age grade = 65.6 %
Average Run WHR = 76.7 %, Max Run WHR = 89.8 %
Average Run Cadence = 83.7, Average stride length = 1.2 m
Lap Duration Kms Miles   Per Km    Per Mile AWHR MWHR Cadence Slength
01  05:51  1.0  0.6           05:51        09:25      61.9% 70.1% 84.0 1.02
02  05:11  1.0  0.6           05:11        08:20      72.8% 76.2% 83.0 1.16
03  04:56  1.0  0.6          04:56         07:57      75.5% 82.3% 84.0 1.20
04  05:01  1.0  0.6          05:01         08:05      83.0% 85.7% 83.0 1.20
05  05:02  1.0  0.6          05:02         08:06      85.7% 89.8% 84.0 1.18
06  02:01  0.4  0.3          04:56         07:57      88.4% 90.5% 85.0 1.19

Edited: 01/09/2012 at 18:55
01/09/2012 at 22:20

Mick - good about the heels; not so good about Bonnie.

Two walls now have their first coat, - the longest wall, which had no interruptions other than the light switch and an electric point, and a shorter one which however is interrupted by a window and a storage heater. Also painted the window-frame with white undercoat, having taken down the blind and washed it (doesn't look much better for its wash, however).

Also ran 4 and a quarter miles, - the first 1 3/4 at 12:01 mm pace, then 0.88 of a mile at 10:42mm, then back home at 12:49mm.

02/09/2012 at 09:31

Good day,

Mick6
Now that is a better 5k from you, and that is after a comfortable 10k. Things are looking up in the running department, but not so for Bonnie!

Impey
The interview was ok thanks, not one of my better ones! I think I am out of practice, I have another one in a couple of weeks in a Hotel at Victoria Station.  

02/09/2012 at 09:48

We had a very inspiring day at the Paralympics yesterday. We met up with our friends, the wife is a volunteer and is mentoring the USA team in the Village. Sat on the grass bank and watched the action from the Velodrome Big Screen together. Then we went on to meet my son and wife for a bite to eat before we went into the Aquadrome. We were not sitting together, they picked up their tickets a couple of  evenings previously. 

There were many more people in the park, the tickets were much cheaper and certainly this was the case for children, so this brought many more families out for the day. I think many day park tickets were issued/bought and this entitled purhasers to go to the smaller arenas, like the Copper Box etc. Btw my ticket was only £5, one of the perks of being an oap, Stewart's was £45. So I had  good deal. 

We had excellent seats, about 9 rows back behind the lower deck, we were the last row before the next tier up which meant we could stand when we wanted to without impeding anybodies view. We did take advantage of this.

There was a great atmosphere in the pool, I think the builders must have glued the roof on well because it must have been in danger of being lifted off by the noise created by the crowd watching the events.

We saw Matthew get his Bronze in the 400 m freestyle and this was followed by the magnificent swim by Ellie S. We all went mental screaming for her. The race was a little controversial because Natalie, (USA swimmer) was under scrutiny over her classification and could get de-medalled if they decided that she is in the incorrect category. However, Ellie made sure that she not only won the race but broke the W Record by some 5 secs. Amazing. This race was particularly poignant for Stewart & I because of Betsy.

We then witnessed Claire win a Silver in the 100 breaststroke and she sat near to us afterwards, and she posed for Stewart so that he could take a photo.

I think the most humbling experience was watching the blind swimmers 50 m freestyle, I think the roof again was in danger of being lifted off.

The evening finished with the S2 Men, who are paralysed from the waist down, such determination was shown by all of them and we certainly all showed our appreciation of their efforts.If they can do it then so can we. Although I think my classification is 'OLD'

We arrived home an hour earlier than before which has helped with the tiredness factor.

02/09/2012 at 09:54

Because I have been to the Pool before for the synchronized swimming trials back in the winter time, I forgot to mention the Aquadrome is spectacular, I think inside they have day-light lighting. The whole evening moved along fast, there were 16 races and 16 Victory Ceremonies, and after the medal presentation the swimmers came along our side of the pool (we were siting about half way down the pool) and presented themselves to 3 sets of groups of cameras, so got a very close view of all of the medalists.

Ellie received the loudest noise of the night, during the race, at the finish, when she climbed out of the pool, again before the medals, after the presentation of, after the National Anthem  and again at each set of photographers along the side of the pool.

She looked well happy.

02/09/2012 at 09:55

Graham
You won't read this until after your 10 mile race, but I hope it goes well for you. I look forward to hearing all about it.

02/09/2012 at 09:59

Mick6,
Good solid 5k race there.  I like those paces, can I borrow them!

Ceal,

Glad you had a great day.  Must have been really inspiring seeing the Paralympians.

02/09/2012 at 10:11

5K Endcliffe Park Run.......

My first race of any kind since June. Last time out the 5k time was 29.06 can't remember why it was that poor!

This time I was happy to try to get a reasonable time after the breaks and though it felt hard I was satisfied with the way it went.

Official time 28m.36s.
Laps....

Age Grading 64.1%     210th out of 331.  3rd out of 3 over70s and I was the oldest runner.
Still have a lot of work to do to achieve the goal of sub 27m.  Even if I don't it's always pleasing to keep under the 30m

No 5ks for next 2 Saturdays due to our holiday but first there is a 10k late Sept to try.

The retired doctor racer who is 72 told me he swears by taking half a travel sickness tablet and a drink of coffee before running. He was chuffed to PB at 26.49 on his 51st park run. Can't see how a Kwell helps, never heard that before !

02/09/2012 at 10:15

Impey
Well done young man on your 5k park race. There was oh so nearly an 8 in the mix. I wonder what the anti-sickness tablet is all about. Coffee yes, but half a Kwell-----

02/09/2012 at 11:30

Second come-back run this morning. 4 very  steady miles. Splits were:

10:09    warming up
9:38
9;53     a decent downhill bit but kn*ckered.

That's 29:31 for the 3 miles. Did another mile but it was 14 mins due to easing down, stops for stretches and walking the last 200m. I'm in no hurry.

Impey
Encouraging 5k there.
Maybe the Kwell helps if it's an undulating course?

Mick
Very pleasing to see you run faster than the Bonnie.

Ceal
I keep looking at the Paralypics and the great coverage in the Times, and like you I'm so impressed with what these people do with various bits in non-working order. It makes me realise how much us older folk, mostly with everything in working order, can learn from the younger generation.
JJ

02/09/2012 at 21:35

Ceal - sounds like you have been having a wonderful time at the Paralypics - amazing what they can do!

JJ - good to see you out there giving it a good hard effort.

Mick - you too, I don't think I'd like to be lining up against Ceal next month

Impey - great run - very unusual combination the Dr was advising you to take!

I had a big weekend - 16km with my Saturday group, because I was missing them, and 29km with my pack on Sunday. I was a very tired Nana after that! But after an afternoon nap, still produced dinner for family including gchildren and entertained 2yr old by playing "shops" with the old monopoly set!

02/09/2012 at 21:56

NZC,
45k in two days that is impressive.

Impey,
Lots of 5k races are a good way to improve your 5k times.

JJ,
good to see you are getting back in to the groove, I began to think that you were giving it all up. Not too difficult to go faster than my bonnie. 

45k bike with MrsMick6 today, a really enjoyable and very scenic route. It included carrying our bikes over two sets of locks and a couple of very steep climbs.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.