Over 60s training.

126,501 to 126,520 of 134,145 messages
06/09/2012 at 12:34
Ceal - we had a fantastic time at the Olympic park. I love the stadium. Some people didn't enjoy the stairs they had to climb to get to their seats. We were in the North stand in row 52, so not too high up.
06/09/2012 at 12:38

busbar
Hi there. Did you enjoy the Olympics and did you have a good holiday in Ireland?

Periodization is an organized approach to one's training so that one gets the best out of all the hard work.

A general non complicated explanation would be to say, do aerobic work in the winter time, introducing weight work for a period of time then gradually, as the time draws nearer to one's target event in the summer, drop off a lot of the miles and indeed weight work and introduces speed work into each week, then as one draws even closer to one's target race, begin to drop more miles and time spent on speed work, but increase the pace for shorter bursts. Leading straight into a race taper.

Of course a winter marathon might be onel's goal so the periodisation is arranged around that.

On the whole I believe it gets the best from one's body and also prevents the body (and the mind too) from being stale at any one pace or task.

Variety is the spice of life.

I hope that makes sense!!

06/09/2012 at 12:55

Ceal-Yes that makes perfect sense,loved the olympics think i watched almost every event i could.ireland was also good but expensive.

Training for abingdon marathon at the moment but just doing 3runs a week,max mileage is only 35 miles in total a week.

06/09/2012 at 18:02

busbar, thanks for your comment on my 10m race. I think, like me, you find it hard to keep up with the forum at times but please keep doing what you are doing and stay in touch. I'm sure your natural ability will see you doing well in the marathon even if maybe you aren't running as much as you'd like at the moment.

Columba, I'm so pleased you weren't injured after your fall. I know only too well how even a tumble at low speeds can turn out to be quite nasty.

Back later....

06/09/2012 at 19:59

Rest day for me.
We've been out spending more money on the house. Grabbed lunchh out. Tiler is getting on with the kitchen floor which looks brilliant but can't walk on the new bit until 10:00pm tonight.

Busbar
Great to hear from you. Keep in touch. Do you plan to develop yor marathon training for Abingdon?
JJ

06/09/2012 at 20:30

K2, I see you're following the Vuelta. Don't know if anyone else has been? Maybe JJ. Hasn't it been brilliant. Shock horror, people actually racing each other on a daily basis. I know the number of mountain top finishes has really contributed to the number of attacks but they seem to be so rare in the Tour de France and so many eagerly-awaited stages in that turn out to be damp squibs. Still a great spectacle though. The Spanish scenery isn't bad either!

I went to the track again yesterday and increased the number of 400ms from five to seven, still with a 90 second interval between them. Times between 1:30 and 1:26. Reckon I might be able to manage ten next week and still keep the pace the same. We'll see. Won't overdo it.

06/09/2012 at 21:17

JJ-Think i can get another run in somewhere to make 4runs a week.Would like to run sub 3-30but i know thats not easy and i sort can tell that i am not in that kind of fitness.Mcmillian says i should be able to run 3-18 of the 1-34 hm last year but that would take to much training and time is running out 

06/09/2012 at 21:50

Busbar - glad you asked! (about the periodisation)

Good to hear from you; keep dropping in, as and when.

JJ - expect you ate out, then, as you couldn't get into the kitchen!

More gardening. Not running. Tapering.

06/09/2012 at 21:54

Awesome results on the O track this evening.

Graham
I am impressed 

07/09/2012 at 08:13

Good Morning,

JJ
You sound as if you are going through the same as we have been doing so for the past year and still doing so! You, therefore, have my empathies on that one, but it will be worth it in the end. Does Mrs JJ get stressed when the house is being disturbed?

We are off to the Paralympics again today, it is swimming again then tomorrow we will be in the Athletics Stadium. More excitment and emotion to be expressed, I am expecting that going 2 days in a row could take me a week to recover from.

aws
07/09/2012 at 11:59

Good morning

nrd

Slept until 10am. That could be a record but I'm sure it's not a good one. Must do better but the cold is beginning to subside. I've been suffering with stiff back which I conclude is due to having dug over the vegetable patch on Monday, the day the cold kicked in. The backache seems to be easing a bit now as well.

Sorry, but I just have to excuse myself for nrds.

al

07/09/2012 at 15:11

Graham-Excellent 400s there,whats the plan once you do 10.Are you going to reduce recovery to a minute or  move on to say 800s.?Assume this is to get a quicker 5k time which i am sure you will.Will follow with intrest because i would like to do the same once i get all this distance stuff out of the way.

JJ-Having builders in can be stressful but worth it in the end.

Aws-Hope your recovery is quick

07/09/2012 at 17:58

busbar, yes, the idea is to reduce recovery to a minute and, you're right, it's with the aim of getting my 5K time down to (ideally and optimistically) under 20 mins. I do enjoy running on the track and also running faster than normal.

aws, sounds like you've been in the wars. Good that you're feeling better.

We've also been having our kitchen done. Nearly there - only the decorating and blinds left. We went for aubergine lower units and ivory upper ones. The former colour is not the easiest to match though!

07/09/2012 at 18:27

Graham,
Great 400s, certainly looking good to improve your 5k time. As you are focused on the 5k I would strongly recommend ladders of one form or other. 400, 800, 1200, 800, 400. I have found that the pace changes are good at getting your body to adapt to faster paces.

5k steady for me yesterday. My right foot is now pain free which is very encouraging as that is the AT that has bothered me for a couple of years. My left is still reacting but progress.

Taking today as a rest as I have a low key 5k race tomorrow. It is along the border between Canada and the US that is along the St Lawrence Seaway, so it should be fun.

I have just dropped MrsMickC at the station as she is off to Toronto to meet up with daughter #2. They are off to Paris for the week, shopping and site seeing as part of daughter's birthday celebrations.

Mick

Edited: 07/09/2012 at 18:28
07/09/2012 at 19:35

Mick, yes, I plan to throw a ladder such as you suggest into the mix before too long. Good thing to vary things a bit. Great trip for your wife and daughter. Good luck with your 5K tomorrow. I'm racing too - first event in the cross-country season (sure sign winter's just round the corner). It's a relay though, 1.9 miles each runner.

07/09/2012 at 19:48

Columba,

I see that there is now a 5k Parkrun at Aberystwyth,  maybe you know that anyway !

Aws,
Hope you soon are better. Stay off the garden matey, often an easy way of getting backache

Ceal,
Variety of pace,  yesss !   I now realise running same pace too much doesn't help to race faster.  I try to vary my pace more these days.

A bit too warm and humid for my liking around 2.30pm.  Wanted to do intervals but only finished up with 4 quarters this time out.  Started with the obligatory warmup mile or so.

Mile laps:-   12.33,  10.50 and 10.28.
4 x 400mtrs:-  2m.13s  9m.00s/mile pace
                        2m.12s  8.45
                        2m.07s  8.25
                        2m.09s  8.41
Short fartlek for 0.51mile av.pace 10.48
Total mileage 5.3

Will be away for a week, going down to G.Yarmouth.  Looks nice for weekend but unsettled rest of week.  Will still enjoy though

07/09/2012 at 21:22

MickC - All the way to Paris, - it must be a special birthday.

Aws - hope you feel better soon. I expect you needed that sleep.

Graham - aubergine and ivory - a lovely combination. Even the words sound lovely together! If it weren't for my kitchen facing north (which would make aubergine a bit dark) I might copy you.

Impey - no, I didn't know about Aberystwyth's parkrun. They also have them in Newport and in Hereford, all about 40+ miles away from me. I'll check on the Aber one, though; thank you for telling me.

No running. Bit of gardening.

aws
08/09/2012 at 08:23

Good morning

nrd again, but feeling much better. Thanks for all your good wishes.

al

aws
08/09/2012 at 08:24

http://alanshelley.co.uk/99040LamorbeyHouse.jpg

Lamorbey House, Sidcup

Edited: 08/09/2012 at 08:26
08/09/2012 at 18:08

Lovely pic. Very peaceful-looking river, - slow and deep. Or maybe it's a long narrow lake?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.