Over 60s training.

126,541 to 126,560 of 133,490 messages
K2
10/09/2012 at 11:35

Columba
Please send link.

ceal
We've been watching as much of the Parlaympics as we could without staying up all night. It coincided with the Vuelta so .............

I watched some of the closing ceremony and thought it was better than the Olympics one.  I've done a fair bit of work in special schools and have been amazed by what the students could achieve so it was a gift to be able to see the athletes performing to such a high standard.

We also discovered The Last Leg by accident - a chat show about the Paralympics which was informative as well as being funny.

10/09/2012 at 11:45

K2 - apparently the link doesn't work if you're not a member of Fetch. Shall I send you the complete blog? (It's a bit long for the thread).

Official time now available - 2:36:09. I was 4th out of 6 in the F65 age group, and 1,328th out of 1,419 finishers. Have looked up age grading on two different websites and been disappointed, - 58% on one, 61% on the other. I'm sure I had some 68%s before now, - maybe they were the ones that were wrong!

10/09/2012 at 11:48

Columba
I have sent you a message.

It was drizzling whilst I was out running this morning, cool too. The start of Autumn for sure. My legs felt a bit worked, I guess as a result of yet again, sprinting across Victoria Station on Sat pm, in shoes that are easy to run fast in but which have no cushioning at all and are completely flat, I was also wearing a rucksack.  

I warmed  up for a couple of miles, av pace 8.21 min milling, av HR 118, but a lot of that is downhill.

I did 4 not flat out 400's on grass with 200 m' slow recoveries. Each 400 had 2 sides slightly down hill and 2 sides slightly up hill. The slightly ups felt like a hill at the time! I was concentrating on running technique

1.39 mins, HR 131/146---decided this was too fast for what I wanted to do !
1.46 mins, HR 131/145
1.46 mins, HR 137/147
1.48 mins, HR 139/151

this was followed by a few laps of the football pitch and then I walked back up the hill homeward.

total bits and bobs for the session add up to 5.7 miles.  

10/09/2012 at 11:54

K2
I never managed to stay awake for the Last Leg programme.

Columba
whatever the age-grading your time was a huge improvement on last time.  

Pammie
I thought you would be watching the Paralympics.

10/09/2012 at 12:24
Ceal: Just to say how much I enjoyed reading your Olympic/para Olympic posts - evocative and thought provoking.
10/09/2012 at 12:31

Tom
Thank you very much for your words.

10/09/2012 at 13:16

Hi Tom - I'd like to echo your words about ceal's posts. I hope you're fit and well.

NZC, as others have said, you did a very good job.

I've just had a pleasant surprise in the post. A £10 voucher for 2nd M60 in last Sunday's 10-miler. I was about 30 seconds behind the 1st place man. No way could I have closed the gap, even if I'd known.

K2
10/09/2012 at 14:44

Columba
Yes, please, though I'm a Fetch member - if I can find my password!

ceal
We recorded everything - still some to watch that I missed!

Graham
Congrats on the prize. Something to aim for.

In my efforts to get back to some sort of fitness and lose some weight I went for a 20 minute walk today. Plan is 20 mins a day for two weeks (on holiday next week so if the weather's kind enough, it will be more).

10/09/2012 at 17:01

Afternoon

Will check you out on Fetch, yes as i discovered only fetch members can read each others blogs

K2 if you can't find password ask for a password reminder then you can use a new one

Ran 7.83 miles today though full stats not available as forgot to start Garmin lol

but this is what i got for 7.31 miles

10:08
10:24
10:23
10:13
10:05
10:15
9:34(including 1km at a good pace)
3:15 (10:36)

1:14:19 for the aboveas after wednesday may not have time for a decent run as back at work and Christmas arrives next week

10/09/2012 at 20:47

Thanks for your supportive comments everyone.

Columba - read your report on fetch - fab report, felt every mile - well done.

Graham - nice to get a prize in the post - 30 seconds is nothing over 10 miles!

Ceal - I haven't watched much of the para olympics - the coverage of them here has not been very good, and I think they realise they have made a big mistake. Sure that will be rectified for the next ones.

Sounds like you really enjoyed them and learned so much from them.

Good to see you putting in the hard yards.

I've been now contemplating putting a late entry in for the Legend marathon on Saturday. I'd almost convinced myself but when I lay in bed last night and thought about all the hills involved, I thought, no I'd be crazy to. The awful thing is that it starts with a really hilly loop and comes back to the start then goes back out the same way before it winds its way up the huge hill up into the Waitakeres.

What I'm worried about, is that I'd do the first loop and want to stop! On the other hand if I was ever to do this marathon, I don't think it would get any easier as I would only be another year older!

I'll probably do the half like I usually do, which also is very hilly with a very long hill, but not as bad a long hill as in the marathon.

Or maybe I should just take my husband to the airport and stay clear of all this hard work instead

10/09/2012 at 21:45

NZC - If you entered the marathon, could you bring yourself to walk part of it?

I too thoroughly enjoyed Ceal's descriptions of the paralympics.

K2 - I sent you the blog as an email, but maybe by now you've found your password!

Been swimming. Felt very tired and thought I might just do 20 lengths instead of 30, but the water turned out to be so invitingly warm that I stayed in and did 30.

10/09/2012 at 21:45

No running today.

Ceal
I'm sure most of us watched as much of the Paralympics as possible. It was quite an emotional drain compared with watching Team GB.

I found the TV adverts very intrusive.

After many months of not much running but lots of walking, gardening etc. I need to try a few sorts of runs so that I can assess my fitness and where to pitch my training. The 5 miles showed me that it's about my current distance limit so I now have another piece of the jigsaw.

NZC
My view of that marathon would be that  a slow slog round 26.2 miles doesn't actually prove much.

Graham
£10 ?  Your round methinks.
JJ

Edited: 10/09/2012 at 21:46
10/09/2012 at 21:47

Graham - that was a really nice piece of post to receive!

10/09/2012 at 21:56

Columba, yes it was but as usual (this is the fourth prize I've had) I've been kicking myself for not staying on for the awards to be presented in person. I'd get a kick out of that. Trouble is, I'm never sure what prizes there are (not always advertised beforehand) and how do you know where you're placed until the results come out? I guess the answer is to wait anyway but often that's quite a long wait.

NZC, you're right of course, 30 seconds isn't much over 10 miles but I always find it's surprising how hard it is to close down that sort of gap in a race.

JJ, what's your tipple?

10/09/2012 at 23:46

JJ - I don't have anything to prove, I have run a 2.47.25 marathon albiet in 1981. And, until Rotorua this year, I had never gone over 4hrs for the marathon. Now that I have, it doesn't matter anymore, and as this marathon is pretty special in terms of Lydiard and where Snell, Halberg and Magee did their long runs, to be able to complete it would be pretty rewarding no matter how long it took me.

Thirty years ago I would build up to the 22 mile run to set me up for the marathon, but it is such a hard run I rarely venture up the 3 mile hill which is featured in "Run to the Top"  and run till you spew.

I don't intend doing that, and if I can keep my competitive nature under covers, I will be very happy, and yes Columba if I have to walk, so be it. I think I've now convinced myself to enter.

The Legend is the brainchild of a South African immigrant inspired by Lydiard, who lost his legs in a freak gas explosion about 2 years ago. Like Ceal I kind of think, well I could do this so I probably should. He will be at the finish line.

Thanks JJ

11/09/2012 at 00:05

NZC Sounds like your mind has been made up. I was going to post earlier, didn't. Was going to ask why you wanted to do it. It makes sense thought that was the one i've heard of it and thought it was the route they did for their long run I suspect this is one to finish is the challenge

Didn't know about the guy who started it

Columba read your blog over on Fetch very good And well done Know its early  but have you decided whats next

aws
11/09/2012 at 08:09

Good morning

Well it's a whole week since I last ran, but this morning I managed to get out and run 5miles with nothing more in view than to get all the bits working again making sure that everything lined up properly, no torso rolling, no shoulder swinging, arms nicely bent although not swinging up to chin, and no heel striking. I didn't bother about knee lift or toe out but enough's enough for a recovery run, I didn't even glance at the G, except to check the exact turning point on the ancient out and back route I used when I first started running. I was scarcely out of puff when I got back but I was in a good sweat for 15°C.

al

11/09/2012 at 08:52
Christine, FWIW, I think you should do it, without any regard to how long it takes. It's an iconic run and the route has a resonance for any runner of a certain age. As you say, with your past achievements, you have nothing to prove. Best of luck

tom
11/09/2012 at 11:30

Aws - that sounds really good, especially the bit about not being out of puff.

Pammie - no, I haven't decided what's next, but something definitely will be, it's very motivating to be working towards something. Some time in November there's a local 10 mile race (road race, but quite hilly, run round the foot of a large hill) which I've done twice before, but don't yet know the date and will be away for about 2 weeks in November so may not be possible.

NZC - if you're more concerned to do it than to do it fast, then it's certainly something to go for!

11/09/2012 at 14:32

Afternoon

Columba  no rush in choosing whats next but nice to here there will be something
It is motivating to work towards something.

Tom Hi nice to see you here agree with you thereif i lived in NZ i know i would be tempted

After yesterdays nearly 7  unsure how far i could go today  but wanting to make most of my days off as it will be over a week to do anything decent as will probably be sleeping over next week. Next Monday we start building our Christmas shop, yep, i know

so today planned at least 4 miles heres my splits though not trying anything specific just enjoying it

10:26
10:38
9:16
9:49
9:35
10:20
10:05
10:09
9:36
2:33 (8:23)

9.31 miles 1:32:30 (9:57)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.