Over 60s training.

126,561 to 126,580 of 133,989 messages
11/09/2012 at 14:38

Pammie, what a nice run - to set out without any fixed plan in mind sounds really refreshing and you ended up doing a very good distance.

11/09/2012 at 14:56

Good Day,

I am a bit late on parade today.

Pammie
A very nice run  from you today, there is nothing wrong with your endurance.

Graham
It is always nice to get one's race entrance fee back again!!!! Yes, I agree it is hard to know whether to hang around for the prize giving or not. For me it was easier because there are less women than men especially in the older age groups. But I have had prizes in the post before, but as you say it is always excellent to be awarded the prize at the time.

NZC
GO FOR IT.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You will feel so proud of yourself when you have finished the course. Rotorura will be easy peasy in comparison.
I have every confidence in your ability. It is good to have a new challenge.

aws
It is good to hear that you are back on the road again.

Columba
I really enjoyed reading your blog of the Lake V half mara. I really think you should have posted (still could) it on here, everybody would enjoy reading it the same as I did.

Tom,
What are you up to these days, what is your present challenge?

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 14:57
11/09/2012 at 15:59
Ceal - I've been running slowly, but steadily for about six months, without any injury problems. I've recently changed to a smaller, very friendly club, and I'm running with them three times a week and enjoying it very much indeed. At present I'm quite happy making gradual progress without too much regard for where it's taking me, though I sometimes sneak a little peak at the WAVA ratings!

The club runs in a series of closed interclub off road races in the winter and I'm quite happy to measure my progression in these against other runners. I am hoping to run a local 10k which has been dedicated to a former NVH club mate who died of cancer last year. My view of this is the same as Christine's, in that the doing of it is of more value that the performance. In fitness terms I'm currently about capable of about 23:15/48:00 for 5k/10k.

Tom
11/09/2012 at 16:51

Tom
thanks for your explanation of what you are doing. I am so pleased for you that you have been injury free for 6 months now because I remember well how much you enjoy running. A little peep every now and again is allowed you know!!!!!!!!!!!

I, too, have changed my head with regards to running, I now,run for fun instead of for pain.

However, I can still enjoy giving myself a challenge within my own training. I am also going to run/race a multi-trail local 10k in a couple of weeks. I have not raced that far for 3 years or so. It will be interesting to say the least. In  fact 5k is the furthest I have raced for 3+ years.

11/09/2012 at 21:10

Great to see folks re-focusing on enjoying the runs. I suspect the result won't be much slower than race-specific training.
Put my name down today for the Kent XC League winter programme.
Us old men get to race with the women which is a nice bonus (mostly).

Pammie
One of your better runs there.

aws
The break clearly helped. Onwards and upwards boyo!

Graham
Would a Newcastle Brown be appropriate?

Tom
WAVA percentages are very relevent as age increases 'cos former race times are unacheivable.
JJ

11/09/2012 at 21:41

Thanks for the support guys.

I entered The Legend yesterday, so now all I have to do is finish! It starts at 6.30am on Saturday morning, so that's a plus I won't have to wait around getting nervous!

Agree with JJ - WAVA percentages are much more percentages are much more enjoyable to look at than race times

Tom - so glad you are back into it and enjoying it.

Ceal - I'm sure your 10km will go well as you've been upping your runs lately and you seem to do your speedwork on the grass so are used to off road conditions.

Pammie - that's a good long run - what's your next race?

11/09/2012 at 22:03

NZC
Have a good run.

I saw NZ's Valerie Adams at the Olympics and at the time I thought she was unlucky not to get gold. She had great technique. I was pleased to see justice was eventally done. She's been winning a lot since then.
JJ

11/09/2012 at 22:03

NZC
That's exciting. I agree about the 6.30 start, it will all be over by 10.30'isssh. YOU will have all the rest of the day to recover!  

JJ
Have any of your roses been affected by rust this year. My climbers have, I presume it is as a result of all the rain we had. I sprayed them with appropriate chemical a month ago but it doens't seem to have made much difference. Have you any advice please. I see you will be in hot pursuit of the ladies later this year.  

11/09/2012 at 22:04

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 22:04
11/09/2012 at 22:17

Evening

NZC - Thats great i imagine i'll be at work or at least on my way when you are starting the race so shall be thinking of you. So the very best of luck with that one

Next proper race will be Oct 7th when i do the Southend 10km will probably do some 5kms between then and now - thats about 5 weeks well a little less now

aws
12/09/2012 at 09:54

Good morning

nrd (and still not out of puff)

al

12/09/2012 at 13:31

Good morning all,
Sorry I have not been around been a little busy with life.

NZC,
All the very best with your race.

ceal,
My 5k was a disaster for me. I really struggled to hold any kind of pace and then this gale arrived and my pace dropped even further. I just managed a 5 min per k pace and my effort level was way down. In a 5k I would normally expect ro redline for at least 50% of the run but on Saturday I could only managed 90s and that was at the very end as I was scared that an 80 year old was going to over take me.
I could blame the weather but I know it was much more about where my head was and my stiff legs and feet.

Pammie,
wow you are on the up and up. Remember you are not allowed to pass me at LFOTM.

Columba,
A bit late I know but I would like to say well done on your half, your consistency in training is paying off.

Heels recovered quickly after my 5k and I did an easy 30k bike ride on Sunday as my day off.
Monday was an easy 5k along the river followed by a physio session with a different lady. She agreed that my problem seemed to be stiff muscles in my feet and calves but she was also concerned about the imbalance between my right and left legs so more exercises to do.
Yesterday was a 10.7k pickup session with a couple of friends. Although my heels behaved reasonably well I struggled to keep up.
That evening I had to do a lot of walking and my heels were reacting badly to the earlier effort so another bike ride today.
To make my week worse I still have not received the part for my bonnie and I got stung by a wasp on my run again.
However wife and daughter are having a ball in Paris.

Mick 

Edited: 12/09/2012 at 13:34
K2
12/09/2012 at 14:11

So you're not feeling sorry for yourself at all, Mick. 
Onwards and upwards................

Who'll be at Nov LFOTM?

12/09/2012 at 15:03

K2 i should be there

Mick haven't got my number yet so you could be in luck  

12/09/2012 at 15:53

NZC - best of luck in The Legend. Your 6.30 a.m. is a long time ahead of our 6.30 a.m., isn't it?

Mick - oh dear, doesn't sound as though you're having a good time. Funny how often things go wrong when a crucial member of the household is away, even when those things don't seem to have anything to do with that crucial member.

I didn't think I was going to be able to go out with the club last night, as they start at 6.00 p.m. and I had a student coming to see me for an assessment at 3.00 (normally takes at least 3 hours) but in fact the student arrived at 1.30 so finished in plenty of time. Nearly everyone who came to the rc had done the half mara (the only one who hadn't, had done a 10k in Cardiff) so we were told "We'll take it easy, - just 5 and a bit miles" to which the retort came rapidly back, "You do the 5 and I'll do the bit".

I was very slow, way behind the rest of them!

As soon as we stopped running I noticed a very sore toe, and on getting home and investigating found it had developed a large blood-filled blister. Now have a blister plaster on it and don't think I'll be running for a few days.

As Ceal has been so kind as to say she thinks lots of people would enjoy reading my blog, I will cut-and-paste it. It's rather long, and if RW limits the length of posts it may have to appear in more than one post.

12/09/2012 at 16:15

This is my first ever blog. I am a blog virgin.

Last year I ran my first ever half-mara in 2 hours 52 minutes. This time I hoped to improve on that, and accordingly have been training conscientiously for quite a while; long runs, speed sessions, tempo runs. And tried to do everything right today as regards eating (large breakfast; then no more than a banana an hour before the race started) and hydrating (frequent, up to 3/4 of an hour before the race started).

May I remind you of my advanced age; 65-70 age group.

Lake Vyrnwy is within 40 miles of my home, and the course is flattish. The weather has been warm and sunny here the last few days, but oh joy! - It clouded over just as the race was starting, and from time to time a cooling breeze blew. Huge crowd started along a rather narrow road; I was somewhere in the middle, so for a long time there were more passing me than I was passing. Within the first few minutes one of the runners was walking back the way he'd come, hand to his head, blood all down the side of his face. I heard later he was one of the really fast runners, got himself patched up and went on to complete the race. He will have been one of the many who passed me.

A bit of downhill was followed by a fair bit of uphill; then we all turned left and ran across the dam at the end of the lake - a high and spectacular dam, we could see it long before we reached it, a multicoloured stream of running tops pouring along it. Turned right at the end, and now running alongside the lake. Reached the 1st mile marker really soon; looked at my watch, good heavens, 10-minute miling! Lots of tree cover, so even without the cloud and the breeze we are sheltered from the sun. People still passing me more than I am passing them, but for a long time was overtaking and being overtaken by a lady in blue; this was because she frequently stopped to drink (clearly not having mastered the art of drinking on the hoof) and I overtook her, but when she got going again she overtook me. But eventually I did leave her behind. We are running around the south side of the lake; basically it's a long narrow lake, but the south side has a couple of kinks in, to add interest. By mile 5 my stop-watch is saying 54 minutes, - good heavens, I don't think I've ever run 5 miles in under an hour before. By mile 7 we are rounding the end of the lake and I am battling it out with several ladies who are run-walking; I overtake them when they're walking, then they overtake me when they're running. I make an extra effort (though goodness knows it's been effortful enough all through) and gradually catch up and pass a small group. From about mile 8 I would dearly love to stop and just lie down on the grass. This side of the lake is less interesting, having no kinks; that being said, it is all very attractive, and I am trying to distract myself from the agony by fixing my eyes on a distant tree and thinking what a beautiful tree it is. Oh, wouldn't it be nice to walk! - But I know I'd never get going again if I did, and besides I boasted to one of my friends back home "I'm going to run every step of the way", so now I've got to.
Think my mind is going; was that last mile marker 9, or 10? Oh, here is 10, so clearly it was 9. 3.1 miles to go; am I going to survive? Legs feel like lead; can't keep the pace up; at least, don't think I can; actually have no idea how I'm doing except stop-watch is really quite encouraging. Didn't take a drink at the first two water stations as am carrying one of my own, but by the third one think it would be nice to have some water, - but they've run out! However, a little further along someone has fetched some more water-bottles in a car, so I take one and pour much of it down my back. Slight new lease of life. And it's encouraging that the mile markers are now in double figures. Mile 11; it now seems

12/09/2012 at 16:18

As I feared; it hasn't all gone. I'll try and retrieve the rest of it.

Slight new lease of life. And it's encouraging that the mile markers are now in double figures. Mile 11; it now seems just possible I may survive until the end of the race. Have long ceased to care whether I'm overtaking anyone or whether they're overtaking me. Mile 12; have now passed the end of the lake, and back on the uphill - downhill bits. I will maintain a running pace on the uphills, no matter what... and I do... Where oh where is mile 13? Must be close, lots of cheering spectators appearing... And suddenly we are channelled into a narrow lane and congratulated; didn't see a "Finish" sign but evidently have finished. Stop my stop-watch and find it says 2 hours 36 minutes, which is a PB by about 16 minutes. Can hardly believe it. And have survived! Stop running and find I can hardly walk; have to hold onto the barriers either side, reeling as though drunk. Someone stops me to check my number, then someone else stops me to give me a medal, then someone else stops me to give me a T-shirt (which later on turns out to be very big and baggy, but who cares? - Feel decidedly emotional.

12/09/2012 at 22:10

Legs still very tight after a 5 mile run two days ago so opted for an easy run of nearly 4 miles. Very aerobic.

Ceal
Rust is caused by one of many types of fungus. Most are wind-born so there's not much you can do to stop infection. There are several plant fungicides on the market but none of them can treat all versions of the disease so it may be worth trying another product.. Don't compost any leaves with fungus and don't leave them on the ground around the plant and overwinter the spores. Good hygiene is called for so the roses don't get re-infection next year. Incidently, most modern roses are bred with a high degree of rust resistance. A stressed plant will also be more at risk. Water in very dry weather and feed them well.

Columba
Great race report. You gave it your all and you can't do more than that.

Mick
Odd happenings are affecting your running. My suggested cure is more recovery between training sessions of all types.
JJ

aws
13/09/2012 at 07:47

http://alanshelley.co.uk/99041TarnHows.jpg

Tarn Hows

Edited: 13/09/2012 at 07:57
aws
13/09/2012 at 08:00

Good morning

5.08M; 1:03:56.6; 12:35/M;
1 - 12:50.2 - 1.00 - 12:50
2 - 12:49.2 - 1.00 - 12:49
3 - 12:48.3 - 1.00 - 12:48
4 - 12:38.0 - 1.00 - 12:38
5 - 12:07.3 - 1.00 - 12:07
6 - 0:43.6 - 0.08 - 8:44
9°C

Nearly back to where I was before I wasn't where I am now

That's good

al

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.