Over 60s training.

126,581 to 126,600 of 133,758 messages
13/09/2012 at 08:07

Good Morning,

JJ
Many thanks for the professional gardening advice. I have been taking the offending leaves off the roses, so at least I have been doing right there. I notice that my standard roses which we brought with us are doing fine, so I guess that is because they have a resistance to the fungi.

Mick6
You don't sound yourself at all, normally you are very confident about your training and your body, but that is not the case at the moment at all. It is not uncommon at all to have an imbalance between the R and L leg. In fact I would put money on it that most of us do and in the main this imbalance arises from the hip/low back area. Exercises are the way to go to address this imbalance.  I can only guess that the treatment is opening up areas of your muscles that maybe have not been working properly for a good while and it is these that are causing you the stiffness that you are experiencing at the moment.  Hang in there, you will emerge from it all in the shape of a Speedy Gonzalez.

Columba
You did very well to go to your club's training the other night. I am not surprised that you ran slowly. Have you checked with other members of the club what races they are intending to do and where. Maybe you could get a lift and share the cost of the journey.

I ran yesterday and intend to run again today.   

Edited: 13/09/2012 at 08:08
13/09/2012 at 11:23

I found it rather cool out this morning despite the  welcome sunshine. I am surprised that aws didn't mention it because he was out a lot earlier than I was. I could have almost done with my gloves for the first 2 miles.

A short run today, only 3.2 miles, with 7 x 100's thrown into the mix, it should have been 8 but I obviously can't count! I was concentrating on form and these were performed on grass. 5 of them done in 20 secs and the other 2 in 21 secs. They were not flat out but did have rolling starts.    

13/09/2012 at 16:50
Mick, you seem to be going through a bad patch but you've got the experience to get through it. Shame about your bike problems. A friend has been having no end of trouble with his BMW and swears he'll buy Japanese next time.

Columba, great race report! Really vivid.

I'm writing this from Pisa as we're in Tuscany for a week. Nowhere to run from our hotel unfortunately but maybe Florence will provide more opportunity as we're staying just outside the city.
13/09/2012 at 21:05

'lo all.
No run today.

Nothing much to comment on really. Maybe I should serenade the ladies? Perhaps I should sign for West Ham?
JJ

13/09/2012 at 21:44

Columba,
Great race report, you took us through elation and deflation of running the half. I remember when I use to run at the front of the pack and I can assure that it feels just the same for them, it is just over sooner.

ceal,
Yes I am struggling which is very unusual for me. I am still strongly motivated to run but just lack any zip. I suspect that I am fighting something but not sure what. I am very lethargic.
I am diligently doing all my exercises and more so hopefully there is light at the end of my tunnel.

Graham,
a friend is pressuring me to buy a BMW as he believes them to be totally trouble free. I guess I will stick with my bonnie, better the devil you know. 

I did 5 x 400 today at the track. It took an incredibly long time to warm up so I just took them easy but pleased to have got them done. I am too embarrassed to post the numbers

Mick

13/09/2012 at 23:06

Ooh Mick; I hope it all gets sorted for you soon.  Change in the weather, maybe? Some people find spring and autumn particularly difficult, whereas in summer and winter they're fine.

I have now officially joined the Rhayader running club (i.e., I've sent them a cheque). I did get a lift to Lake Vyrnwy and back; one of the M65s took three of us; he said he's a very bad passenger as he gets travel-sick, so he preferred to drive, and that suited me fine. We tried to give him petrol-money but he wouldn't take it. 

Aws - lovely picture, very peaceful. And still not a 13 in sight, - JJ can throw that tuna sandwich away, or maybe he already has. I am still wrestling with your "Nearly back..." sentence; think I'll look at it again in the morning, when my brain's had a night's rest.

aws
13/09/2012 at 23:46

Columba - The tuna sandwich, albeit ever blue, started off as a reward for a good performance, you know, PBs and all that tosh, so how it ever got demoted to its excessively low state of merely being a threat to the likes of me, is a complete puzzle. That's JJ for you, he used to be so consistent but now he's changed* to being constantly inconcistent. Come to think of it, that makes him still consistent after all. Now back to that tu... Praps not, it's probably best not to remind him. If we keep our voices down he may not notice.

Thanks for liking the Tarn Hows pic. Hmm, that makes me sound like Facebook. Don't go liking it on there will you?..... Pleeez!!

al

*I blame the Doodle, it's probably got bugs.

Edited: 13/09/2012 at 23:51
14/09/2012 at 08:07

Good Morning,

Graham
Pisa is the only place I have been to in Tuscany and that was a long time ago. I am envious because it is the one area I do want to visit very soon. I think we discussed this when we had lunch together. Have a great time and I hope you find a suitable running spot very soon.

Mick6
Do you take your resting pulse, either in the evening or early morning? If it is raised then this can be a good indication of what is going on in the body.

Columba
You are now a fully fledged member of a running club, it sounds great for lifts to races as well as training with others.

My interview with Sportsister is now on line if anybody is interested, not sure that there is anything new in my interview. http://www.sportsister.com/2012/09/13/talking-running-and-recovery-with-cecilia-morrison/

14/09/2012 at 21:09

Fist post for over 12 hours.

The tuna sandwich is clearly getting more publicity than is good for it. Has anyone ever thought of its medicinal benefit. The blue bits are real penicillin.

Columba
Well done on taking the plunge and joining the club. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Mick
I can no longer cope with 2 dog walks, a run and gardening each day. That's probably less real effort than you are trying to achieve. I have to do less and allow more time for recovery.
JJ

14/09/2012 at 21:57

Aws - I'm not on Facebook. Never have been. Couldn't bear the indignity of having my own children reject me as a Friend.

The Tour of Britain came through my home town this morning. I went to watch them, - they were passing within 2 minutes walk of where I live. Had to hang around in the cold for rather a long time, but a number of the neighbours were doing the same thing so had people to chat to while we waited. Elder Daughter having explained to me (while we were watching the Olmpics) what a peleton is, and the effect of cycling fast in a group, I had a better idea of what was going on than I did last year. First we got motor-bikes, then a car with loudspeakers making announcements, then a breakaway group of six, - well, five with the last one a few yards behind. Then, all of 6 minutes later, the main group poured through with a hiss of tyres, vanished over the hill and we all went home. 

aws
15/09/2012 at 08:59

Good morning

4.56M; 55:48.1; 12:14/M;
1 - 12:42.6 - 1.00 - 12:43
2 - 12:40.5 - 1.00 - 12:40
3 - 12:25.9 - 1.00 - 12:26
4 - 12:07.6 - 1.00 - 12:08
5 - 5:51.5 - 0.56 - 10:25
10°C

Was going to be 6miles but I was late getting out so I cut it short and went faster.

Columba - I omitted to congratulate you on your excellent half mara result and a great report. Only your second half and you've beaten my PB by 4min. Bleaaah!!

al

aws
15/09/2012 at 11:52

Columba - ToB - that's exactly how it was the only time I went to watch it. 'Twas in my teens and I cycled 2hrs (circa) to Virginia Water or somewhere, waited a long time past the announced expectation then there it was, gone, and all over. Except that I then had another 2hr ride home. I take it that by the main group you mean the peloton?

Re Facebook. I resisted steadfastly for ages, considering it to be an invasion of privacy. Finally, I joined last year to keep up with a friend who was going to Zambia on a church plant then he didn't use it but communicated via a private blog so that was a waste of time. The only thing I've used it for was to catch up with some relatives not seen for some time. I sent messages to three of them and received no replies. Then at SiL's funeral one of them came up to me and said he'd got my message but couldn't find me on Facebook. I concluded that my deliberately low profile actually worked.

Sorry, I should have issued a pnar warning.

al

Edited: 15/09/2012 at 11:53
15/09/2012 at 16:35

Aws - oh, is it peloton? I thought it was peleton.

Yes, that is what I meant by the big group, only it was more spread-out than when I've seen it in previous years, so I wasn't sure whether it still counted as a peleton (or peloton). Last year they came through so close together that I was aghast; it would only have needed one person's concentration to lapse slightly and they'd all have gone down like a house of cards.

Sunday's half-mara was mainly flat, and lent itself to PBs. Maybe your PB was on a hillier course.

Just done 5.25 hilly miles, - a circular run, from home to the lake, up past the golf course, along a farm track and back home along a quiet lane. Average speed was in the 13s, so I'm hiding from the tuna sandwich. Blame it on the gates; one was stuck, and after several attempts to open it I gave up and climbed it instead; the other opened, but reluctantly. And then of course had to be closed again.

15/09/2012 at 16:53

Good morning,
Managed a 5 miler, very slow and ploddy.

ceal,
I checked my resting HR and yes it is a bit elevated so something is up.
I did read your interview, she could have asked you more detailed questions to give you a little more room to answer but still interesting. 

Columba,
I have been sneezing a lot and have prickly eyes in the morning so I may be suffering with autumn allergies, who knows.
I remember from my duathlon days what it felt like to ride in a big pack and the boost in speed that you get. You just have to remember to ride in a straight line and not to touch your brakes. It is only scary when you have a novice in the pack or when you are going down a steep hill and the pack does not spread out

JJ,
I am in huge denial about needing more time off but I know it is hovering out there. 

Edited: 15/09/2012 at 16:55
15/09/2012 at 20:00
Columba - congratulations on your half pb xxx
15/09/2012 at 20:04
Started doing the 30 Day Shed DVD on Wednesday. Hoping to lose some inches plus the strength training will help my running. Have found out how weak my arms are Am enbrassed to amit that 500gm weights killed my arms. Hoping to move up to 1kg weights in the next couple of days
15/09/2012 at 20:51

'lo all.
No Facebook for me. I consider it to be yet another IT solution looking for a problem.

Ran 3.8 miles early this evening in the falling light. Very atmospheric. Didn't take a watch so no pressure. All very pleasant.

Mick
I felt very tired on my last run so I took two days off running and felt good on today's run.

Tracey
Do some press-ups.

Columba
Cycle racing on roads is rarely a spectator sport except when it's continental type race called a "kermesse". These are held on town centre short circuits so the riders come round every few minutesand you can follow race progress easily and see lots of  action.
JJ

15/09/2012 at 21:15

Well finished The Legend - 4hrs 13min 02sec.

Started out easily, never done that in a marathon before, and everyone was so tightly bunched, I thought I might trip over something. After the first hilly loop, we started out on the main loop that heads up to the Scenic Drive in the Waitakere Ranges.

It was very hot, and I decided to leave the comfort of the other runners and run my own pace up the hill. It was tough, and felt like I was barely moving, people in front were walking, but I really wanted to get to the top without walking.

The group behind me, caught me on the downhill, but I wasn't concerned as I knew the "hard bit" was behind me, with only "rubber legs" to go, and a few more small hills.

The pipeline was the worst bit, seemed like it went on forever, and those behind you could see you when you turned to run on the other side of the track.

I had a toilet stop before heading back up another short hill back onto the Scenic Drive to head down into Titirangi, where my Saturday group were enjoying coffee. They gave me a huge cheer and that lifted my spirits, and then I knew it was pretty much downhill to the finish.

I'd had a bit of a see sawing battle with the 2nd W60 on the pipeline, though I didn't very much care, my legs were feeling every step on the off road surface, but she kept on finding a bit more life and getting ahead of me.

She had a bit of cramp coming into Titirangi, so thought I might finish first W60, or how nicely they put it, first Legend! I did, but she was a very close second.

I don't think I will do this event again, it was very tough, but very happy to have completed it.

15/09/2012 at 21:36
JJ - there are press ups in this DVD and I can't even do girly ones Am working on it thou
15/09/2012 at 21:42
NZC - congratulation on completing that tough marathon xx
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.