Over 60s training.

126,681 to 126,700 of 132,587 messages
21/09/2012 at 02:20
NZC,
It is nice to get back to see my family as I am the only one here. I am in the airport waiting for my flight with lots of time to kill.
Your day sounds like xtraining to me.

Busbar,
I think you should check your garmin settings in case it happens again.

Easy 5k done today, heels reacted a bit
Edited: 21/09/2012 at 02:23
21/09/2012 at 08:24

Good Morning,

Mick6
I have no doubt you are now in the UK, or if not you will be very soon. I hope the flight was  a good one. Your 400's don't look too bad at all, and you were certainly in control of them.

NZC
I am sure that you don't have to do very much, except keep the running gently ticking over before your next marathon.   

JJ
I bet Mrs JJ is happy about the return of the family.

Impey
I hope your weather behaves itself on Sunday for your race.

21/09/2012 at 08:34

I had a bit of a busy day yesterday. I caught the 9.00 train and met a lady in the Grosvenor Hotel at Victoria. She is doing an article on me for her web-site http://www.notyet.co.uk/. It was interesting for me because it is not a sports related web site. But of course the interview was about my running. I think the web site is aimed at the post baby boomers. She told me a very sad story, she used to run a little and she told me that in 1996 she ran the Great South Run with her partner and just before the end of the race, he collapsed and died and she didn't know anything about it until she finished the race, although she had seen the Ambulance, but of course never thought it would have been her partner. Awful story.      

I combined my trip to London with some 'essential' clothes shopping. Isn't all clothes shopping essential. Then I had to leg it back to the train to get back home for a meeting. Over the last few days, including yesterday, in-between my other ventures, I have been contacting, by phone and email, MP's, Councillors, Jo blogs with a 100 leaflet drop and in consultation with one of my neighbours about a car park that is going to be built by Net-work rail, at the end of our road.

They  seem to be able to do it without having to get permission from the council because they own the land. So although, all my questions were answered yesterday evening, there was no satisfaction feeling at all. WE are all in a buzz about it and hopefully the Press are going to try to help. But me thinks it will all be in vain, but at least we tried.

Edited: 21/09/2012 at 08:36
21/09/2012 at 11:12

-----me here again.
I wore a long sleeved t shirt to run in this morning AND my gloves. Although, I did take my gloves off after a couple of miles. But it is just a hint of what is just around the corner. WINTER.

A short run, 3.39 miles in total, with 8 x 100 m's included. Most of them were around the 20, 21 sec mark with one at 19 secs.

I am tapering, again, for my race on Saturday. I am going to enjoy it if the weather will let me. I see it is going to be wet, cool and rather windy. It is not a course that is fast. There are obstacles along the way, including hills and even the downhill road section is a bit dodgy for running fast.

This is the read out for the race:-
"The race course is multi-terrain including grass, footpaths, farm track,
disused railway track and roads. Take care when changing surfaces. There 
is  a gate which will be open and a zig-zag between 2 barriers. Most of the
course is off road and part of the course we share and we could encounter
cyclists, dog walkers and horse riders".

Some of the surfaces are very dodgy and, for someone like me, unsafe to run
fast on, I normally almost walk them as there are some sharp turns included. But those particular surfaces are in the main short with a variety of pot holes and gravel and other larger stones. I have no doubt the younger runners won't even notice the difference!

However, I know the course pretty well. But I don't run the course in the order that will be raced on Sunday. I put down 52 mins on my entry form and anything faster will be a bonus.

21/09/2012 at 11:36

Ceal-Good luck with your multi terrain run it does seem a bit tricky,but i am sure once your adrelin kicks in your be fine.Car park does not seem to good but at least you tried. 

21/09/2012 at 11:47

busbar
Thanks, I meant to say to you. I think Garmin's have a mind of their own, mine certainly has, and won't automatically download at all at the moment. It just won't recognise me at all. I hope you mange to run next time with yours rather than cycle!!

21/09/2012 at 14:27

Couldn't help laughing at Busbar's Garmin which had him cycling instead of walking! Think how impressive those times would have been if it had decided you were swimming!

Seems extraordinary that Network Rail can build a car park without needing planning permission, even though it is their own land. I know the government's considering making it easier for organisations to get planning permission for locally unpopular projects, but that legislation hasn't gone through yet (if/when it does, no doubt we can all look forward to having our environments wrecked).

Ceal - that sounds like quite a course you've got coming up for your race on Sunday. Best of luck with it. No risk of getting lost, I hope? - That would be my personal concern in a multi-terrain race like that.

JJ - when I googled "Bombay Sapphire" the first suggestion was for a website with an "adult" warning beside it, so I jumped to the conclusion that it was some esoteric perversion. But actually it was probably just to a website selling the stuff. I went to the Wikipaedia suggestion to find out more.   

21/09/2012 at 16:08

'lo all.
This morning I did the first proper road run of my comeback; run number 7. It was 4 fairly flat miles. Splits were:
9:35
9:33
9:43
10:25  Cream crackered and not really concentrating. Warming down over the last bit.
Total 39:17 and about 9:45 average miling.
Not too bad for a first attempt and still at least a stone overweight. Any conversation while running would not have been very intelligent.

NZC
As Bombay Sapphire was well known to you I will draw the obvious conclusions

Columba
Sorry it wasn't as "adult" as you may have hoped.

Ceal
Your race sounds very pleasant. It will be hard work but quite satisfying. At least it will be dry. Certainly there aren't any time pressures.
MrsJJ has already been to Oxford twice.
If you have to have a car park nearby then a staion car park is the best sort. Usage is largely restricted to the morning and evening rush hours
JJ

Edited: 21/09/2012 at 16:09
aws
21/09/2012 at 16:29

nrd - unintentional. I didn't wake up early enough and I had to go out early for my painting class.

NZC -  (you know what I mean)

JJ, Columba - I didn't know Bombay Sapphire and I still don't, not in the fullest sense anyway. The only g I have anything to do with is my 305, apart from Our Father of course, but then He's G, isn't He?

al

21/09/2012 at 19:15

JJ,

Nice comeback miles.  You'll soon lose a lot of that stone once the running routine is kept up.

Ceal,
Sounds a rather formidable course but at least you know it !  I'm sure you will enjoy it, good luck be with you.

Got rid of the 10ft high sunflowers as they have had their day.  Shame that, they are my favourite, anyway lopped tops off to save the seeds.

Miserable day continuous grey skies with rain or drizzle most of the time.  Cool too at 53f.  Nice though for running.  I kept it only at a couple of miles, easy at that, with only a short burst at 9.15 pace for 1/4 mile.  Trying to keep legs fresh as poss for Sunday.  Hopefully the forecast rain will stay down there for you guys darn sarf

21/09/2012 at 19:33

I've got some dark Lindt chocolate with wasabi.  Definitely an acquired taste.
Kitchen is now finished except for the stone worktops being installed on Monday.

Impey
Thanks. The weight loss will be fairly slow because I've no intention of running the sort of mileage I've done in the past.

10' sunflowers must have been very impressive.

21/09/2012 at 20:44

JJ - I wonder how dark Lindt chococate with wasabi, and a bit of Bombay Sapphire would go down? Think that would be an awful mix! very burny!

Well done on the run.

Ceal - you lead a very busy life. Very sad story told to you by the interviewer. Good luck with your race/races, the LFOM will be hot on the hills of this off-road one won't it!

busbar - that's another reason why I don't have a garmin - I'm sure I wouldn't know how to use it!

Had a hard but wonderful day yesterday. Son had a day off and decided it was time to do a section of the Hilary trail. Daughter and grandaughter came too for the first part, and they turned back and met us at the finish with the car.

It was just not what I needed, mud, mud and more mud, very narrow track, with big tree roots, very steep terrain, both up and down. We were out for a very long time - about 3 hrs I think.

It was great when we finally saw our destination, washed off in the sea, and we all had a very much deserved brunch at a cafe. I was a very tired girl.

Edited: 21/09/2012 at 20:46
21/09/2012 at 22:21

NZC
Enough Bombay Sapphire would probably make it palatible.

That was certainly a tough day.
JJ

aws
22/09/2012 at 07:50

Good morning

6.04M; 1:15:15.2; 12:27/M;
1 - 12:48.3 - 1.00 - 12:48
2 - 12:45.0 - 1.00 - 12:45
3 - 12:40.1 - 1.00 - 12:40
4 - 12:42.3 - 1.00 - 12:42
5 - 12:17.8 - 1.00 - 12:18
6 - 11:37.5 - 1.00 - 11:38
7 - 0:24.2 - 0.04 - 9:41
8°C

Uneventful

al

22/09/2012 at 12:32

Good Morning, or it could be Good Afternoon,

It is a beautiful sunny day in this neck of the woods.

JJ
A good start to your renewed running career. Keep up the good work.

The car park is already a regular station car park. They are going to make it a single storey car park, so raising the height, which doesn't affect us, but one road, when the tree lose their leaves will have a horrible view. What does affect us is that the number of cars that the car park accommodates has been raised by 100. I am still creating letters etc.

Columba
Net-work rail etc are able to what they want with their land because of a very old Railway Act which is still operational and it seems no one can do anything about it. It contains many clauses which cover them for just about everything. 

NZC
You day yesterday sounds a bit full on. How do you feel today? Were you running most of the time? All that mud, a big yuck from me on that one!

If you can work a pc then you would be able to work a Garmin!   

Impey
Our sunflowers are still ok at the moment, but they were very late flowering, very.   

Edited: 22/09/2012 at 12:32
22/09/2012 at 18:30

Loads of gardening today. Removing summer bedding and changing over to spring bedding.
The weather forecast promises very heavy rain tomorrow.Bought a yucca called Banana Split and a streptocarpus "Katie".

ceal
Even if you can't see the car park you don't need double the number of cars.

aws
You have firmly dispatched the 13s to the recycle bin so a new target is called for, How about every run having 2 x 11 min miles? You already have one that's ready made.

JJ

22/09/2012 at 19:57

Ceal - you must be hugely disappointed at the railway's plans to increase the size of the car park.

JJ - hope you've got plenty of room for the yucca - they spread like wildfire.

Pretty much had a rest day yesterday, just a wee walk with Mae, just chilling out with the family - very nice. Taught eldest gdaughter how to make my version of samoosas.

It's been a long time since I had a one on one with her, the littlest one usually demands all my attention. Time is moving on, and so are both of them, lovely to be able to see them grow over the years.

22/09/2012 at 20:04

NZC
The yucca is large but it's in a large pot to control it. Max height is 1 metre. it has wonderful gold leaves striped with green. Our climate also controls them.
JJ

22/09/2012 at 22:06

JJ - dark chocolate with wasabi, especially if accompanied by Bombay sapphire, doesn't sound to me quite the thing for someone trying to lose a stone in weight.

Aws - again, not a 13 in sight.

NZC - three hours of mud, steep hills and tree-roots, - you're welcome to them! I presume you were carrying something to drink, if not something to eat?

Impey/JJ - I love those very tall sunflowers, but don't think there's much point in trying to grow them here because we get a lot of windy weather. Or do you fasten yours to something?

Misty and cold here to begin with; then the sun broke through and it was lovely to look at but with a chilly breeze. I ran 7 and a half miles in the early afternoon. First of all I thought I was underdressed, but after 2 and a half miles began to feel I was overdressed, but that was only because the wind dropped for a while.

23/09/2012 at 10:54

JJ, I love dark chocolate with ginger, but not sure about wasabi - would be willing to try though.

Quite a trail challenge, NZC, a day of cooking with granddaughter plus a gentle dog walk sounds just right after that!

Our sunflowers (and sweetcorn) have been targetted by squirrels.

The rain has arrived. I am on day 15 of my 5 x 50 challenge. I went out on the club run on Friday, and did just over 6 miles. We definitely need the head-torches again now. Yesterday I ran the long way round to the allotment and met OH to pick produce. We are still getting a lot of runner beans, french beans and mange-tout peas. This morning had a shortish 4 mile trail run, which was luckily completed before the rain got heavy. I can now watch the F1 and go to a friend's surprise 60th party - should be a full and enjoyable day. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.