Over 60s training.

126,721 to 126,740 of 134,161 messages
24/09/2012 at 18:47

Ceal,

Another brilliant race from you!   Excellent 5k time and a resulting fantastic age percentage,  well done young lady

Graham,

Sorry to hear of your fall due to some kind of wire tripping you up.   But very well done on the 5k pb.  As others have said sub 20 is getting nearer.

24/09/2012 at 19:29

Bit late with mention of yesterday's 10k (TenTenTen) race but have been waiting for  official result first.

Weather was kind, with little wind,no rain and just some weak watery sunshine at first.   I did a little warmup of about a mile before lining up or rather queueing (!) up for the start.  Positioned well back, didn't fancy being tripped up by the passing faster bodies.

The course was a 2 lapper of mixed terrain of grass, road, wooded trails, tree roots and rocks included with a nasty steep hill in the mix.
Set off on grass field for a few hundred yards before joining the road(closed to traffic) which was though slight ,noticeably rising.  At 0.7m we entered the next park and up that steep grassy slope, I struggled to run all of it, and at the top there was a holdup due to channelling onto the narrow wooded (and rugged) trail.  For the next mile it was a case of stop and start with occasional congestion of runners. This made me think it's a good job I'm using this as a training run , hardly worth busting a gut for! Soon a sharp turn down stone steps to run on park path and another undulating trail as we re-entered Endcliffe Park. Second lap was a more or less a repeat of the first, run around the grass zone, road and the steep grassy slope which by now was too slippery to run. This time I could only walk up it, others were same. By the time I saw the finish in front of me I couldn't pick up a final faster pace even on the grass surface. Legs were not willing !
All in all, interesting route. good test of fitness and balance to avoid falls in places.

Mile laps here....doesn't look good but at least it shows how paces are forced to vary!         11.14, 10.48, 9.15, 11.51, 11.02, 9.32 and 0.58s.
Official (tagged) time  64m.40s.   Finished 661 out of 772.
Not surprised with my time as it's only the second 10k in 12 months.

24/09/2012 at 19:40

Impey, sounds a really hard-core multi-terrain race! Were there any other M70s there? I bet your time was competitive if there were. Plenty of chances to come a cropper so good that you finished unscathed.

24/09/2012 at 19:47

Laptop is running slow today . Mick, where are you?

Impey
If nothing else it was a great training run. The time's a bit irrelevent really.
JJ

24/09/2012 at 20:23

Columba - yes, I did have a drink with me and my son carried a few lollies to keep us going on the track.

That was a good solid 7 and a half miles!

Diana - running with head torches - that's different, reminds me of night orienteering.

Ceal - fab run - great age-grading, shame the timing was a bit out.

busbar - great training going on, looking good for your marathon.

Graham - a PB despite your fall - congrats, what age-grading did you get?

JJ - you'll be glad to see the back of those workmen!

Impey - nice work.

I ran just over 4 miles with Mae in Cornwall Park. Lots of sheep with their lambs. We tried very hard to steer clear of them. Mae is very good, not interested in them at all, but one sheep who was as big as Mae, and Mae is a big dog, wanted to have a go at us - most unusual, thought she would run a mile! I don't think she had any lambs either. I thought "she" might have been a ram, but I don't think so.

24/09/2012 at 20:28

Christine, ah, lambs. Wish it were Spring here...

My AG was 79.89 although in three weeks it would have been over 80.

Edited: 24/09/2012 at 20:35
24/09/2012 at 21:18

NZC
All work should be finished by Wednesday. Mostly the workmen are quite amusing.

Graham
That's an excellent age group %. Well done.
JJ

25/09/2012 at 00:24

Graham/JJ,

It was pleasing to avoid falls or suffer  injury effects in this kind of race. More attention needed to training now before the next 10k whenever that'll be. 

Don't know if there were any other over70s as the results bunch everyone over 40 as just "vet 40".    

Next day,(Monday) with stair rod rain all day I took to the gym as a substitute for the recovery run.

25/09/2012 at 18:27

Afternoon

Graham Did we have spring this year can't remember it was all a bit of a blurr
Sorry to hear about your fall hope you are ok now  not too badly damaged

Ceal Well done on your 10km great time  Will you do more 10kms  i'm guessing further is out of the question

Impey Great running from you

Been ages since i was here been getting ready for Christmas last week still ran but short runs some very short runs And am only doing short ones this week due to Friday even though i could do more, but i won't

4.02 yesterday and 3.48 today been catching up with sleep this week

25/09/2012 at 18:54

Good evening.
Workmen almost finished. Less than half a day's work left for one guy plus the hall  to be tiled tomorrow. I collected 11 huge  boxes of tiles from the depot this morning and carried each box up my long flight of front steps. It was a quad-wreecking exercise so I didn't run.
That will be a complete refurbishment of floors, walls, ceilings and paintwork in the hall, stairs, landing, guest bedroom, kitchen and utility room plus three replacement windows upstairs. Probably the last time we will have such an upheaval.

Now broke except for the train fare to Hyde Park on Friday which I have been hiding from MrsJJ.

Pammie
Nothing wrong with a few short runs. Just make 'em a bit quicker than usual.
JJ

25/09/2012 at 19:20
Anybody had trouble with internet connect today? Can't get on via laptop or pc. grrr
25/09/2012 at 19:43

Impey i did earlier but thats normal round here 

JJ rens getting quicker esp on short runs even with hills  

Bet your house is looking grand now. Will you mis the workmen 

25/09/2012 at 20:28

JJ - so you won't be shouting lunch for everyone

Good luck to everyone for LFOM 5km!

I ran O'Hagan's 5km last night, very windy, but wanted to see if how I would go, so soon after the marathon. I was very pleased - 22.10. Have to be happy with that. It is a fast course, but I only ran 22.17 last month.

25/09/2012 at 20:57

NZC Well done at O Hagans that is good so soon after your marathon

25/09/2012 at 21:02

NZC
Nice one!   Pdq.
Tea and coffee only from me.

Pammie
It's like we've moved house.
JJ

25/09/2012 at 21:05

Christine, great recovery to run such a quick 5K so soon after the marathon. You're some runner.

25/09/2012 at 21:26

Nzc-Good 5k time a sub 22next i think.

Impey-Well done on your race a bit of a mixture of terrain.

Pammie-Keep putting the miles away well done

Done 12x400 at track tonight 200recovery between reps then 800recovery after a set of 4x400 if that makes sense.Pace varied from the quickest 1.30 to the slowest 1.36 Done a 2mile warm up and 2mile warm down

25/09/2012 at 22:05

busbar, some session. That's a great pace to maintain for 12 400s. Shows you've still got the speed as well as long-distance stamina.

25/09/2012 at 22:07

Graham - brilliant AG, - especially if you'd waited another 3 weeks!

Impey - well done, that sounded like a taxing course. Pity they didn't have age groups. Beyond 40+, I mean.

NZC - gosh that was fast, especially so soon after the mara.

Went swimming last night. Had a very active day today. Had a plant to install, which a friend of mine had unexpectedly brought round (wish I could remember its name, but I can't, but it may come back to me) and decided I'd better do that early since it wasn't raining but rain was forecast. Having not been forewarned of the plant's arrival, I hadn't prepared a place for it but took up some weed suppressant to reveal some nice bare ground, added some compost which in turn meant digging the compost out of the older of my two composters, and installed the plant. . (It's a ground-covery thing with narrow pointed leaves and spikes of flowers in shades of red and pink). After that it obligingly came on to rain, so I didn't have to water it. Next thing was to reorganise furniture in living-room, since the bookshelf which I'd painted was now dry (took ages, - considerably longer than it said on the tin) and decided on a major reshuffle, including moving another bookcase which in turn meant taking all the books off it, which in turn meant dusting them before moving the bookcase and replacing the books. Pleased with the final result; room seems bigger even though there are two additional items in it. Can't understand that. Newly-painted bookshelf has 3 separate shelves which will have to be painted one at a time as I haven't space to do two or all three simultaneously, and given the long drying time it will be at least the weekend before they will all be done and the books can finally come off the floor and back on the shelves. So I painted one of the shelves. Then went out to meet the running club for hill sprints. 

aws
26/09/2012 at 08:51

Good morning

nrd (forced).

I woke up at 5am to the sound of heavy rain so I decided not to run. I stayed in bed and slept on until 7.15 which was quite late enough - later than it would have been if I had run.

Columba - give those shelves plenty of time to dry or the books will stick to the new paint. Not good either for the books or the paint job. A week may not be enough.

al

Columba - It occurs to me after writing the above that I have seen bookshelves left unpainted on the top surface and only being painted underneath and on the front edge - effective especially where books stand undisturbed for long periods.

al

Edited: 26/09/2012 at 11:53
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.