Over 60s training.

126,741 to 126,760 of 134,164 messages
26/09/2012 at 09:00

Good Morning,

ANOTHER dreary day, more ran followed by yet more and more rain. Yesterday was the pits.

busbar
Good going on the track. In fact excellent.

Graham
When are you next due to visit the track?

NZC
Incredible 5k time so soon after your tuff marathon. I think in the past you have always been laid low after a marathon and this time around is the opposite.

JJ
Always good to get rid of people working in one's house. It is your turn to put your house in House and Gardens now.

Impey
My multi terrain 10k does not compare with yours. I think your course sounded like a right beast. Well done in getting around it in one piece.

Columba
You have been one busy bee. If the ground cover plant is the one I think it is, beware, I think it may be one that is certainly good ground cover but eventually can become a pest weed cover. I sounds like the one related to Russian Vine. But hopefully it will not be that one. Your hill reps were noted!

I haven't run since Sunday, but will get wet and do so later this morning. My legs still have the race in them so I hope that doesn't mean a 24 will appear in my race on Friday, but if it does, it does!

I forgot to mention, on Saturday (last) mr and mrs sharkie popped round to see me and have a bite to eat and a loooong chat. They were sort of in my area. They had been looking at a German Shepherd puppy which will be their's in early Oct.. Her name will be Jess.

Stewart went up Tapei 101 yesterday (Taiwan), it is the 2nd tallest building in the World, 800 ms', it has been topped recently by 300 m's in Dubai. He will be home on Friday, I think he will come in the door and say hello just as I am making an exit and saying good-bye. Not ideal, but that is the way it has worked out. 

The rain now is coming down AGAIN in an extremely heavy fashion. 

Edited: 26/09/2012 at 09:02
26/09/2012 at 09:06

aws
I don't blame you for staying in bed.

26/09/2012 at 09:53

Aws - I'm sure you're right about the paint; the same thought had crossed my mind. Unfortunately my brother is coming to visit early in October, and at present the books are in heaps on the floor of the room he'll be sleeping in. More reshuffling needed, on a temporary basis. Why does everything always turn out to be so much more complicated than is apparent when I embark on it?

Ceal - plant now identified as persicaria. I wasn't surprised to hear that it can become a bit of a pest. I already have two others of that kind in my garden, - Lady's Mantle and a pink geranium thing. Both attractive in their way, but do tend to get out of hand.

Good to hear of Sharkie. Is she still heptathlon-ing?

Later this morning I plan to hop on the train to Shrewsbury and get a pair of trainers to replace Saucony Phoenix (possibly just with more of the same) which are showing serious signs of wear. They don't owe me anything; they've done nearly 500 miles.

26/09/2012 at 10:07

Columba-Life never seems simple i just painted a wall in one of our bedrooms and the wife dont like it.Think we have a mexican stand of situation.

Ceal- Good to hear sharkie visited miss her brilliant write ups.

Columba-Good luck with the trainers.

Raining here as well very miserable

26/09/2012 at 10:17

Busbar - oh, dear!  Was she not consulted first; or did she like the sample but not when it was all over the walls?

I mss Sharkie's write-ups, too.

26/09/2012 at 10:50

Columba-The colour on the tin seemed ok,will just have to change it.

26/09/2012 at 11:37

Columba
Ah yes pescaria, it is very difficult to get rid of the roots are deep and very invasive. I don't mind the Lady's Mantle and geraniums, they are in contrast very easy to control. I would be very wary of the pescaria, it most likely didn't need compost. However wait to see what JJ says, he is the expert on these matters.

busbar
I think choosing a colour for paint is very difficult, and one truly doesn't know it's full effect until it is on the wall.

sharkie is still sprinting and jumping, in fact she is jumping well. She adds the rest of the Hep variety to her matches too. she is also very busy as she is now team captain of both of the men's and ladies Vet Teams.  

All the wind on Monday blew many of my plants down which included the sunflowers, which were of the smaller variety, well they certainly wern't 10 foot. They are now looking looking very attractive in vase in the house. There must have been  a bee or two on the flowers because the same evening I suffered with a very itchy burn type feeling on the back of my L hand. The following day, it was worse and my thumbs was bright red and the joint was swollen, I thought I must have some form of arthritis or something, but later when I looked at my hand again I could see 3 puncture marks. I am presuming it was the result of a bee sting or 3. I took an anti-histamine and all is well today.   

26/09/2012 at 11:46

I did run, I did get wet, my legs were tired, my 100's were slow

I ran 3.42 miles with 4 x 100's thrown in the mix, One of them took 20 secs, my normal time, but the rest were 22 secs. I didn't push them, my legs didn't feel like it. so that is it until Friday now. 

aws
26/09/2012 at 11:54

Columba - It occurs to me after writing the above that I have seen bookshelves left unpainted on the top surface and only being painted underneath and on the front edge - effective especially where books stand undisturbed for long periods.

al

aws
26/09/2012 at 12:01

Ceal - I think your stings must have been from something other than bees, a bee's sting is barbed and gets left behind in the wound so you would have noticed, the bee dies later as a consequence.

al

26/09/2012 at 12:43

Ran 5.2 hilly  miles early this morning. After 400m it started to rain. By 800m I was soaked to the skin and completed the run with the rain still coming down in stairrods. Flash floods everywhere and an additional soaking from every car that came past. Didn't check the time properlybecause I had long since lost interest but I would guess the average at just about 10 minute miling.

ceal
House and Gardens couldn't afford the fee! The feature I like most is the kitchen lighting. It's perfect daylight and no shadows anywhere.

Thought sharkie had retired but clearly not. Good to know she's still very active.

Three puncture marks wouldn't have been possible from a bee.

Busbar
That was a Zatopek-type marathon training session . Looked bl**dy hard to me.
MrsJJ and me have had many full and frank discussions recently about paint colours and wallpaper patterns.

Columba
Persicaria doesn't need much compost. It can be very rampant. I have two sorts. The first is contained by a brick surround. The other is a tall red leaved one which is much less pushy. The Russian Vine is a polygonum or the mile-a - minute vine. Good for covering an unsightly shed or brick out-house in 12 months.Then the trouble starts.

JJ

26/09/2012 at 13:49

Afternoon

Columba - The prettiest things can be the most persistent i think

Busbar training well and hard. Not long to go now i think

aws yes one thing i remember about bees they sting you then they die

id read about Sharkies new dog  not surprised about the name

3.11 miles today went round the gorge it was raining but lovely saw 2 other walkers well one had been shopping guess taking a shortcut. Saw ducks and a  family of guess rather deep meandering slope to get down to the bottom o course once down one has to climb back up again anyhow 32 minues and something

26/09/2012 at 16:47

Pammie, 
I guess the 'guess' were geese! You are correct 10k is my max distance for a race.

JJ
I can imagine how soaked you got whilst out running. The weatehr is now calm with a little sunshine peeping through the clouds.   

Don't know what stung me then, the 2 or 3 small penetrations are close together and look barbed. But I certainly wasn't aware of removing any sting. I have been stung by a bee before. Good job it wasn't a wasp because I do react very badly to a wasp sting.  

26/09/2012 at 16:49

Graham, sorry to hear about your fall. Now that the nights are getting darker I'll have to be super careful. OH has said if I fall over again, I will be banned from evening running! At least I have the option to go out in the day now, but I enjoy the varied training and company at the club. Great 5k time!

Impey, that 10k sounded a real challenge, but I'm sure very good for stamina.

Great 5k time from NZC too.

I'm impressed with the number and pace of your 400m reps, busbar - we did 400m reps on Monday, but only 6, and I was taking about 1m 45 to 1m 50 for mine.

JJ, that does sound like a major exercise at your house. We have demolished our old conservatory, and hope to get the new one built before Christmas. That should enable us to sort out our kitchen & living room next year, as we'll have the coservatory to act as a buffer zone.

Nice to hear an update about sharkie.

Day 18 of the 50 day challenge today, and it's still going ok.

26/09/2012 at 16:53

I too had a very wet run yesterday. Spent a lot of the time avoiding puddles but still got back with shoes squelching. Very smelly later drying on the radiator! The shoes, not me. I ran through Jesmond Dene and have never seen the stream with so much water in it. It rained pretty much 30 hours non-stop here, most of the time heavily. As you may have seen on the news, the small town of Morpeth in Northumberland, about 11 miles from me, was one of the worst affected by flooding. You feel so sorry for people forced out of their homes, sometimes for the second or third time in recent months.

ceal, I plan to go to the track tomorrow. Good to hear sharkie's still very active with her athletics.

26/09/2012 at 16:56

Diana, I remember you saying recently that you'd been running with a head-torch. Sounds like fun but quite brave and, as you say, you do have to be careful. Please take care.

26/09/2012 at 16:58

Graham
I did indeed hear/see on the news about Morpeth and wondered how far it was from you. Apparently we are not meant to dry our running shoes on radiators in boiler cupboards because they can shrink and I can vouch for that happening. However, sometimes one has to do what one has to do. I think the best way is to fill the shoes with newspaper and dry them in a warm room. But when they are as wet as yours were then---------------------------------------------- Have a good track session.

Diana
Those are very respectable times for your 400's  

26/09/2012 at 17:10

Hello again,
Getting use to being in the UK again, it does take a bit of time to adjust to all the hustle and crowded streets.

JJ,
I am staying with my sister in Marlow and have been here since last Friday.
Frank discussions with MrsJJ, sounds like you just do what you are told then.

Diana,
Your times sound very respectable to me.

An easy 10k along the river yesterday, feet reacted a bit so decided to rest today. Time will be slow on Friday if my feet don't behave.

26/09/2012 at 18:37

Seeing Graham's postabout head torches reminds me that I lost mine recently.
I find it very useful  so I bought another. It was a BOGOF deal so I got two. Inevitably within 48 hours I had found the "lost" one so I now have three!!! I now look like a breakdown truck.

Mick
Nice selection of hills for you around Marlow. I'm sure the streets are crowded because news of your arrival has got around.
MrsJJ has the better eye for interior design but there are occasions when I have to assert myself. You will know the "watch my lips" routine .

Diana
Ironically I reckon conservatories are more valuable in winter than they are in summer. In winter you get those nice sunny days when it's too cold to sit outside but it's very nice behind glass. In summer they tend to be too hot. Quite useful as a greenhouse too.
JJ

26/09/2012 at 22:31

Ceal - horse-flies give a triple bite, like the 3 corners of an equilateral triangle. Why there should be a horse-fly in your sunflowers I can't imagine.

I haven't got a Russian vine, nor do I ever intend to get one. We had one at the bottom of the garden where we lived when I was in my teens; it was everywhere in no time, both in our garden and beyond. I have seen one quite imaginatively planted to grow all over a huge and unsightly oil tank in a school playground. 

Successful day in Shrewsbury; bought trainers (same kind as the worn-out ones), couple of pairs of socks (twin skin) and a few other things not in the running line. I had planned to walk back to the railway station along the path that runs beside the river, but I couldn't because the river was all over the path.  Not nearly as bad as in Graham's neck-of-the-woods, though.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.