Over 60s training.

126,761 to 126,780 of 133,536 messages
26/09/2012 at 22:43

Columba, one of the consolations of living in a cold place like NE England is that it's usually one of the drier parts of the country. Atlantic weather systems have often run out of steam by the time they reach us and a lot of the rain falls on the Pennines, not here. That's certainly not been true this year though and we've had our fair share of the awful wet weather. As I know you have, probably more so. Let's hope we've seen the worst of it for the year but that's probably wishful thinking.

27/09/2012 at 06:13

Good Morning,

Columba
Always satisfying to have a successful shop. Your new plant is in the same family as the Russian Vine, expect it to spread quickly. No not a horse fly. The bite is not bad enough, horse fly bites are horrible and usually go septic. The bite I have now is tiny but the reaction was definitely that of some sort of minor allergic response. Maybe it was the stems/leaves of the sunflowers which affected me. I haven't touched them again as yet.

Graham
The rain here has been relentless since Sunday afternoon. But obviously not as bad as up near you. However, there has been local flooding round and about. I have for sure, had enough of it, and that is without my house being flooded as a result.

JJ
I think it depends on which aspect one's conservatory faces. Ours is cold in the winter, only getting the early morning sun. But in the summer, yes, it is warm in there at times, but we just open the doors. Like you said we have used it as a greenhouse for our tomatoes this summer. However, I think it is too cold in there to grow some more exotic plants over the winter months. But I guess we could try.

I have had a similar experience to yourself with your head torches, but with my running gloves. I thought I had lost mine, couldn't find them anywhere, replaced them recently and found the old one's yesterday!     

aws
27/09/2012 at 09:46

Good morning

5.10M; 1:03:30.1; 12:27/M;
1 - 12:24.9 - 1.00 - 12:25
2 - 12:28.1 - 1.00 - 12:28
3 - 13:11.0 - 1.00 - 13:11 (I don't believe this, there's no reason for it)
4 - 12:46.1 - 1.00 - 12:46
5 - 11:42.5 - 1.00 - 11:42
6 - 0:57.5 - 0.10 - 9:50
10°C

I recently lost my Swiss Army pocket knife. Couldn't find it anywhere. I'm lost without it so I bought a new one on Amazon. End of.

al

Edited: 27/09/2012 at 09:47
K2
27/09/2012 at 10:30

Hello strangers!

I've skimmed thorugh and missed Sharkie's dog so may have missed other things. Congrats to ceal on the MT race and Impey  on his race.

Graham - I joined you in the falling over brigade while I was on holiday - face down in a cowfield. Fortunately the cowpat I narrowly avoided would have been dry!

I've postponed the firewalk until 23rd feb to give me more time to plan and the gym want to make a full day of events around it so we'll raise more money from it.

My hol - a good time in Cornwall on a farm between Camelford and Bude. very comfortable accommodation in a 4-bed cottage, well-equipped with dishwasher and plenty of crockery and cutlery and very reasonably priced. Walks every day, apart from one when we cycled 17 miles on the Camel Trail. Ate at Rick Stein's fish and chip shop in Padstow (ok) at the same time as Richard Branson.  Found a great restaurant on the coast at Trevigue Farm, who also do b and b and have self-catering accommodation but a bit more than we paid! Other good food and not too many cream teas!

K2
27/09/2012 at 11:04

I may come to November LFOTM. I've booked the day off work anyway but the works do is on the next day so I'm hoping I can arrange an extra night in the hotel so I could stay over.  if so I might try and see War Horse on the Friday evening and meet a couple of friends Fri pm and Saturday am and afternoon.

27/09/2012 at 12:33

Afternoon

Ceal/JJ its the golden rule isn't can't find anything. Get a replacement and you'll find the original

Columba Horseflies - thats something for what i know today that i didn't know yesterday thread over on fetch

K2 i'm not working for Nov LFOTM so will be there too. If you want to do something after like last time let me know

Confession - i did enter VLM but didn't get in sorry  but i didn't tell a soul - No-one. A little disappointed may do an alternative

short run later will have to set alarm for tomorrow don't want to sleep in lol

K2
27/09/2012 at 12:53

Pammie - I'd already thought of that! There are a couple of people (one about to start maternity leave and another who left to have a baby a year or so ago) who I'd like to meet up with if possible so when I've sorte that out I'll have a think.   First I need to get HO to book the Friday night for me.

27/09/2012 at 13:35

K2 and don't forget. Pizza. Its a ritual now you know

K2
27/09/2012 at 15:33

How could I forget pizza?  

27/09/2012 at 15:38

Hello,
I am enjoying the lack of rain in Marlow and put in a comfortable but slow 5k around the streets. My feet are playing up a bit but I will still be good for tomorrow.

I found a small coffee shop in Marlow High Street that does a great Brie and bacon, with cranberries, baguette. Very tasty.

Graham,
Cold, are you sure about that. It seems all very mild to me.

Columba,
One of  the  things I like about the UK is that there are no nasty bugs or plants.

JJ,
I have avoided the hills so far but after LFOTM I will give them a whirl. I met my first eccentric old lady of this trip. She was out walking her dog and stoppped me and wouldn't stop talking, I got her whole life history before I could escape. All very English.

Mick

K2
27/09/2012 at 15:46

Think I'll get a dog..............................

27/09/2012 at 17:42

Tiler is grouting the hall tiles. It's an old ritual we have in these parts.

Mick
MJrsJJ was walking the dog yesterday. She was gone along time so it could have been her.

Columba
Retail therapy is always nice. Were the "few oher things" of any interest to anyone on here?

K2
Sounds like a nice relaxing holiday.What does Rick Stein do with his F and C that others don't?

Pammie
You need to run the Abingdon marathon. Much better than VLM  and flatter. Ideal PB course.

aws
Two blue tuna sandwiches........................................................!

Ceal
We never used our conservatory so it got merged into the dining room to create a much larger room. We don't use that very much either.
JJ

27/09/2012 at 17:42

See you guys tomorrow in Hyde Park.
JJ

K2
27/09/2012 at 17:52

JJ
Charges twice as much.

27/09/2012 at 19:24

K2, I suppose if you have to fall, a field is a good place to do it but it would have been a bit unpleasant to land on a cow-pat...

I had a track session this afternoon and managed 10 x 400m with 90 second intervals. After a slower first lap (still not sure how to pace these but learning fast) of 1:34, the other nine were all between 1:28 and 1:30. I think I got it right as I was pretty tired by the end but not exhausted.

It's the first proper cross-country on Saturday and it should be well and truly muddy after all the rain.

27/09/2012 at 19:35

K2 Great reply

Graham Great intervals

27/09/2012 at 20:45

Nice intervals Graham.

So do you think you will run Abingdon Pammie?

Mick - sounds like you are settling in nicely. Good luck to you and all the other LFOM runners.

JJ - hope you've got all your best cheers sorted out!

K2 - seems like you had a wonderful holiday.

I ran with Mae yesterday, off-road, so she could be off the leash - good run.

27/09/2012 at 20:58

K2 - hello, good to hear from you.

Mick - "no nasty bugs or plants in the UK"? - Well, nothing to compare with poison ivy, I suppose. There are adders in mid-Wales (yes, I know adders are neither bugs nor plants) but I've never seen one.

JJ - the other things bought were not of any great interest, nor expense if it comes to that. Skin toner from the Body Shop, socks (non-running) from M & S, a booklet from the church with the stained-glass windows. Until I know whether I'm getting any more work from the Aber direction I'm going a bit cautiously with money, especially as I'm taking a holiday (to the Holy Land, - officially a pilgrimage) in November. The trainers were essential, as the others were worn out.

Pleasantly mild and even sunny here. Did a sort of tempo run, from home to the lake, 3 times round (that was the tempo bit) and back home. Although the 3 times round were continuous - no breaks - I did press the lap button on Garmin each time, to see if I was maintaining a constant pace, which on the whole I was, - in terms of minute miling I did 11:16, 11:34, 11:39. 

27/09/2012 at 21:15

Forgot to say: enjoy the LFOTM, all who are doing it or turning up to watch, and I hope you all achieve your targets.I look forward to reading about it.

Also forgot to say to Aws - thank you for the suggestion about painting the shelves, which I am following. Painted another one today; only two more to go.

27/09/2012 at 23:01

Graham-Top quality session those 400s well done,have a good x/c race at the weekend. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.