Over 60s training.

126,821 to 126,840 of 134,594 messages
02/10/2012 at 13:03

Just caught up. For some reason I've had no email notifications of this thread for several days, but today decided to check it anyway and discovered you'd all been busily posting in the mean time.

Went swimming yesterday, and will be going out with the running club tonight, - this will be uphill bursts in various locations around town. And tomorrow I have a working day in Aber, - it seems the work there is continuing, though the circumstances are a bit different.

I'll keep an eye on the Serpies website re the December LFOTM. Am tempted by the New Year Serpies 10k, but may not be staying in London that long.

I note Busbar struggling with a 20-mile run, - it makes me struggle just to think about it! 

02/10/2012 at 20:23

Awful night for running,raining,windy,and dark but some has to do it.
Ran 7.8miles at 8.40pace was supposed to be 8.30 pace but felt tired.
Not sure if i have a virus because i have no zip at the moment.
Noticed i have 2 slight cold sores,just hope i am not going to get a cold.
Hopefully thursday night i can push a bit more   

02/10/2012 at 20:51

Lousy day. Too much rain.

Graham
You got the run just about spot on in all respects. It could become a regular job.

Columba
I don't get email notification but I've had several recently. The system seems to have reversed itself.
JJ

02/10/2012 at 20:56

I hope to see Mick's LFOM report soon.

Busbar - hard to run 20 miles by yourself. Take it quietly for a few days and load up with plenty of fluids and vitamins, you don't want to get sick now.

Pammie - good to see you are giving yourself plenty of time to get ready for your marathon in May - good luck with your 10km.

Graham - it's always tough to run x country especially 3 laps and great work on the pack leading duties.

JJ - hope your daughter and baby are doing well.

Ceal - you are doing some good training.

I ran O'Hagan's 5km again last night - 21.56 - pleased to get under 22 mins.

02/10/2012 at 21:18
NZC
GREAT RACING
02/10/2012 at 22:07

NZC--Great time to go sub 22 well done

02/10/2012 at 22:11

Christine, another great race!

Busbar, hope your cold worries don't come to anything.

JJ, I wouldn't mind doing it again to be honest. The only problem is what's happening at the back of the pack. Ideally there's a sweeper but that doesn't always happen and it's almost inpossible to run at the front and keep an eye on the back at the same time. Unfortunately too many people overestimate the pace they can run at and join the wrong pack. Not so much a problem when they know the route but they don't always.

03/10/2012 at 07:35

Good Morning,

busbar
I hope your virus worries come to nothing. I would suggest that you don't push hard on Thursday just in case of-----------.

Graham
I understand that some Clubs have a policy whereby every mile the faster runners run to the back of the pack and re-group. But I know that wouldn't suit everybody. Also they ask a faster runner be responsible every week to be the sweeper, one that won't get left behind.

Now where is Mick6? I know he had a family/friends Party to attend, he was very excited about that. I guess that was sometime last weekend. I am not sure when he returns/returned to Canada. 

I am off out today, meeting my Club Ladies Captain. We are going to Clandon Park which is a National Trust House near to Guildford. We were going to meet at Pulborough Brooks which is a bird and Nature Reserve, but the weather forecast suggests that a different venue would be to our advantage.  

aws
03/10/2012 at 08:02

Good morning

5.09M; 1:03:55.1; 12:33/M;
1 - 12:48.1 - 1.00 - 12:48
2 - 12:42.6 - 1.00 - 12:43
3 - 12:53.9 - 1.00 - 12:54
4 - 12:43.8 - 1.00 - 12:44
5 - 11:57.0 - 1.00 - 11:57
6 - 0:49.6 - 0.09 - 8:51
11°C

Uneventful.

al

K2
03/10/2012 at 09:01

Morning all

NZC
Great race!

aws
I'm guessing the weather wasn't as bad for you as it was here at that time -I don't think I've ever heard the wind and the rain making such a noise!

I hope you don't mind if I just (mostly) post and don't comment too much. There are a few things going on in the family which take up energy and time, plus a few work/friends things. I do need to log at least some of my "workouts" (slight exaggeration?) somewhere so here they will be. No need for any feedback, really.

My goals for this month: do something every day that gets me back to improved fitness. So far, so good: Saturday - 2 mile run, Sunday cycle to and from work (ok they werre last month but who cares), 1st - core, flexibar and roller session at home, 2nd - 4 lengths swim backstroke.

Cheers, m'dears. Have lovely days.

03/10/2012 at 11:38

JJ, hope you're not kept waiting too much longer for the grandshild's arrival. I imagine they will intervene soon if nothing happens of its own accord.

Graham, stunning times indeed for those 70+ runners in your race. Well done on leading a group and not getting lost - I know the feeling. I also know about the problem of keeping a group together when the pace varies a lot. Luckily on Monday we were doing 600m reps rouns a loop, as I had to push myself to see when the front runners in the group crossed the line in order to give them their time! I ended up doing my 6 x 600 in around 3:05, which was a lot faster than the time set for the group.

busbar, I think that everyone loses some of their 'zip' towards the end of marathon training, after all the long runs. Take care of yourself now.

NZC - great race time!

Have a nice lunch ceal.

I miss the option to link to the last post read. Not sure if the feature would be there in IE, but it has certainly disappeared from Chrome.

03/10/2012 at 11:44

aws, uneventful is good!

K2, little and often seems a good plan. I am just about in to the rythm of 5k every day.

Talsking of mny challenge, I combined an errand with a run yesterday, going with OH to collect grandsons from school & pre-school, off to the park to pass some time, then to elder grandson's swimming lesson. I then ran home from the leisure centre while other half delivered grandsons back home. 5.58 miles (OH passed mer in the car after around 4, but decided I'd keep going). Got pretty drenched, but was pleased with pace after the 600m efforts the night before:

Split Summary
====
1) - 1m - 10:07(10:07/m)
2) - 1m - 10:09(10:09/m)  
3) - 1m - 10:01(10:01/m) 
4) - 1m - 9:44(9:44/m)  
5) - 1m - 9:40(9:40/m) 
6) - 0.58m - 5:46(9:53/m)

03/10/2012 at 12:04

Diana d-Good run i think most of us got wet while running yesterday

Graham-Most clubs have the same roblem if you can call it that.
What tends to happen is people think that 8minute miles or thereabouts is not quick and  therefore may struggle. 

03/10/2012 at 17:38

Afternoon

A quickie
Yesterday i ran 5.27 mioles  but couldn't get internet working so couldn't post work last night so slept today all i had time was for a 1.11 miler today shame as i felt ok surprisingly

last niht tonight for maybe a week

I'll keep the typos

03/10/2012 at 18:49

Busbar - are cold sores related to colds? I thought they were something different. 

NZC - 5k in under 22 mins, - really impressive!

((K2)) - sounds as though you and your family may need a bit of tlc. Well done on the fitness front.

Pammie - love the typos!

JJ - thinking of your daughter... Is this her first? My first was 8 days late, seemed interminable.

I chickened out of last night's club run; had been blowing a gale and pouring all day, and was working today so wanted an early night - is that enough excuses?

aws
04/10/2012 at 09:10

Good morning

nrd

Columba - excuses are never enough unless they're enough for you

al

04/10/2012 at 11:45

Good Day,

Columba
It is not surprising that you chickened out of your run last evening, you may find that may others did too.

Diana
You made good use of your tasks and your time.

No JJ yesterday, I wonder if he is a grand-dad again.

Lovely sunshine today, warm on top but cool underneath, if that makes any sense at all!

I ran mostly on my wet, grassy and not flat football pitch. I made lots of squishy, squelshy noises on the grass whilst I was running.  

I had a 4k warmup, 22.52 mins followed by 6 x 400's with 200 jog recoveries. They were not flat out but I worked hard. They were around the 1 39 mins----1.43 mins.

The really hard bit was running back up the hill home afterwards.

Total mileage for the session 5.76 miles.   

We have a builder/decorator in again for the next 3 weeks. Time is of an essence here, we are going on holiday to France next Monday for a week.

04/10/2012 at 14:31

Just back from another track session. Same as last week, that is, 10 x 400m with 90 seconds rest between each lap. Times between 1:30 and 1:28 inclusive. It didn't feel any easier than last time, but of course there's no reason why it should have in that short interval. Hopefully running 35 to 40 seconds a mile quicker than my best 5K pace will make the pace required to bring my times down over that distance seem easier. Although there's obviously more to it than that. Lovely sunny day up here, with little wind.

Off to watch Newcastle play tonight for the first time in a couple of years. I'm making the most of us playing in Europe as it might not come round again any time soon.

04/10/2012 at 15:03
Graham
It is as much about raising your heart rate whilst doing the intervals as the pace at which they are run. The intervals make the body more tolerant to dealing with lactic acid. Anyway, another excellent set of 400s from you. You WILL reap the benefits of your diligent and hard work. I know how hard they can be to complete.
04/10/2012 at 15:13

ceal, it certainly takes an effort of will to set out on them and towards the end the temptation to lengthen the 90 seconds rest is hard to resist, although I've managed to so far. I may do a couple more 10 x 400m and then perhaps vary it a bit by throwing in one or two 800 or 200m sections. Not in addition, but instead of, naturally. Aiming to do the same amount of effort overall in the session.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.