Over 60s training.

126,861 to 126,880 of 133,761 messages
06/10/2012 at 11:49

Graham, you must have been pleased with the footie.

Columba, you guessed right about the realy marathon. It is indeed a team of 4, but as it is largely off-road, not quite evenly split. I think one section (not mine this time) is 7 miles. I imagine I will be doing around 6, and although it is sure to be muddy after all the rain we've had, it is forecast not to rain, which will be a bonus. Good arranement to get your one way run.

aws, over 6 miles - good going!

Pammie, well done on the longer bike ride plus run. Great to have found onother possible route. I've been finding a number of different routes to achive my daily 5k - useful to know they're there!

Squeezed in 3.47 miles yesterday, and tried a Bokwa class in the evening, as one of the coaches at our running club is leading it. It was quite fun, but I can't really understand all the hype, so would rather go running really!

06/10/2012 at 11:51

Glad you got home safely, Mick, and had such a successful visit to the UK.

I'll be sending positive vibes your daughter's way JJ, and hoping it isn't 3 days!

aws
07/10/2012 at 09:08

Good morning

Have a good day everyone.

al

07/10/2012 at 12:28
Good morning,

I ran this morning along a different trail to my normal one. Just as stony and just as hilly but with a more open aspect of the countryside which was a site to behold today, beautiful sunshine to enhance the views. I ran 2k with a runner from Crowborough running club.

I ran 8.74. Miles. 90 mins. It consisted of 1k uphill followed by 10k downhill 2 k on the flat then 10k back uphill then relief 1k downhill home .

I will look in later to see how Pammie has got on and possible JJ who I think may have been racing a x country this morning.

We are off to a small village close to Carcassone (France) tomorrow after breakfast for a week.
K2
07/10/2012 at 12:37

Have a lovely time, ceal. 

07/10/2012 at 12:41
I can't edit on my iPad. Ignore the 10 k uphill in the post above. Of course it is 5k down then 5k down! Silly me!
07/10/2012 at 12:47
Thanks K2

I. Also need to correct the time I ran for, it was more like 70 mins. Not 90 mins.

Most annoying that I can't edit.
07/10/2012 at 15:49

Race report and a copy and paste from my fetch blog. Its long so please feel free to scroll to the bottom for the finer details

Been looking forward to this  usually one of my highlights of the year. But its a bit hit and miss with weather a bit like the girl with the curl. Sometimes its good, very very good. Sometimes its horrid.

Thankfully this year was good, though the last week or so didn't know what to expect weatherwise this year especially with it being a seaside race

But it was a gorgous day a bit chilly as i set out but the sun came out and hardly any wind, well none that i noticed

Made my way to the start saw some familiar faces club mates and others. I had a few goals mainly a seasons best. So that was 53:41 to beat which i got at the Mel Batty 10km back in late August. Secondly i want sub 52.

The start is always slow and congested due to the numbers so expected those opening kms to be slow but hadn't anticipated how slow so figured i'd have to work damn hard if i wanted those targets and play catch up

So 5:32 and 5:42. Oh bugger. Then  an army guy came past with a backpack made it look all easy, so much respect then 2 guys with him wearing vests with the Words "Go Hard or Go Home" on their back.
Right i said  keep up with these fellas. A 4:40 3rd km oh shit way too fast. Oops but afterwards looking at Garmin maybe marker in wrong place or the one before  but i carried on the same keep with them one of them went ahead but still had the other to keep up with. Missed the 4th km marker so garmin recorded 7:50 for that mile. Still had the guy ahead of me. Often he'd open a gap but i soon came back 2:16 to the next marker the 5km point that is 4:54 km pace. So doing well.

BUT halfway in 26:02 i thought  my sub 52 min target blown  but of course forget about the slow first 2 kms and i'd easily make it up in the 2nd half though at the time i didn't think that

We come to the water station the 2 guys who'd come back together by now stopped to get a drink i took advantage and moved ahead  but they soon caught me and passed me and i tried to keep up again. I managed ok till the 6th km (5:15) Definitely losing it now just have to keep at it and just go for the seasons best. To add salt to the wounds the guys moved ahead and i couldn't keep up. Course kind of narrowed so less room to move about. 7th km in 4:51 (36:09) tried to do some mental arthmetic. But head couldn't do it see what i had to average the last 3km in. Wait till 8km and it will be easier it was But sod that was a 5:25km Buckle down now heard so many shouts for me/my club Dig in Right i say pass 10 people  just 10 thats all nothing else  so thats what i do first 3 or 4 was easy but had to dig deeper  to get  past then one or two pass me  so do i have to add an extra couple to my 10 of course i do That km 4:52. Thats much better one more km to do its going to hurt now 500m or so later i tell myself move your arms, your legs fo quicker then work those arms. Gawd where is that turn to get to finish all them ahead are going straight ahead, ios it there no its not. Finally they turn and i an see it. Heres the grass bit Try not to ber passed but i do  but crikey they come pass me like a couple of cannonballs
Finish stop watch it tells me it took 51:18 Yes so excited  didn't expect that

splits
5:32
5:42
4:40
7:50 for a mile missed the 4km mark
2:16 up to the 5th km (4:54pacing) halfway 26:02
5:15
4:51
5:25
4:52
4:56

51:18

It wasn't till i got home even better. i find thats my  2nd fastest ever 10km set back in 2004. My pb was set in 2005. (49:51) But i feel confident or is it post race exuberance that sub 50 is back on next chance will be the new years day 10km in Hyde Park

07/10/2012 at 16:51

Pammie, magic stuff! You must be so pleased. You've been training and running well recently and that's shown in your race. Of course sub 50 is possible for you if you carry on like this, especially if you did a less-congested race. It's got to be a real boost to your confidence.

ceal, have a great time in France. It's a nice part of the country round there.

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 16:52
K2
07/10/2012 at 16:55

Pammie
Brilliant!!

07/10/2012 at 17:04
G raham
Many thanks. We are looking forward to running along the banks of the Canal du Midi. It will be Flat. Also very pretty.
07/10/2012 at 17:09
Pammie
Of course I read all your racer report. It sounds as if you worked hard for for your very encouraging finish time. I am pleased for you that the weather conditions were as perfect as they could be. Keep up the good work and the sub 50 will be yours for the taking.
07/10/2012 at 17:44

Pammie-Excellent time and as graham said sub 50 is there for the taking,Done that run a few times along seafront and it can get very windy

Ceal-Another win for spurs,what could be better for you and stewart to have a wonderful holiday.

07/10/2012 at 17:52

Pammie - brilliant achievement, and a great account of the ups and downs of the race itself.

Ceal - happy holiday

Ran before breakfast today; a long time since I did that. However, it wasn't very early cos I woke up late. Enjoyed every moment of it; felt lively and bouncy, was misty and autumnal with the sun just breaking through the mist, a wan white disc up there in the sky. 4.18 miles in 51 minutes.

07/10/2012 at 18:16

Thanks everyone

and for your encouragement re sub 50

Ceal Enjoy France.
Pam was there today we had a little chat before and after the race

07/10/2012 at 18:53

Pammie
I hope all was well with her and David. Do you know what her finishing time was?

07/10/2012 at 19:15

53:24 the official results are out already Mine is 51:22

07/10/2012 at 19:22

Well done Pammie, sub 50 is in your future.

ceal,
Have a good trip and great running on the new routes.

Diana,
I will have to google Bokwa?

Catching up on my chores, pool winter cover on, deck step repaired and best of all, my bonnie is fixed.
Another rest day today, an easy run planned for tomorrow.

Mick 

07/10/2012 at 19:29

Ran 10miles today at 8.30 pace was supposed to be 12miles but garmin died again.
Still 2miles wont make any difference now

07/10/2012 at 20:33

JJ, yes, I agree about the intervals and don't expect rapid results. Shortening the rest intervals sounds the way to go but will be tough!

Mick, thanks too for your comments re intervals. A friend from my club has given me a training programme which I'm tempted to use. While keeping the overall total distance at about 4K it has intervals* varying from 200m to 1000m depending on the week of the schedule.

*I believe "interval" refers to a rest period rather than a running bit but  couldn't think of another word to use.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.