Over 60s training.

126,921 to 126,940 of 134,099 messages
11/10/2012 at 20:41
Aws,
The system here starts with an interview with the prosecuter

JJ,
Great pic,seeing three generations together is always special

I entered another 5k for this Sunday so I need to rest my feet. I did 15 mins on the elliptical, 5k row and then the usual gym stuff
11/10/2012 at 21:31

Lovely pictures, JJ; - lovely baby!

Aws - lovely picture from you too!

All I did re my son's parking ticket was write a letter.

12/10/2012 at 00:19

JJ - fab pics - you must be very proud.

aws - a very tranquil painting.

I've had a funny couple of days. On Wednesday I "ran" with my older friends, well, I ran part way with my older friends. 75+ man, has finally slowed down to run/walking. Very sad for him as he did love to motivate others.

Yesterday I mowed the lawns, then went to the beach with the kids, lots of walking and carrying involved! 

Today I feel either I've got a cold coming on, or I have an alergy. Went to the chiro this morning, so I should be at least feeling straight! Don't think I'll run today either, even though it is a beautiful day outside today. Think I'll pay some bills!

aws
12/10/2012 at 07:50

Good morning

6.04M; 1:16:54.4; 12:44/M;
1 - 12:41.3 - 1.00 - 12:41
2 - 12:43.9 - 1.00 - 12:44
3 - 12:55.4 - 1.00 - 12:55
4 - 12:50.6 - 1.00 - 12:51
5 - 12:55.3 - 1.00 - 12:55
6 - 12:24.0 - 1.00 - 12:24
7 - 00:23.8 - 0.04 - 9:20

Hard with a steady SW wind, 5+mph is my guess. Even so managed a 10sec negsplit.

al

12/10/2012 at 11:25

Hi all

just checking in to see how y'all are doing

JJ
many congrats on the latest grandchild and lovely pics.
This buying presents for later life becomes an expensive one when they all seem to be borne in months where the gemstones are diamonds or emeralds - as I have found to my cost  !!

Mick6

I looked up the article I mentioned  when we met in Hyde Park on here  - I had never heard of sesamoids before and had to look them up!! It just goes to show how complex the foot & ankle can be in diagnostic terms - and I am not suggesting that this is what still ails you!! Hope the 5K goes well for you - an intercontinental racer 

NZC
it seems strange to read about going to the beach when we have just had our first frost of the year earlier in the week and which has caused a a mass of leaves to drop off the trees.
You need to run more marathons - they make your 5K times faster!!!

aws
I have taken many a photo in Newlands Valley but never from Woo Hoo!!!

Pammie
exellent 10K race recently - you are really bringing your times down by big chunks.

Me?? well I am up to 15kg in the haversack for the 3x15 one legged squats on the staircase and the pain level is down to 2 or 3 at worst. I may not be able to run but my legs are awesome!!!

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 11:26
12/10/2012 at 23:05

Good to hear from you, TS.

My brother is staying with me and has been persuaded to take part in the Huntington Chase 10k tomorrow, - it can be ridden on horseback or bike, or run, or walked. He will walk it, and I will run bits but almost certainly walk other bits since the contour lines on the map look awesome.

aws
13/10/2012 at 09:03

Good morning

nrd

Columba - Watch that you don't trip over of any of those contour lines. They can be pretty dangerous when they get together

al

13/10/2012 at 11:43

Beautiful baby JJ, and the other female relatives aren't bad either!

NZC, I think a 75 year old still out run/walking would inspire many, but I can see it must be hard for him in comparison to his former speed. We have a chap in our running club who is 74 I think, and frequently complains about how slow he is, but still faster than me most of the time!

Keep popping in TS

Still keeping up with my 5 x 50 challenge - now on day 35.

13/10/2012 at 17:20

Afternoon

TS - Thanks

The inauguaral southend parkrun today 3 laps decent conditions. Ended up with 24:47 offically took 7 seconds to cross line  slower opening mile 8:13 shoelace problem but finished with an OMG moment on my face when i looked at watch 123 turned up was 50th an 5th woman though 8 seconds between me and 3rd

thats 58 seconds quicker than Hyde Park.

TS i remembered what you said when turning corners kept to the left hand side when i could and remembered

can you tell i'm

13/10/2012 at 18:51

JJ,
Fine pics of new baby g/d completing the generation of three!

Thanks for encouragement of my intervals.  Reminds me that I still have a printout of a intervals training schedule that you kindly sent to me 8 years ago.  I found it again only very recently....could still make use of that I guess

TS,

Crikey,  almost 2 and a half stones on my back would cripple my knees.  Good sign that you are getting rugby player thighs  back again !    You're gonna surprise us with a return to those early morning fast runs pds I would wager

Columba,
Aws mentions contours but I haven't seen any posts from you about them.  And strangely I haven't seen any of your posts for ages....seem to be missing?

NZC,
Hope the cold hasn't materialized for you, maybe it was some allergy. Hope your 75+ friend will still get some running in,  it must make him feel a bit sad.  I know it will me when I know one day the running will be curtailed

Diana,
Forgive me if I sound thick or missed summat, but 5 x50 what is or what are they ? 

13/10/2012 at 19:13

5k Parkrun day.

Didn't have my usual plate of porridge for brekky but instead had a banana, walnuts, raisins and small glass of tomato juice. Weather was fairly calm, fine but cold 43f. Wore shorts and teeshirt, asics shoes and  the warmup run before race made me feel just right for it.  Only snag was,  towards end of the 1.5mile warming up my left knee was hurting (It has been a bit troublesome when climbing stairs at home  and putting pressure on it gave a warning sign too).  Might have to see the physio if it doesn't clear.

The lineup had 419 in it and of course the first mile, especially first half of it, was difficult to steer clear of the others all of 'em vying for position. At around the 1/4 mile mark the left leg gave me some "gip"  and I just had to slow down even more for 100 yards or so. Cautiously I regained some pace and luckily I completed the race with no further trouble.

Garmin mile times.....9m.48s (!),   8m.49s,  8m.45s,  and 1m.31s for the 0.19m @ 8m.09s pace.    total time 28m.53s.

Official time 28m.55s  (4 seconds better than last week). Age % 63.46 , 284 out of 419.
Can't quite understand why that last bit after 3 miles  always varies.  I have often wished they made it a 3 mile race instead of 5k   You can't beat "old money" ! 
Spoke to the only other over 70 and told him about our thread which he didn't know about.  He doesn't take RW mag but he might have a look.  Whether he will or not I don't know,  we've had newcomers before and some never return to thread do they !

13/10/2012 at 19:59

Pammie, you're on a roll! Nice one.

Impey, good run from you too. The Newcastle park run's never beaten 400 but has been close so it's probably only a matter of time. Ours has a right-angle bend after 300 yards or so which doesn't help the congestion but soon after that it's not a problem luckily. Hope your knee's ok. Best to rest it for a while I guess. Usually these things clear up after a few days of that.

13/10/2012 at 21:02

Visit to grandaughter tomorrow then back to some level of normality unless an emergency occurs.

Pammie/Impey
Useful couple of runs. Would love to see you both getting up to 70% on age grading.

Diana
Thank you. Ain't I just the lucky one
It will be interesting to see how your 5 x 50 affects your racing pace. On the basis that I always preach consistent training as being more important than anything else you should reap considerable benefit .

TS
Impressive rehab work going on there. Any idea when a running restart is likely?
JJ

13/10/2012 at 22:37
Fantastic park runs Pammie & Impey.

I've got Brentwood 10k race tomorrow. It was postponed from July because of flooding to car park. Just hoping to get round it tomorrow.
13/10/2012 at 22:40
I completed the 30 Day Shred this morning. Going to started Ripped in 30 on Monday. But will have to have a few rest days before and after Beachy.
14/10/2012 at 14:06

Pammie-Good time your running well.

Impey-Thats a very big parkrun must be hard to pass anyone,

T/S-Hope your remedial work pays off.

Ran 9miles very slow today,so last long run before marathon but even that felt hard.
Think its going to be a long day on sunday somehow.

Diana-Your well on your way now to completing your target   

14/10/2012 at 14:43
Hello

Just a few lines from SW France. I will return home tomorrow looking and feeling like a big fat pig! Our B&B is amazing. They do evening meals too. All food has been of the best quality and every scrap has been consumed. We seem to have got into a routine at lunch time of visiting the local patisserie and buying a home made small quiche and a French pastry which surely must contain the maximum number of calories possible! But oh so very yummy.

Our weather was warm and sunny but after a storm has turned cloudy and cool.
14/10/2012 at 14:57
I have read back.

A few comments are called for.

JJ
Many many congratulations on the birth of your grand daughter. I love both the name and the photo's.

Pammie
Your 5k time is coming down nicely. Do you think your cycling has helped?

Imply
Bit by bit you are getting there. I hope your knee was just a blip.

NZC
Ummm you were doing so well for energy and long training runs, hope you are now recovered from whatever was ailing you.

Graham
Your start to the XC season seems to have gone well.

Tracey
Shredding now ripping, all sounds good to me

Busbar
Have a quiet relaxing Sunday, all the hard work has been done.

Mick6
Back home again and as if you had never been here. But you have and we certainly enjoyed meeting you again. I am pleased that you are continuing to be able to run.

Aws
Did I see a short 10 in the mix at the end of one of your runs?

TS
Sound like your legs are doing maverick things!

Diana
I too will be interested to see the result of your 5x5 streaking when you next race.
14/10/2012 at 15:31
Me again.

We have been running here three times.

Once along the Canal du Midi, 7 miles along the serene, delightful flat banks.

On another occasion we ran 1k up into the hills, off road, and thought better of its, ran back down and onto a verge quite road with vine growing on both sides of the road with hills behind them. The road is very hilly, the run was around 6 miles.

Yesterday we ran on the same road, without the addition of the off road bit.

I ran fastish, but with a controlled HR for 5k, there was some uphill content but on the whole it was downhill. Took a 30 sec breather then set off back up hill for 5k. HR this time was big time high! The time for the 2 runs came to 50 mins, I felt I deserved my dinner that evening.

I wish I could say the same about today!

Columba
Apologies for omitting to include you in my previous post. I hope you and your brother are enjoying your bottles of wine. Are you not going to do the race that he is considering this weekend?

Tracey
Enjoy your 10k race tomorrow. I hope the weather behaves itself.

Are Beachy and Abingdon on the same weekend?
14/10/2012 at 15:36
I forgot to mention that my last interview is now on line. It is different to others in that it is not a sports related web site. It is aimed at the baby boomers and beyond.

The web site address is www.notyet.co.uk and then click on my photo to take you to the page.

I have not found away of editing a post once it has been submitted, so sorry if everything I type makes even less sense than normal!

I will be back on here on weds.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.