Over 60s training.

126,961 to 126,980 of 134,141 messages
16/10/2012 at 21:18

K2-Real easy to lose motivation its a constant battle.

Ran a 6miler tonight very easy,just a 3miler on thursday and that will have to do. 

17/10/2012 at 06:17
Morning all

K2 - good luck with motivating yourself to run today x

Did Day 2 of Ripped in 30 yesterday and helped out at clubs First Steps. It was their timed mile last night. The fastest young lady did it in 9:32, which included taking her coat of because she was too hot. As I ran with her I carried her jacket.

Going to have a rest day today
17/10/2012 at 08:02

Good Morning,

yes, we are back in the windy, wet UK again. I ran 7 miles yesterday, 60 mins, 8.42 mm, av HR 130 and boy it was windy.

Impey & TS many thanks for reading my last interview. The questions I was asked were different to any others that I have had thrown at me in others and it also hoped that it was a face to face interview, yes recorded and one that could be edited.

My link didn't work before so I will put it again here now.  http://www.notyet.co.uk/  just click on my photo on the right hand side of the page.

17/10/2012 at 08:32

NZC
I do hope that you hear better news about your grand daughter very soon, so worrying for you all. I also hope that you, yourself, will soon be rid of whatever it is that is ailing you at the moment.

K2
I didn't see any British Narrow boats, I assumed they were all the French type, which, although very different from ours looked very comfy, especially the top deck where one could lie and survey the sky! It would appear that the few goals that you have are not doing their work at motivating you to get out and do the relevant exercise. I do hope the family stuff is unravelling itself slowly. I also hope you will soon be inspired by something which will trigger a spark inside you to get out and do whatever needs doing!

Mick6
I think if one goes further east into Kent there are quieter areas, but agree about the west side of the SE corner. If your 5k time was similar to that of Hyde Park with a lot more hills then you have every reason to be pleased with yourself. I think it looks as if your cadence dropped on the hills, may I suggest that you take smaller steps when running uphill and I think you will find that you will reach the top quicker than with longer ones. All the best for you next 5k race.

Diana
15.5 k covers 3 days of your streak. You will have a good feeling for the course now. 

JJ
thanks for the tip about using my cursor to look for an edit button. I will try it out next time I post from my iPad, however, I think I have tried that and all that came up was a quote button. But I will persevere. I think I have a 150% age-grading for eating French meals. I haven't heard/read too much about your running since becoming a g-dad again. I hope you had happy times yesterday with lots of cuddles.

Tracey
Phew you just made it, sub 60. enjoy your race at the weekend.

aws
I found a 9 and a 10 when I looked back over the last couple or so pages. Admittedly they were for the last couple of mins of your run, but the numbers were there.  Reading about your encounter with a crowd of people made me remember similar occasions that we have had, not when running but trying to walk through a crowd of people who had just got off a coach. No awareness at all.

Columba
Thanks for the H Chase report. It certainly sounded like a race/event with a difference. I had a little giggle to myself about you following the wrong group of people. I can relate to that, when I ran my 2nd or 3rd Hyde Park race, I followed some runners who turned out not be doing the race!!!

Impey
Maybe the reason your knee doesn't hurt when doing faster running is that one's weight is normally more forward when racing. You will be up on your toes more. A good set of intervals again.

TS
We had an excellent Pinot Noir in France, it was a local one, very light (which I prefer, certainly in the summer months) the blackcurrant flavour was very evident. I see you are taking your g-children to the Panto, I'm sure that you will all enjoy the occasion. Although I would imagine that they get quite a lot of Panto fun from g-dad at home

I am having withdrawal symptoms from the French Patisserie cakes.

aws
17/10/2012 at 08:53

Good morning

nrd - rained off, it reminds me that the top line is a greeting not a weather report.

al

17/10/2012 at 10:41
Busbar
What time will you be leaving for the race? Are you driving up or is there a group of you traveling together?

I had a short easy run this morning. 32.47 mins, 3.73 miles, av pace 8.47 mm, av HR 117, MHR 133.

I was caught out in the last 5 mins of my run by a very heavy shower. I got rather wet!

I am going tomorrow for the day to Brighton to look after Betsy. I will be leaving at 6.30 am. It is several years since I changed a nappy.

My garden plants are behaving in a very strange way, my Passiflora has many flowers on it when it didn't really bloom all summer. A clematis is having a second phase of flowers. The nasturtiums have gone mad. But everywhere is very wet.
Edited: 17/10/2012 at 10:43
17/10/2012 at 10:44
Thanks JJ I used my cursor, that being my finger, cans it worked. But no smilies. Do you know of a way to pick those up?
Edited: 17/10/2012 at 10:45
17/10/2012 at 11:36
Ceal - my mum managed fine changing my kids nappies Have a fun day with Betsy xxx
17/10/2012 at 11:46

Tracey
Thanks, I am sure I will,

I have of course changed many a nappy when having the older g-children to stay for a week at a time. But the youngest, Scarlet, is nearly 11 yrs old and so it is some 9+yrs since the last time.  

17/10/2012 at 13:17

Ceal-You seemed to have a great holiday with the excellent food etc.
Will be leaving home about 6am and be driving on my own its about 74 miles.
The drive home will be the killer, will try to post sunday night if in a fit state.

17/10/2012 at 13:34
busbar - good luck on Sunday x
17/10/2012 at 13:36
Busbar
I recommend you get out of the car every 15 miles and have a walk around even though it will make the journey a little longer.
17/10/2012 at 15:06
I don't recommend having to pack a caravan away after doing a marathon.
17/10/2012 at 17:59

NZC, hope things are improving with your granddaughter.

ceal & Columba, enjoy your  time with yours!

Columba, I too have followed runners doing the wrong route (but by mistake in their case). At least being slower, they had realised and doubled back before I caught them, so my detour was less!

TS, since we've just had thunder and lighting, and heavy rain, I'd be happy to cary over some miles from a longer run, but I would feel I had cheated, so guess I will brave the elements and go to club. I'll not push hard though, as I have a cold and cough.

Hope you find something to fire up your motivation K2.

All the best for Sunday, busbar. You deserve to do well.

Tracey, I would have thought you could get some good stretching in while packing up a caravan! 

K2
17/10/2012 at 18:00

Run done.   2.something miles and I think the knees are ok.

ceal
If you'd seen "our" narrowboat you wouldn't have mistaken it for a French one.  40' long and with a steel hull - the glasssfibre boats got very nervous when we were in the locks. 
The goals are fine - it's the "why" of one of them that I found difficult to pin down - and when I did do so it was very uncomfortable.  I think the spark is there. Ok so far.
Family stuff unravelling very well at the moment, thanks. K4's allotment was waterlogged.

busbar
Good luck on Sunday.

17/10/2012 at 18:44
Diana - am a expert at packing a caravan up after a marathon

Done it straight after Abingdon, 2 x Brighton and 2 x Beachy. Other times we've been lucky and stayed a few days after.
17/10/2012 at 19:19

Usual rest yesterday, very rarely I run Tuesdays!  In fact, it's better for me being older to have breaks between run days. Even a couple of days seems to work for me.  Then again I have no serious races in the next couple of months, what I do now is enough to stay fit and for 5k stuff.

Not as cool as recently and the sun shone at times.  Exception was some fractured shower cloud (remains of heavy showers over the Pennines) which produced occasional heavy spots of rain. There was a beautiful rainbow against a eastern blue sky background.  Heard several robins during the run, also a couple of stonechats.

Same lake run....
Mile laps:- 11.44  10.44, 10.16 and 9.42 and then chucked in just a couple of 400s.
First a 0.13m jog at 11.13 pace then :-
0.25m.....2m.05s.....8m.28s pace
0.25m.....2m.03s.....8m.17s pace
A 11.43 mile to finish off making a total of 5.7 miles on feet.

Good luck to both Tracey and Busbar in your respective Sunday races.

17/10/2012 at 20:34

Thanks to all for good wishes for sunday,

17/10/2012 at 21:37

Ceal
Not much running but I managed 3.5 off road today. Still getting lots of exercise though via doodle walking and gardening.

The soil is still warm and the rain gives the plants another boost. It's been very dry in the late summer so things slowed down.

Re smilies. I have a 'toolbar' at the top of the box in which I write my posts. It contains a smilie and a drop down to others.

TS
Oh no you didn't! 

Pammie
It's just a matter of wanting to do it then you adjust the training accordingly.

Tracey
Say hello to the Seven Sisters for me.

Busbar
Good luck and remember to start at a realistic pace.
JJ

aws
18/10/2012 at 07:44

Good morning

5.10M; 1:04:13.9; 12:36/M;
1 - 12:47.6 - 1.00 - 12:48
2 - 12:46.9 - 1.00 - 12:47
3 - 12:52.7 - 1.00 - 12:53
4 - 12:50.2 - 1.00 - 12:50
5 - 12:06.5 - 1.00 - 12:07
6 - 0:49.9 - 0.10 - 8:28
12°C

Dry when I went out; it started to rain at mile 2 so I told it to go away and come back later. It did and then it got me on the last half mile - I should've said, "Don't come back till I've finished the run."

al

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.