Over 60s training.

126,981 to 127,000 of 133,772 messages
18/10/2012 at 13:36

aws,
You seem to have the ear of the right people though.

JJ,
Your running is much reduced, do you have injuries or is it a lack of motivation?

TS,
Yes feet are complicated. I am not so much injured rather my feet seem to tire and my heels get sore as a result.
I like the sound of your one legged squats. I still do my two legged versions but I can't say I have noticed any difference in my running. Come to think of it, after three years of regular gym work I now run much slower.

Busbar,
Good luck on Sunday, I am looking forward to your race report.

5k easy yesterday, my heels did not like the hilly race on Sunday so they are taking their time in recovering.

It is a beautiful sunny and warm autumn day here today I am tempted to go for a long bike ride that is pedal powered and not the bonnie which is now behaving well. 
Maybe I should do both but it would also be a nice day for a run by the river, decisions decisions, it is tough being retired.

Mick 

18/10/2012 at 16:34
Mick - not long and your be running on the river
18/10/2012 at 19:07

Thanks for all your kind thoughts re my grand daughter. She is home now and is doing well.

I haven't run for over a week, I might try a little run this morning if it stops raining!

Ceal - fantastic interview, really details your life and your achievements.

18/10/2012 at 20:14

evening all

Busbar & Tracey
all the best for your marathon exploits  - hope the weather is kind for you both
I am not sure what is worse - driving 75 miles to and from a marathon or packing up a caravan afterwards !!

JJ
oh yes I did!!

Mick6
I'm not sure I like my one legged squats - doing them certainly raises a sweat and I am under strict instructions that any marks on the walls will result in me having to paint all the staircase walls - and that is a big area!!!!!
All those decisions to make  - the one best suited to your current weather sounds the best!!

Diana
very strong willed - all these streaks going on with you,Tracey and Pammie - good going.

NZC
nice to hear that your g'daughter is recovering. Give it another day before running - the sun may shine

I extended my exercise regime to clearing out wardrobes. I took nine suits to the local hospice charity shop plus numerous shirts and jumpers. When I took another load there all the original stuff had sold out!!!! I am now down to a mere 6 suits plus 2 evening suits - however Christmas is coming!!!
All this presages a revamp of the master bedroom and en-suite - it is going to be expensive 

18/10/2012 at 23:14

Torque Steer - too late - I already went with Mae - good to be out there even for just half an hour, but still not 100% - will keep taking the antibiotics.

So that is how to get someone to go through their wardrobe and chuck stuff out! I wish!

Busbar/Tracy - are you both running the same marathon?

19/10/2012 at 09:55

JJ
I have smilies on my regular pc, but not on my iPad.

TS
Cor, sir, that it a lot of suits. I guess you could now bump into yourself walking around Harrogate. I guess you are being extra careful not to mark the walls!

NZC
I am so pleased for you and your family to hear that your g-daughter is home again and on the mend.  Take care of yourself. Thank you for reading my interview. I think the web site is an interesting one.  

Impey
You are doing well with your running, I am proud of you.

I had a long but lovely day yesterday, I left home at 6.30 am and got home at 7.30 pm. Betsy and I had fun and laughter, singing, dancing and reading stories and best of all we made a lot of mess. The hardest part was carrying her up steep stairs and back down again. She can make her own way up and down (with careful supervision of course) but it can take a long time as she gets distracted on route! There is no downstairs loo so the trip was made several times. She is a solid dead weight. As a result my back is a little stiff this morning.

I am too tired to run today!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 19/10/2012 at 09:56
19/10/2012 at 12:14

NZC, I'm sure Tracey will be running Beachy Head marathon, and pretty certain busbar isn't! So glad that your granddaughter is home and improving.

I'm not surprised you're tired, ceal. I'm about to go and collect my grandson, but only for a couple of hours.

You got rid of a lot more suits than my OH posesses TS! Good luck with your further refurbishments. Work continues on our replacement conservatory; it will be lovely to have the use of that again.

Still sniffling and sneezing, so did the minimum 5k yesterday, and acted as a sweeper on the club training run on Sunday. I'm glad I'll be in the shelter of the admin tent for our race on Sunday. Muddy 9 miles off-road across the scenic New Forest anyone?

19/10/2012 at 13:30

Nzc-Tracey is running beachy head marathon as diana says,that is a real tough i am led  to believe.The marathon i am doing is abingdon which is flat but not exppecting a good time.

19/10/2012 at 15:05
busbar - yes I'm doing Beachy. It's tough but beautiful views Abingdon is flat, thou a different route I think to the one I did in 2005 as my first. The finish on the track with cheers from the grandstand is really special All the very best for Sunday If you see Mick and Phil say hi from me please.
19/10/2012 at 16:17

busbar and Tracey - good luck on Sunday! I'd love to be able to do either of those marathons but would probably perish in the attempt...

19/10/2012 at 16:48
Graham - my marathon not until 27 October
19/10/2012 at 16:50

Ah, sorry Tracey. Good luck on the 27th . We went to Beachy Head for the first time in August and were very impressed with the scenery. I can see why running there's strenuous though!

K2
19/10/2012 at 17:54

busbar
Good luck on Sunday. I hadn't realised/remembered it was Abingdon. As Tracey said - great atmosphere at the finish.

19/10/2012 at 19:13

TS,
Evening suits as in dinner jacket type, very posh, do you have a matching bowtie? Studs and cufflinks as well I assume.
It was such a gorgeous day yesterday that I spent the afternoon just cruising on my bonnie. I went right into the city had a pleasant surprise lunch with MrsMick6 and we also bumped into an old friend so lots of catching up. I then rode up into a Provincial Park, lots of winding roads in densely wooded hills, all very pretty with spectacular views. I think every motorbike owner in the area had the same idea, so many bikes about. 

Diana,
I would love to run in the New Forest mud and all.

ceal,
I am not surprised that you tired. I did enjoy looking after my 8 year nephew while I was in the UK but I think a baby would be too much for me. I had my children spread out over a long period, I still have one at home. Just the thought of being responsible for a little one again brings me out in a rash. 

5k easy along the river bank today. I followed it up with a very social session in the gym, it seemed to be lots of wrinklies with time to chat.

Mick

19/10/2012 at 22:37

mick
I've had some minor injuries but mostly there's been too much happening and something has to give so running has to take a bit of a hit. I've been running from time to time but nothing really worth reporting. At 70+ I find I have to pace my life differently.

ceal
Odd re the smilies.

TS
I still have at least 6 suits and I don't work any more. Wearing one is a rarity.

Busbar
You will love Abingdon and run a very respectable time. Have a good one.

Tracey
The only good thing about Beachy is the amount of food on offer.Watch out for the deckchairs.

NZC
Good news about grandaughter.
JJ

19/10/2012 at 22:39

Tomorrow is new grandaughter day. Daughter needs a bit of help while she's recovering from C section.
JJ

20/10/2012 at 11:46

Pleasant trail run with head-torches last night. Just 4.62 miles at an average 10:21 pace, so some social chat involved too. OH and I then had fish & chips, for probably the first time in about 2 years. Weather is now looking better for tomorrow, though I'm sure it will be very wet underfoot.

Enjoy your time with the new grandaughter, JJ. We have both the grandsons overnight tonight, but as I have to be up early tomorrow anyway.........

20/10/2012 at 17:37
Mick6
It certainly sounds as if your autumn is being very pleasant in your neck of the woods. It is very damp and wet here in the SE. You are certainly masking the most of your clement weather.

Diana
I hope you enjoyed your f & chips. I had them at the end of last year, the first time for about 15 years and I hated the batter!

JJ
I hope you had a very happy day. I think the absence of the smilies is due to Chrome being my iPad search engine.

Race well tomorrow Busbar and Tracey.

I ran just over 7 miles today, which included 8 x 400 with 200 jog recoveries. They were not flat out and were done on a very bumpy pavement where the Tarmac was lifted by tree roots. It was uphill one way and a down return. Times varied from 1.38 --- 1.45 mins. HR was raised which was the idea!
20/10/2012 at 19:03

5k Park Run...........

Banana and a coffee before setting out followed by a slow mile and half warmup.
Fine, sunny and coolish at 48f, little wind hardly noticeable.

Garmin times....
9m.27s.
8m.33s.
8m.57s.
1m.35s. = 0.19m = 8m.27s pace. total time 28.34  

Official time was 28m.36s.  making it 20 seconds better than last week.
Glad to say no trouble with knee today   Only niggle was the congestion with even more runners this time  436 and my position was 308. Not that position is important as it's competition with the clock that counts !

Back on here tomorrow after Tracey and Busbar (and anyone else?) to see how their races went.

20/10/2012 at 20:25

Great stuff Impey - nice to slice off 20 seconds!

Have a great run Busbar.

Good luck for your tough marathon Tracey - enjoy the views

Thanks for the good wishes for my grand daughter, she is coping very well. She will go back to school after the long weekend and my littlest grand daughter will start kindy! Big changes.

I'm still not well, might try another little run this morning. Didn't run yesterday. Not sure if I'll be on the startline on Sunday. Shame as I really wanted to get my roadster's number. If you've done 5 Auckland marathons you get a permanent number so you don't have to scramble to enter early. If I come right by the end of the week I will probably still start and take it easy. If I don't come right, there's always next year

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.