Over 60s training.

127,201 to 127,220 of 133,879 messages
07/11/2012 at 12:18
Ceal - can you sent your bugs round to eat the leaves on my lawn

I've been very good with my stretching
07/11/2012 at 12:51

Good afternoon all

Aold club mate used to shout out in a rather posh voice, that they were irresponsible dog owners if we were attacked.Which always used to amuse me.

Ceal-Very good running from you as always

Columba-Have a good and safe holiday.

T/S-Nice to see you getting back in the groove,

Pammie-Just keep the training going.

Ran a league race last night of a cycle track in total darkness of about 5k or garmin 3.15miles.Firtst time i have ever ran this venue so was not to sure how it would go.

The start was at the bottom of a hill and you did one small loop and then three bigger loops,so in total you had to run this hill 4 times which i guess was about 250metres long.There was a smaller one but not much to worry about,The actual seeing in the dark was not really an issue.My actual breathing was a issue has i really struggled against the course and other runners i have beaten quite easily just went past me and i had no response.Not sure what the problem is but seemed to have slowed dramatically in the last few months.So not to drag on i ran 23-23 average pace 7.25 miles--7.08---7.32---7.19--1.23  

07/11/2012 at 15:29

Busbar
Could be the marathon is still in your legs  and the training geared towards it will not encourage short, fast stuff without some adaption.

I am nt really getting back in the groove - the runs are just designed to see how the achilles tendinopathy is regressing - and the answer is slowly but surely.
Evenwhen completely cleared up I do not think I will be embarking upon more running - too many injuries, not all runinng related, over the last few years have left me broken!!
Having said that my back which has been a real source fo pain for the past two years seems to be nearly fixed - after dismantling 4 double, built in wardrobes I carried them all down two flights of stairs to store in the garage. Having realised that the carcases are bettr than one can buy new nowadays the challenge is to re-use them somehow with some new doors!!

07/11/2012 at 15:34

On the subject of dogs - when some time ago, last summer in fact, when the air was warm and the ground was dry I used to do some intervals on the grassy field opposite my house.
I came to an arrangement with one lady dog walker that her chocolate labrador, who used to jump up at me, could run along with me until it got tired - it never managed more than 1.5 miles before sloping off  back to her. After a while he never bothered jumping up again!!!

07/11/2012 at 17:05

T/S-Nice dog story there,hope your right about marathon and the training having that affect. 

07/11/2012 at 17:47
Busbar
I back up whole heartedly what TS has said. In another couple of weeks I am sure it will be a different story. When I ran London and also experienced difficulties in the lady 6 miles , I took me a good month to recover. I used to run 4--6 miles in training and have nothing left at the end of the run. I remember it well
07/11/2012 at 18:58

Ceal/T/s-Thanks for your reassurance i guess it takes longer to recover being older now.The slight deliema i have is that i have a hm on the 17th of november,should i bother or not.?Would like to run it as i was 1st v60 in the previous two years.Maybe i should give it a go and just run as how i feel without killing myself along the way.

07/11/2012 at 19:07
Can't really help you on that one Busbar.

Another 10 days might make all the difference. I don't actually think age is totally responsible for recovery taking a long time, I have heard of other younger runners taking time to get back to normal. You ran 20 miles pretty fast then you bonked. It can happen to anybody whatever their age.

I would suggest you take your training easy, don't run too far or too fast. Fuel yourself well both before and after your run and hope for the best.
07/11/2012 at 19:08
TS
Don't give in just yet. If your lower back is a lot better then all your niggles could disappear. Well most of them.
07/11/2012 at 20:45

'lo all
Ran/walked over 5 miles today. Very tiring.The doodle agrees.

busbar
Abingdon did more than just make your leg muscles tired. You really depleted your reserves of almost everything so recovery could take much more than just your legs feeling better.

TS
I'm always open to learning new tricks from a female.

No need to give up running. You need to do something to keep fit so 2 or 3 easy  runs a week wouldn't go amiss.
JJ

07/11/2012 at 20:49
Busbar - did you do Hog Hill race yesterday? My clubs in that league now as well.

Don't look like I'll be doing parkrun on Saturday. The cold that's been like a wet dog nose is now making my eyes water Probably doing my hamstring and foot a favour.
07/11/2012 at 21:43

Tracey-Yes that was the race venue,good luck on cold recovery and hamstring. 

08/11/2012 at 11:31

good morning

Busbar
it's a combination of micro muscle damage and complete depletion of the body's energy reserves. They both take time to build back up and even when you think they are fully repaired they probably aren't!!
I can just about remember running a 10 mile road race about a month after the London Marathon, feeling great and running really fast for 8 miles and then it all went as the energy levels just weren't there. I still ran my fastest 10 mile time ever, in fact at 4 miles I was shoulder to shoulder with international runners, but it could have been soooooooooo much quicker.

JJ
I don't do things by halves - I realised that many years ago even before profiling became the rage and confirmed it!!

Tracey
I could do with some bugs for leave eating as well!! NOrmally in autumn we get some strong winds which have the effect of shifting loads of my leaves into someone else's garden but this year it has been quite still and they have just dropped and lain where they have fallen

Ceal
I love that caveat ................"well most of them" 

08/11/2012 at 12:16

Good Morning,

JJ
Well done doodle, oh and you too. Promising progress.

TS
Well I tried, didn't I!

08/11/2012 at 12:26

Yet another dry day, I could get used to it. Very easily!

I ran on the pavements today for a change.

I ran 5 miles in 42.15 mins, av pace 8.29 mm, av HR 128, MHR 154.

The middle of the run was hilly, I felt surprising good running up quite steep hills. However, overall there was more downhill in the run than up. The reason being after I had ran 5 miles at quite a good pace I didn't want to get tempted to 'try' and keep the same pace for over a mile up hill. Nor did I want to lose my av pace. 

It went like this---

5.34 mins, (8.58mm, HR 115/123
5.20 mins, (8.36mm), HR 118/126
5.06 mins, (8.13mm, HR 120/126
5.08 mins, (8.17mm), HR 127/130
5.11 mins, (8.21mm), HR 133/146
5.21 mins, (8.37mm), HR 137/146
5.15 mins, ( 8.27mm), HR 137/140
5.13 mins, (8.24mm), HR 141/153------------------------------At this point I stopped, the steepest part of the hill was to come and my legs were tired. 2 mins rest then ran 1.36 miles home.

Total mileage for the session 6.34 miles.

08/11/2012 at 13:15

Ceal-Good run there and the sun was out for a little bit here in north london.

T/S-A pb not a bad return if only you could have hung on for 2 more miles.But as you said when you come undone its end of story.Thanks for your insight i am sure you are totally right it will take a bit longer to recover completely.

08/11/2012 at 14:57

Ceal
that's called "working the numbers" . I could have had some lovely averages if Hipps HIll did not bar the way home on so many runs!!
One can quite clearly see where the hills had an effect upon your av/maxHR as you maintained the very consistent pace so I'll let you off the big hill

Busbar
I was also fully fit for the marathon and ran it hard right to the end - I even have a photo at the finish of me with both feet off the ground!!
I felt quite good afterwards right up to and during the race ...........until the last bit. I suspect the change from 6:20 to 5:20m/m just finished me off!!

Lovely autumn dawn to day and as I am in London tomorrow I had another go at my 5k course.
1m 7:55 hr 163/180 rubbish readings for the downhill bit
2m 7:55 hr 129/176 still a bit rubbish
3m 7:37 hr 138/155 about right
.1m 0:42 hr 146/155 exactly right

for a total of 24:08 (av 7:46m/m). With no  fatigue in my legs at the start, my Adizeros tapping out a tempo patter on the dry ground and only an irritant in the achilles it felt reasonably comfortable all round so I can have a contented snooze on the train tomorrow - after my bacon butty 

Edited: 08/11/2012 at 14:58
08/11/2012 at 15:16

TS
Good 'running' this morning from you, enjoy the bacon butty. I sure did work the numbers, my legs dictated the stop!! I have run 20+ miles in 3 days, which is  far more than I have run in that time frame for a long time. I am not able to run at the weekend. I would like to tomorrow, but fear that my legs might say no!! But on the other hand they may not.

It is the Celebration of the 80th Anniversary of the City of Portsmouth AC on Sat, and  it is being held in a Hotel on the sea-front at Southsea, where I am staying that night. The sea front looks very attractive to run on, in fact I have done so many times. But with a 2 hour car journey on sat and then a late night followed by driving to Brighton on Sunday for a stop to see Betsy and have lunch and then drive home again may not take in a run as well. I am not as young as I used to be. But the desire to do so is there. I have no doubt the running gear will be taken in the car boot, but may not make it out of there.  

08/11/2012 at 17:43

Ts, ceal, good running from you both.

Busbar, you certainly don't seem to have lost much speed over a short distance judging by the 1:22 400m you did recently in interval training. I'd have a go at that HM if I were you - you may be pleasantly surprised. And, if not, at least you had a go and took part.

I did another track session today, back to doing 10 x 400m with 90 second intervals. It was very windy so a real struggle keeping up a decent pace down the back straight and on the last bend. A couple of laps were 1:31, the rest 1:30 or 1:29. I was very pleased when they were finished and I could stop...

08/11/2012 at 17:48

Ceal - sounds like you have a nice weekend planned.

Busbar - just run how you feel, I look at it this way, you never know what is going to happen to you from one day to the next, so if you aren't injured/sick, play it by ear, you might still get a good run.

Just don't start out too quickly as your resources will probably be still very low, and even a half marathon can feel like a very long way if you do that.

No run from me yesterday - walked with gdaughter to play group and back, must run something this morning.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.