1 - 12:37.5 - 1.00 - 12:38
2 - 12:33.8 - 1.00 - 12:34
3 - 12:39.1 - 1.00 - 12:39
4 - 12:38.7 - 1.00 - 12:39
5 - 12:28.2 - 1.00 - 12:28
6 - 12:10.1 - 1.00 - 12:10
7 - 0:26.6 - 0.05 - 9:00
10°C

Only the second run this week - I've been told off for running with this cough hanging about. I've told the cough off for hanging about

Not much time for reading back as the living room is being re-vamped. Where do we put all the furniture whilst re-decorating and especially if we decide to lay new flooring? Do we remove the old gas fire that we both hate and don't use, is it a job we can do ourselves (me in particular), and how will it affect the back boiler that will need replacing sometime in the not too distant future? Apparently grants are available to help old fogies with the cost of boiler replacement but not while the current one still works.

al

10/11/2012 at 20:00

Aws,

Well done on doing yer run despite the parasitic cough hanging about.  Sometimes a good way of chasing away the coughs

Just a nordinary run for me,  well nordinary to me, nowt special about it !
After a week of eating, drinking too much and no running it's just as well.

Got as far as 6.03 miles when the Garmin said he was tired, battery running low. Got the run in anyway

10/11/2012 at 20:54

Spent today with 5 week old grandaughter. She's a stunner. Slept on my lap all through the rugby on TV which was a real bonus.

Mick
I rang the surgery and asked for an appointment with any of the doctors and got allocated to one of them. They each work from the same computer record.
Would you like me to ask her if she wants to emigrate?

aws
Excellent run.
I'm sure you can create a non-working boiler!

Impey
Every run helps.
I think my battery must be running low as well.
JJ

11/11/2012 at 11:56

good morning 

JJ
tough love from your doctor  - that's the way 
there are a couple of young female doctors at the practice I go to and they too have absolutely no respect for my age!!
Nice to see the new addition knows when to keep quiet when it matters - how long that will last  remains to be seen

Impey
Blackpool can look a bit tired in the daytime thoughthe new prom paving looks good. Did you see the seas or was it too far out?
Just as well your legs were not dependent upon Garmin battery power

aws
I am sure you could manage a bit of industrial sabatoge on the boiler to stop it working.
However old boilers are far more reliable than new ones and teh claimed savings on gas consumption donot offset the capital cost of replacement without considerable grant assistance.
taking out a gas fire is quite easy - you just need to have a stop end piece to hand to seal off the supply pipe under the floor when you do it -oh and turn gas off at the mains entry point before you do it!!!
Or you could run a bit further and then you won't need any heating 

Mick6
good that the heel is not hurting - even better relaxing with friends over coffee. You deserve it before winter comes.

Busy day in London on Friday and travelled back on a very full train - every seat was booked. So a bit stiff legged on a 5K run yesterday.
Today there was glorious early morning low angle sun blinding in its intensity and the light frost gave the air a crisp, dry appeal that made one feel good to be out in it.

My 5 mile "easy" route and ran in an astonishing time, for me, of 38:59 (7:48m/m). The HRM on Garmin must have ben off as it gave me an avHR of 122 and a max of 139 which it wasn't!!!!

1m 8:21 hr 109/157
2m 7:28 hr 117/134
3m 7:44 hr 121/133
4m 7:29 hr 122/139
5m 7:55 hr 114/127 Hipps Hill
the HR ranges are obviously wrong but the times weren't - blimey!!

The obvious answer to running faster is to take three months off, do loads of leg strengthening exercises and general body conditioning and come back and run fast on minimal training 

11/11/2012 at 13:50

TS, great running! The mind definitely plays a part in form and I wonder how much the lovely conditions affected the way you ran so well. Whatever, it was, it's very encouraging for you, that's for sure.

I managed my planned 13 miler yesterday, going through the HM distance in 1:52. That felt a steady pace rather than pushing at all, so quite pleasing. I'd like to have a go at one or two Hms next year, not having done one for ages.

11/11/2012 at 17:37

Ran 4.2 of the muddiest miles I've done in a very long time. Slow but very hard work.
Had to hose down the tracksters below the knee. Threw away the disgusting  socks. Hosed my trail shoes inside and outside. Disgusting really  .

TS
The run augurs well. Any reaction?

Graham
There are plenty of 1/2ms to chose from. If you want a fast time avoid the big ones with thousands of starters. TS knows the good ones in your part of the world.
JJ

11/11/2012 at 21:02

Graham
very good mileage there - and if one asumes that you  are at 1m/m above race pace then the steady feeling is about right!!
Unfortunately the York Brass Monkey HM is already full up  for Jan 2013 - that is a definite PB course but it always sells out in a day.

Thanks for the comments on my run - it was a good day for running but that is just a small part of it. In truth I am not sure where the speed is coming from other than my intensive exercise and strengthening work as I have little true aerobic fitness - so I keep the runs short!!
The adizeros help as they imperil  one towards front foot running even on downhills as it hurts too much if one lands on the heel so a rapid turnover is always encouraged!!

JJ
No reaction - so far!!
You sounded like a refugee from a Somme battlefield 

11/11/2012 at 21:44

TS
Maybe I'm a dirty old man? I will consult MrsJJ.

12/11/2012 at 06:13

JJ - good to get quality time with your new gdaughter.

Torque Steer - those fast shoes really help don't they

I ran the Cornwall Parkrun again on Saturday morning - 24.13 - 80.11% age-grading, and I'm on top of the leader board for the age-grading.

It isn't a fast course, and not many runners, but hey, I'm happy!

I ran 15km easy yesterday, and 3 miles tonight with Mae.

12/11/2012 at 11:13

NZC-Well done on age-grading and keeping the mileage up.

TS-Crikey where did that run come from,that was speedy.

JJ-Good mudbath of a run.

Graham-Nice mileage your doing now,,and i agree a fast 10m or HM will be good to have a go at.

NRD for me yesterday which was a shame because it was lovely weather,just couldn't get motivated. 

12/11/2012 at 11:25

good morning

JJ 
what was the result??

NZC
good to see Parkrun has spread to NZ - and that is a really good result for you too!!! You should be very pleased with that.
Our local Parkrun is a very flat 3 lap course - and would be a PB one if it were not for the fact that half is on grass - or mud as it has been for much of this year 
I wouldn't want the Adizeros to get dirty so I shall have to stay away for a while!!

Easyish 5K this am in 25:30 and avHR 122 max 145 if I can believe my HRM - which I don't!!

1m 8:49 hr 127/130 downhill 
2m 8:17 hr 118/145 uphill
3m 8:05 hr 120/131 up and down
.1m 0:26 hr 124/128 

Garmin just doesn't seem to be recording effort correctly - or I am superbly fit and conditioned - which I ain't!!

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 11:27
12/11/2012 at 11:32

Busbar
post marathon  cba - not uncommon.
I wish I knew - I am still trying to fathom my level of running out as it does not fit with training patterns. I am only running 15 miles a week  at best so it is not aerobic fitness
Yesterday was glorious but alas we now have the drizzle and murk that much of the rest of the country got earlier 

12/11/2012 at 11:33
JJ - I thought you like getting dirty

NZC - great that you have a parkrun

Have now done 7 days of Level 1 of 30 Day Shed Test is running tomorrow after my last bad run on 2 miles on 3rd Nov.
12/11/2012 at 12:38

Tracey
I hope your run goes well for you tomorrow. How does your hamstring feel to you?

Impey
I think that the word you used of invigorating can be used to describe the windy consions that  you experienced together with illuminations, fireworks and Starlight Express, I think your car battery sounded as if it needed a bit of invigoration too.

aws
I hope your cough is soon banished to somewhere else in the Universe.

JJ
The Rugby obviously had a soporific effect on your new g-daughter. The mud you encountered on your run sounded horrible, you threw away your mud soaked socks I think I would have thrown away socks, shoes and my legs too.

Graham
your 13 miles run was a quality run.

NZC
More accolade swinging itself over in your direction for your 5k race result. Stewart will soon be on his way out of NZ onward to Melbourne. He said the weather the last couple of days has been rainy and misty. Have you experienced the same?
I have to say he does love your country for many reasons.

TS
I have left you until last to post to because I  am  trying to think of what to say. On the  whole I am left speechless. Amazing pace for HR and your fitness level. Don't forget that you have lost half a stone that must account for something! Maybe your old Garmin didn't pick up all the signals and gave you a slower running pace than you were actually running. It will be interesting as you run more miles a week to see if the pace is maintained with extra tiredness in your legs. busbar doesn't run many times a week and he keeps up a very good pace on his runs. Makes one think.

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 12:42
12/11/2012 at 12:53
Ceal - my hamstring is almost better as the test is when I run. Think it will take a while to get full strength back in that leg. That's why I've been doing the easier level of the 30 Day Shred. Am going to just have to take it easy for another couple of weeks.
12/11/2012 at 12:55

I had real problems editing the last post, something was going on with the RW web and it made my key board rendered totally useless. But all seems well now.

I got out running this morning before the rain started, it drizzled a little for the main part of my run but then came down harder for the last mile or so.  

I decided to run 400's with a difference, so it was 300 fast with 100 jog slow. It was hard. I ran round and round my not flat very soggy football pitch. It was not pleasant. I tried to avoid the very muddy sections where getting not skidding was impossible. But of course I did hit some. The whole session was really about endurance with speed thrown in for good measure.

I warmed up for 2.16 miles, 20.19 mins, av pace 9.19 mm, av HR 115/131

Then it was 2.16 miles (4k) in 20.15 mins, av pace 8.08 mm, av HR 146, MHR 155

I had told myself I could stop at 3k if I wanted but felt okish at that moment so carried on for another 1k. I just had to stop then, I couldn't have done any more. The soft ground made the faster running quite tiring.

I have no idea if I ran the 300's at a faster pace than I would have  run straight 400's. But a 100 slow recovery is not very long. My HR was still high when I started the next interval.

Splits for what they are worth were:-

4.50 mins, (7.47 mm), HR 139/150
5.08 mins, (8.16 mm) HR 147/153
5.09 mins, (8.18 mm) HR 148/155
5.07 mins, (8.13 mm) HR 149/153

Looks like pretty steady running, and the HR says it all. I was working hard. 

After a short breather I ran 2.49 miles (good proportion of this was uphill) in 31.29 mins, av pace 10.07 mm, av HR 127/136

total mileage for the session 7.83 miles. So a good endurance session was achieved.

12/11/2012 at 13:12

I had a pleasant but very tiring weekend away. For various traffic reasons it took me 2.5 hours to drive to Southsea. I chilled out for the afternoon before getting ready to go to the planned function when I found that I had everything to take make up off with but no make up to put on. I had somehow or other left my make up bag behind at home. so little black dress and posh neck-let were donned with no lippie.

I didn't know many people at the Anniversary Celebration, but it was a very interesting event. There were many well known athletes attending, including 4 Olympians from the past. City of Portsmouth AC was a very successful Club back in the 60's. The most famous athlete there was Bruce Tullock, I got to chat to him for a few mins, he is very small, almost frail looking, but his face is very young and he has still plenty of hair. His wife, Sue, is very very attractive indeed.

We saw quite a few extracts pf old films from Alan Pascoe and Seb Coe days.

There was a question and answer time for the well know athletes. Unfortunately, I was sitting fairly near to the bar and  there were about 25 people drinking and talking so I was not able to hear every answer very clearly and I was quite annoyed by that. Some people can be so rude. I don't understand it. Why did they attend.

There was also acknowledgement made to the International Athletes who were members of the Club. I think there were about 16 of them or was it 18, not sure, but I was acknowledged too. We received a heavy glass memento of the 80th Anniversary of the Club. I felt a bit of a fraud being included with all the, what I call, proper athletes, but it was nice to be included.  

I found conversation quite difficult there was 200 people packed into a low ceiling room with a majority of the people there being men and they had a lot to say to each other, many having not seen each other for a good few years. What I am trying to say is that it was loud. When the band started, I soon got the gist of the type of music being played and it was LOUD. I hastily retired to my room!

At breakfast the next morning, I was able to have more relaxed meaningful conversation with various people.

I then drove 1.5 hours to Brighton and had a very pleasant relaxing time with Betsy and co. My lunch was absolutely delicious, it was a Morocco Dish (lamb prunes and figs with honey, couscous, chick peas and carrots cooked in rosewater and coriander)and was so tasty. Then another hours drive to get home.

I collapsed in a chair as soon as I got home.

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 13:15
12/11/2012 at 13:50

***Just noticed, not that it is important to any one other than myself. The section of my run which I did after the 300's was 3.11 miles not 2.49 miles as put above.  The av pace etc etc was  correct.

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 13:51
12/11/2012 at 17:12

Ceal
keep out of the mud - or you will end up like JJ!! I hope he doesn't throw his legs away though as you suggested.................

That is a tough fartlek session - picking up the pace after such a short rest will certainly get your HR up - and it did.

Sounded like an intersting weekend away apart from the noise and nice to get a deserved reward for all your efforts - the club name would go against yours in the record books.
did you get your seaside run in - or did you not dare venture out without lippie??

I may not run any more miles/week!!! 

12/11/2012 at 17:31
TS
No I didn't get out for a run on the sea front. It was very tempting as it was a beautiful day and there were many runners doing their stuff along the sea front which I could see from my hotel bedroom window. The reason I didn't was my hair, I couldn't face the wash and restyle which would have taken extra time which I didn't have.

I think 400's with 200 m recovery jog is easier than what I did today!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.