Over 60s training.

127,261 to 127,280 of 134,379 messages
12/11/2012 at 18:07

Ceal - you are one tough cookie - but you know that don't you! I just think about doing those sorts of sessions!

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, even if it was tiring. I always find it difficult hearing with lots of noise around me. Very frustrating isn't it!

Torque Steer - good to see you enjoying your running again. Who cares why it is happening, just be happy that you are moving nicely again - good stuff!

JJ - was there a reason why you went for a mud run? Are you entering one of those tough runs?

12/11/2012 at 19:32

TS,
Hard to believe the fast paces you did on the 5m run when you said hardly any training had been done prior to that. Leg strengthening sounds right enough coupled with the adizeros as you really went to town with a very hasty pace.  Don't think I'd get away with 3 months no training, no way Jose!  Bad enough when I have had 2 weeks enforcement of not running! 
You proved how fast you can still do it despite the setbacks you have endured

Ceal,
That was a very interesting weekend at Southsea, pity about the noisy music (was it rappy stuff I wonder!) and shame those drinkers around the bar made themselves heard too much to spoil what you wanted to hear. Must have been nice to get chance to speak to Bruce Tulloh

TS (and Ceal),

Forgot to mention the churned up sea was fairly well in when we did long walks on the proms.  Yes, there was plenty of strong wind, the only time it was calm was on the sunny Monday.  

Gatekeeper absent at the park today, probably gone home as the rain set in.  So I was able to park free inside  this  time.  Ran 6 plus miles including 6 x 400s (average pace 8m.13s).   

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 19:33
12/11/2012 at 22:09

TS
Hope the HR stats are right. It would be very helpful.
I think MrsJJ preferred the word "disgusting".
Much the same thing really.

Tracey
Running and getting dirty at my age is very tiring

Busbar
Bet you haven't recovered properly yet.

NZC
Nice age grading and leading the rankings is a real bonus.
I ran off road just to help keep impact low but I under-estimated the effect of the rain.

Ceal
I couldn't throw the legs away. It was the first time this year they've been brown.

Pity your evening had the edge taken off it. I can understand how annoying it was.
You don't need makeup anyway.

aws
13/11/2012 at 08:05

Good morning

5.18M; 1:05:59.1; 12:45/M;

Orf art, c y'all later.

al

13/11/2012 at 13:40

Impey-Good 400s and pace and free parking its all good

Ceal-Quite a workout there on grass they have to be double hard

JJ-Going to run tonight to test legs out,hope to feel a bit fresher.

Just got the book advanced marathoning by pete pfitzinger&scott douglas.
Managed to read it all and its quite detailed,there is another thread started as i noticed quite a few are going to follow one of the plans for the spring marathons.
Might chose to do the 18 week up to 55miles per week plan which would be a massive leap in mileage for me.The slight problem is how to fit the runs in around club nights.

13/11/2012 at 13:51

busbar, perhaps following a plan is what you need to keep you motivated? If you do it, I'd be interested to hear how such higher mileages help your times over shorter distances too.

Club run last night, followed by AGM. Lot of discussion about increasing subs to reflect the higher contributions being asked for from UK Athletics/England Athletics for affiliation (doubling from £5 to £10 for each competitive runner in a club). Don't know if others in clubs have had similar issues? We agreed eventually to increase our subs by £5.

13/11/2012 at 15:18

Graham-My previous club was £70 and my club now is £105 per year,this is simply because both clubs have to pay rent to the tennis and now hockey club for our use.
There is a lot of talk about england athletics and the fee,i think most people pay this as well as club fees.Theres lots of questions etc as to what does grass roots athletics gain,

Will definitely keep you updated if i take on the plan.think nzc is the expert on high mileage    

13/11/2012 at 16:07
Graham - this year my club membership was ??10 + ??5 for EA. We run from a social club which is ??35 a year there are shower available but would be worried about men walking in on me as they have used the changing rooms that us ladies runner have use of. Plus they are not that nice.
13/11/2012 at 18:10

Quite an enjoyable trail run this afternoon. 4.7 miles and still felt reasonably strong towards the end. Best comeback run so far.

There are big debates in my club about proposed increase in subs. My view is that clubs who are predominantly for road runners get nothing from EA and should lobby for a reduction in the levy or for some practical help of some sort.

Tracey
At my club's previous clubhouse the ladies used to use their shower a lot. It was for ladies only but they had to walk through the men's changing room to get there.
JJ

14/11/2012 at 05:53
I went club and did the last First Steps club run. So 20:02 (20 mins non stop run) 1.96 miles. I could feel my hamstring still, legs ached last night and this morning. So that's it until the First Steps parkrun on Saturday. Can't overdo it now, not much chance of that at the moment

I've entered Andre and me in our local Santa Run on the 2nd December
14/11/2012 at 12:53

Good Morning,

Tracey
I presume you have been using your foam roller on your hamstring, if not have a go.

JJ
It is encouraging that your run yesterday felt strong.

NZC
Thanks, but I am in awe of your weekly mileage.

Impey
A good day if it was free running and 400's thrown into the mix for good measure.

Diana
How was your Club knees up?

busbar
That is a big increase in mileage, I know you are capable of it physically, I ran around that sort of mileage when I did London. It is tiring, but I am sure that you would benefit if you feel able and have the time.  

It is such a lovely day today that I decided to go for a longer run, well long for me.

I ran 9.35 miles in 85.56 mins, av pace, 9.12 mm, av HR 123, MHR 139

I ran on my stony trail which joined up with another one, just as stony. It was a there and back run. 6.5k ownhill, 6.5k uphill with a section in the middle of steep short hills on pavement.

14/11/2012 at 13:27

Good Morning,
A bright but cool sunny morning here, it should be a beautiful day for a run along and not on the river.

TS,
Great pacing from you, obviously you benefited from the rest as much as the therapy. Do you do any kind of warm up or is it out and at 'em?

ceal,
You seemed to have transitioned to longer distances with no ill effects and you also seem to be really enjoying your runs.

Busbar,
 It will be interesting to see how you adapt and react to the higher mileage. I know from my own experiences that as long as you maintain some quality workouts you will see some significant improvements. I have found that I had to be careful in how fast I increased the mileage but did not have a problem maintaining 50 miles a week.
Good luck with it and please keep us up todate on your progress.

Graham,
I would happily pay ten pounds to join a club if I had one to join. No sign of any kind of club structure developing around here just the opposite. We do have lots of races for various charities though.

JJ,
Good to see you use the word enjoyable.

Running is going well and my weekly mileage is creeping up. My heels are still an issue but I seem to recover quickly after each runs so that I wake up with no discomfort.
I have entered another 5k for this Sunday. My objective for this race is to get my effort level up to what I would expect to see in a hard run 5k. The time is really not that important as I have done no speed work for months.

I am going to enter a 10k in the Spring and use that as a focus run for my winter training. The plan is to maintain a 30 mile weekly mileage until Feb and then start a structured programme to build up some speed.
I don't expect my heels to be totally clear but I am confident that they will be strong enough to withstand a 10k schedule.
If that works I will plan a half for autumn. 

14/11/2012 at 16:45

Mick6
that sounds a sound plan! My weekly mileage now is never more than 30 miles a week and mostly is around 25 but sometimes less.

14/11/2012 at 16:49

With regards to club fees, City of P membership is or was for last year £50 with various figures for children and families etc.

I actually never question it, it is a has to be. But I do take note of what JJ said.  

14/11/2012 at 18:49
Ceal - not used my roller for a few days, been stretching lots thou.
14/11/2012 at 19:03
Tracey
I would recommend that you keep rolling and stretching.
14/11/2012 at 20:21

Ceal-Another good mileage run and 9miles is a quiet a long run.

JJ-Good you enjoyed the run which makes it more pleasing.

Mick6-Best of luck with 5k race and the heel is ok.

K2
14/11/2012 at 22:30

JJ
Association of (Road) Running Clubs - ARC?

have been skimming through. Not running as yet - completely mojoless at present but walking most days, plus one flexibar class and two (and another when I can) weights sessions a week, some core work scattered among all that. Working on strength and posture, trying to keep upper back flexible, etc. I'll be putting the swiming back into the schedule soon when the book arrives.
off to Manchester tomorrow to meet with friend, stay at F-in-l's overnight then meet K4 and K6 to come back to Bris.

All good. Love to all.

15/11/2012 at 11:32

jj,

apologies for lack of caps due to laptop keyboard faults

you are getting back into more running again now,  good sign.

k2,

you have a busy life,  maybe you need some spare time to resume running

and bring back your mojo

ceal,

i have less mileage than yours.  most weeks it is around 16 or 17 miles.

membership of our club is 15 pounds per year.

15/11/2012 at 11:48

run of the mill stuff yesterday and a run up a steep hill too

12.20,  10.48,  10.34,  10.41, 12.58 ski-slope 1 in 5 ,  10.53

6.03 miles in all.  

expensive time with elantra car right now.  one of the alloy wheels is badly corroded.for several weeks the tyre pressure kept going down and needed pumping up every few days.  my garage manager has suggested replacing all wheels with steel rather than alloy.   might be best idea in long run.

again sorry about lack of capital letters,  shall have to use desktop next time.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.