Over 60s training.

127,281 to 127,300 of 133,870 messages
15/11/2012 at 11:57

Good Morning all,

Hi Impey
Cars can be so expensive can't they. What a worry for you to have to replace all the wheels. Just keep running to counteract the stress. Cor your ski-slope hill sounds a beast.

K2
How much does it cost for a new mojo? I think you need one asap.

busbar
How far away is your Club, is it too far to run to before a track session then try and cadge a lift home?

I ran on pavements this morning just for a change. I ran for 7 miles in 63.50 mins, av pace 8.59mm, av HR 120, MHR 135. Lots of down followed by lots of up   

aws
15/11/2012 at 13:24

Good morning

5.10M; 1:04:04.6; 12:34/M;
1 - 12:37.7 - 1.00 - 12:38
2 - 12:37.6 - 1.00 - 12:38
3 - 12:49.1 - 1.00 - 12:49
4 - 12:44.8 - 1.00 - 12:45
5 - 12:19.6 - 1.00 - 12:20
6 - 0:55.9 - 0.10 - 9:09
7°C

Foggy, but not like the peasoupers we used to have in my youth. 

I used to have youth, but now I'm just youthless.

al

aws
15/11/2012 at 13:26

Sorry about that. I wrote it about 7:30am and forgot to click "submit", so I found it still lurking just now.

al

15/11/2012 at 13:33

aws
That  run is pretty much the same as your last one, very steady running.

15/11/2012 at 15:06
TS
Here is a list of the international athletes who attending the Portsmouth bash, I thought you might be familiar with some of the names.

Bruce Tulloh (Rome Olympics '60); Frank Salvat (Rome Olympics '60); Penny Forse nee Yule (Montreal Olympics '76); Christine Benning (LA Olympics '84); Gerry North (National Cross Country winner Junior, Senior and Vet); Justin Pugsley (National winner Senior '99); numerous Internationals including Gary Arman (Junior); Gary Negus (Vet); Steve Gallaway (Schools); Carol Iggledon; Orien Young; Peter Kilford; Martin James (Vet); Jeremy Arnold

A few who couldn't make it and sent resumes (some with apologies for absence) including Martin Hyman (Rome Olympics '60); Tim Johnston; David Cooke; John Cooke; Matt de Freitas; Steve Arnold; Lee Immins; Michael East
Edited: 15/11/2012 at 15:08
15/11/2012 at 17:09

Impey, cars eh? You never quite know whether there's a big bill lurking. 

ceal, you're doing some consistent running.

Quite pleased with my time on Tuesday in the 3.6 mile handicap. 23m 54s, which was 17 seconds quicker than last month. Average pace 6:38. This time there was quite a strong headwind on the outward leg. Still 30 seconds away from my course PB (this time last year) but there are signs I'm nearly back to where I was then.

Thanks for the feedback about club fees. It's obvious they vary widely. Ours seem to be towards the cheaper end.

Had some positive feedback about my support team application from a friend of the bloke who's running across Australia next year, so that's encouraging.

Edited: 15/11/2012 at 17:10
15/11/2012 at 19:53

Evening

Graham Good going keep at it

Have run twice this week 3 miles and 4.3 miles planned on today but busy. But have walked about 8 miles cyled 2 - well nearly 4 if you include this morns commute home

Taken bike to shop it needs a service but something up with front gear it'll be ok

Then to ing and froing went to town twice  hence the 8 miles could have been more but bike shop closed at 5.30

15/11/2012 at 20:50

'lo
Didn't run today. Spent a long time at the local Merc dealer trying to swap the C220 that MrsJJ drives for a more modern one.Don't I just love screwing another few £s out of car dealers

Graham
That was an impressive run. 6:38 miling for any distance is good in my book.

Ceal
Two consecutive longish runs is very interesting - mysterious even.What's the hidden agenda?

Impey
Does the £15 include the EA levy? If so, the subs themselves are ridiculously cheap.
JJ

15/11/2012 at 20:58
JJ
No hidden agenda at all. I am not running tomorrow or Sunday. Just putting in the miles when I can.
16/11/2012 at 09:27
Graham
Looks like you are most certainly moving in the right direction, pretty swiftly too.

Pammie
I am not sure I understand, did you walk 8 miles yesterday to and from the cycle shop?

I am not running today, I have things to do and places to go.
16/11/2012 at 10:09

good morning

JJ
nice pastime that - nothing beats saying - "well if that's the best you can do  I shall have to leave it there" and getting up to go.......................

Impey
on the car theme  there is a lot to be said for steel wheels - particulalry if one's car is sometimes driven by another person who parks by feeling kerbs. My alloys look rather scruffed
Big hill that, you should try doing it twice  

Graham
excellent pace there - good going
is that "run geordie run" by any chance?

Tracey
sounds like your hamstring needs a good pummelling to get rid of any scar tissue - listen to nurse Ceal!!

Mick6
good to see you kicking up the miles with little discomfort.
I put it down to body conditioning - legs much stronger - and less weight being carried. My Adizeros save me  200 grammes every stride!!

aws
the fog must have got to your brain!! That was a very steady pace from you  

Ceal
You ran 9+ miles because you can - good feeling to have - and to be able to do it!!
I certainly recognise some of those names from long ago, and some more recent.

I have been laid up with the dreaded winter vomiting virus brought into the household by my daughter passing it onto Mrs TS who kindly shared it with meTwo days of nil by mouth should have pushed a few more pounds off but I feel pretty weak and have a rush project to get sorted out..........................

16/11/2012 at 11:47

Morning

Ceal - no its not quite that far lol

Cycled to bike shop somehow little over 2 miles
walked into town to buy a few bits 0.65 miles
Walke home 2.29 miles

got in letter from council expected  but wanted to check on a few things so walked back to town and back. 5.7 miles

While out had call from shop they needed the key to remove the wheel but i had swapped bags key at home  had planned on going there when i got home again not enough time

I slept well but didn't run yesterday

I ran today to and from bike shop with  slight detour each way 7.01 miles

1)  - 1m - 10:46(10:46/m) - 118cal
2)  - 1m - 10:20(10:20/m) - 117cal
3)  - 1m - 10:11(10:11/m) - 121cal
4)  - 1m - 10:22(10:22/m) - 113cal
5)  - 1m - 10:03(10:03/m) - 120cal
6)  - 1m - 10:15(10:15/m) - 118cal
7)  - 1m - 10:28(10:28/m) - 120cal
8)  - 0.01m - 7(11:33/m) - 1cal

1:12:32 (10:21 pace) paces up and down due to  road crossings

16/11/2012 at 12:02
Pammie
You can still do it!

TS
That does seem rather miserable all round. But as you say the positive must be even more weight lost = faster pace!
16/11/2012 at 12:23

TS, yes, rungeordierun. I see him around from time to time as he runs the occasional local race. Commiserations with that blinking virus. I know how bad it can make you feel as I caught it in Tenerife a couple of years ago. Hope you feel better soon.

Pammie, you have a very busy life! It can't always be easy to fit running in but you do very well.

16/11/2012 at 18:47

Sneaked today's run up to 5 miles. All off road so quite muddy and lots of gates/stiles to negotiate so the pace was a bit slow at between 12 and 13 minute miling. I bet my shoes weighed about 1/2 a kilo each so it's good strength training.

Chairing the gardening association's annual general meeting this evening.

Pammie
You've clearly been zooming round like a dervish. I couldn't keep pace.

TS
Yet another problem! You deserve a change of luck.
JJ

16/11/2012 at 18:50

Good solid runs Ceal and Pammie.

Graham - must feel nice to be able to run that fast!

Torque Steer - sorry to hear you have been sick, just as you were getting back into it.

I haven't done any running this week, as I have been looking after my 3 year old gdaughter as my daughter and 13 year old gdaughter have been at schoold camp.

Very full-on, and 15 year old gdaughter was sitting exams, so there was dropping off and picking up to do in between other stuff including Mae who wanted attention too.

16/11/2012 at 19:00

JJ My club is £12.50 at the mo that inclues the EA levy however its going up to £10 levy next year (more for track athletes)

Bike shop phoned Bike is ready and i'll collect him tomorrow

16/11/2012 at 19:48

Pammie,
Your bike is a him? How can you tell?

TS,
Sorry to hear about the bug, not the sort of bug you can run with by the sound of it.
Weight loss has to be a major factor in your pace improvement.
I have put on 10 pounds since I started doing a lot of gym work and I am sure that is what has totally offset any gains I would have made by being much fitter. the injuries haven't helped much either. 
How did you lose weight?

Off for a run with a friend, down by the river again. Still warm enough to ride the bonnie there but not for much longer as it went down to -8c last night.

I hope Columba is back safe and sound by now.

Mick 

16/11/2012 at 20:00

NZC
I have had times like that 

Pammie
wizzzzzzzzzzzzing past!!
Cheap club

JJ
Don't they have pavements around your house?
rather you than me!!

Mick6
My theory is that the exercises promote a longer post session burn of energy than just running particularly with the weighted haversack, so I actually use up more. I certainly have not been dieting - well not until the last couple of days anyway!!!

17/11/2012 at 08:28
Good morning,

JJ
You are becoming a diry boy! Good strength training run under your belt.

Mick6
I look forward to hearing about your 5k race. It would appear that winter is not too far away for you. But I think you have experienced some pleasant autumn weather. It would appear that the weight gained from your weight work which helps you with your tree felling and the like is sitting on your upper body which of course your running body has to carry around for several miles at a time. If you were a sprinter then I guess the extra strength in your upper body would be of an advantage to you.

News from down under Stewart was in Brisbane yesterday and experienced the biggest electrical storm ever. I guess they are 2 a penny in that area, but he said within a very short period of time there were cars sailing down the road. He found it very exciting and fascinating. I think I would have been scared.

He is now attending a conference in an area called Surfers Paradise. He says Paradise it's not. The conference is being held at the same time as the end of school for the school leavers and they all come to this area for a massive party. He says there are youngsters being sick everywhere, drunk and disorderly carrying crates of beer. Apparently the area has a reputation for lager louts without coinciding with the end of school celebrations. He is wondering why the conference is being held in such a dreadful area. He is threatening to go back to Brisbane and miss the conference altogether. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.