Over 60s training.

127,301 to 127,320 of 133,789 messages
17/11/2012 at 11:43

When I was ready to go out for my run, I really didn't want to go out and run. It was grey and damp and the 'outside' looked very uninviting, my head was in the wrong place for a run! Any excuse I could have found for not going out I would have grabbed. But nothing came along to be grabbed, so out I went.

I warmed up for 18.23 mins, 1.94 miles, av pace 9.32 mm, av HR 111, MHR 127

Then set about a tempo run, 3.11 miles, (5k) ran in 24.05 mins, av pace 7.45 mm, av HR 143, MHR 154 It was run on pavements, dodging people and many other obstacles. I think that it may have been slightly more down than up. I had wanted to do the tempo run on grass, but the children were playing footie on the grass. Which was good to see.

Splits in K's
4.46 mins, (7.46 mm), av HR 129/139
4.43 mins, (7.36 mm), av HR 141/147
4.58 mins, (8.01 mm), av HR 147/150
4.48 mins, (7.44 mm), av HR 148/151
4.47 mins, (7.41 mm), av HR 150/151  

Then the hard bit, and a real test of my endurance, I had to run home which was mainly up, up, up.

It took me 21.14 mins, 2.16 miles, av pace 9.58 mm, av HR 130, ,HR 137, 'twas 'ard.

Total mileage for the session 7.2 miles.

Edited: 17/11/2012 at 11:45
17/11/2012 at 15:06

G'day 

ceal
let us hope England exact some revenge on the Aussies this afternoon for Stewart's unpleasantness down under. He should find a bar awatch it there surrounded by them

That was some tempo run - only a minute off your 5k time recently  so you were cracking on!!!

Mick6
If you want tolose some weight I can happily lick a few items for you and send them off in the post - no charge for passing on  the bug

Lovely day here but I am not up to much so far - g'kids are arriving shortly so I need to get disinfected!!

17/11/2012 at 15:32
Afternoon all.

I went to my local parkrun as it was my club First Stepper first parkrun/race experience. I will make sure I go to the next one as Karen took tea, coffee and cakes

The fast course was wasted on me. My legs were tired from my shredding every day, plus my hamstring is not 100%. Did it in 31:15, my breathing is telling me I'm not that fit.
17/11/2012 at 17:04

Evening

Mick don't laugh yes my bike  is male. you just know these things and he's called Hawkwind

He is home now  ran to bike shop took the straight route 2.3 miles and biked it back. Then out with a friend  just got back

Tracey be careful of that Hammy

17/11/2012 at 22:31

Got back late this afternoon (having flown back the previous day but overnighted in London). Had a wonderful time, despite having had a cold, - it was a niggly sore throat when I left, and then ran through all the usual symptoms as the days went by. 

Did no running - didn't expect to - but lots of walking including up a steep hillside (Mount Tabor). Also floated around in the Dead Sea for 40 minutes or so, a very weird experience. 

17/11/2012 at 23:20

Good to see you back Columba - shame you weren't feeling too well.

Ceal - great tempo run! I think Surfers is like that - bit rough around the edges! Not far from Surfers is Broadbeach. We based ourselves there a few years ago for a family holiday. It was very nice, and good for running.

Tracey - you are fit, or you wouldn't be able to complete the marathons that you do. 5kms are just different, and you really have to push yourself, and you will get faster if you do them regularly and if you can pick up your speed on the 5km, it will make your marathoning easier too - well done.

Torque Steer - the All Blacks got a bit of a run for their money too from the Italians. I was happy for the Australians as they have not been up to their best, and they have a Kiwi coach, so maybe they will keep him on for a bit longer!

I bit the bullet and went and ran my first track race for the season, a 3000m. Bit stupid I know, because I haven't trained for it, but I thought I can only improve on it.

Our regular track is being resurfaced, so the event was held on a track over on the North Shore. The last time that I went to this track, I watched Carl Lewis run! Now that's a long time ago!

It was very windy, with cross winds too, so no chance for a good time anyway, so just thought I would try to not go out too fast and get a bit stronger to finish.

First lap was 96 secs, which was too fast for my fitness these days, and on the second lap, one of the gates that they use to protect the first few lanes when no races are happening flew at me. I thought I was going to get hit, and let out an expletive, but then realized it was on a chain, and the next lap someone was holding on to it.

Not a fast time, but I will wait until the official results come out before I post it as I know it is slow but don't want to make it any slower! 

18/11/2012 at 08:42
A quick good morning,

TS
The rugby wishes didn't work! I do hope your strength soon returns to you.

Columba
I hope you will fill us in with some of your holiday experiences. I can well imagine that floating in the Dead Sea would feel weird. It sounds like you haven't missed any running due to your inappropiately timed cold.

NZC
I forgot to comment on the fact that you have had your time cut out for you with looking after a 3 year old in addition to being a taxi driver too. The conditions for the 3000 do not sound at all ideal. It also sounded rather scary to be thinking that one of the racing gates was blowing in you're direction.

I am out all day today, I am going to my daughter's for the day.
18/11/2012 at 12:07

good morning

Columba
welcome back - Sounds a very memorable trip despite hauling a cold all the way round it

Tracey
a 5K is not really the place to be trying out a hamstring  - take care

NZC
those conditions sound pretty dire for a track race!!!
I didn't think sympathy ever extened across the Big Ditch 

Anyway I got an email last evening from Stuart Lancaster - the England rugby coach telling me that if I can put my weight back on a place in the team for the next game is mine

With that in mind and a beautiful, frosty, clear sunny morning here I went out for a shamble. Unfortunately someone had stolen my new fast legs and left me with some ol' geezers cast offs!!

4 mile done in 33:07 with avHR 131 and a max of 149

1m 8:46 hr 119/143
2m 7:46 hr 131/140
3m 7:56 hr 134/139
4m 8:35 hr 143/149 Hipps Hill

quite enough for now!! 

18/11/2012 at 12:09

did anyone watch The Killing III last night ?/
Apart from lifting the ransom drop run around straight from Dirty Harry it was very good indeed

18/11/2012 at 13:21
TS - it was parkrun and I didn't run it very fast. Got another one in 2 weeks but that's with Andre dressed as Mrs Santa Only running short distance at the moment.

I attached my legs with my roller this morning Am not doing much today, except sitting on my bum watching tv.
18/11/2012 at 13:21
TS
That doesnt sound too bad a time for a guy recovering from sickness.

I thought about watching The Killing last pm, but wasn't sure I could face another sub titled drama. So I didn't! But still have the option to catch up on demand.

The lamb for lunch smells delicious so I will away now.
18/11/2012 at 17:37

Good evening.
In Oxford all day yesterday at grandaughter's 9th birthday bash. Why are 10 x 9 year olds so knackering?
Mrs.JJ went to Oxford on Friday evening and had a blowout in the right rear tyre. She had a close call because it happened when she had been slowed to 10mph by an M25 traffic jam while minutes previously she had been doing 80mph! Someone is clearly looking after her.
Today's run was a fraction over 5 miles on the road. First road run for a very long time. It was extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant and yuk. Splits were:
9:38
9:42
9:51
9:56
10:40  included a bit of warming down.
Total for 5 miles  was 49:47.

TS
I found some pavements as you can see. Didn't like them much.
I still have 15lbs of spare weight (as you can see above). I thought I was supposed to lose body weight at my age.

I watched The Killing last night. Fell asleep twice so I lost the plot.

Ceal
A fine quick bit in that training session .
Stewart could be in worse places like somewhere with haute cuisine, cocktail lounges, night clubs and leggy blondes 

Columba
The Dead Sea is about the only place I may be able to swim.
Glad the trip went well in spite of the cold.
Best to be out of the Middle East at the moment.

Tracey
It was a good tempo run.
JJ

18/11/2012 at 20:58

Ceal
it's not what my legs told me at the finish!!
Lamb smelt nice..................... 

JJ 
you must still have mud on your shoes 
Mrs JJ had a very lucky escape - M25 traffic jams have some redeeming features then!!!

I always find with sub titles that I concentrate on them so much that I never nod off unlike most other programmes!!

18/11/2012 at 22:03

Mrs. JJ's guardian angel is very efficient.

Out for a little 3-mile toddle early this afternoon, to make sure I still could.

Everything seemed very calm in Israel - at least the bits we were in, which of course were not adjacent to Gaza. Apparently there was a bomb in Tel Aviv the day before we were going there to fly home, but no causalties and security didn't seem any more intense than it had been previously. It wasn't until I got home and people started saying  "We're so glad you got back safely" that I realised what had been going on. But the Israelis themselves made light of it, and complained that the world's press makes it sound dire when it actually doesn't disrupt most people's daily lives. Of course, they are permanently on alert anyway, so this is included in their daily lives.

18/11/2012 at 22:26

TS
Did I forget to put on my road shoes?
I came in from the garden in wellies so maybe I forgot to take them off before I ran.
JJ

aws
19/11/2012 at 08:13

Good morning

5.09M; 1:04:10.3; 12:37/M;
1 - 12:42.0 - 1.00 - 12:42
2 - 12:50.9 - 1.00 - 12:51
3 - 12:50.3 - 1.00 - 12:50
4 - 12:39.7 - 1.00 - 12:40
5 - 12:19.8 - 1.00 - 12:20
6 - 0:47.7 - 0.09 - 9:04
3°C

TS - Can I please have a go of your ol' bloke's castoffs? They'd do me a bit of good by their looks.

al

aws
19/11/2012 at 09:05

JJ - That must have been a hair-raising experience for Mrs JJ. Glad she's OK.

al

aws
19/11/2012 at 09:06

Wait for it...

aws

http://alanshelley.co.uk/tiger.jpg

Recently dug out this painting that I did circa 1958 in poster colours (a cheap form of gouache).

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 09:12
Good morning,

Aws
Another run with the same result, are you sure you are not running by clockwork?

Columba
I have to say I did look online to see if you were in a safe area. Stewart emailed a client of his who lives in Israel and he responded saying they were all fine and that the reports on TV made what is going on look a lot worse than it really is. I think what you said must be relevant, they have all grown up with these problems and actions taken becomes common place.

JJ
Phew, mrs JJ had a close encounter. Your next road run will feel easier, whenever I run on grass but have to get on the pavement in order to run home it really jars my body.

TS
What I said was the pace was ok for your run, in fact better than ok. I didn't say that your legs were happy!

On the subject of the M25, I picked up a tiny stone on my window screen the other day, thought I had got away with it only to find that about 3 hours later that a huge crack appeared in the screen. About 14 inches long. I had won ??75 (25x3) earlier in the week. Guess what the excess was on the window screen insurance, yes, ??75!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.