Over 60s training.

127,341 to 127,360 of 133,890 messages
20/11/2012 at 12:36

good day

Busbar
I now have an image of you  sitting by the computer in shorts
A bit of easy walking may help the calfs

Ceal
nothing miserable about your run despite the conditions - anything over 7 miles counts as a  long run. Heels still lifting shows your legs are strong 

Weather here is as you described it but also very mild. I will run tonight as we are promised pie and peas. That should finally settle my stomach!!!

20/11/2012 at 12:53

TS, I have put the lady's version of the Decathlon merino on my Christmas list. Only concern is that their sizing chart looks a bit odd to me. I suspect where they say UK size they have actually given a US size.

Mick, what a shame that the race was so chaotic - hopefully they have learned a lot of valuable lessons for next time, and at least you got a good tempo run.

My garmin objected to the wet yesterday, and wouldn't stop or reset, with the result that it logged about 5 miles in the car. I worked out how to delete laps on the watch itself, but they must still be there in some ghostly way, and when I uploaded to Fetch, I got a stunning 9 mile pace. Evem Mo would have been proud!

Excellent, ceal. I'm sure I plod AND shuffle by the end of a run . I did feel quite energetic on the hill pyramids in hard rain last night though.

20/11/2012 at 13:08

TS-Pie&Peas is definitely worth turning up for, have a good run.

Diana d-That garmin blip has hapenned to me a few times,i find it strange because i know i stopped my watch.

Ceal-Have to be honest i dont massage the calves and i should as it is so easy to do.Shuffling and plodding i had enough of that in marathon.Ceal 7miles you seem to be running more than the whole thread,well done. 

20/11/2012 at 15:58

Mick, what a disaster your race was. I can't remember if I posted this on here, or another part of the forum, but I was spectating at a 10K race a couple of weeks ago which also had to be restarted because of runners going the wrong way. It was because some of the leaders mistakenly followed a member of the public cycling in a yellow jacket rather than the lead cyclist. So, unlike your race, in no way the fault of the organisers. Pity, as you were going so well.

busbar, a very respectable HM time even if it was slower than the last couple of years. Well done for being a pacer.

I ran a cross-country race on Saturday, 4.9 miles at 7:22 pace. Three laps on grass and mud, mostly flat but with three short sharp hills on each lap. Sunny conditions after overnight rain and enjoyable as usual. Our club had a really good turn-out. It was another 40-plus mile week for me but I missed a track session on purpose in light of having two races in the week. 

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 16:00
20/11/2012 at 17:44

Diana
didn't do the ladies sizing charts - but I could always offer a  personal fitting service  
The one I got was a Large Male size, where I normally take XL, but it is still a bit loose fitting and the arms are certainly long enough!!!! So it could be USA sizing
Like your way of improving pace

Graham
x country will more than make up for the track on that sort of course - those short, sharp hills get to one don't they. The Bowl at Gateshead stadium was evil in its intensity but good fun to run - when fit!!!

Very mild now but very windy - may even be a shorts evening!!

20/11/2012 at 17:51
We have a Decalthlon at Lakeside
20/11/2012 at 17:52

TS
Enjoy your pie and peas. You certainly deserve to.

20/11/2012 at 18:36

Maybe I'll send you off with a tape measure Tracey! They did give size in centimetres, which is what made me more suspicious, as they had a measurement of 84 - 87cm (33 - 34.5 inches) listed as a size 6. I would think it was a size 10.

Good going on the cross country Graham.

20/11/2012 at 19:12

Belated happy birthday Tracey! Oh to be in the forties again!

Ceal - yes more impressive training! I can see a 10km in my magic mirror!

Mick - shame about your race when you were going so well. Looking good for your next one.

Graham - those xcountry races will be making you strong.

No run from me yesterday - just didn't get around to it, though did have a good run in Cornwall Park on Monday.

20/11/2012 at 20:32

Diana
After 5 miles in the car check the number of calories burned. It's an easy way to lose weight 

20/11/2012 at 21:21

Just been reading an article about how watching scary films makes you lose weight. Or at least, burn more calories through increased heart-rate etc. than non-scary films. The best one is The Shining, apparently, with The Exorcist coming close behind. 

Out with the running club tonight, in conditions of luminosity which varied from dim to pitch-black. Several of them had head torches, and I'm beginning to think I should get one; there are a couple of months of this murk ahead of us. 5.17 miles. As usual, I was well behind them but they never seem to mind waiting for me. It just means they get a rest and a chat, and I don't.

aws
21/11/2012 at 07:35

Good morning

5.10M; 1:04:11.9; 12:36/M;
1 - 12:28.2 - 1.00 - 12:28
2 - 12:33.1 - 1.00 - 12:33
3 - 12:53.2 - 1.00 - 12:53
4 - 12:43.4 - 1.00 - 12:43
5 - 12:38.7 - 1.00 - 12:39
6 - 0:55.3 - 0.10 - 9:28
10°C

It started to rain about halfway round and I got back soaked without even a neg split

al

21/11/2012 at 08:15

Good Morning,

It rained all day yesterday, all night and it's still coming down. .

aws
Another steady run with much the same numbers involved.

Graham
Many runners don't do track work in the winter if they are doing c-country races. You produced another excellent race.

Columba
It sounds as if a head torch would make life a lot safer. However, I have nver run with one, having never run in the dark.

TS
Hope the mild conditions produced a pleasant run for you resulting in giving you a good appetite for the pie and peas.

NZC
your magic mirror is correct, I do have a 10k race in Feb, however, this has been announced on the thread already, because I asked JJ if he had done the race in the past.

There just is no hidden agenda to my training at all. No pressure, no real expectations either, if I run a good time in a race, then that is excelent and I will be very pleased but if I run a carp time in a race, then that is just too bad, not important.

I am not running this weekend due to going to Sandown Park on Sat and Sun to help out my sponsor (Neovite), it is either the Running Show or theTri Show, not sure which. 

I am not looking forward to running in the rain yet again today. I also wish I could flatten out the hills, just for a day!    

21/11/2012 at 09:02
I have just made a decision, I am not running this morning, I just cannot face the pouring rain AGAIN!

Tomorrow I am going to London to meet a friend for the day. We are having a half face make over done by a company called Bare Minerals. Apparently the make up artists do one side of our face and we do the other! So we both could look rather strange for the rest of the day.
21/11/2012 at 10:19

It's a lot brighter here in Hampshire ceal, so you might get an opportunity later? I love the idea of your half face makeover - hope you can get the other half to just about match!

I log my runs on Fetch, and fortuitously, he has just introduced a slider above the map of the run, so you can move along it, seeing pace, HR etc at any given point. It also allows you to see the point where run ends and car begins! He must have known I needed it just now. 

21/11/2012 at 11:28

good morning

pouring down here too so I am pleased it is a NRD

I am also quite pleased I am not going to London until Friday - there maybe some strange sights on the streets tomorrow  (ducks!!!)

Columba
they stand around and chat?? They should all run back to you and then carry on!!
I did too much of that last night with a couple of Hashers just walking round as they were nursing injuries - made for some very long back stretches.
However the pie and peas in the pub  afterwards tasted very nice so it must have done me some good. Couldn't face brown sauce though so still obviously under the weather!!

We were approached by a very attractive blonde barmaid in the bar selling calenders for a local children's charity. When it was found out that they were "tasteful" nude studies, a la Calender Girls, all modelled by locals in the pub,  sales increased dramatically 

An interesting fact emerged talking to her about it. They had originally approached the local hospice as a fund raising idea for them. The hospice wanted £250 up front to use their logo and a guaranteed £1500 return!!!!!
The pub politely told them where to go  and instead the children's charity will benefit from several hundred pounds.

21/11/2012 at 11:45
Diana it is still persistent rain here, too late now for me to go out even if ;the weather;does clear up. Anyway it is now blowing a hooligan here too.

I. meant to say I have ordered some merino wool goodies from Smartwool. It was on offer with Sport Pursuit which I signed up with. They are a bit of a nuisance as one gets an email from them every day telling one of their offers, however, I did spot a bargain with Smartwool one day. I am awaiting the delivery of the goods.  

TS
The attitude of the hospice surprised me, that is very naughty of them. They were doing none of the work for the money. It was good to hear that the pie and peas slipped down easily even if it was without the brown sauce!!
Edited: 21/11/2012 at 12:12
21/11/2012 at 17:41

Evening

Have a nice time tomorrow, have heard of them, we've sold them in the past not sure presently as i rarely do make up JML sell a pack of their stuff

TS - i picked up a cycle map at the bike shop for Thurrock which gave me the idea for my Monday run and the lookout for other runs  i'd like to get maps of nearby boroughs as well if i fo further afield  good for long runs too.

I know you can get it on the web but  much easier to look at a folded out  proper paper map

Didn't feel like running yesterday and i didn't will run tomorrow felt out of sorts went to work early dropped off my cycle helmet at work and went to see a film first since earlier this year (Sherlock Holmes) I went to see Skyfall as for one who isn't into Bond  i loved it to bits exciting funny. I swear the script writer did a brilliant job some of the lines were classic i will definitely be buying the dvd when it comes out. Want to see The Hobbit as well and Les Miserables looks good

Dentist for me today one filling he is best pleased with me teeth are getting better

21/11/2012 at 17:52
I went club and Roobarb, so of you know her came and we ran with Advance First Steps group. She managed to run 2.42 miles non stop, that the longest in over a year due to being treated for cancer.
21/11/2012 at 19:31

Hello,
10c, sunny and no wind, even ran in shorts.

ceal,
I had forgotten about your 10k, you are definitely building your endurance. I haven't focused on a 10k for a long time but it use to be my distance of choice as a youngster, that is a 30 year old. I am trying to remember what my training was like back then. I know I did a lot of 5k tempo runs and 400s 
Unfortunately I don't have another race until my 10k next May. We are having delightful weather right now but it could change overnight to very cold and deep snow.

After my wood chopping I was really pooped but still managed a 9k run and the same again today even if I had to cut back on the weight work as my upper was what was tired.

Mick

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.