Over 60s training.

127,361 to 127,380 of 133,910 messages
21/11/2012 at 19:49

Mick - shame that there are so few races where you live - they help to keep you motivated. Maybe you could start a Parkrun like they did here in Auckland.

Ceal - looks like you are going to have a very full weekend.

Torque Steer - sounds like you enjoyed your hashrun and the "afters".

Pammie - agree, it's nice to check out new routes to run.

Tracey - roobarb must have been pleased with herself.

I ran with my friends yesterday - about 6 miles - flat.

21/11/2012 at 20:05
NZC - Roobs said she was buzzing The last 5 years have been hell for her, not only the cancer but running a pub and the brewery bleeding her dry
21/11/2012 at 20:47

NZC,
There are plenty of races during the season but when the snow flies they dramatically reduce. There are a couple in December, Santa shuffle and a Resolution run, New Years eve but they are full. Racing in January and February can be a little tough. I have a lot of rebuilding to do so I don't really mind.
Oh to live in NZ where you can ride your bonnie every day. 

21/11/2012 at 20:47

Roobarb posts on Fetch, but I had no idea she'd had such problems.

Pammie - snap! I was at the dentist today, too. Only a check-up, nothing to be done except scale and polish and she did that on the spot.

Grey, gloomy, damp day, though without Ceal's persistent rain. Was an NRD, however. And so will tomorrow be, as I plan to go swimming.

aws
22/11/2012 at 10:06

Good morning

nrd

Ceal - I think you asked about my working in gouache in my teens? The answer is not much. The Tiger was painted 1958 and I was already out of my teens. In case you are interested, here is a link to as much of my work before 1960 as I can locate at present. I didn't think of taking photographs of it back then and, even if I had, I didn't have the equipment. 

al

22/11/2012 at 10:51

good morning

Pammie
Les Miserables is one of my favourite books and I never thought it could be turned into a stage musical. Eventually saw it some years ago in London and it was brilliant. If you can get to a stage showing it will be so much better - a bit like Phantom of the Opera stage v film

Tracey
good on Rhoobs.
Running a brewery?? That sounds like my kind of running We currently have three members of the Hash who are recovering in varying degrees from various cancer threatments. In typical caustic humour they are referred to as the Three Degrees!!!

NZC
the afters are always very good - excellent this time round

Mick6
racing in -20C with thick snow and ice - that's called husky racing isn't it??

Weird weather just now. Went from very mild, very wet yesterday  morning tod ry and cold last night with extremely clear sky so I went out dressed appropriately to find it had turned mild again so the merino base layer was unnecessary!!

3.1 miles done in 23:37 (7:42m/m) with avHR 134 and a max of 155

1m 7:48 hr 127/141
2m 7:41 hr 140/151 pleased with this one back up the slight hill
3m 7:42 hr 139/149 up and down in equal measure 
.1m 0:25 hr 151/155 as I tried to get under  23:30 - and failed 

Legs told me there was not much more to give - I don't have enough strength for a running warm up and cool down though I did manage a trot back home from my finishing lamp post marker 
the haversack exercises were very heavy afterwards !!!

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 10:54
22/11/2012 at 17:11

ceal, I have a Smartwool long-sleeved top with half zip, which I absolutely love. I've not worn it for running, but it's great for hiking or just to layer in cold weather. It was reduced in Go Outdoors, and I couldn't resist.

Pammie, I really enjoyed Skyfall too.

8 x 400m reps last night, and the group managed very consistent times. I managed them in 1:45 give or take a second. Total 4.65 miles including warm-up and cool-down. Using the new slider on Fetch, which lets you step round your route showing pace at each point, the reps seem to have been around 7:30 - 7:45 pace (a recovery run for ceal!)

22/11/2012 at 18:15

Good work Diana - nothing wrong with those reps!

Torque Steer - you'd be under 23 if it was a race.

Mick - it must be tough living in those sorts of conditions.

No run from me yesterday, just a walk to the cafe with the family and Mae. Did spend some time weeding later.

It is starting to get very hot here, so unless I get out early, I don't really like running in the heat.

22/11/2012 at 18:46
I managed 4 miles in the wind today A pace that my hamstring was happy with
22/11/2012 at 21:19

Ran 5 miles yesterday morning in the cold, rain and gale force wind. The return journey was as slow as the outward stretch because I was bushed after running 2.5 miles into the gale. Dog walked in the afternoon in similar conditions.

No running today due to the need to do two dog walks

Tracey
Remember me to Roobarb when you next see her. I'm sure she's seen my doodle a few years ago.
JJ

22/11/2012 at 21:20

Diana
Just noticed your 400s. Very good pace.
JJ

22/11/2012 at 22:03

Aws, I tried your link and got "page not found".

Monsoon-type rain here this afternoon; was cascading across streets and turning flights of steps into temporary waterfalls in town. Has now settled down to steady rain. Went swimming (no, not in the streets).

aws
22/11/2012 at 22:56

Columba - it is working OK as far as I can see. Perhaps you could try again?

Alternatively try this https://picasaweb.google.com/ieoziges/EarlyPaintings which is what you should see if you just float the mouse cursor over the previous link.

al

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 22:58
aws
23/11/2012 at 08:00

Good morning

4.12M; 52:09.3; 12:39/M;
1 - 12:51.3 - 1.00 - 12:51
2 - 12:46.8 - 1.00 - 12:47
3 - 12:53.5 - 1.00 - 12:53
4 - 12:26.8 - 1.00 - 12:27
5 - 1:11.0 - 0.12 - 9:3
9°C

Didn't feel like running this morning and I nearly didn't go. Then when I did get out I found some animal had overturned our non-recyclable waste wheelie bin and spread the contents all across the footpath and grass verge, it being collection day so all the bins were out. I had to pick it all up and put it back in the bin all in the dark and by the time I'd finished I wasn't happy. I couldn't face my usual Friday 6 miles so I decided on 5, then before I finished the first mile I had commuted the whole thing to 4 miles so WYSIWYG, well it's what I did anyway.

al

23/11/2012 at 15:16

Cross training and a run then aws.

Nice and bright here today, but my drive to the running club committee meting across the forest last night was slightly alarming in the wind. By the time I was coming back it had rained hard, but eased off a bit, but lots of slightly flooded roads to contend with. Hopefully it will still be dry overhead for the club run this evening, although it won't be underfoot.

Glad you had a comfortable outing Tracey 

23/11/2012 at 17:32

Diana,
Impressed with your 400s, well done.
Good luck with the mud.

TS,
What was your avg % WHR for that run?

Last two days runs were both in shorts but the forecast is for dropping temps. Hope to hit 30 miles this week or at least get close.

Mick 

24/11/2012 at 09:29

Aws - all four miles were nevertheless under 13.

I'm still getting "Sorry, that page was not found". Could it be something to do with using Firefox rather than Chrome?

Yesterday was lovely and sunny (following the previous day's monsoon-type downpours) and I had to go to the next town down the road (there is a mobile phone shop there, but not where I live, and my phone has appparently given up). So I decided to run there, rather than from my front door.  Worked out a route the first half of which was alongisde the Wye (part of the Wye Valley Walk), returning along a little country road. The Wye hadn't quite flooded (it often does, in that area) but was full to the brim and galloping along. Route turned out to be very wet and muddy, - in some places I was slithering down slopes hanging onto tree-trunks - not quite what I'd had in mind, and the worst of it was I was wearing Adizeros though Innov-8s would have been more appropriate. Well, I have to go back next week (no PAYG phones currently in stock) so might do the same run again, in Innov-8s. Just over 6 miles. 

24/11/2012 at 11:51

It was indeed muddy in a couple of places, though the majority of the run was on gravel trails. I still had to remove my shoes and socks outside the front door though! Total of 7.39 miles:

1) - 1m - 9:55(9:55/m) - road & trail
2) - 1m - 9:35(9:35/m) - trail 
3) - 1m - 9:35(9:35/m) - trail
4) - 1m - 10:56(10:56/m) - muddy section! 
5) - 1m - 10:09(10:09/m) - trail 
6) - 1m - 12:11(12:11/m) - even muddier, and got slightly lost
7) - 1m - 9:46(9:46/m) - trail & road
8) - 0.39m - 3:52(9:54/m) - road

Quite pleased with the pace on the trail sections, as it wasn't flat. Your route sounded even more challending Columba, but we both seem to have enjoyed ourselves.

24/11/2012 at 20:59

Been with daughter and new grandaughter all day. Junior was fed wearing a little bib with "If you think I'm cute wait until you see my grandad" embroidered on it.

Columba/Diana
Tough ladies!
JJ

24/11/2012 at 21:18

I must concur with JJ, that is tough running Ladies.

A 10 miler for me today, the first one for a while. I ran in a group of friends so the pace was quicker about 8:40 per mile but it felt good. Heels were a little sore towards the end but not bad, well pleased. Followed with a group fry up breakfast, a lot of fun.

Mick

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.