Over 60s training.

127,421 to 127,440 of 134,587 messages
aws
28/11/2012 at 08:26

Good morning

5.10M; 1:05:36.4; 12:52/M; 6°C

A bit better than yesterday but not much. Anyway, I'm beginning to think that what's important is the mileage not the speed. I'm also beginning to wonder whether it's now time to dump the shorts (they're wearing out anyway) and get into tights. Maybe warmer legs will be better performers.

al

28/11/2012 at 08:47
Aws
That is more like it. The pace starts with a 12. An hour's training is worth a lot.
28/11/2012 at 08:57
Ceal - congratulation to your daughter in law

My hamstring was ok at that pace thou legs were tired and it was windy last night. Having a rest day today and then tomorrow I'm going to do my 4 mile route.
28/11/2012 at 09:25
Tracey
Thanks. The progress being made by your hamstring is looking encouraging.
28/11/2012 at 09:52
Ceal - I just have to watch the pace of my runs. Cutting down on my shredding but will keep it up for strength and core work. Doing Santa Run with Andre on Sunday Will be making Friday my long run day as its easier when Andre's at school plus it will give me 2 rest days between Tuesday's club run. Plan to shred on Wednesday and Sunday's
28/11/2012 at 10:02
Tracey
Sounds a sensible plan.
28/11/2012 at 10:32
I would have run on Friday but am going to Barking Road Runners Christmas party on Friday. Will be the same the following we as its my clubs Christmas party.
28/11/2012 at 11:41

Tracey
Lots of party's.

aws
I agree with you about putting on running tights if the weather continues like today. You must have found it very cold earlier this morning. I put on my 3/4 ones this morning.  

I set out for an easy run and couldn't get going, I found it rather cold, the wind was very cold making the chill factor lower than the actual temp of 5c. My hands never got warm and the thought of winter runner doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm at all. It will be cold in the Park on Friday too. Also, I did get a bit wet too. The weather just can't seem to resist throwing down some rain.   

Anyway, I ran only for 3.4 miles with 4 x 100's thrown in, which I did enjoy. I had walk back recoveries and only ran them at 90% effort except the last one where I gave it a bit of welly in 19 secs, the others were around 21 secs. .    

Edited: 28/11/2012 at 11:42
28/11/2012 at 12:44

Ceal-Think your right about trying to get motivated during the winter,its a struggle sometimes.Good you enjoyed those 100's it's a distance i/ve never really done

Mick6-Nice a masterclass in the use of garmins,

Went and done a pyramid workout at the track last night which was,400s 600s 800s 1k 800s 600s 400s with 200m recovery between a sort of walk jog affair.

Ran a fairly even pace overall the 400s 1.40/1.41 600s 2.21/2.23 800s 3.16/3.15 the 1k 4.10 although i hadn't run since thursday last the legs didn't seem that fresh

28/11/2012 at 14:36
Ceal - it's even harder motivating yourself to do long runs.
28/11/2012 at 16:06

Afternoon

Aws/Ceal it was bitterly cold as i cycled home at 6am it was also bitterly cold the cold that feels its biting your face as i cycled in last night  yet i saw a man run un shorts didn't know whether to call him brave or Daft

As for intervals on Garmins when i used the track i did it the ceal way as asy to tell ditance on track otherwise  i do it the Mick way nce programmed in its there for as long as you need it

Last night for a few nights still going to busy over them.

28/11/2012 at 16:18

ceal, well done to your daughter in law (and son) for the walk in those conditions.

NZC, I've programmed a few sessions for my garmin using Training Center, and found it quite easy to do. It was useful when we were doing the run/walk sessions with our beginners, as it can be programmed for time only. There are complete training plans that you can download from RW and then import too.

Will definitely be layering up for running tonight, it is feeling very nippy. No rain today though, thank heavens. Even worse on a bike, from what my husband tells me.

Hope Mrs JJ enjoys her new car - sure she will.

28/11/2012 at 16:51

Diana -hate to say this but your husbands right

28/11/2012 at 18:24
Who's running LFOTM?
28/11/2012 at 20:26

Thanks everyone for your tips re my Garmin.

Ceal - good work getting out there when it is so cold, and great 100s. Well done to your daughter-in-law and your son - that was some walk!

Busbar - great track work - you are pretty fast!

I've used my Garmin 3 times now, and all with pretty pitiful results! Most of my runs are shorter than I thought, therefore I am slower than I thought, and I already thought I trained slow! Can't quite work out how I manage to run as fast as I do in my races compared to my training!

Yesterday's run with my friends was 8.9km 55.38 ave HR 140 max HR 170

I'm looking forward to doing some intervals with it, but I'm feeling a bit dizzy this morning, so not sure if it is going to be today. Maybe tomorrow.

28/11/2012 at 20:28

Aws - where is Eastcourt? - Almost monochrome, that picture.

That was a long walk your d-i-l did. Did she raise much for Jeans for Genes? (Did she wear jeans for the walk?)

Turning much colder here. Anyone not wearing long warm tights is as Pammie says brave or daft. Also as Pammie says, "the sort of cold that feels as though it's biting your face" - I know just what you mean!

NRD. Was working. Drove back from Aberystwyth behind a gritter. (Not all the way).

28/11/2012 at 20:28

Oh btw the result came out for my track 3000m that I ran on 18th Nov - 13.39 

28/11/2012 at 21:25

I was summoned last week to my GP for one of the check-ups I get every so often. Got the blood test results today and no worries so I suppose I've got no excuse for not running.

For Garmin intervals I change to metric and simply press the lap button at  .4k or .6k or whatever distance is required. You can of course use time instead. If a "lap" turns out to be, say, 410m it's easy to divide the time by 410 and mulltiply by 400 to get the 400m time.

Ceal
Good result for your d-in-l and a very good charity to support. MrsJJ's school used to have a day's fund raising for them every year.

NZC
Hope you're pleased with the 3k time. I would be.

Tracey
Busy, busy girl.

Diana
MrsJJ is well pleased.
JJ

29/11/2012 at 06:46
Morning all

JJ - congratulations on passing your MOT ;-??
29/11/2012 at 07:57
Good morning,

JJ
Good medical result. Yes good charity, I hadn't heard of it until it became pertinent to our family.

Busbar
Some good times on he track, however, maybe it would be better if you just did easy runs for a while and maybe more frequently because you are not doing speed work and the runs could just be 30--40 mins long which will aid your recovery faster and not drain your resources even more. Just and idea.

NZC
It doesn't matter that you run slowly because you are running a lot of miles a week and so your aerobic fitness is excellent. But of course intervals etc should be fast. Excellent 3000 time.

OMG I didn't sleep well last night because I received a call last evening telling me that the Japanese Broadcasting Corp are coming here to my house at 1.00 today to interview me and take photos of my trophies etc etc etc. I now have too much adrenaline rushing through my body, Stewart comes home this evening (after being away for nearly 5 weeks). There will be one English speaking person in the group of the film crew plus the director of the film. I need to swot up on Japanese etiquette, like learning to bow!
Edited: 29/11/2012 at 08:04
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.