Over 60s training.

127,441 to 127,460 of 133,888 messages
K2
29/11/2012 at 08:27

ceal
What an exciting day! A future star of japanese tv and Stewart coming home. (Bet I know which is the better part!)
Don't worry about the bowing! All the lovely Japanese people I met when I was on the Mizuno stand were lovely and no-one bowed. In fact, I had two of the top bosses sitting on the floor clipping trouser hangers together for me!

29/11/2012 at 09:28

Ceal - I can imagine you are very nervous, but you will do very well. When I ran the Tokyo women's marathon in 1982 I found the whole interview thing very hard. I know things have changed over the years, but when I was interviewed they had the reporter running after me gasping as if she were out of breath, just for the show.

Nothing felt very real, but all very polite and very entertaining. I'm afraid I didn't run very well in the race, had a major panic attack not very far into it and had to stop, dig my fingers into my stomach for the pain to go before starting running again. But I'm sure you will handle everything with grace.

It will be good to have Stewart home.

JJ - glad you got a clean bill of health.

29/11/2012 at 09:38

K2
thanks re the bow, I had been wondering how I shook hands and bowed at the same time without banging heads.

NZC
I do feel rather panicky myself. But I am keeping busy until they arrive, for instance, right now I am going to the supermarket to buy some silver polish so I can make my cups a bit cleaner!!! I have done my face!!!

29/11/2012 at 09:48

Ceal - very exciting - I'll have to look for your report in the morning. Good luck.

29/11/2012 at 16:38
NZC
I omitted from saying that I am very impressed with the fact that you ran the Tokyo marathon.

Well the have been and gone. They were a very pleasant crew. I talked the talk, my medals have been well photographed, I drank the drink. Even my cat was captured by the camera as he licked, with much pleasure, the colostrum off my finge.. I managed to escape their request for me to go out for a run, because they will be doing that tomorrow in the Park.

The crew have been interviewing the scientists all week, who have been, and still are, researching the benefits of it.

I am now feeling rather tired and Stewart has just landed at Heathrow, if I had a smilie I would put one here
Edited: 29/11/2012 at 16:40
29/11/2012 at 16:56

ceal, to me it doesn't seem a couple of weeks since you said Stewart was off on his travels. It must have seemed like ten to you though. Good luck tomorrow and everyone else running the LFOM.

29/11/2012 at 18:25

Ceal - well done on getting through the interview; sounds as though it all went well. Hope Stewart is home by now.

Very frosty this morning, but sunny as well, so I waited until midday in hopes the sun would have melted the frost, before going out to run 4.72 miles. It had, but only where it had been directly shining; still frosty in the shade. The town lake was not frozen though, except the shallow bits. I wore a base layer, top and jacket, and coddled my ears with a headband. And gloves. Little fingers went numb in spite of the gloves, but thawed out later. 

This afternoon the electrician has been here, and has replaced the faulty light fitting in the kitchen so at last I don't have to cook by the light of a bedside lamp.

29/11/2012 at 18:44

Ceal - sounds like it all went perfectly - well done. Good luck with your race.

Columba - I think you guys are amazing, running is such cold conditions. I am very lucky where I live, I can always run in shorts, and even in winter probably only need a tshirt and a long sleeved one over top. I hardly ever wear gloves. I do wear a cap in the summer for the sun, and in the winter for the rain.

I had a bit of a disaster with my garmin yesterday. I thought I'd try 4 x 400, and included the recovery lap, warm-up, warm down in the reading. Don't quite know what I did wrong, but realized it was recording my recovery lap as my interval, and then I tried to change it, so I only got 2 readings that made much sense - one of the 400s was 1.46, and the other 1.43. 

My back/neck is out, and I was feeling a little dizzy and a bit sick, but still wanted to see if I could get my programming right. Maybe next time. I think a visit to the chiro is next on the agenda.

29/11/2012 at 18:51

Tracey
With a new MOT my secondhand value must have improved.

Ceal
Your fame is now clearly international.  My dealings with the Far East didn't involve bowing but they do like a very formal approach and they love exchanging business cards.

5 weeks up already?  Does Stewart now get some R & R?

NZC
Thanks. I'm v ery glad my medics do these checks every couple of years since I turned 60. It's very reassuring.
JJ

29/11/2012 at 22:33
Edited: 29/11/2012 at 22:35
aws
30/11/2012 at 08:55

Good morning

4.13M; 52:58.1; 12:50/M; -0.5°C

Got up late so cut my customary Friday 6-miler to 4. Something similar occurred last week but for a different reason. Dumped the shorts for tights which helped a little but it 's a good bit colder than we've had hitherto, so there's only a marginal improvement.

al

30/11/2012 at 13:42

Good morning,
Running going well and should be over 30 miles this week.

ceal,
Your interview sounds like fun. Over the years I have done a lot of business with the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese. I have always found it best to adopt a hunble but diginified approach which really contrast with doing business with Americans.
It sounds like it went well though.

JJ,
I too have a MOT every year but according to an article I read recently it does not help in early detection of diesese. My doctor is retiring at the end of this year so I will be without one. The state of the NHS here is such that my chances of finding a new one is not good. The walk in clinics are very good though, you can usually see a doc within a hour.

I am stuck in the car service lounge at the moment waiting for my car so I will not get to my run for a while. It is cold today -12c so hopefully by the time I am ready it will be a lot warmer.

Mick

30/11/2012 at 17:14
Brief report if today's activities.

A very cold day, shock to the system. But it was also a beautiful day, sun shining and very little in the way of wind. But of course nothing like Mick6 -12c!

Te filming went well, I did little bows like yesterday and shook hand too. I think the way the Japanese approach one makes one behave in a very polite way to them, just as mick6 has said I was humble!

JJ I was presented with their business card yesterday and
Stewart got one today.

All the filming and interviewing went well.

I found the first k of the race hard, I struggled with the cold air in my lungs and my lips and chin froze! I ran step by step with Eric who most of you have met, with me just finishing in front of him, only just. My av HR was 153, I found it too cold to get going any faster. It was the 2 lap course, which seems to be all uphill!

My 1st k was slow in 4.46 mins, the middle 3 k were all 4.41mins, so very steady. Then I put in fast last k in 4.22 mins.

Finishing time was 23:17 ish. Which will give me a 98.8% age grading. So can't complain on a cold day.

I need to go and relax now, it has been a full on 2 days.

Good to meet up and lunch with Pammie.

The Winter Wonderland fair was HUGE, twice as big as before, but there were some quality European stalls there, more like the German Christmas Fairs.
Edited: 30/11/2012 at 18:35
30/11/2012 at 19:00

Evening

Back too

Was great to meet upwith Ceal as always. It was cold but  a good as a day you can expect for the last day in November Didn't know how i would run today as only done about 28 miles this month and last run was  i think about 11 days ago!!!!!!

2 laps as ceal said it  seems uphill for majority of lap and steeper on the 2nd lap  had a steady paced race i think good start even if a bit congested 5:07. Narrow path on 2nd km kinda got boxed as runner behind  went ahead and joined the runner just ahead initially this was ok i could stay behind and have a comfy ride  but it was too comfy a gap appeared and i shot through.2nd km in 5:10 onto the 2nd lap feeling it  can i do another lap hill is steeper like i said 3rd km coming up forgot to press lap carry on for a mile in 8:18.

Decide to check my  lap at 4km 2:02 for the 400m or so well just under. Onto the last km A few ahead of me a couple pass me  but too big a gap now to make sure the ones i sense behind me  stay there. I hear breathing but i don't look. Stay relaxed arms at side swing said arms see finish line in distance but its always longer than it looks keep going no one overtakes Finish in 25:31 last km in 4:56.

Am i pleased you betcha. considering what little running i've done and how tired i was feeling.

One of the Chasers speaks to me  after thanks me for pulling me along  that was nice so was asking me  what my splits were.

30/11/2012 at 19:24

evening all.
Nice cold day so went for 3.5 mile doodle walk, gardened for 3 hours then went for a 3.2 mile run so kept quite warm all day.

Ceal
Another good run today. You mustn't make Eric so quickly.

Tracey
Good result there. You're clearly keeping quite fit.
JJ

30/11/2012 at 22:07

Well done both Ceal and Pammie!

-12 degrees doesn't bear thinking about. Just a degree or two below freezing here.

Fed-up with drying washing round the house, so took it to the launderette and while it was tumble-drying ran 3 times round the lake (plus the distance between car and lake, that made 2.38 miles).

Wonder what Busbar meant to say?

01/12/2012 at 02:02

I just lost a long post!

Ceal - fantastic run - you are amazing!

Pammie - great run too - you must be pleased.

Columba - what a good way of using your time while you got your washing done.

I had a massage yesterday, felt very bruised afterwards. This morning I still felt battered but decided to still do my long run - 11.24 miles 9.48 pace which included a very long downhill and a very long uphill!

Then went and watched 3 yr old gdaughter dressed up as an elf in the local Santa parade.

01/12/2012 at 21:03

No-one on duty today?
Too much excercise today so didn't run.

NZC
3 y.o. elfs are great fun. They take it all very seriously.
JJ

01/12/2012 at 22:00
JJ - am not dance fit as my knees are aching today
02/12/2012 at 01:10

Not so cold here today only -8c.

Ran another 10 miler but a little slower as we were running on ice and packed snow.

A little quite around here today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.