Over 60s training.

127,461 to 127,480 of 133,876 messages
02/12/2012 at 11:31

Morning

Mick - well done. I was out all day again (sat) met K2 up London had a fab day. Today I'm off to work no running but on feet for a good 8 hours cycle there and back

02/12/2012 at 11:47

good morning

Not been presnt on parade for a few days as work took me away to Weston-Super-Mare and then Heathrow complete with diversions off the M5 through the flooded areas around Tewksbury - incredible sights!!
Then as I was just about to set off  home a client called and asked me to carry out some due diligence on a chain of luxury hotels so I had to stay overnight in a couiple of them - the things I have to do.....................
been writing reports all weekend just breaking off to watch the rugby (sorry NZC) which gave quite a boost!!!

JJ
congrats on the MOT - no bits need replacing????

Mick6
-8C sound almost pleasant for you. Good long run

Ceal
I look forward to seeing on YouTube your documentary in the near future. THat was a nice way to finish it off  with an excellent run in the Park - a very good time for the steeper course

Pammie
equally good going despite your recent lighter training 

NZC
I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to intervals as well - I manually start and stop  each lap and the recovery interval - it always works!!!

I hadn't run since Tuesday so this morning was quite appealing  - hard white frost overnight, bright sunshine and no wind. Off I went with my Adizeros making a satisfactory crunch underfoot as the hard inserts in the soles made good contact and grip on the frost

Same 5.15 miles as last Sunday,this is my current long run!!! Time 40:54 (7:56m/m) with avHR 138 (72%WHR) and a max of 163 as I pushed it a bit - too cold to hang around!!

1m 9:01 hr 139/160 all uphill
2m 7:21 hr 148/162 level,downhill pushing it
3m 7:43 hr 142/152
4m 7:47 hr 135/152 
5m 7:56 hr 133/163 Hipps Hill
.15m 1:04 hr 152/163 

Bit of a cheat as Hipps Hills started a bit earlier during mile 4 so my time getting up it was not quite as good as it looks but nevertheless I am happy with it overall - and how many times do I say that?????

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 11:48
02/12/2012 at 11:56

Took two of the g'children to the panto on Friday evening - absolutely brilliant evening which they loved- and the oldies quite enjoyed it as well. It had been Matilda's birthday a couple of days before and we had arranged for her name to be read out on stage by one of the cast and the whole theatre joined in singing Happy Birthday for her and a couple of other kids. You should have seen her face!!!

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 11:57
02/12/2012 at 15:02
Mick6
So you are already running on packed snow. Another 10miler under your belt.

Pammie
I am so pleased to hear that you had an excellent day out with K2.

TS
thank you for your kind remarks about my race and other activities on Friday. The Producer said he would send me a DVD copy of the documentary. They most certainly take a lot of footage for a half hour documentary. I am not the only star in the film. A lot of it must finish up on the cutting room floor.

I continue to be so impressed with your running pace, especially as now you can sustain it for 5 miles. It is very reassuring to read that the Adizeros have a good grip on frozen ground. In the race on Friday along the narrow top path, it was very narrow and overtaking was not easy unless one was prepared to run on the half frozen, half slippy de-frosted leaves on either side of the path. I didn't risk it!

If anybody has the slightest interest Stewart's photos from Friday are on my Facebook page.
02/12/2012 at 17:37

'lo
Ran a decent 5 miles this morning, all off road. Some surfaces were quite hard, others had mud with an ice crunch on the surface.

TS
What would I replace the bits with?
 I read earlier in the week about a small hotel group that was up for sale. Can't remember the name though.
Well done on still being able to knock out 7 minute miles.

Ceal
As you are one of the film stars I assume you didn't need to try the casting couch?

JJ

02/12/2012 at 17:49

Hello all,
It is raining here today and the temperature is supposed to go up to +8c so all the snow should disappear.

TS,
I am very impressed with your %WHR for a good pace, I know mine would be much higher for that pace.

ceal,
I have been still running the river trails so even with a small amount of snow it quickly gets packed down and icy.
I am surprised you could not have worked in a free trip to Japan to run a race or two??

JJ,
5 miles off road is a good effort. I know when I come off the frozen trail and on to the road my pace picks up by at least 30s per km.

Rest day for me today. Managed a 30 mile week so pleased with that.

Mick 

02/12/2012 at 18:26

I'm very cautious about running in icy conditions, so when I woke to frost I made a cup of tea and went back to bed with it. 

However, later it thawed and I ran 7 miles.

Mick, the temperatures where you are seem to be up and down like a yo-yo.

02/12/2012 at 19:12

Columba - think I would do the same thing! Don't think I would chance running on ice! Good to see you got out later and 7 miles!!

Ceal - great pics - you look very strong.

Torque Steer - nice running. Glad you guys got a win. 

JJ - good to see you out there too.

Mick - another 10 miler - great stuff! I am finding my heart rate is the hightest at the start of my run, even if it is flat at the start and big hills come in later on. Is that normal?

I had a day off yesterday, as my neck is still out and I was feeling tired from my long run on Saturday. 

02/12/2012 at 19:41
NZC
Thanks. I nearly always run for about 400 m's at the start of a run. Stop, wait until my HR goes back into the low 70's reset my watch and off I go. The reason being is that it takes me a couple of mins for my HR to settle. But another reason which might account for your HR being high at the start of your run is that maybe you haven't got a good contact with Tory strap.
02/12/2012 at 20:22

mick
I've also noticed how pace improves when you move from off-road to road running. When it's muddy you can see a 2 minutes per mile increase for no extra effort.

NZC
The main reason for running at the moment is to help with weight loss. I've shifted 7- 8lbs but I need to lose the same again before I would contemplate any form of serious training.
JJ

02/12/2012 at 21:02

Columba,
We do get some severe temperatures swings if the jet stream changes direction. It can bring down some really cold artic weather in a matter of hours. You can always tell when it is coming as the wind increases and has a real bite to it.

NZC,
I am sure that ceal is right as I did some experiments with wetting the contact area of my HRM strap. When I did not wet it at all, I got very high reading for the first mile or so before it achieved a good contact. I also found by not having wet and tight enough I would get erratic readings especially for the first mile.
Good luck with the wonky neck. 

K2
03/12/2012 at 08:28

Morning all

Good weekend - lovely visit to V and A with Pammie, wokrs 'do,' met ex-colleague and went to see the Lion King - fantastic costumes and special effects. Two days off then work on Weds.

I put all training (etc) on hold for the last two weeks because of my cold and rushing around for party frock, etc, so now I have no excuse. Going to PTOTY's workshop tinght for the first of two sessions plus internet stuff which will help me plan goals for next year and hopefully smash these as well! 

03/12/2012 at 10:21

good morning

K2
party frocks have a lot to answer for  

NZC
I find the new soft fit HR strap  from Garmin is producing some dodgy data at times - see below - despite it being both tight and well wetted. The trouble seems to be that the contact areas do not retain any moisture at all being very smooth and shiny. It may be that a gel is the only answer

JJ
I will leave the replacements to your imagination
good off road running - it is certainly a lot easier when one gets back to tarmac !!

MIck6
good mileage for the week despite the weather.
My HR is a source of some concern - I think the data may at times be off though that is mainly on the high side with lots of spikes

Early morning brought a light covering of snow which melted and then froze on the cold ground giving really nice conditions underfoot in the dark!!!!
Usual 3.1 miles in 25:21 (8:11m/m) with avHR148 (78% WHR - I don't think so!!) and a max of 190 - definitely not!!! 

1m 8:12 hr 162/190 rubbish
2m 8:11 hr 142/179 ditto
3m 8:12 hr 141/161 about right
.1m 0:56 hr 151/158

The HR graph looks ok - just a line going up and up and up on the first mile but it is clearly not picking up a proper signal as I was scarcely breathing!!!
Other than that it was an ok run - consistent pace despite terrain 

03/12/2012 at 10:27

Good Morning,

Just seen my typo to NZC. I have no idea what a tory strap is.

JJ
Good work on the crunchy stuff. Are you dieting as well as running? I wan't offered the casting couch.

K2
Can I suggest that when you have sorted your goals (again) that you post on here each day to make sure that you keep them up. 'cause then we can be cross with you when you don't do what you intend or give you a pat on the back when you do. What did you view at the V & A? 

I have been running this morning along my trail, and after 10 mins, I popped into a farmers field and ran for another 10 mins around a couple of undulating fields. Yes, I ran in longish rough muddy grass. Me, who doesn't like mud. I still don't, but I was brave. It has taken me 11 yrs of running to get to this point. I shall repeat the exercise and increase the time next time around. Back onto the trail and onwards, however, my HR was raised from the grass running and continued in that theme for the rest of the run which was hilly anyway. 

So 7.1 miles ran in 65 mins, av pace 9.13mm, av HR 131, MHR 149    

I have only worn my new trail shoes twice and they are filthy. YUCK. But I guess that is what they are for.  

03/12/2012 at 10:32

TS
I am not sure how many times we cross post in a morning, too numerous to count.

May I suggest that you buy a Polar Strap it will save a lot of hassle in the end. Either that or call Garmin and complain, they are very good and will ask you to return the strap that you have and they will send another. But in the end they are all carp. I have had about 4 or even 5 over the last 2 years. Gave up in the end and took your advice. So take your own advice 

K2
03/12/2012 at 12:13

TS
This one certainly did! 

ceal
Good idea about goals. They'll be tiny ones to start with and then I'll see where they take me. Possibly not the best way to plan goals, though.  I may need to end up with a slightly random schedule as I think I won't do gym/swim on my days off as it tends to take up an hour extra as I end up seeing customers and having to chat.

We looked at the British Design galleries, mostly, then silver and gold things. Lunch was good as well.

03/12/2012 at 12:31
K2
I can confirm and agree with you about lunch at the V & A. I had lunch there recently with sharkie. You will have to wear a disguise when you go swimming!
K2
03/12/2012 at 13:47

ceal
A bit difficult when you're in the changing room!

03/12/2012 at 14:16

The weather's made running a bit tricky in the last week - not impossible, just needed a little more thought than usual. Early in the week heavy rain had left floods on a couple of my normal routes so that meant finding alternatives. No problem of course and a change to run somewhere a little different.

A hard overnight frost on Tuesday was a little more difficult to work round as it left lots of black ice. I returned home after a mile one morning as it was just too dangerous. Normal frost or snow, hard-packed or not, are one thing, ice you can hardly see is another. Luckily the worst of it had gone by late afternoon and I managed to get a few miles in.

Then I did a 10 x 400 track session on Thursday. The first bend was completely iced over so that meant running off the track for a bit. Yesterday I thought a country-lane route I sometimes do would be OK after maybe a melt in the sun but ended up running on a main road. A quiet one though so not too bad.

We had snow overnight but that's mostly gone so the club run this evening should be fine hopefully.

Apologies for not responding to anything - there's just been so much.

03/12/2012 at 14:48

No run today. Tight adductor but nothing serious.

Ceal
I've cut back on carb intake by tight portion control rather than giving them up.
Clean shoes for running off road look all wrong.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.