Over 60s training.

127,521 to 127,540 of 133,863 messages
06/12/2012 at 14:41
Graham
You made the best today in what was offered to you in the way of suitable training surfaces. I suggest if an opportunity turns up tomorrow to relay your training session today that you describe how you took the best opportunity of a tricky training situation. To me is says a lot about your character and determination.

All the best for your interview tomorrow, I am sure your long cycling trip that you did will aid your experience cv. Where have you got to go for the interview?
06/12/2012 at 15:12

ceal
you x posted on my later post commenting on the fact that we had x posted  - and we were wearing merino wool tops - Great minds.

Graham
yuck underfoot
Distance for intervals doesn't have to be exact  - just the same distance for each! Lamp posts are good but 400m looks an awfully long way when it is stretched out in front of one, as I remember from my path over the Stray where I used to do them!!

The path through Valley Gardens up Hipps Hill was gritted and salted this morning - so no problems for me!!

06/12/2012 at 15:13

Ceal - you commented that I must have been working harder then usual - I probably was, and it's probably because I was with the running club. I'm nearly always at the back, but I do try to keep up and probably thereby push myself more than I do when running alone.

My bank also contacted me about an out-of-the-ordinary transaction (when I paid for my solar panels), which impressed me. 

Slightly horrified by the frosted perspiration! - though I suppose it shows what good insulation that merino top provides.

06/12/2012 at 15:18

Lots of frost this morning, so I hung around waiting to see if it would go (I admire Graham's determination, but don't emulate it). Eventually it did, sort of - melted from trees and roofs, though there was still ice on the puddles, but fortunately not too many puddles so I did 4.15 miles at a very unremarkable pace. Cold weather slows you down, I believe - something to do with more blood needed to maintain core temperature so less for carrying oxygen to the muscles? Someone on this thread explained it to me a winter or two ago.

Speaking of someones on this thread, - yes, where indeed are Impey and Empty? No-one know?

06/12/2012 at 15:33

Columba, some might call it determination, others (including myself sometimes) would call it obsession! It's one of the advantages of running with a club that you push yourself harder than you would on your own. I know I do, unless there's a race coming up.

TS, I do agree with what you say about how long 400m looks as a long straight as opposed to when it's a running track. Very deceptive.

ceal, we're meeting at a Costa for a coffee. I think he'll be interested in my long bike ride but maybe not so much impressed that I didn't get any charity sponsorship as that's his main motivation for what he does. I'll just be honest if he asks.

06/12/2012 at 17:24

Hope it goes well tomorrow, Graham. Well done on the training improvisation.

Columba, I'd really like to master front crawl too, and may try adult improvers lessons next year. I did notice them advertised at the pool where we take grandson.

NZC, I also took a while to master the right amount of pressure for working the garmin bezel, and be warned - if it rains, mayhem seems to ensu, so you need to lock the bezel in wet weather I've found.

Great opportunity to go to RS, K2.

Total 4.99 miles yesterday evening with the club, with 3 miles of tempo. Not particularly fast as I was leading the slower group. I wore a merino vest and long sleeved top, plus gloves, headband and a windstopper jacket, and never really warmed up! 

Just recently spotted that Southampton have a Decathlon store opening tomorrow!!

Slotted in a really brief run this morning - just 2 miles, but it means I've run every day this month so far, and I thought I might try to do the whole month, with at least 2 miles/20 minutes a day.

06/12/2012 at 17:42

Diana, even Christmas Day? Why not of course. Although it doesn't fall on a Saturday this year I was pleased to find that there's going to be a Newcastle Park Run on Christmas Day this year. I'll be there barring accidents. You would probably have warmed up last night if you'd been running at your own pace.

06/12/2012 at 18:55

Everyone is doing so well getting out in tough conditions.

Ceal - good long run there at a very good pace.

Graham - good speedwork from you too. By saying you are supporting this guy's run across Australia, do you mean actually going with him? Australia is huge - is he running or cycling? A young girl just ran the length of NZ - yes many have done it before, but none so young, I think she has just turned 19. She started talking about running around Australia - not sure she knows how tough that would be.

I didn't run yesterday - went shopping with daughter and gdaughters. Didn't get what we went looking for, so a bit of a wasted day.

06/12/2012 at 19:09

Christine, yes, I'd be travelling with him. Not the whole way as my wife would have something to say about that (!) but probably for two or three weeks. He's running from Perth to Sydney, taking 70 days for the 2600 miles. Last year he ran from Los Angeles to New York, about 3100 miles, so he knows what he's doing. The average daily mileage for Australia will be a little higher than the USA run and the logistics definitely harder, especially in the western part. His support team, two or three people at a time, drive the motorhome which is his base, shop, cook, wash, administer simple first aid etc. I'd hope to run with him a little too.

06/12/2012 at 19:17
aws - after reading your post about your run I was determined to enjoy mine.

Ran 5.5 miles this morning.

Average pace 10:06
10:41
10:12
9:52
9:45
9:57
5:14 (10:17 pace)
06/12/2012 at 21:14

Missed a run today due to being in Oxford for sister-in-law's birthday. Nice day out.

Diana
I've been to only one DEcathlon store and I didn't like it much.
JJ

07/12/2012 at 10:39

good morning

Diana
another good streak goiong there - keep it up!! Running on Xmas day sounds fine until reality intrudes on the day!!
you sounded well wrapped up for your evening run - it ws probably a night when a faster pace would have been beneficial 

Tracey
......................and did you ???? It looked enjoyable

Columba
I think the temperatures need to be a bit lower for all that blood transfer malarky to go on. I do remember reading Rannulph Fiennes autobiog in which he described walking to the South Pole as exercise driven starvation!! At -40C pulling a sled he needed 9000 calories a day for output and to combat cold and could only carry rations enough for 2500/day

JJ
Decathlon came into the thread beacuse I found some cheap (£20.00) merino wool tops in  there and alerted folk to the bargin

Graham
I have found it useful on runs to measure distances to distant landmarks so that I have a better judgement of distance over the ground - it has some surprising, and disheartning, results at first!!

After torrential overnight rain early dawn brought a return of dry, cold conditions so of course paths were well slicked with black ice!!
Same 4 miles as yesterday in 32:35 (8:05m/m) with the same rubbish HR figures - avhr 153 and a max of 195

1m 8:30 
2m 7:50
3m 7:55
4m 8:17 Hipps Hill

OK run - kept pace going quite well

I sent off a complaint to Garmin yesterday  giving comparison details between identical runs in mid November and yesterday and we will see what happens

07/12/2012 at 10:46
TS
No cross post today I have only just got back from my run. More later.
07/12/2012 at 11:01

Rain overnight, but sunny now, so maybe everyone is out.

Graham, yes, I did think I'd try & fir in a short run on Christmas day - as you say, why not?

Good negative split on your run Tracey.

JJ, I haven't been to Decathlon in many years, but in the past got leotards for the girls for gym far cheaper than available in the UK, and also snorkels, mask & flippers which they loved. Will see if there's anything worth having these days. The merino tops certainly sound good value, and of course are recommended by TS. You will probably be interested to hear that a Parkrun at Brockenhurst College is in the advanced planning stage (it was you who went there, wasn't it?)

07/12/2012 at 11:06

Took so long over my post that TS and ceal appeared before I submitted it. I rather like my typo "fir in a short run on Christmas day" - sounds seasonal!

07/12/2012 at 13:12
Diana
On my iPad I keep typing fir instead of for, all the time in fact. But in the context that you have used fir, it sounds just the job.

TS
I would say that you kept your pace going very well. Garmin consider that we are all beginners and it takes a while for them to recognise that 'we' do in fact know what we are taking about. They will ask you to try a contact gel. For me, it made no difference as I knew it wouldn't because I had already, tried that many times.
07/12/2012 at 13:26

Diana
reminds me I haven't been for a run through the Pinewoods for a while - its too far for me if I go that way 

Ceal
I pre empted all that from Garmin  by stating that I had used a Garmin for several years and was well used to wetting, tightening strap, using gels, different clothing etc all of which had no effect on current problem.
By using the link on the Connect site I was also able to give them access to my data

Thanks - I had the Adizeros on and because the soles are so thin there is an extra incentive to keep foot contact to the minimum when the ground is as cold  as it is!!!

07/12/2012 at 13:26
Conditions here this morning were not as bad as those up in the north, however, it was bitterly cold in a different way to yesterday. It had rained her too, temp. was about 2c, the wind making it feel a lot colder than that. The odd frozen puddle, but not too bad. Just brrrrrr.

I made a decision not to run on my trail, I needed a non hilly run. So set off with no plan, except to make the run a negative split one. I wore my ad-wozits, this felt much more pleasant than trail shoes. I had run 8 miles yesterday so didn't expect to get much pace out of my legs, one had to run fastish to keep warm. It was also raining sleety stuff.

I ran for 3.73 miles which is 6k. I did manage the negative split except for the last k but that was mostly a uphill drag. So that is ok.

3.73 miles in 31.26 mins, av pace 8.25 mm. I didn't wear my HRM, I put my shoes on then realised that I didn't have it. CBA to go upstairs, because I would have had to take my shoes off.

Splits
5.40 mins, av pace 9.07 mm
5.28 mins, av pace 8.47 mm
5.21 mins, av pace 8.37 mm
5.09 mins, av pace 8.18 mm
4.49 mins, av pace 7.45 mm
4.56 mins av pace 7.56 mm-----mostly uphill and working hard

I cooled down for another .86 miles making a total for the day of 4.59 miles
Edited: 07/12/2012 at 13:27
07/12/2012 at 13:28
Busbar
Have you had the results of your blood tests yet?
07/12/2012 at 13:31
TS
Well I missed cross posting with you earlier, but made up for it by doing so a couple of mins ago.????
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.