Over 60s training.

127,541 to 127,560 of 132,549 messages
07/12/2012 at 13:32
Those ????? Were a smilie from my iPad. Obviously not comparable.
07/12/2012 at 14:38
TS - I did enjoy my run

I been having a clear out this week and been to charity shop 4 times this week.
07/12/2012 at 16:13

Tracey
well done - making room for more toys???
despite all my trips to a similar destination the amount of stuff left does not seem to have gone down much

Ceal
have to have at least one x post a day. Do you wait to see what I am wearing nowadays? Good pace today despite all your miles yesterday
I ran yesterday in my Supernovas which at least kept my feet warm. Much as I used to like them they are not a patch on the Adizeros for responsiveness - but as I haven't ran any further than 5 miles I don't know how my legs would stand up to longer miles in them.

It is now two years almost to the day since my back went on a Caribbean island and this week is the first time since then that I have not felt any pain
Must find some wood to touch.............................

Edited: 07/12/2012 at 16:14
07/12/2012 at 16:25
TS
Touch quickly. But is it really 2 years, it seems only a few months ago that you were afflicted with your back in sunny places.

We have neighbours coming for dinner this pm. On the menu is sugar cured salmon (home cured), lambs lettuce and rocket served with sun dried tomato parmiers. Followed by Fresh Cornish (St Mawes to be precise) moules mariniere and crusty bread. Desert is treacle tart, salted caramel ice cream (bought), and chocolate brownies.

Any takers?
07/12/2012 at 16:41

.......I'll get my coat!!

Mind tonight I am serving fried salmon marinated in balsamic/honey/soya mix with    stir fried vegetables and noodles with a nice bottle of Vouvray to wash it down - once I get this work finished and go to the shops!!

No time for dessert so I will have to unwrap the Mrs Bell's cheese nice and early to let it warm up..............................

That should ease the back!!!

K2
07/12/2012 at 16:55

I'm letting the side down - cauli chees, bacon, spuds, another veg, followed by chocolate cake.

Gym this morning - RS treadmill stuff followed by upper body weights.Walking to and from work tomorrow.

07/12/2012 at 17:12
K2
Good work. Nothing wrong with your dinner.

TS
Sounds good.
07/12/2012 at 20:06

Ceal--Yes the blood test was A1 ok which is good,but i am suffering a nasty cough  and cold at the moment so no running,Have to leave it to you guys(sorry for the slang)as you are all going so well.

07/12/2012 at 20:51

Graham - I am very impressed by your forthcoming venture to Australia, and still more impressed by the person you are supporting (rungeordierun?) who will be running across it. What will he do if he meets a poisonous snake, which I understand can happen in Australia? (well, I suppose it can happen here, but not very likely. And not very poisonous)..

Can't decide whose house to go to for dinner, they all sound so good!

Diana - well done on your "streak". I don't think I can manage that; felt really tired today; put it down to having run 2 days in succession, which I don't usually do.

TS - 9,000 calories needed in Antarctica - I remember reading that the calorie needs of Arctic / Antarctic explorers are so great that they can eat a half-pound block of margarine at a sitting.

08/12/2012 at 06:45
Bernard got a VLM club place last night ))
aws
08/12/2012 at 08:03

Good morning

6.04M; 1:23:49.2; 13:53/M; 5°C

Nice enjoyable run, free from the need to keep checking the g. Obviously there were some 14s in there but we don't talk about pace so it's of no consequence.

al

08/12/2012 at 08:05
Tracey
Oooo eeeerrrr. I presume that is what Bernard wanted!!!!!!

Busbar
Good news re blood test. There is a nasty virus going round which seems to feature a persistent cough.

Out today.
08/12/2012 at 08:37
Ceal - he did ask me to put his rejection slip in the club ballot
08/12/2012 at 13:18

A lot of posh nosh being eaten, what happened to the good old Brit fry up, complete with black pudding?

Busbar,
Good news for you, but it does sound like the marathon effort compromised your immune system. It is time to indulge yourself until you are back to full strength.

Graham,
I hope you get on to the team, it would be such an adventure, especially for a man of your years, a great example for the younger generation.

Columba,
I have run in the cold for many years and have found that runs that are less than 10 miles really do not cost you much more than in normal temperatures. It just takes a little while to adapt, that is why I find the temperature swings so distressing.
Long runs do drain you, I suspect it is because your clothes do eventually get saturated and you start to lose heat faster.

ceal,
Frost covered and or frozen clothes are the norm here. I can recall times when my hair has been frozen to my hat, of course, that was when I had hair. When I was heavy into xc skiing I would wear a beard during the winter to protect my skin. It would always be a mass of ice by the time I had finished my ski. 

My running is going well, but a short week this week, only 5 days, as we are off to a big log built hotel for the weekend. all very romantic and pretty as it is by the river with lots of trees and lovely walking trails.
I still managed 45k so not a bad week. My heels are behaving although I still have to put up with some discomfort while I run.

Mick 

08/12/2012 at 14:42

busbar, pleased your blood tests were fine. I hope you feel a bit more your old self before too long.

So, I'm on the support team for Mark Allison's charity run across Australia! I'm the first to be taken on and Mark had some nice things to say about me on Twitter. Exciting, eh? It's a responsibility so there's a wee bit of apprehension mixed in there too but I'm so looking forward to it.

Looks like I could well be covering the first two weeks from Perth, which means I'll either have my 65th birthday en route or just after arrival. The plan is to fly to Sydney after the support period and join Margaret for a couple of weeks holiday.

Mark and I talked for about an hour yesterday and we seemed to get on well. He welcomed the fact that I'd like to run with him in Australia as much as possible, so that's good. I know he was meeting another applicant after me and it looks like he or she is joining the team as well. He'd made a short-list of 8 from 22 people who applied.

The good news is that, at least for the time being, almost all the snow and ice has disappeared round here and I took the chance this morning to do the HM route I had to abandon last Saturday. Feeling good, I pressed on a little bit without going mad and did the 13.1 miles in 1:48:45, average pace 8:16. Quite pleased with that as the old legs still had a bit in them for the last couple of miles.

08/12/2012 at 15:18
Graham
A---MAZING.

I am thrilled for you, in fact I almost have a lump in my throat for you.

Remind me when the journey commences.
08/12/2012 at 16:03

ceal, Oct 16th Perth, Dec 24th Sydney.

08/12/2012 at 18:00

Evening all
Ran 4.7 road miles yesterday with a couple of miles at sub-10 minute pace then did 4.1 miles off road today. A streak!

Christmas lunch tomorrow at younger son's place in Oxford. It's the only date between now and mid-Jan when we can get the whole family togther. We will be at home on Christmas day and will have to see who turns up for lunch. All very unusual!

TS
You can't be too upset with sub-8 miles in there.

Ceal
Can I have the treacle tart?

Tracey
Give Bernard my good luck wishes. Keep us posted on his training.

Busbar
Encouraging news from the blood test. It suggests that you've been suffering from nothing more than marathon knackeredness.

Graham
Your run would be a very good race time for most people.
Hope you get your Australia place and that you can keep us posted from time to time on progress.
JJ

08/12/2012 at 18:19

JJ, I do definitely have a place. When I'm in Australia it should be quite easy to follow our progress as Mark A plans to write quite a detailed blog with photos to his website as he did in America.

08/12/2012 at 18:32
Graham
How are you going to restrain yourself for nearly a whole year. It will be interesting to follow Mark's progress. You's too of course!

JJ
This streak lark could become a habit!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.