Over 60s training.

127,561 to 127,580 of 133,535 messages
K2
08/12/2012 at 18:42

All good news on here!
Congrats to Bernard and Graham - very exciting for both, in different ways. I imagine Graham must feel as I did when I got the US trip.

busbar - good news about your blood tests.

feeling the effects of treadmill and gymwork today - all good, though.

08/12/2012 at 19:26

Graham-Brilliant news for you and a tremendous training run.

08/12/2012 at 21:01
Sorry not been around for a while but for the last month we have had a battle with the County Council about funding Liz's care, initially started off with them withdrawing all funding from 12/11. After lots of discussions, submitting paperwork, arguments and corrections to their calculations the appeal panel on Thursday found in Liz's favour. The amount of stress it caused was immense, the process has got to be wrong when funding is stopped before the appeal process is complete. At least it's been resolved before Christmas, we had no idea how I could provide all the care Liz needs.
08/12/2012 at 21:09
After only about 3 runs in a month I did run the Gosport Half at start of November.

My plan was to run 8.30/8.45 pace for a 1.51 - 1.57 half. You know what they say about plans!!

You can guess what comes next, started off far too fast and averaged 8.07 for 8 miles, 8.30 for mile 9 , managed 1.22 for 10 miles but died in the last 4 miles to finish in 1.51.25.

Good from the point of view of being at the faster end of my target range but a painful way to achieve it.

Target now to get some consistent training in for my Spring target race, the Reading Half.

Mike
08/12/2012 at 21:31

Empty
Well done on getting the right result for Liz.
The 1/2m was clearly the first training run towards the Reading half.

Ceal
It's too cold for anyone to notice if I develop a streaking habit.
JJ

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 21:32
K2
08/12/2012 at 22:12

Mike

All very stressful but glad it's all sorted
Good luck with the training.

08/12/2012 at 22:28

Mike, what a hassle and one that shouldn't have happened but at least it worked out OK in the end. You could both have done without it though. Bad luck with the half - I'm sure some more regular training will put that right before Reading.

09/12/2012 at 07:26
Morning all

Empty - I so sorry to hear the stress your local council has put you through. I'm not looking forward to doing Andre's DLA next year.

Graham - What a exciting year 2013 will be for you
09/12/2012 at 13:12

good day

Graham
good news - should be an excllent trip
Just remembr my physio's advice on animal wildlife in  Oz - "if it moves assume it can kill ya"  
Nice amble round 13.1 miles 

Busbar
rundownness - or post exertion viral infection fatigue (I have just made that up but it sounds good!!)  can be very nasty. I recommend lots of real ale to build up the trace elements in the body again

Empty
that whole process is appalling and I can quite understand the stress it caused. Good outcome but the process is so unnecessary 
Your HM looked like a typical case of hope not triumphing over experience and it becomes nasty when the wheels fall off. You still recorded a respectable time despite little training.

Mick6
enjoy your time away - you old romantic you!!
Reminds me that we are off to Sharrow Bay at the end of the week for a couple of days  

JJ
a streak worth perservering with
you may still be surprised by the numbers at Christmas
Tracey
I do hope Bernard is pleased with his lottery success!!!

Columba
Difficult to eat margarine when it's -40C - it's solid!!!!!!

Bright and very windy here this morning. It was going to be the big day when I  stepped up to 6+ miles but after a very long late lunch yesterday - from 2pm to 7:30 comprising an excellent beef suet pudding and several pints of Yorkshire Blonde as starter and dessert at a local pub I was a little late rising and had a date to see g'daughter Abigail as a sheep in the Nativity play at her church at 0930.

so 5.2 miles it was again with some gusty wind to contend with

1m 9:21 all uphill and against the wind
2m 7:27 level or part downhill with the wind - wheeeeeeeeeeee!!
3m 7:41
4m 7:56 back into the wind
5m 8:20 Hipps Hill and into the wind
.2m 0:58

for a total of 41:42 and av pace 8:20m/m. Rubbish HR data again av150bpm and a max of 212 says it all.

Nativity was very good and Abigail ( of course) was excellent remembering all her words and singing at the top of her voice . She has a very good singing voice for one so young - one trait she did not inherit from me

09/12/2012 at 14:32
TS it was certainly a run based on hope .................. no hope! Well at that pace anyway.

No run today, flu jab yesterday and not feeling brilliant not sure if linked or just relief.

Graham exciting time for you, and also for Bernard Tracey.

Tracey this new PEP? thing in place of DLA worries me, DLA applications are bad enough but it sounds like we will need to go through even more hoops.

Mike T
09/12/2012 at 15:19
Empty - Andre last DLA lasted 3 years. He get high rate care and low rate mobility. In my favour he is one of the lucky kids that he gets pick up from home and taken to school by bus.
09/12/2012 at 16:51

Tracey - how do the unlucky kids get to school?

Local councils are in turn getting leaned on by central government. It's stressful for everyone including the carers. A friend of mine does "caring", and says her time schedule sometimes allows her only 20 minutes between one call and the next, - which includes travel. No wonder the people being cared for (who mostly live alone) feel they're being rushed. 

09/12/2012 at 16:58

Congratulations to Bernard on his VLM place, to Graham on 13.1 miles in an hour 48 (a time I can only dream of), and to JJ on a 2-day streak. 

I've had a good weekend for eating. Yesterday, a long drive to meet Youngest Daughter and a number of others for a very upmarket meal in a posh restaurant, - upmarket and very prettily served (my fish pie came in its own little ramekin, and my dessert on a slate), and today the church choir had Sunday roast in a local pub, - not very upmarket but loads of it and very good, so quite made up for yesterday's cuisine mince

When I woke this morning, behold there was no frost, so I ran 4 and a bit miles before breakfast. 

09/12/2012 at 17:48
Columba - if they live less than a mile you have to take to school. This my not be far but is hard, stressful and take a long time for some parents. Others have to take their kids to pick up points, there is on near me but it the other side of a main road and in a side turning. The parents have to wait out in the cold until the bus arrives in a 10 minute time slot. Andre is picked up at 7:55 and the bus arrives at first pickup point at 8am. Thou some time it arrives earlier at my house. If parents miss the time to pick up their child they will have to pick him/her up for their allotted children's centre, in my case next to Andre's school.

I've had parent trying to get their kid off the bus outside my house. This is not allowed. They can only put them on and off at their allotted pickup point.
10/12/2012 at 07:28
Good morning,

Busbar
I hope good health returns ASAP. Then you will be able to start your London mara training!!!!!!

Empty
With at a trial you and Liz have had to endure. I am so pleased that after all your patience and frustration that all came good in the end. But-------------------------- you should not have had to go through what you did.

Half mara result was the faster end of your target even though hope started you off too fast, making, I would imagine, the last few miles rather painful. There was no mention of your knee, so I presume that all in well in that part of your body.

Graham
Would now be a good time to make friends with your HRM. You will be running in higher temps in Australia than you are used to and the read out from your HRM would give you a lot of useful information as to what is going on in your body. Just and idea.

TS
I would appear that the strong wind played a big part in your run yesterday. Sounds like you have every good reason to be a very proud Grandpa yesterday.

I did run yesterday with Stewart. I had no plan except that I wanted to run 6 miles. This I did. I turned the run into a fartlek session. Running fast when and where I felt the urge combined with slower recovery jogs alongside Stewart who is coming to the end of his jet lag. I was back in shorts yesterday the temps being 8c.
10/12/2012 at 07:45
Morning

Ceal - I bet Stewart was wide awake after your run
10/12/2012 at 09:42

good morning

more early birds today than usual

Columba
nice weekend of nosh - 4 miles took care of the cuisine mince  but what about the Sunday grub?

Tracey
NIce to see the " we are only obeying orders" jobsworths also applies to  such things 

Ceal
6 miles - that should sort out jetlag - but I don't know where you got your warm temperatures from!!

Very early run this morning  - the very tiniest sliver of moon was shining brightly in a clear, dark sky - so yes it was chilly out but dry.

Usual 5K run in 25:48 (8:17m/m) and now usual rubbish HRM data

1m 8:06 
2m 8:30
3m 8:17
.1m 0:55

Couldn't really raise any pace - this is the slowest I have run this route since coming back - the beef suet pud must still be handicapping me!!!

Oh - another piece of carp data from Garmin - I have noticed that the calorie count is way off - according to Garmin I consumed 23 calories/mile today despite a supposed avHR of 156. On that basis I could just about run across Australia myself without needing to eat!!!!

10/12/2012 at 11:24

TS
Beef suet pud must be a handicap but a very pleasant one. It could just have been the cold conditions that made you a little slower this morning .

It was cold again today here, yesteray's temp was just a temporary one! I ran down the trail again. I could have done with a flat run, no chance of that!

I only ran for 4.4 miles, I felt tired, the fartlek run yesterday must have been more challenging than I remember. An easy pace of 9.23 mm, av HR 115. The whole run felt a bit of a struggle. I found the wind rather keen and felt as if I was undressed when I stepped out of the house, except for my hands which were covered in gloves which I had put on the radiator for a few mins. I must remember to do that again. my warm hands lasted for 10 mins or so, then they got cold again.

Half way through my run, just after the half way mark I came face to face with a lady (LV45) I met at the last LFOM race She doesn't regularly do the race but recognised me. I didn't her. She took part in  our local 10k here in Sept and remembers seeing me on the start line. We had a long chat and both got cold! She is training for a marathon, her pb is 2:50 hrs. she lives the other end of the trail to myself. She asked for my email address, she remembered it because she has just emailed me.    

Edited: 10/12/2012 at 11:25
10/12/2012 at 12:18
I decided to have a rest day from shredding as I've got club run tomorrow evening and my own run on Thursday.
10/12/2012 at 17:29

Ran 4.5 road miles on an uninteresting route. Splits were:
9;58 warming up and steep uphill
9:39  steep uphill
9:37  steep uphil
9:40  steep uphill
.5m  45 secs  steep downhill.
 I'm being economical with the truth. It's actually what it felt like.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.