Over 60s training.

127,601 to 127,620 of 134,405 messages
11/12/2012 at 17:42
TS not on my screen it's not"
11/12/2012 at 17:43
I like the smiley though
11/12/2012 at 17:44
Oh an old toot, sorry I didn't look at the top of the page. I have been bit busy today and will pay better homage to posts tomorrow.
11/12/2012 at 17:45
Read toot as topt!
11/12/2012 at 19:04

Norunday.
MrsJJ's book club meets here this evening. I'm banished to another room.
Maybe I should go to bed at 8 pm?

Tracey
Successive long distance races wrecks the immune system so that could be the reason for colds.

Mick
I notice that pollution takes 7 -  8 months off someone's life but it doesn't mention how many years the running adds to life expectancy.

TS
We are as one on the greek wine. Carbon tetrachloride tastes better and it's cheaper (I'm told).
They say it's all downhill as we age. I reckon it feels more like all uphill.
JJ

Edited: 11/12/2012 at 19:06
11/12/2012 at 22:33
Ran 7.01 miles in 1:12:48 at club tonight
11/12/2012 at 22:43

Lol at JJ's last remark!

I got back in plenty of time for the club run. I'm only seeing one student per visit to Aberystwyth now, so if that is scheduled for the morning I'm finished by early afternoon. It was -5 when I set off this morning, and even though the sky was clear and the sun shining in Aber, it was still -1 by midday. Bit of fog on the way home. Club run was good, but unusual, - there were concerns about possible icy patches, so instead of running round town we ran to the car park at County Hall (a good big one, well gritted and by the time we got there almost empty of cars) where we did all sorts of things no-one's made me do since I left school, - besides running, - hopping, skipping, jumping backwards and forwards across one of the white lines, - got warm, anyway. But my garmin wouldn't switch on - and still won't.

11/12/2012 at 22:46

K2 - plate smashing? Really? Accidental or by design? 

Mick6 - rather depressing article for those who live in cities. London has plenty of parks and lots of runners running in them. Also along by the Thames, which must be less polluted by traffic fumes than the roads are.

12/12/2012 at 08:20

Good Morning,

Graham
I wonder how your session went last pm. it was VERY cold overnight here and still is so I can't imagine that there wasn't ice on your pavements last evening. Although I do know the salt from the sea could have prevented the ice.

Impey
I had wondered, often, where you were. Oh dear another lurgy, do you think it was as a result of your flu jab? Anyway you are back in the land of the living again and running. 

Tracey
some good work from you last evening, you are getting back to fitness again.

Columba
I love sessions similar to that you did last evening. I wouldn't be surprised if you feel the effects of it for a couple of days.

K2
A good plate smash can be very cathartic. I guess you are doing more treddie stuff today.

TS
Trust you had a good hash and pie last night, or was it something different? Have an excellent weekend away. Grub and all.

JJ
I made a note of what I was going to post to you, but I can't read my own writing. So no post!!!

I didn't run yesterday, I should today, but need to run early because I am out later their morning. Not sure it is suitable to run early, loads of ice etc and verrrrrrrry brrrrrrrr.

I have a 5 miler on Sunday, off road. Conditions are going to change from minus temps and no wind to warmer wet weather with gale force winds. The race was meant to be a fun run with no emphasis on my time. But gale force winds don't spell fun to me, especially if it is raining at the same time. Therefore, I might decide not to do it!

aws
12/12/2012 at 09:44

Good morning

It's a bit brrrrr today so I don't mind it being nrd.

JJ - If you're drinking CCl4 at least you know your innards are clean

al

12/12/2012 at 10:38

Well I decided to bite the bullet and not be a wimp and to go running. Again that feeling of having nothing on when I first went outside. I was wearing a thin pair of 3/4 legs and 2 thin long sleeved merino wool tops (usually I only wear 1 layer of short and 1 layer of long). I was plenty warm enough once I started to run, in fact after 30 mins I was almost too warm. however, my hands are a different matter altogether. They were FREEZING cold and painful too and ddidn't get warm until after 30 mins of running. Not sure what I can do about that.

I wore my contraptions with spikes which I fit over my shoes. I thought it a good idea to give them a try before there is a lot of ice. I felt very secure, and in fact they made running on the stony trail easier, especially downhill. There was not a lot of ice about but the ground was rock hard. I experienced a few flurries of something as I was running.

I ran easy for 40.19 mins, 4.36 miles, av pace 9.15mm. HRM didn't register very well, due to no sweat for ages, in fact for 30 mins!  

Now off to the hairdressers.   

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 10:39
12/12/2012 at 11:44

good morning

Columba
good use of car park - funny how council spaces are always well kept in bad weather!

JJ
you could always have joined them - or served drinks!!!

Tracey
very good going - nice run

Ceal
try two pairs of gloves  - the thin insulite type on first and then some thicker thermal ones on top.
I bought a very cheap  pair of the latter in Decathlon - £1 - and they are very effective but when it was very cold here a couple of years ago -20C that was all I needed. Double layers are always better at trapping heat 
Good run with your contraptions this morning in the cold!!

Last night  was bitterly cold but a lovely evening for running - clear and crisp with a very bright starry backcloth. Had to keep the pace up to ward off the chill even though black ice was forming as we went along. Knees are a bit stiff this morning from the extra effort to lock them in place!!
4.2 miles done and then back to the pub for hot Yorkshire puds, chips and sandwiches  - and possibly the nicest pub sandwiches for a long time - home cooked ham, turkey and  chunky cheese - which replaced a few calories.

Talking of calories - menu for Sharrow Bay dinner tomorrow

Canapés

Braised Pig’s Cheek, Sharrow Black Pudding, Potato & Apple Pancake

and Cider & Sage Sauce

Terrine of Mackerel with Beetroot Salsa and Horseradish Beignet

Timbale of Pheasant Casserole on savoury Cabbage with Port Sauce

Mango  Sorbet

Fillet of Local Matterdale Venison, braised Sherry Lentils, Tortellini of

Sweet Potato & Chestnut, Wild Mushrooms, roasted Shallots

and Madeira & Truffle Sauce

Cinder Toffee Parfait with Clementines in Grand Marnier

Tea, Coffee and Petit Fours 

That should replace a few more calories!!!
The wines that accompany each course will be part of a competition in which one has to decide which each one is from a description given by the two sommeliers at the hotel. Good fun and a bottle of champagne as a prize so I will be trying to extend my winning streak

12/12/2012 at 11:45

Morning all

Ceal-Very cold out there and full marks for giving it a go.Beginning to think hrm are a waste of time,they just dont seem to work properly.

Impey-Glad you are feeling better,that sounded a real bad cold

Graham-Not sure if it has been mentioned before but what sort of pace will the chap be running in australia.?

TS-Real ale sounds good to me,but i havent had a drink now for about 2months,would probadly buckle on 2pints.

My cold seems to be getting better,hope to run tomorrow night.  

12/12/2012 at 12:38

busbar, he'll be averaging 41 miles a day in Australia (can you imagine?!). Based on his blog from his USA run I'd imagine he'll be running steadily at around 10:30 pace. In America his daily average was slightly less but he didn't have any rest days as such. His Australia schedule has a rest day built in every 10 days or so but I'd guessthey could be eaten into if he gets behind schedule for any reason.

I didn't do the handicap race last night. I've heard conditions weren't too bad but that there were some icy patches around, so I did the right thing.

Off soon to the Town Moor to do some interval training. Will play it by ear but may well do longer legs than usual, around the half-mile mark. It's thawed a little anyway but to be on the safe side I know where there's a path likely to be OK underfoot as it's hardcore rather than smooth tarmac.

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 12:39
12/12/2012 at 13:57

Busbar
good to see you venturing back out - gan canny!!!

Graham
yes it was a bit slippy underfoot last night 
Should be good double sessions down under - 20 miles before breakfast and 20 miles after tea!!!

Just filed some documents on the laptop and, as I use a date order for them, noticed today was 12.12.12. so I couldn't get the days/months/year in the wrong order

12/12/2012 at 14:02

Good Morning,
-10c here at the moment but it is very bright and sunny with no wind. This is very pleasant weather to run in as the pavements will have been cleared and salted and by now will be completely dry.

Graham,
41 miles a day, wow. It will be interesting to hear what he eats and drinks and to see if he takes any supplements.
I am not keen on racing in icy conditions, just too easy to slip when you are pushing hard. Good decision.

TS,
I have a huge amount of experience running in cold weather and yes multi-layers are much superior than just a thick layer. With the hands I would recommend the top layer be a wind proof mitt. You should also make sure that the wrist are completely airtight, no gaps and no naked skin. I wear my garmin on the outside of my sleeve.

ceal,
Good idea to try out your cleats first as they do take a bit of getting use to when you wear them on ice. Depending on the manufacturer they may be good for back slip but poor on slide slip or the other way around so some care is still needed.

An easy 5 miler planned for today, it will be another slow run as I am still getting use to my increased mileage and the cold weather.

I read an article on the 2011 UK census today and it left me sad. It is obvious that my England no longer exists and that the UK has morphed into something else, especially in the last 10 years. I don't think I belong there anymore, I guess I will have to start drinking tasteless beer and watching hockey.

aws
12/12/2012 at 17:17

Ceal - I find as an ad hoc solution a pair of old socks over my running gloves usually does the trick. That has the advantage of all the fingers being in the same compartment so they can warm each other better.

al

12/12/2012 at 17:37

5.1 miles done off road on frozen, rutted surfaces. It throws the body weight in all directions which makes it tough going. Nice running weather conditions though and worked up a bit of a sweat.

Mick
Major changes have taken place in big cities. Elsewhere the changes have been modest, slow and evolutionary.  Does your Canada of 50 years ago still exist?

TS
Great tip-off about the date. I've been "collecting" those since I wrote 6/6/66 at work.
Excellent dinner menu. There must be a French 2009 red in there somewhere.

Busbar
2 pints is all I need nowadays.

Ceal
Light gloves with fngerless mitts on top seem to work OK. You can push buttons too.
JJ

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 17:39
12/12/2012 at 17:45

Dentist this morning. No work needed. Great result.
JJ

12/12/2012 at 18:59

18 pics of the garden  here
Start at the sign "21A". Finish at the doodle pic.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.