Over 60s training.

127,621 to 127,640 of 133,707 messages
12/12/2012 at 19:23

Busbar,

Seems you had a bad lurgy/cold too,  glad you also are getting over it and back into your running.     I have often had trouble with hrms,  they don't agree with me for some reason !

Ceal,
Good run.  It takes me 2 or 3 miles to get warmed up in this very cold air but after that I feel pretty well insulated.  Mind you, I wear the whole caboodle when it's so brrrrr.
Gloves are the answer, otherwise it takes too long for hands to feel right. 
Don't know if our flu jab had owt to do with the colds but it felt as though we both had flu, most reluctant to get out of bed thats how poorly we felt. But...its all gone now, thank the lord.

TS,
Nice rewarding pub grub after your run ! The Sharrow Bay dinner menu looks most appealing.  You still mention Hipps Hill now and again, and I spotted Hippo(Ruth) in the Hallam 5k parkrun results a few weeks back.  I was in same race but didn't know she was there and of course with 300 plus peeps it would have been hard to find her
Our last trip down to London resulted in us both getting the vomiting bug, good job we were at home when it started!

Graham,
I gather you will be going to Australia soon,  that will be exciting,  When do you go?
Quite wise to avoid doing that Handicap run if it looked like there would be ice, especially in evening darkness.

Columba,
Sorry, but I haven't seen any of your posts, I keep seeing others commenting but on what?   Will have to find out why forum is missing you out

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 19:24
12/12/2012 at 19:32

Colder than Monday thats for sure.  So I wore several top layers including the concurve jacket, wooly hat, Ruffnet, fleecelined leather gloves, leggings(is that now meggings, for men?).     Felt almost as warm as toast by mile 3,  glad I was togged up well.
Times a little faster than Monday.

12.18, 11.14,  10.45,  10.15, 10.47.    total  5.2 miles   usual flattish course around the lakes.

So far, the Sheffield area has 3 Parkrun venues for us all to pick from to do 5ks on Saturday mornings.  Belive it or not, we are to have another 2 sites in March 2013.
Rother Valley and Clifton Park(Rotherham).  That'll make it five.  Crikey !!!

12/12/2012 at 21:25

Ceal - you were right, I have been feeling yesterday's session today; aching a bit, and dozed off for a few minutes this afternoon. I cleaned the church this morning, just to add to the fatigue.

JJ - what a lovely garden. It seems to have a lot of different parts to it, - is it very big? And what are those succulent-looking things with big purple flower-like things on tall bare stems? 

And what a pretty Doodle!

Very cold again here today. A few tiny flakes of snow dusting the car early in the day.

Mick, if it's any consolation I often don't feel I belong here either.

Everyone who's been running in icy conditions, you're very brave.

12/12/2012 at 21:40

Columba
Thank you! The house stands in about half an acre total and that's plenty for me. You are right about it being split into differing areas. The plants are a succulent called aeonium arborescens (I think) variety Schwarzkopf. Cuttings from it are very easy and it makes a good feature.
It's not the doodle's best side.

Impey
I think you go to My Forum and People I'm Ignoring or similar.
JJ

aws
13/12/2012 at 08:19

Good morning

5.10M; 1:07:59.8; 13:20/M; -2°C

Still struggling - or not actually. Maybe that's why I'm going slow, but I DON'T CARE. It's doing it that counts.

al

aws
13/12/2012 at 08:26

JJ - I too admire the garden and especially the Schwarzkopf. The doodle has a better side?

al

K2
13/12/2012 at 08:27

Morning!
aws
Good attitude.

yesterday - gym session. Treadmill slightly shorter than Monday's because my legs felt tired and I don't want to undo the work I've already done.
Then work - I'm so lucky! Late on I had a customer who called in on his way home from work. He was Neil Bryant, who did the Trans_Europe Footrace this year - 2600 miles from the tip of Denmark to Gibraltar in 64 days. His shoe guarantee "average weekly mileage" was tricky to calculate! Somwhere betwen 0 and 300 miles. I was telling him about Graham's trip.
Home to a link to a video on YouTube by a friend who does hooping (as in hula). I won't post the link on here without asking first  but her first name is F*licity and she is about my age.
And also got a very positive comment about the work I've been doing on flexibility of upper back.

13/12/2012 at 09:07
Good morning

Thanks everybody for advice on wearing gloves when it is cold. I do wear 2 layers of gloves. Either a cotton or a merino wool thin pair with a Gore pair on top. That doesn't seem to work for me. So I will try a pair of mitts on top of the wool pair. I will start with aws idea of a pair of socks, if that works then I might buy a pair of mitts.

I always used to suffer with cold hands when I used to ski, and that was when wearing expensive ski gloves. But I do remember that mitts worked best.

I also used to windsurf up until Christmas, in fact I used to race. At the end of the race when one went ashore, my fingers would be so painful for quite some considerable time as they stopped being dead like that had when I was out on the water.
13/12/2012 at 09:12
K2
I have googled the name you mentioned but it only came up with a child hooping. But I will try again on my regular pc. You had an interesting visitor at work yesterday.

Impey
Your running break doesn't seem to have done you too much harm.

TS
If you come back from Shallow Bay running slower then you will know why.

JJ
I bet your legs are tired after your rutted icy run yesterday. You are building up your miles well. Lots of colour in your garden this year despite the shocking weather conditions. Doodle is definitely photogenic.
13/12/2012 at 09:14
I, obviously, should have read my last post but one before posting again. Too late to edit now, but hope you will manage to make some sense of my last sentence! 'cause I can't!
Edited: 13/12/2012 at 09:15
13/12/2012 at 10:28

Good morning all,

Columba,

Found out you were under the heading "ignored" in My Forum of the RW,  so immediately I selected "unignore"  and now I can read your posts again !   Can't understand why this happened.   Apparently AWS was also affected. Very odd.

Thanks JJ for reminding me to look in My Forum.

13/12/2012 at 17:10

Aws - I'm sure somebody on this thread (probably Ceal or TS - or maybe JJ) has explained that one can't run so fast when it's cold, and why (more blood needed to keep core muscles warm, so less to spare for taking oxygen to legs? - something like that) so you can expect to get back to the 12s when the weather gets warmer.

Ceal - did you perhaps mean that when you were out on the water your fingers went numb with the cold, and when the feeling came back into them they hurt for a while?

K2 - you meet some interesting people in your line of work. He would need about five pairs of shoes, then, for that run?

JJ - will you be posting a picture of Doodle's Even Better Side?

Ran 7 miles early p.m., - temperature was -1. I kept to gritted roads and pavements. Garmin has died, so I took a stop-watch; I knew the distance cos it's a run I've done many times before - into town, through town, out the other side, up to the point where the footpath ceases to be, then back the same way.

Somebody suggested holding down 3 buttons simultaneously on Garmin, for 30 seconds. Tried this, and it flickered back into life briefly but then died again. All advice gratefully received. It's a Forerunner.

13/12/2012 at 20:03

No running today but did two doodle walks and some garden tidying.
Warmer tomorrow - allegedly.

Impey
The "ignoring" problem seems to happen at random. It's happened for me and I've never input any ignore instructions.

Columba
Doodle is certain that both sides are good. Her self esteem is very high.

Ceal
I didn't take the pics. There was more colour than is shown.
JJ

Edited: 13/12/2012 at 20:03
13/12/2012 at 20:24

Impey, you were asking when my support in Australia was. Some time in the second half of October probably. 

Columba, well done for getting out this morning in sub-zero temperatures. My 305 has died like yours but a reset did the trick luckily. 

13/12/2012 at 20:47

JJ, just looked at your garden photos. What a lot of beautiful and interesting plants you've got. Just lovely. And your lawn's got proper stripes! Not so easy getting those when most of a lawn is moss or weed like mine . Gardening's such a worthwhile thing to do and when the end-results are like yours it must be so satisfying.

Edited: 13/12/2012 at 20:48
13/12/2012 at 21:26

Graham
Thanks. It's my main hobby and as Chairman of the local gardening association I have to maintain some sort of standard.
JJ

13/12/2012 at 23:34
Doodle is so cute
14/12/2012 at 08:23
Good morning all,

It is very blustery here in Brighton where I am today looking after Betsy.

Columba
That is exactly what I wanted today, and would have done so if I hadn't have posted straight afterwards which preventing me from editing the post.
14/12/2012 at 09:24

Ceal - have a great time with Betsy!

Raining here and windy with it. Shan't be running - wasn't going to anyway (still aching after yesterday's 7 cold miles).

14/12/2012 at 10:15
Ceal - Have a lovely day with Betsy. It will be nicer down in Brighton in the summer
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.