Over 60s training.

127,681 to 127,700 of 132,586 messages
19/12/2012 at 06:45
Morning all

I jumped up and down when Bradley Wiggins won SPOTY.

Jess look love in her dress. Ellie is beautiful young lady and made me smile trying to balance in her killer heels.
aws
19/12/2012 at 08:15

Good morning

5.10M; 1:07:43; 13:16/M; 2.5°C

Disaster strikes - PC refuses to read USB connections so G data has to be hand copied and I can't access one of my external hard drives, my camera, or my memory sticks. Oddly enough one ext HDD is still connected.

Good about Brad.

al

K2
19/12/2012 at 08:18

TS
Contact via work number or text. various thread people have that.

19/12/2012 at 11:09

Nzc-You done well to race in that heat,think your time is pretty good also.
Regards marathon its just that it is a 18week plan or else i would start after christmas,

Done my first run of the plan yesterday which was 4miles aerobic pace and 4miles @hm pace.Done the first 4 slow which was fairly undulating and then turned round to run 4miles tempo .Done the 1st mile in exactly 7mins which was way to quick so run the 2nd mile in 7.26 which was still to quick as i should have done 7.50 mileing.But low and behold my garmin just died on me so i have no idea what the last 2miles were.

Drank just 2pints of a beer called redemption last night and cant believe i have a hangover,dont think i will drinking  much over christmas.

Tracey-Good run by you and nice to help a clubmate as well   

19/12/2012 at 11:41
Busbar
That beer had no redeeming factor! You are too fast for your own good. Flipping Garmin!

Tracey
agree with you about Jess's dress and Ellie's too.

Mick6
I think the toe correctors are about a lot more than the spread of one toes. Can you move each toe independently of each other, one is meant to be able to lift a toe without all the other toes joining in! I certainly can't and am considering the toe correctors, I don't use my toes enough when I am running, suffering from rather claw toes which I have had since being a young teenager.

NZC
That was a respectable 3000 time, especially considering the conditions. I don't work hard every run. In fact recently I think I have to done enough, but haven't really felt like it. I do like running fast though.

I can't remember what was on the previous page.
19/12/2012 at 11:44
I ran easy this morning for 44.28 mins, 8.24 k, av pace 5.23 m per k. av HR 128

My Garmin is now downloading and without going to my pc I can't look at the other figures! Stewart is working in the study.
19/12/2012 at 12:22

Ceal and JJ - yes, short fast intervals or any speedwork sounds sensible, rather than resorting to a shuffle. I'm not very good at knowing what I look like, running (poor proprioception, maybe) - sometimes I feel as though I'm doing fine, then catch sight of myself relfected in a window, or just my shadow on the ground in front of me, and think "Oops - not so good". I identify with NZC's "Some race pics are not pretty!" - I looked hopefully at the race pics of the half-mara I did earlier in the year, and rejected them in horror.

Busbar - you're a very fast runner, - maybe that makes you set a high standard for yourself, so you feel all the worse if you don't meet it.

TS - good that the achilles don't hurt. What a nightmare of a car journey!

Mick6 - no changes in Canada outside the big cities - hasn't it become very PC in the last few years, at least in terms of its legislation?

I was interested in that "correct toes" website. I've had both my feet operated on to correct bunions ("seriously malformed" was how my GP characterised my feet when I went to ask him about them) - the op was a great success, according to the podiatrist who did it, and certainly I've had minimal trouble with feet ever since, but I do have lumps of hard skin on the sole of one foot, and curly toes. As for being able to move each toe separately, don't think I've ever been able to do that! Big toe and little toe yes, but the three in the middle are just a clump.

Approx 5 miles with the running club last night, around town looking at "the lights". The day had been sunny and mild, but by 6.00 p.m. temperatures were around freezing, and some of the pavements were slippery so we ran in the roads when we could. I've now officially joined the running club, - and been given a club T-shirt!

19/12/2012 at 12:43
Columba
This is the link to the UK stockists of correct toes www.theemperorsnewshoes.bigcartel.com/product/correcttoes
In case you were interested. As l said to Mick 6 they are not cheap.

Well done on the commitment to join your club. Enjoy. Not pleasant to run on slippy pavements.

TS
I forgot to say, I am very pleased to hear that you have arrived at the end of your Achilles pain.
Edited: 19/12/2012 at 12:44
19/12/2012 at 12:49

Columba-Good that your running with a club,gives you the impetus to go faster with a bit of friendly rivalry.

19/12/2012 at 18:40

Busbar,

Garmin failing but your running  didn't 

Redemption must be really strong then.  2 or 3 pints is normally my limit on draught beer.

Ran earlier this time with heavy rain threatened,  got it out of the way before dinner.

Mix of aerobic and tempo stuff. Dull,cloudy,cold and windy.
12.19,  11.20, 10.45,  9.50, 10.44 and 12.18 pace for the 0.6 of a mile. 
Total 5.6 miles.

Regards the mentions of "shuffle"  I try not to get into that mode.  But when starting out and as part of the warmup I do "baby steps"  just for a short while before getting into a normal stride. 

19/12/2012 at 19:26
I've caught Bernard's cold and sore throat
19/12/2012 at 22:08

Rain this afternoon, more rain tonight which carries on into tomorrow.Two dog walks done plus some cementing. A farmer arrivedwhile I wasn't watching to deliver a trailer  load of well rotted manure (basically sheep s**t). Unfortunately  he unloaded it where it blocked the car in so In had to barrow loads of it uphill and round to the back garden. Pouring with rain so it was a carp job.

Columba
Good move to join the club. You won't regret it (I hope).
No-one expects women to run/race and look as though they about to go out to dinner.

Busbar
Nice to know I'm not the only one who is down to a couple of pints.

K2
I've left my laptop on in case an invitation arrives.

aws
I reckon there could be something wrong with your PC.
JJ

20/12/2012 at 07:24
Good morning,

Rain, rain and more rain. If it continues to fall in the way it is doing right now there will be a fat chance of me going out in it and running.

JJ
Sheep muck sounds excellent but not when it is dumped in the incorrect place!

Impey
You did well to avoid the rain yesterday.

Tracey
Take care.

Last evning we went to a very tasteful carol concert. It was held in the beautiful chapel of Sackville College which is a wonderful example of Jacobean Architecture. It was an almshouse and in fact still it. The warden there during the Victorian times was Dr. John Mason Neale who wrote hymns and carols, the most well known being Good King Wenceslas. The small groups of local singers were superb and three of them were from one family of extremely talented musicians.

The Chapel was small and very pretty, but, it had no heating and as a result it was extremely COLD in there. One could see the breath of the singers at times. One huge mistake made by myself was the fact that I forgot to take my reading glasses with me. The Chapel was lit by candlelight, so the lighting wasn't good, making it infinitely difficult to read the carol sheet. Of course I do know the words of most of the carols but not every word! For instance I didn't seem too remember all the words of Good King W!

The carols were followed by refreshments in one of the larger, very impressive rooms in the College. It was a much longer evening than I had anticipated, having been told the carols would last an hour, well 3 hours later we returned home!

I didn't get warm until about 3.00 this morning when I finally fell asleep.
20/12/2012 at 07:46
More numbers.

Today is 20122012
aws
20/12/2012 at 11:14

Good morning

Ceal - Nice one, twenty twelve, twenty twelve. I suppose I would have noticed sooner or later, but thanks for making it sooner.

Another thing I have to give thanks for is an answer to prayer. You may all laugh but I believe in miracles and the power of prayer, not just for metaphysical stuff but for every day things too. Today's miracle is that the PC is now working OK. You wouldn't believe the amount of time I've spent the last 3 days trying to get to the bottom of the problem, the stuff I've looked up and read on various websites, fixes I've downloaded and tried out that have done absolute sausage to help. And that I went to bed at 3 am this morning after a fruitless evening trying to fathom it out and winding up posting a query on a technical forum to see if they have any answers, then having to leave it all in the same state it was when it all started to go wrong and praying that it would come right. 

This morning I got up late, it was nrd anyway, switched it all on and found the operating light on, on what had been the non-functioning for 3 days plugin HDD. On investigation I found it was working OK, and checking out all the other bits and pieces that hadn't been working, I found that they too had been restored to their proper condition. So I'm thanking God for miracles. Now I have to send a reply to the Tech Forum to tell them the good news too, I don't suppose many of them would have given prayer a thought.

So, hallelujah

al

20/12/2012 at 11:23
Aws
Nice one.

I am not going to get wet runing BUT I am going to get wet ! Very wet walking to and from Sainsbury's.

All being well tomorrow, after months of ear infections and anti biotics, Betsy is first on the surgery list to have ear grommets fitted, tonsils out and adenoids seen to. She just has to stay germ free until tomorrow morning.
20/12/2012 at 12:10

Good early morning,
Well for me anyway. Big snow storm on its way so we have delayed our departure until Saturday.

ceal,
Those old unheated buildings although beautiful seem to be able to suck the heat right out of you no matter what you wear,

JJ,
Now we know the secret of your success.

Columba,
Canada has always been a politically correct place but yes I would say it has got even more PC than when I arrived.

Footing wasn't too bad yesterday so I managed to get outside with a couple of friends and had a pleasant run around town sticking mainly to the roads.
I have got to finish my shopping today , take the dog to the vet and finish my wrapping, so probably not much time for a run. 

20/12/2012 at 12:16

aws,
It sounds like your hard drive was stuck or sticking, a bump or bang can do that. It can get unstuck just as easy. I would run a disk check and seriously think about replacing it while it is still working. You can get a good utility to copy it or get one of the local shops to do it. 

20/12/2012 at 14:39

Walking into some buildings, it can feel colder inside than out. Bird hides in winter always seem to be like that.

Rain, and more rain to come. Don't you just get fed up with it? Only saving grace is that it could be falling as snow and causing even more grief. All you seem to hear about these days are flood warnings - so worrying for those at risk, poor things.

Am doing the Saltwell 10K on Saturday for the first time. Reputably the oldest road race in Britain. Wouldn't be surprised if TS had done it.

20/12/2012 at 16:56

Graham
I hope all will be well for your pending 10k race.

I hope Diana is ok, Hampshire has been badly hit by the floods this  time around.

When will the rain stop falling.   

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.