Over 60s training.

127,721 to 127,740 of 134,161 messages
22/12/2012 at 21:58

NZC,
Hot and muggy, no I'll stick with my snow and cold, well not that cold yet.

This data is easy to extrac,t if you have a footpod. It is manufactured by Garmin and is compatible with the ForeRunner series. It is very reliable and just clips onto your shoe laces. It will also fill in for pace and distance if you cannot get a GPS signal, like when you are on a treadmill. As it is always on my trainers I never think about it so if I run indoors or out I have data.
Garmin Connect will show cadence, I am not sure about stride length. I have written my own software to take either the Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Centre export file(tcx). I just import the run file and then create all sorts of fancy charts at a click of a button, a bit geeky, but I find comparing data a powerful aid in my training.

If you can borrow a footpod from some one else and then email me the exported tcx file, I can produce some pretty charts for you.

Mick

Edited: 22/12/2012 at 22:00
22/12/2012 at 22:11

Mick - no, not going to London by boat! - Not driving, either; will be the train. Some lines affected by flooding, but hopefully not the ones I'll be travelling on.

May or may not keep up while I'm away; in case I don't, have a lovely Christmas all of you.

22/12/2012 at 22:30

Great finish to Strictly. Didn't really mind who won because all three were very, very good.
Went to see 11 week old grandaughter today. She's still enjoying being the star of the show.

Ceal
Excellent news about Betsy. Nice Christmas present for everyone.

Graham
46 mins looks OK to me considering the course and the weather.

Columba
Happy Christmas
JJ

23/12/2012 at 12:45

Hi everyone

not been around much - call of duty of which more later.

Columba
I hope you get through ok - there was a lot of water around as my train meandered its way home on Thursday evening from Bristol - and it's rained alot more since then!!!

MIck6
hope you get away as well and not get snowed in- otherwise you will be producing even more data from your generator powered toys !!!
Not good losing pwer like that but you sound as if you have some back up systems in place. I am just pleased that there has been no northly air flow here otherwise we would have been feet deep in snow with all this rain. Yesterday was the worst here and I am very pleased to be living near the top of a hill!!

Impey 
you are running further than I am with all those 5+ milers 

K2
Hope you weren't standing on the corner waiting for me - did you get me email??

Graham
yes I have run that race in the distant past  when it was on the roads and Saltwell Bank was a killer!!!
A good time for the conditions and a toughie course- ideal preparation for Oz - not!!!

Ceal
sorry to hear about Betsy but that is a good age to have it all done - they recover so much quicker. Matilda had a similar op about 12 months ago and she was soon recovered. 
Nice pacy runnning going on!! 

NZC
that was a good 3000m time in hot conditions which always seem worse on a track anyway - the running surface always seems to radiate the heat back up !!

Pammie
I imagine it is fairly hectic at work just now!! 

I had a very successful trip away and used the long journey time on the train home productively to finish reports and recommendations. The project is a complex one involving the refurbishment and redevelopment of a retail park around tenants who need to be kept trading and I had spent a lot of time negotiating with each to ensure that all their critical dates were met and incorporating them into a detailed programme.
so I was pertty pleased with myself on Friday morning as I finalised things. Then right on 1200  one of the tenants, backed (or insitigated!!) by their solicitors and agents, decided that their position on the critical path was too good an opportunity to let pass without trying to extort a huge sum of money - nearly £1/4 million - or they wanted to be moved from the position in the programme allocated to them!! Oh and they needed a response by close of business that day figuring no doubt that everyone would be out at pre Christmas drinks, lunches etc

Client was in despair so I donned my Superman cape,  revised the programme, agreed some very minor costs with the contractor for the changes, redrafted the contract conditions, drew a deep breath and....................sat back until almost 5pm whereupon I issued the revised programme to the objecting tenant asking them to come back with any comments before close of business - oh and to say that a change back to the original would now involve large additional costs which would be charged against him. Got the b*stards!!!!!!

After that I had to prepare the awards for the hash Xmas party that evening. These  very prestigious awards, known as the Golden Balls, which I had instigated last year, involve writing H4 Xmas 2012 on 30 gold tree decoration balls and then thinking of something to say about each. Categories included 

• best excuse for not attending a run 
  • weakest excuse for not running on a rainy night
  •  best impersonation of a police officer
  • best window shopper
  • choir of the year

and so on so you can see that athletic prowess did not feature too highly 

Edited: 23/12/2012 at 12:48
23/12/2012 at 12:54

Of course each award was accompanied by the compulsory half pint of beer down, down anda fter an excellent meal it all went off pretty well.
next day was not so good though!!

I had hardly run for he last two weeks so this morning was an effort probably always goin got be hard but a howling gale and lashing rain did not help. Clad in CCJ I could ignore most of hte elements apart from the sheer strength of the wind which threatened to create waves on the flood waters in parts of town

4 miles done in 34:28 with usual rubbish HR data - reminds me Garmin have not responded as yet.

1m 8:49
2m 7:56
3m 8:31
4m 9:12 Hipps Hill and into full full force of the wind

awful!!! 

K2
23/12/2012 at 16:43

TS
Didn't get your email until after the event and after being arrested for loitering on the corner.

;-)

aws
24/12/2012 at 07:30

Good morning

5.08M; 1:05:33.5; 12:54/M; 8°C

A bit drizzly some of the time; definitely not full out rain like some folks are getting or I wouldn't have gone out.

al

24/12/2012 at 11:58

Good Morning all,

Last run before Christmas......mile times
  9.56,fartlek
  9.56,fartlek
11.23 fartlek walk/trot w/down
Total 5.3 miles

Wishing you all a very happy and healthy Christmas

K2
24/12/2012 at 17:01

Best Christmas wishes to everyone!

xxx

24/12/2012 at 18:14

First things first and the first thing is to wish everyone the sort of Christmas that would be ideal for you. Hope you all have a great time.

MrsJJ and me will be in London for Christmas Day and then off to Essex on Boxing day so not much opporunity for posting anything.

TS
Smart move by the retailer but nicely thwarted.

Impey
Quite a nice run there. Sub-10s look very good.
JJ

24/12/2012 at 18:48
I have read all posts but have no time to respond.

However, I wanted to wish everybody a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS. X X X
Edited: 24/12/2012 at 18:56
24/12/2012 at 18:56

Happy Christmas to everyone .

24/12/2012 at 19:44

Merry Christmas to everyone. We have a lot and I mean a lot of snow.

TS,
It seems that you are still enjoying your work, long may it last?

An easy 5k for me todoy, running on packed snow, wearing my YakTraks. Stride length much shorter than usual.

24/12/2012 at 19:58
Merry Christmas!  all
24/12/2012 at 21:37

evening all

Mick6
if you say a lot of snow I dread to think how much that is!!!

All the family descend tomorrow - I have been building table football, prams, doll's houses and other exciting things...........................

Happy Christmas everyone - peace and joy 

.and good running

25/12/2012 at 23:49
Hope everyone has a had a lovely Christmas Day.

Last 2 weeks been poorly with and then recovering from a flu like bug, must have looked poorly as Liz told her carer it wasn't man flu. Just recovered in time to get Xmas dinner purchased and cooked, we had Hannah's company for dinner after she had finished work.

Hoping to try my first post illness run tomorrow with my new Garmin 910, a pressie from Liz. Is this a hint that I've been in too much

Mike T
aws
26/12/2012 at 08:26

Good morning

5.08M; 1:06:22.6; 13:04/M; 4°C

I trust everyone enjoyed a good Christmas celebration and Angela and I wish you all every blessing.

al

aws
26/12/2012 at 08:27

Hello, something's afoot...

aws
26/12/2012 at 08:28
http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/79486/gallery/99050.jpg?width=350

Waterlilies

one of my best, I think

Edited: 26/12/2012 at 09:14
26/12/2012 at 11:22

Hello - hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. We were very busy beforehand, trying to get the conservatory finished, which we did enouigh to use it for our pre-Christmas party. The skirtings still need to be fitted. We are very pleased with it.

I've also been battling with a cold for a good week. Luckily it didn't seem too bad yesterday, but last night I was awake about 10 times, unable to breathe through my nose. It has meant that I've missed the Boxing Day club run, which is a shame, but I only have 8 miles to do to get to my 1000 for the year, so should make that before the New Year.

I received two lovely merino tops for Christmas! A deep pink one from my daughter, and a lovely purple one from my husband, so I really want to get out and christen them.

Glad that Betsy had her op, and that it seems to have gone well, ceal.

Well done on your 1000 miles of cycling Pammie.

I love those waterlilies, aws.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.