Over 60s training.

127,761 to 127,780 of 133,709 messages
29/12/2012 at 21:20

Ceal-Yes the football results are good,hope everyone had a good christmas.
Not done any running as a couple of family members being diagnosed with cancer,so quite a trumatic time.Cant see me training for the marathon right now.

T/S-Oh when i think back how many races were run with hangovers and decent times to boot the mind boggles,those were the days.

Graham- Well done,you are going great guns at the moment keep it going.Will probadly be going to australia next christmas to see my son etc.What are your dates for your adventure i oz as i could run the leg from the top of the steps at sydney opera house to the bottom

29/12/2012 at 22:02

Cold is disappearing steadily but still some green gunk around. Will start some serious training on 1st. January.

700 - 800 mile range seems to be about the standard for the year with one or two exceptions. That's not a very high weekly average.

Columba
Nice Christmas! I came past Wandsworth Common on Christmas Day but didn't see you.
Did you know that Clapham Common is not far up the road. It's much bigger with greater scope for running without repeating the same circuit too much.

Ceal
Well done on yet another LFOTM trophy. Great age grading too.
Doesn't look as though the extra lard has slowed you down very much.

Busbar
Another good one today for Spurs. They're still hanging in there.
JJ

29/12/2012 at 22:09

Question.
If I start training by doing a one mile warm up then run as far as possible on local roads at exactly 9 minute miling, even if it's less than a mille to start with,  then warm down what is the longer term effect going to be on my pace and distance running assuming I run similarly on 3 or 4 days a week.
JJ

29/12/2012 at 22:13

Hello all,
More snow here, we had another major dump and it is snowing right now.

ceal,
Well done on retaining your title, was there anyone near you?
A very nice workout too.
Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try on my next 5k which will not be for a couple of months. I seem to be okay when doing a training run, it only falls apart in a race.
We did managed to get stocked up on food for Christmas and got the dogs back from the kennels. It was much quieter than expected but still enjoyable. It was the right decision to cancelled as another storm hit when we were due to return.

Graham,
That is an impressive time in such conditions, I think that sub 20 may well be achieved in 2013.

Busbar,
Scary news I hope things work out for all.

My heels are steadily improving and I can feel myself getting stronger and more confident, so lots of good vibes for 2013.
I managed 1324 miles this year, down a bit from where I would like to be but considering my problems I will take it. My target is 1600 which is what I hope to do in 2013.

I have had a couple more treadmill runs but today we went long outside, 18.3k along the canal path which is well ploughed and salted but I still needed my Yaktraks. One of my friends was seriously hung over and with temperatures in the -14c range, snowing and snow under foot, he did not do too well. 

29/12/2012 at 22:17
Johnny J wrote (see)

Question.
If I start training by doing a one mile warm up then run as far as possible on local roads at exactly 9 minute miling, even if it's less than a mille to start with,  then warm down what is the longer term effect going to be on my pace and distance running assuming I run similarly on 3 or 4 days a week.
JJ

I am not a great fan of same pace running. I think you would get more from your time by mixing it up a bit, however you do need to rebuild your base and the secret there is consistency.

Mick

30/12/2012 at 09:02
Good morning,

Busbar
That is indeed very unfortunate news. Of course I don't know the circumstances and it is a very personal decision as to wether you do London marathon or to. But a thought to consider before completely making up your mind, could you not run the marathon (perhaps for charity) because of the horrible news.

JJ
I am not sure what is the correct answer to your question. I think it could be a good idea, as running slowly to get back a base becomes a habit and is not good for ones running technique. I think it depends on what you want from your running. If it is racing, then what is the maximum distance you want to race? I am in favour of running 1 min fast (faster than 9 min milling) then 2 mins fast walk for say 24 mins after a slow warm up. Do this for about 2 weeks then increase the the 24 mins or so to 35 mins. Another thought would be to do fartlek, and for you, I think this would be the best way to proceed. That way you are not practising running slower. However which ever way you proceed, I think, once you have got back into your running then 1 run a week should perhaps be run slowly and for 5 or 6 miles, (1hr'ish). As Mick6 has said consistency should be the name of the game whatever way you decide to proceed with your training. Your base could be built up at a later date when you have established a pace which is more in line with the speed at which you would like to run.

I do think that when one has a number of years mileage under ones belt that the body soon remembers and that one doesn't need such a big base as in the past in order to proceed forward, I think this is especially the case when one reaches 70 yrs. John B who of course has been running for years and years, most certainly doesn't build up a base after an injury, he goes straight back into running fast. Not that I recommend that approach for you. At our age, we tire more quickly, need more recovery, so my mindset tells me to put quality into my runs rather than too much quantity. But we are experimenting with different ideas, and finding what suits 'us'.

Mick6
Well done indeed for your mileage this year, I don't think any other of us are any where near that total. I think considering your heel problems that you have done very well. We have been getting rain here in the uk instead of your snow. If the rain here had fallen as snow we would be in trouble, big time.

The person who came 2nd in the LFOM series had an age grading of 83.6%, so there was quite a margin between us.
Edited: 30/12/2012 at 09:24
30/12/2012 at 12:45
Afternoon all

I went out with 2 club mates and they dragged me round 8 miles of the 10 mile run. I dropped out as was getting slower and breathing is hard with my cold.

8 miles
1:22:22
Average pace 10:18
10:17
10:18
10:09
9:59
10:13
10:24
10:28
10:48

Really had to breath running into head wind.
30/12/2012 at 13:21

good day

Tracey
well done for getting out there complete with cold - it was really tough here as well !!

Graham
sorry I missed your Parkrun result  - really good going on tricky ground conditions.
My Parkrun course is part under water - that's the paths, the rest is mud

Mick6
you did well to maintain that mileage level with all the problems you have had with your heel - and the weather!!

JJ
you will learn how to run at 9m/m for longer and longer!!
Seriously if the object is to run distance then the pace is irrelevant to begin with. You had a long break and then have had that nasty cold  so you just have to see what your body can do at first so why stress it? Build up is required both in pace and distance and to get the body conditioned to running again (those excess pounds again!!). Then find your optimal pace for just sub lactate threshold running and steadily increase distance. That way your body will re learn best running technique and not resort to the dreaded shuffle.
I have been doing something similar this comeback and could manage no more than 2 miles at first - and still cannot manage more than 5 - see below!!

Busbar
sorry to hear you news - cancer seems to be an ever increasing source of worry to so many people nowadays.
The Morpeth to Newcastle road race always marked the start of the  build up for the London marathon - 1:25 showed one was in the right sort of shape to push on with training even with a hangover!!

Ceal
another tough session there - I would have thought you, being Superwoman, would have just pulled the tree out of the way!!
the uphill bit looked particularly brisk.

Foul morning out there today - strong, bullying wind and a mix of rain, sleet, hail - oh and some brief sunshine made it challenging along with flooded paths and tree debris scattered around underfoot. However CCJ took the edge off the conditions and I ran 5 miles in 41:00 exact (8:12m/m) 

1m 8:26
2m 7:42
3m 7:59
4m 7:55
5m 8:58 Hipps Hill and into the teeth of the wind did me in

That was just about the limit of my current endurance at that pace so it will either be a high point to look back on at the end of next year or the base benchmark ofr progress - no bets either way!!

30/12/2012 at 15:54

Ceal - snap! I also was given a cook-book called "Jerusalem" as a Christmas present - probably the same one, by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi, yes? It's a very beautiful book which I shan't dare to take into the kitchen; any recipe I fancy making will be written out on paper first. 

Many congratulations on your LFOTM achievements. I must try and make sure that one of my London visits in 2013 includes a Last Friday, - even if I only come and watch.

TS - your having reached 716 miles despite "many weeks with a zero" reflects the speed at which you run. I think I had only two zeros in the 52 weeks of 2012, but have barely reached the 700.

JJ - I'm not surprised you didn't see me on Wandsworth Common on Christmas day, because I wasn't there. My run was on Boxing Day.

I'm aware of the proximity of Clapham Common, and have included it in a longer run before now while staying with Daughter and S-i-L (turned out to be a longer run than planned, as I came off Clapham Common in the wrong place, couldn't find my way and had to back-track). Also once did a longer run still, from Balham to the Thames and along the Thames path a little way before turning back.

Busbar - oh dear, not happy news about your family. Are they close family members? Could you perhaps run the marathon for a cancer charity?

I've had a niggly sore throat since returning home, but so far it doesn't seem to be turning into anything. Ran nearly 4 miles yesterday, probably not a very good idea, - was very slow and never really enjoyed it; legs felt jellyish after about the first 2 1/2 miles.

30/12/2012 at 17:14

Busbar, very sorry to hear about your worrying family news. I'll be with Mark Allison for two weeks from October 16th but he plans to finish in Sydney on Christmas Eve. So you'll be in Australia then. If you're anywhere near there visiting your son, and it sounds as though you are from your post,  I know he'd welcome any support he can get for those last few miles. It'd be worth seeing in any case, even if you didn't run.

Mick, looks like you win the thread 2012 mileage! Very impressive total considering your heel problem (great to see that improving all the time though) and the weather you often have to contend with. 

TS, pretty good total for you too, all things taken into account. I'd imagine you're pleased just to be enjoying getting out again and enjoying running after your injury issues in the recent past. All the best for next year.

Columba, sounds like you need to take it easy for a while. Hopefully the sore throat won't come to anything though.

Tracey, probably wise not have done those last couple of miles. Take care of yourself.

aws, I meant to say, with all the talk about miles in the year, that you seemed a little hard on yourself. I can't imagine there are many runners getting out so regularly as you are at the same age.

Edited: 30/12/2012 at 17:16
30/12/2012 at 17:15
Columba
I cooked the salmon steaks in craimeh sauce last night. It was DELICIOUS.. I served it with couscous and chard. I made enough to freeze some for another night. I am afraid my book went into the kitchen, but I do know what you mean, but there were so many different spices. Too many to write out by hand. I presume that you have a signed copy too. I hope your sore throat is banished ASAP. I look forward to meeting up with you again in the Park.

TS
I found it very windy today too, a much colder wind than of late but nothing in the way of rain and sleet that you experienced.. Your run reflected your pace and strength. I do find it frustrating not to know what your HR is for each mile. Especially as I, more than any others, am able to relate the energy used by you. I don't think I could hold your pace for as long as you have done so without me being in a race.

Tracey
Some good miles there. Did the run help you get rid of a lot of grunge?!

It seems, due to social arrangements that I will be having 3 days in a row off running. Starting tomorrow. New Year's Day we are visiting my brother who lives not too far from Diana, in Christchurch. Then 11 of us are going to the Imperial War Museum the following day, 5 of which will be children of various ages. Tomorrow, I am just very busy.

Talking of Christchurch we have not heard from NZC over the Christmas period. Not that she lived in Christchurch!!
Edited: 30/12/2012 at 17:17
30/12/2012 at 17:41

Graham-Thanks for your thoughts and it would be great to be in oz at that time.

As for the mileage debate i have never kept a record of any sort so cant say what i ran last year.But its not to late to startso i may do next year.

Ceal-My wife was given a donna hay cookbook,a present from australia.
Tomorrow i going to run the clubs 10mile end of year run,just a no pressure thing really.Trouble is i am feeling quite heavy,also well done to you for lfotm award.

30/12/2012 at 17:51
Ceal - is LFOTM on 25 January? If so I will come to prize giving
30/12/2012 at 18:15
I forgot to say that I ran 6.11 miles today in 55.31 mins, meant to be easy but it never feels easy, av pace 9.05 mm. No idea what the av hr was today. My strap slipped and I got rubbish numbers for the first 25 mins. It was sort of a hilly run on a new route which I enjoyed, because it was new country side. It wasn't too muddy.

Tracey
Yes, 25th jan, it will be good to see you again.

busbar
I hope you will be able to enjoy your 10 miler. I will look up the cook book you mention as it is not one I recognise. Off to do that right now.
30/12/2012 at 21:25

Thanks for all the comments. I will add them to my pool of info on training methods.

Ceal
I particularly like the way that JB goes about his training. It very much chimes with what I've found so far about post-70 training. I'm certainly going to be working much more on speed than endurance.
JJ

aws
31/12/2012 at 08:12

Good morning

5.08M; 1:06:50.7; 13:10/M; 10°C

Shorts and one short-sleeved t-shirt. Very windy, two tops might have been better. If it weren't for the fact that I'm only doing it to stay reasonably fit I might be tempted to think like JJ and work more on speed. Maybe not.

Busbar  - I'm really sorry to hear about your family's health problems. I'll pray for them - it does make a difference.

al

Edited: 31/12/2012 at 08:17
31/12/2012 at 09:52

Ceal - no, my cookbook is not signed. I'll remember your recommendation about the salmon steaks in craimeh sauce, especially as it freezes.

Busbar - there's a website called fetcheveryone (maybe you already know about it) where you can record all your running and it will turn it into nice little graphs for you. It will also tell you how many miles you've run in a given pair of shoes.

My sore throat has resolved itself into a cold, but seems to be quite a mild one.

31/12/2012 at 14:02
JJ - how hard is Tunbridge Wells Half? I've entered it
31/12/2012 at 14:18

Afternoon

Busbar sorry to hear of your family

Tracey i did it in 1989? i remember a long hill i struggled  but  was undertrained my long run was 6 miles and a 10mile race  2 weeks before

Ceal i plan on being there for January

31/12/2012 at 14:21

Aws-Thanks very much your very kind.

Run the the 10miler and got a time of 1-21one to forget about.

Columba-Thanks for that,may well register with them

Just like to wish everyone a happy new year  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.