Over 60s training.

127,781 to 127,800 of 133,870 messages
31/12/2012 at 18:07

Happy New Year to all and special good wishes to Busbar.

I was apprenhesive about running today as my calves felt a bit tight after running 18k on packed snow and ice so I decided to run on the treadmill. I had a great run, no complaints from my heels and calves at all. 8k done. 

31/12/2012 at 18:16

ceal & Columba, that recipe book sounds very interesting.

Congratulations on the 6th LFOTM championship ceal.

It sounds as though lots of us have seen a lot of children and grandchildren over Christmas, which is lovely. Sorry about the challenging drive though JJ, which takes a bit of the shine off it.

Graham's festive racing is very commendable. Like JJ, I've been struggling with the post-cold gunk, and haven't run much this week, but just scrpaed to 1000 miles.

I must have missed Mick posting about a cancelled trip, but it sounds as though it wasn't the end of the world.

Well done on the 8 miles Tracey. Hopefully Christmas at home was a nice change.

Sadly daughter's father-in-law (who was in hospital over Christmas) has also been diagnosed with cancer, which was tough news - we're hoping further tests will indicate that he can be successfully treated. I hope the same for your family members, busbar.

Nothing planned for tonight apart from a nice meal in with a bottle of wine. We may not make it to midnight! Happy New Year to all, and here's hoping 2013 will bring health and injury free running.

31/12/2012 at 18:21

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY

Diana
more unsettling news. 
I shan't make it until midnight either.  

Edited: 31/12/2012 at 18:21
31/12/2012 at 19:37

First job is to wish everyone the best year yet for 2013. Have a great time this evening if you're celebrating seriously.  If not, sleep well.

Tracey
T.Wells 1/2m course record is 65 mins so it's quite quick. The first 6 miles are very fast indeed and you could be looking at a 5 mile PB. Then comes a very long and quite steep hill on which you will lose about 2 mins. Once this hill is out of the way it's mostly flat and a gentle downhill finish. Very pretty course too.
JJ

31/12/2012 at 19:38

Diana
more sad news to close the year 

Just about to go and take the roast leg of lamb out of the oven. It's liberally seasoned with inserted slices of garlic and rosemary and I can smell it from here. Just some friends for dinner and a few - or more - drinks so I imagine we will see in the New Year

Happy New Year to all - may it prove a good one 

31/12/2012 at 20:18

Managed another 2 miles this afternoon when it stopped raining. Also cleaned out a kitchen cupboard and washed the kitchen floor. Don't think I'll be staying up late! Happy New Year, everybody. I suppose Mick's New Year will arrive several hours later than ours, and NZC's has already begun.

31/12/2012 at 21:46
Diana - sad news about your daughters father-in-law

JJ - I've been meaning to do your clubs half fit years This is the first time I've been able to do it.

Bernard's in bed as he has to get up early tomorrow. Kids are upstairs. Andre's cheap tablet came today and his playing with that in his room.

I'm going parkrun with my friend tomorrow

Wishing you all a Happy New Year xxx
aws
01/01/2013 at 01:43

First post in 2013?

Happy and prosperous New Year to all and sundry.

Night night

al

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 01:47
01/01/2013 at 13:24

Afternoon

Happy New Year

Diana Sorry to hear your news

I know dogs aren't human but a friends dog (well one of them) died He was such a lovely chap while he's not mine it hit me more than i expect it would

Anyhow todays run didn't do 10km in Hyde Park. Good job n all 2.21 miles almost desroyed me legs particularly itb/knees wrecked. Heart and lungs ok

01/01/2013 at 15:19

Very enjoyable slower run with daughter #2. I added in a couple of loops and double-backs to give her the opportunity for a few short walk breaks. Absolutely lovely day out there. 

Hope that 2013 is kind to you all.

01/01/2013 at 15:21

Aws - did you stay up especially to contribute the first post of the year?

Pammie - wrecked itb and legs doesn't sound too good.

2 and a bit miles done before a late lunch.

01/01/2013 at 16:06

Columba - I'm sure its more a  what! you don't use us for a month and then you expect us to run when you feel like it.

Just did a 6.35 mile cycle as plan to cycle more this year one day down 364 to go lol

K2
01/01/2013 at 16:47

Happy New Year, everyone!

busbar, Diana - I hope that the bed news will have a good outcome and send my best wishes your way.

Have been busy with family over the festive period, plus a few days work. All good fun.

I've been rethinking my running and will be doing shorter distances to start with, up to 5k. I'll probably switch running clubs (for various reasons) and do a bit more track work. the shorter distances will allow a bit more time for swimming and cycling, just for variety as I am NOT planning to do a triathlon.I'll keep you posted. 

01/01/2013 at 17:21
Ran Valentines parkrun this morning in 30:10 It was hard work as legs still tired from Sundays 8 miles.
01/01/2013 at 19:28

Happy New Year to everyone

Haven't done much running at all since Dec.23rd with the exception of  a short one yesterday. We had mum with us at Christmas but I had to take her back home a day earlier than planned as she was full of cold and coughing all over the place. In fact, my cough returned and was main reason I kept off running.

At last it is a new year to think about. Let's hope we can all see a better year.  Don't wish to see another soggy and wet year,  2012 was the limit !

The short run was 3.6 miles,  11.49, 11.01, and 10.46 for the miles. 10.20 pace for the part mile. On the second mile  I was impressed with the speed of a chap just walking around the lake with gigantic steps,  his pace was around 11m.10s I reckon and when I finished he wasn't far behind. Don't know if he was a runner or not, I've never seen anyone walk that fast in all the times I used the park.

01/01/2013 at 20:37
I'm only 58 so apologies if I'm seen to be gate crashing your thread, being a young'un! For the 1st time in my running career I've put my faith in a S&C coach. I've previously done my own thing following half marathons / marathon plans from RW and various sites and done ok. However, one thing usually ignored in these plan/articles is the need for us veterans to stay strong, supple and flexible by spending as much time on core and strength work in the gym as on the treadmill / road. Having scored very high for age in both VO2 max and lung capacity it was put to me by my coach that the only way I will improve my times is by specific gym work and less day to day running. I'm 6 weeks into a 16 wk plan as I head toward VLM. My weekly mileage is currently less than 20 miles yet when I do run my performance and 'feel good' factor is better than ever before. I was sceptical at first but have now fully bought into the plan and look forward to challenging my sub 4 hr VLM target which I missed by some way last year as I over trained having become obsessive over following a 'running plan'. Yes, my mileage will increase but i dont need to be doing 30/40 miles per week to achieve my goal. My advice to you is a cliche but......... less is more.
01/01/2013 at 21:31
Bob - not all of us on here are over 60, so your most welcome. I'm a younger member
01/01/2013 at 22:08

In the 1980s I was in my 30s, never a top runner, I had pb of:

10k - 37:50

10mi - 1:05:05

Half M - 1:26:xx

Marathon - 3:13:xx

Back then it was 30 - 40 miles a week, build up to 50-60, with 16 miles every Sunday, building to 22 before the big day. I've kept up a low level of modest running, now just jogging, since then. A 10km last year took me about 58 mins.

I'll be 64 this year and my daughter has suggested a marathon together for 2014 - I'm wondering if I can do it, knowing what it takes. and with my joggers knee straps holding me together. Do I just go for a long walk on the day, or do I put in a hard year plus of training? Any advice out there?

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 22:11
01/01/2013 at 22:13
Farrochie can only repeat what I said 2 posts further up the page!
01/01/2013 at 22:23

Thnx, Bob. For me it won't be about getting times down. Being semi-retired I have the time. I have over a year to train. When I did my first marathon, 1982, it was start from scratch in Jan, and the 1st Belfast Marathon in May and managed 3:31. I'm just wondering how to spread the training over a long period. I don't want to do too many races in between though I know that's where a lot of the speed comes.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.