Over 60s training.

127,841 to 127,860 of 133,493 messages
aws
04/01/2013 at 07:45

Good morning

K2 - Go on then. What are you waiting for?

6.04M; 1:19:35.2; 13:11/M; 9°C

al

K2
04/01/2013 at 08:43

Not without a fight....

K2
04/01/2013 at 11:07
Ticket booked for Fuerzabruta on Tuesday 15th January. This will be preceded by The Rain Room at the Barbican and something to fill the gap between the two!
Anyone welcome to join me for any part of it.
http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/fuerzabruta-2012

Copied from FB and in a rush to work but tickets going fast.

04/01/2013 at 11:12

good morning

K2
thanks for names - I see the crown has not yet slipped

aws
good going 6 miles is bigging it up
Seeing your temperature report reminds me that I received a full weather station kit as a Xmas present  - only trouble is the weather has been too bad to go out and install it!!

Ceal
that sounds particularly nasty - you need to get the long black boots out again !!
I have to admit that the later stages of the NYD's session were conducted a a fairly sedentary pace!!

Being quite pleaed with yesterday's run I thought I would repeat the dose today as well

3.1 miles in 24:18 (7:49m/m) - HR info rubbish

1m 7:40 
2m 8:02 lacking in moral fibre on the uphill section
3m 7:51
.1m 0:44

Virtually identical to yesterday apart from mile 2 where I was 9 seconds slower as the gradual uphill sorted out my lack of stamina - and guts!!!!
It would have been very useful to have HR data to back up what I subconciously felt  but after chasing up Garmin yesterday they say they will respond within 3 working days

04/01/2013 at 11:14

K2
sounds a nice place for a holiday  - where is it???

04/01/2013 at 19:12

Much warmer today only -1c 

TS, 
A very quick first mile from you, I am not sure my legs can fire up that quickly. As I get older they seem to require longer to get going.

ceal,
I don't like the sound of your sore achilles. If it is just a skin burn then maybe one of those artificial skin coatings are the worth a try.  
I tried your exercises yesterday and they went well. A little trouble with balance on the first one but it got better the more I practiced. My legs noticed them on today's run though.

I ran outside today but the footing was very poor, lots of packed ice and that was on the road, the pavement was worse. We managed a slow 6.5k and then called it quits.
I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow but I think it may have to be on the treadmill yet again. 

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 19:12
04/01/2013 at 19:18

Quiet on 'ere.

Trouble with Garmin 305 again, this time it tripped out twice during the short run. Wonder if it's getting worn out like me

Approximately 3.2 miles, mile times all to cock.

TS and Mick,  
13stone ?   I am a right lightweight then being 9st.3lbs !!

Ceal,
Mum was a little better when I called to see her yesterday but the cough is still there, it just has to take time.  Thanks for asking .

04/01/2013 at 20:40

'lo all
Lots of interesting comments to catch upon.
Nothing much to report except the usual loads of gardening. Just ordered a protea for a new patch of garden.

ceal
Sorry to hear about the injury. It must be fairly dire if you actually walked home.

Mick
That temperature is beyond contemplation. Now I'm old I find anything under about +6C  is ferkin freezin'.

aws
That's a 20% uplift in mileage. Must be worth a tuna sandwich award if only because the tuna sandwich is starting to squeak quietly. Won't be long before it pushes the fridge door open by itself.

K2
There's a Fuerzabrute review in today's Times.

JJ

04/01/2013 at 20:45

Ceal
When I worked in the City there was a record for running from the office to St.Pauls, up to the dome, round the whispering gallery and back to the office. Needless to say, it was free in those days.
JJ

04/01/2013 at 21:00

JJ,
+6c is considered shorts weather here, but only in the spring and winter, but then it is never that warm in the winter. In the autumn +6c feels cold.
The damp in the UK makes it feel much worse than it feels here as it is much drier here.

Impey,
9st, I cannot remember ever weighing as little as that. You must be on the shorter side of 6 feet.

Mick 

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 21:01
K2
04/01/2013 at 21:30

TS
The Roundhouse, Camden.

05/01/2013 at 10:26
Good day,

K2
Sounds exciting, I look forward to hearing all about the show. We have no time left free to visit it.

TS
You whimp you!!!! Obviously you have no moral fibre!

JJ
What fun running up St Paul's Dome.

Mick6
Below 6c is when I move out of shorts. Good to hear you are tackling the new running exercises and enjoying them. Thanks for the tip about the liquid skin.

Impey
You are indeed a light weight!

I have been ultra sounding my Achilles with my small hand held unit. Also taking anti inflammatories, which I don't like taking. But will do so for a couple of days.

The rubbed area is still sore but improving. There is some swelling of the Achilles and surrounding area. But it really doesn't feel completely like my Achilles which is a problem. I am wondering if it is my plantaris muscle causing me grief. I have had problems with that before. It starts behind the knee and makes it's way down the leg before wrapping itself around the Achilles. Most people don't have one, but I do as does Jessica Ennis!.

Although I am ultra sounding my Achilles and getting a result, I am only treating the symptoms not the cause. I see my Physio a week on Tues, so don't think I will run until he has seen me.

I am taking the opportunity to get to grips with some kettlebells training.

This evening we are taking the g-children to see Wicked at the Appollo theatre. Although Stewart may not be well enough to go, he is suffering from a dreadful cold.
05/01/2013 at 18:12

Ceal - you (and Jessica Ennis!) have a muscle that most people don't have?

(Just looked up plantaris in my anatomy book. Seems to be a thin muscle disappearing behind the gastrocnemeus. Doesn't say anything about most people not having one, but then it wouldn't, - it's strictly anatomy, no additional info).

My local Aldi has a special purchase of kettlebells going on at present. An internet search suggested that women should start with an 8 kg one, but Aldi's heaviest is 7.5 and when I picked that up it seemed alarmingly heavy to me, so I bought a 5 kg one instead. I was inspired by your frequent mentions of using one. 

Impey - you weigh less than I do!

Went for a 7-mile run early this afternoon. Now comfortably tired.

05/01/2013 at 18:40

It is a nice day here with the temp around -7c but brillantly sunny. 
The running surface is still difficult so indoors for me until the salting has chance to work.

Columba,
Kettle workouts are very popular at my gym especially with the ladies, not sure why. I have used them for some simple arm exercises but that is it. I would suggest you start very cautiously with kettles if you are extend your arms at all. The longer your arms the greater the leverage. I discovered this when I went to a toneup class with the ladies. My arms being much longer I made the mistake of thinking I could hold a much larger weight, than the ladies, at arms length.

8.5 miles on the treadmill. My heels are behaving very well and I am really looking forward to when I can start my speed work outside.

Mick

05/01/2013 at 19:03
Well I survived XC this afternoon. Came 3rd from last. Horrible muddy hill that I had to be pushed or pulled up twice. My pace was more like walking pace at 14:30 a mile Hadleigh Down is a hill course thou.
05/01/2013 at 19:12

Mick - thanks for the advice. My arms are quite long, as i discovered years ago when I used to do a lot of dressmaking and regularly had to add a couple of inches to long sleeve patterns.

The same website that advised 8kg for ladies also suggsted 16 kg for men!

I shall follow a "beginners' exercise" schedule, - again, found on the internet and looks bearable.

Tracey - well done for even attempting a horribly muddy x-C. 

05/01/2013 at 19:36

Damp dreary day here but managed my first run of the year which was 3 miles off road wearing waterproof hiking shoes with solid mud soles. They were very heavy but not too bad to run through swamps.

Also did some digging for upper body work.

ceal
Must be good to be comparable with Jess Ennis.

Tracey
Put the run down to some unusual training
JJ.

05/01/2013 at 20:12

Mick6,

My height is 5ft.6in.

JJ,
Marathon?   No thanks not for me now!

Columba,
I do live in the sarf east........south east part of Sheffield

Garmin was better  behaved today.  Ran 4 miles without spoilt data.
Loads of kids with bikes and scooters, dogs and walkers, and some runners,  occasionally had to dodge a few to avoid collisions!

Mile times,  11.45,  10.54,  10.17, 10.18

05/01/2013 at 20:25
JJ - I enjoyed most of it except that ruddy hill.
05/01/2013 at 22:38
http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/1357446939_87854.ico?width=350

For a very brave Tracey

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 02:01
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.