Over 60s training.

127,881 to 127,900 of 133,528 messages
08/01/2013 at 17:03

Out at 8:00am this morning for a 4.1 off road run with the doodle. Wasn't half muddy and hard work.

Impey
I will probably use he money to take MrsJJ out to lunch.

aws
Haircut has the opposite effect. Samson q.v.

Columba
How will father Christmas manage without his head torch? Give it back.
JJ
The white cloud area looks like a head in profile.

08/01/2013 at 17:20
Columba
Maybe I am too late to wish you well with your new head torch. Also all he best for finding your swimming coach/teacher.

JJ
Miles are being clocking up well by you.

I have been kettlebelling each day, slowly upping my main weight.
08/01/2013 at 19:35

Ceal
I've done 11-12 miles already this year
JJ

08/01/2013 at 19:46
That's 9 or 10 more than me!
08/01/2013 at 22:09

Ceal - you must have a whole range of kettlebells?

Head torch duly christened with the running club. It's extremely bright. Running behind the other runners in an unlit area, it reflects off all their reflective strips, and looks as though I'm running with a group of inadequately-completed skeletons!

Somehow managed to turn my ankle part-way through the run; staggered but didn't quite fall. It hurt a bit, so I let them do a lap without me (we were doing laps around various areas in town), then walked a bit, which didn't hurt, then jogged gently which still didn't hurt, so finished the run with them. Didn't hurt but did feel hot so I've had it under a bag of frozen peas. 

JJ - that's not going to be a very big lunch.

aws
08/01/2013 at 23:00

JJ - Samson was a strong man not a fast one, and not too quick on the uptake either.

al

09/01/2013 at 06:49
Good day,

Columba
I do hope your ankle is well today. I think you did the right thing by running on it when you thought that it had recovered enough. Keep it moving today, it helps get rid of any swelling. But of course rest it too if you feel it is needed by elevating your leg when doing so.

I don't have too many kettlebells, in fact, 4 of them. My last purchase was from Tesco, and it has 6 different parts which make up 7k. One can take them apart. I wish I could afford a set of rubberised cast iron ones. They are much smaller than Vinyl ones and have a handle which is taller than the vinyl ones too. However, they are twice the price.
Edited: 09/01/2013 at 06:50
09/01/2013 at 09:57

I have an afternoon's work in Aberystwyth today, so had no running planned anyway. Ankle twinges a bit from time to time but basically ok.

Samson did make a wonderful come-back, I understand .

aws
09/01/2013 at 10:42

Good morning

RRO

Columba - Samson's comeback was more of a swansong and one I wouldn't wish on JJ.

al

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 10:46
09/01/2013 at 12:44

Hope the ankle is completely better soon, Columba. I too am about impey's height and a few pounds heavier.

Well done JJ - still completing tax returns here - hopefully nearly there.

I love that quality of light too, aws, and the reflected light in the water - beautiful painting.

Have clocked up 29 miles so far this year, but may struggle to maintain consistency when we are away. The apartment block in Bagkok does have a gym, so will try & do a couple of treadmill runs, then see if I can manage some pre-breakfast beach running when we head south. Mileage will be low though. I looked after the slowest group for mile reps on Monday, so it was easier than I had planned, but may get the chance to push for a bit more speed tonight, on the 200m rep session.

Thanks for the stretching & strenghthening exercises, ceal. I've saved them on my laptop, and may try the methos of sending them to my Kindle - time to refer to the instructions again!

09/01/2013 at 13:44

Good Morning,
the weather here is going crazy, the forecast is for +9c on Saturday. At the moment we have three feet of snow covering everything so it could get very wet.

ceal,
I did the new exercises on Monday after my treadmill run. They read complicated but are very easy to do with no major after effects. I will definitely keep them in my repertoire. Thank you again.

Diana,
If you go to this url it explains how to install the 'Send to my Kindle' software. It works really well and is very fast. One click and a few minutes later it arrives on my Kindle.

Send to Kindle

I have clocked up 57k so far this year, about right.
I managed a run outside yesterday although I did get two soakers. An easy 5 miler, it had to be an easy run as the footing was a challenge.

It should be easier today as the salt should have done its thing and the pavement and roads should be clear. 

Mick

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 13:46
09/01/2013 at 14:00

good day

farntic start to the year, and as suspected, would be cunning tenants came crawling back with tails between their legs asking if they could negotiate on the cost i had told them their late change was going to cost...............................
sometimes I do quite like what I do

Columba
even with bright light is can be difficult to differentiate between varying shades of black on the road surfaces and it's all too easy to trun an ankle.
Hope there is no adverse reaction - it sounds as though there is no real ligament damage

Ceal
it's funny how exercises are so long to describe and so quick to do!!

Diana
sounds like you are off to SE Asia?

Mick6
we went from +10C at 7 pm last evening to -2C by 10 pm so its everywhere!!
Thanks for the Kindle link - that may come in handy 

Looks like I am at the back of the queue in mileage terms so far this year which is unfortunate as I have just done something silly  

09/01/2013 at 14:11

TS,
What ever made you do that? At least it is a long way away. 

09/01/2013 at 14:39
TS
COR, COR, COR!!!

Mick6
Agree about the stretches reading in a complicated way. I tried them before I posted them, the 2nd one (a calf stretch) I found the most tricky to understand, but when I tried it with the idea of doing a figure of eight with one's knees, it seemed to be the right idea. What do you think?

Diana
Bangkok, fab. Enjoy. Warmth and no rain should be the dish of each day.
09/01/2013 at 16:20

Mick6
I saw the anouncement on the TV news yesterday morning and it seemed like a good idea at the time ............. 
York is a lovely city, it's nice & flat around there, I can get there in half an hour and there will be some good beer at the end. 40 weeks should be enough build up from zero!!!

Ceal
maybe it should be
DUR, DUR, DUR !!!!!

09/01/2013 at 16:29

Forgot to say that the downside of very bright head torches is that they ruin the night vision of anyone who has the misfortune to look in their beam!!!!!
I found that out  last night on a hilly Hash arouind Knaresborough but 5 miles in the bag blind or not!!
One of the guys came back on leave from his  teaching post in Azerbaijan and a female visitor also turned up from............the same place - unknown to one another!!!

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 16:30
09/01/2013 at 17:50

TS, blimey, that (the marathon) came out of the blue. Good for you. One of my clubmates has entered too.

09/01/2013 at 18:31

Wednesday = Norunday. I'm making haste slowly.

TS
Nice to be in the driving seat when negotiating a deal.

Shame the marathon is non-negotiable. The marathon gods are in charge. 

Columba
MrsJJ eats like a bird so £3 is a possibility. My bill will be more like £30.
Lucky escape with the ankle.
JJ

09/01/2013 at 18:55
TS - Hippo is doing York marathon
09/01/2013 at 19:55

ceal,
I did them again today.
The second one is interesting as at first I wonder how I could make my knee rotate. I  found that I had to had to flex my ankle as well and then sure enough I could get it to rotate in both directions. Indeed it is a figure of 8.
I found this one really made my heels feel good. I usually get a little bit of a burn after my run and this exercise seemed to reduce it.

The one where you squish your toes up against the wall made it very obvious that my big toe is very long as my little toe hardly touched when my big toe was really squished.

The other toe crunching one also reveal another defect in that my left big toe doesn't bend well at the first joint. The second joint is fine , mmmm I wonder if that is a problem. The right foot is better but still doesn't bend much.

A 9k run outside today. Footing is still poor on some of it but at least no soakers.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.