Over 60s training.

127,921 to 127,940 of 132,541 messages
12/01/2013 at 12:57

good day - and a NRD

I must fess up it were me gov - about head torches!!!

Columba
delivery by email is more certain. Download report into a pdf and send - simples

Impey
run faster !!
you have to look at your background training befoer determining whether speed is relatively slower or faster. at the moment I can claim that my training speed is relatively faster because of my low mileage - and I am clinging to that thought!!

JJ
I have done similar maths - it still means I am too slow !!

Tracey
you haven't been led astray by Hippo have you ??? 

12/01/2013 at 13:00

Impey
it's funny how some councils can come up with money saving schemes without resorting to "high profile" budget cuts and others can't.
I would suggest they start by limiting officers pay to a maximum ceiling of £65,000 and then scale downwards and reduce the overmanning by 50% .
Oh sorry - who is producing the proposed budget cuts?? Do turkeys vote for Christmas??? 

12/01/2013 at 14:27

Finally got to a parkrun! Rather wet, and a delayed start as Eastleigh was cancelled due to the wet conditions, so quite a few rushed across to Southampton. They have the advantage that they can set a course entirely on tarmac paths if they need to, and still hold it. Not a brilliant time, but pleaed to get faster as it went along:
Split Summary 
==== 
1) - 1m - 9:31(9:31/m) - congestion & bunching at the start, and had cooled down while waiting
2) - 1m - 8:50(8:50/m)  
3) - 1m - 8:34(8:34/m)  
4) - 0.1m - 45(7:34/m) 

27:39 total time

12/01/2013 at 16:33

Afternoon

Diana - Well done on the parkrun. Good going

TS i can safely report i had fish n chips today first of the year which for the confused (not you TS) is one of my new years resolutions

12/01/2013 at 18:53

TS - email no good for these reports, - they need a signed copy. But I did email the "summary" section.

I wish I had a parkrun near me. My nearest is 30 miles away and starts at 9.00 a.m., which would mean getting up rather earlier than I want to. Maybe in the summer...

Confused about Pammie's NY resolution. Was it: not to have fish and chips before the 12th January?

12/01/2013 at 20:28
TS - only doing 2 marathons this year, Brighton & Beachy

Did a 10 mile long run last Wednesday in 1:49:30, average pace of 10:56.
12/01/2013 at 20:51

Diana
that was a very progressive run indeed - I particularly liked the last 0.1 mile - you must have been fair motoring 
How does it compare with yhour 5K PB - it must be pretty close? 
I am waiting until the swamp disappears from my local Parkrun course before I try again !!

Pammie
more good Alf Tupper training food !!

Columba
Create a signature and then save it and copy it into the report each time!!!

Tracey
you ar 5 miles ahead of me

Long run tomorrow - I may just ease it up to 6 miles!!! 

12/01/2013 at 22:00

Very warm and wet here, not raining just lots of puddles and ice.

We decided to do the treadmill thing again. It wasn't too bad as I got to watch the Stoke Chelsea game at the same time.

I ran 13.7k which brought my weekly total to 53k. I ran 6 consecutive days with no issues, so getting there.

Mick

12/01/2013 at 23:35

Columba it was to have less pizza (Dean Karnaes diet) and more Fish n Chips (Alf Tupper diet)

Great cartoon in this months RW

13/01/2013 at 10:08
TS - just be careful out running.

Bernard's just gone out to do a 16 mile long run. His looking at doing it in 2:24
13/01/2013 at 10:16
Good morning,

Mick6
On the subject of the exercise with the feet against the wall. I think it may be the lack of flexibility in your feet which is stopping the little toe reaching the wall. Certainly one of my big toes is more flexible than the other. You seem to be experiencing all types and temperatures of weather. But you overcome the problem with training on the treadmill. I am pleased for you that your weekly mileage is being maintained without any problems. Long may that continue for you.

Columba
Your drive home the other day sounded scary, not the sort I would enjoy either.

TS
You are keeping up the good pace training. I hope you manage your 6 miler today with no issues. Also it will be interesting when you new HR strap arrives to see what is going on its your faster pace.

Graham
Great 400's again. I agree with TS a HRM used for the intervals would tell you a lot, plus you would be able to see when you are ready to start the next interval.

Diana,
3 weeks in Thailand, wonderful. I think you would have run the Parkrun race yesterday in 26.59 mins without the congestion you experienced at the start of the race.

Impey
There are many runners on RW forum who run slower than you and are some 30 years younger also there are many too who encounter injuries, regardless of age. However, how e differ in older age is that we take longer to recover from both an injury and from a training session.

I have to say that when I have received comments such as I hope I shall be running as well when I am your age etc, I have taken It as a complement, I don't think I ever thought it sounded patronising.

Yesterday we went to see the ballet Sleeping Beauty at the Colisuem, I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. It was a little girls dream of a ballet, there were many there.
13/01/2013 at 11:31
Ceal - I still hope I'm still running at your age. Though I forget how old you are a lot of the times. Am still amazed when I see Pam Jones running as well.
13/01/2013 at 11:53

good morning

Mick6
treadmill  and watching Stoke = glutton for punishment. Good decision on balance considering what was outside

Tracey
Ceal really tells fibs about her age - she is 20 years younger at least 

Diana
3 weeks in Thailand - how awful!!!!

Ceal
nice day out yesterday  - did you take any of the girls with you?
I am off to see La Boheme next month - I mentioned I would quite like to see it and Santa brough me a pair pf tickets 

The running gods conspired with me to produce a perfect running morning - gloroius sunshine, light frosty air and nice and dry underfoot with no wind
How could I not put such conditions to good use?/

6.11 miles done in 49:30 (8:06m/m)

1m 8:25
2m 7:47
3m 7:58
4m 8:16 slowed a bit as I realised that I was commited to runinng longer
5m 7:49
6m 8:26 Hipps Hill
.11m 0:51 

That 0.01 miles was important as it meant it was the furthest I had run since the Harrogate 10K back on 22 July last year.
As I ran that in 48:43 I am quite pleased with this mornings effort  though it had a lot less hill in it than the race as I cunningly sought out the flatest route possible

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 12:02
13/01/2013 at 12:11
TS
Bloody fantastic run, I say! No we went to the ballet on our own. I wish I was 20 yrs younger!

Tracey
Thanks darling, I am sure that you will be if that is what you want. I agree P Jones is remarkable.

I tried running this morning, I managed only 6 mins, before I gave up. There was discomfort rather than pain and because I don't know what is going on, I decided to quit. Kettlebell stuff instead. My HR when running was alarmingly high for the pace which was around 5.30 min per k for just over 1 k. Av hr 129. It was cold but I am presuming that I had a contact.
Edited: 13/01/2013 at 12:12
13/01/2013 at 12:32

Good am/pm
                Not posted for a while but had a quick read back and some good training
being done.
Ceal-Shame about your injury but i know you will bounce back

Graham-Excellent 400s and t/s is spot on with his advice,he is not going to take it easy on you

T/S-Had to take a deep breathe when i read you entered a marathon,but i know you will be honed and well prepared.Your running is going very well at the moment.

Columba-The dark nights with no lights are difficult to run so it's good your getting out there.

Diana d-A swift run from you and getting quicker.

Tracey-Only 2 marathons,don't be lazy

Impey-Total respect for you and aws with your running long may it continue.

Mick6-So pleasing for you at last things seem to be going in the right direction.

13/01/2013 at 12:36

I don't seem to have recorded my 5k times, so I'm not sure TS. I think the LFOTM I did was 27 minutes something, and I did a Race for Life with my daughter that will have been much slower due to congestion all round, and daughter struggling a bit. We have done 5k time trial at the club, but not sure if 100% accurate, as I believe I recorded a 26 something on undulating trails, which would be surprising (however, no congestion!)

TS, I see the Yorkshire marathon sold out in 5 days.

Lovely but chilly morning. Had some things to get on with indoors, so haven't run yet, but may layer up and go out to enjoy the sunshine.

Hope the niggle improves soon, ceal.

13/01/2013 at 12:42
Busbar
Nothing about yourself!
13/01/2013 at 12:47

As for me i am afraid i have a calf injury which i tried out this morning but was just a no no.Been of running about a week now so its back to iceing ,massage,rest etc.
Will probadly defer my marathon entry as the high mileage work required is not going to happen.

JJ-The gardening is harder than the running,don't know how you manage both.

13/01/2013 at 13:41
Busbar
Will you sit next to me on the bench please?
13/01/2013 at 15:03

Busbar, oh no, sorry to hear that 

ceal, and you 

Hope you're both not out of action for long.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.