Over 60s training.

127,941 to 127,960 of 134,612 messages
13/01/2013 at 15:28
You might have to make room for me on that bench. My heel was playing up after Thursday's speed work. So I've had my sensible hat on since and didn't do XC.
13/01/2013 at 16:39
Tracey
It is a big bench. But hope you will have your heel under control again asap.

Is everybody enjoying the 2nd series of Borgen? I most certainly am.
13/01/2013 at 16:53

ceal, yes! Only seen the first one but it's looking good again. Bit odd to see the actor who played the PM in Killing 3 appearing in Borgen as the soldier's father. Two PMs! And of course the Borgen Defence Minister is the victim's father in Killing1. Must be short of actors in Denmark (but they're all v good!).

13/01/2013 at 17:03

Busbar
sorry to hear about the injury  but good decision to next year.
Whether I will be honed for mine is another matter!!! 
I finally got around to clearing up parts of the garden which had been too sodden to get at - masses of damp leaves, dead foliage etc to cut out, rake and transport to the tip. One of the main culprits was next door's massive beech tree which held its leaves for ages and then dropped them when there was no wind so I got an unfair proportion of them and they promptly got soaked and stayed that way for 2 months!!!

Cor just when I get half way right the bench fills up with Ceal, Busbar and Tracey. Hope all the ailments are swift in passing!!

Ceal
thanks - only 20 miles to go!! It would have been very useful to have some HR data - it felt around 72-75% WHR average - 140-145bpm with some lumps on the hills. Legs aren't too bad just now despite the full exercise regime and the gardening but we will see what tomorrow brings!!

Borgen is good but I thought is beiginning to stray a bit close to soap territory with some of the personal story lines. However still far better than any other drama on TV.

13/01/2013 at 17:47

With snow forecast up here overnight I decided to go for it a bit in my 10-miler this afternoon. Don't know how soon it'll be possible to stride out again without risk of falling on snow or ice. It's quite a hilly course as it goes down and then up Jesmond Dene and then down to the river before ascending to the town, across the Town Moor and home. I was really chuffed to do it at an average pace of 8:07, which is 11 seconds faster than my best. I'm thinking the occasional tempo longer run might be the way to go, substituting it now and again for my usual tempo 7-mile club run..

13/01/2013 at 17:55
Graham
That was indeed a good training run today, plus making use of the, no snow as yet, conditions!

TS
Politicians do have personal lIves! But I now what you mean. But I think that the other side of politics is put over well. Where there is politics there will always be dirt to be found if the media dig deep enough.
Edited: 13/01/2013 at 17:55
13/01/2013 at 17:59

Oh dear, commiserations to the three on the bench; very frustrating for you.

Pammie - ah yes, the Alf Tupper diet, - I saw that cartoon in RW as well!

Ceal - I'm sure most comments about age and running are intended to be complimentary rather than patronising. (Except where they're obviously not, e.g. "You must be mad").

TS - "create a signature and save it" - now there's a thought, - would save me a bit in postage, too. But how would I do it with a laptop? Clearly it's possible, since when the postman needs a signature you scribble it onto a little hand-held screen and there it stays.

This morning was cold, sunny and frosty, very pretty. About midday the sun disappeared into mist. Still cold. I put on several layers, one of my Christmas buffs and a headband to stop my ears freezing, and ran to the town lake and did a few intervals alongside it. Removed headband; could even have managed without gloves. And ran home. Shortly afterwards it came on to snow, so I was glad I went when I did.

13/01/2013 at 22:32

Nice day here but quite cold. Will read back tomorrow and respond appropriately.
JJ

aws
14/01/2013 at 07:43

Good morning

5.08M; 1:06:10.0; 13:01/M; 1°C and snowing.

At least you lot will be keeping each other warm on that bench. Here's to swift recoveries all round.

al

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 07:43
14/01/2013 at 08:08
aws
Respect earned for running in such cold conditions with the addition of some snow.
K2
14/01/2013 at 08:12

Morning all

Little runs going ok. Working on it.

In London tomorrow. The plan is the Rain Romm (Barbican), Skyfall and Fuerzabruta, transport, queues and weather permitting. If the queues are long at barbican we're going to V and A. 

aws
14/01/2013 at 09:12

Thanks Ceal, not sure it's deserved though as I don't mind the cold when I'm running and the snow was very light. I don't like rain though even when it's not cold but especially when it is.

Interesting thing this morning, well to me anyway: as I don't look at the g whilst running these days I only see the overall pace when it comes to switching it off. This morning I saw 13:01 and immediately thought, all 5 miles must be in the range 13:00-13:02, which is too even to be true, or there must be at least one sub-13 in there. As it turned out the latter was the case and in fact there were 3 sub-13s which is something of an improvement compared with recent efforts.

al

14/01/2013 at 09:44

good morning

brrrrrrrr out there - about 2" of frozen snow and more to come

aws
looks like the weather propelled you along very nicely

Graham
good pace there as it must have been nearly all uphill from the river to Gosforth - of course that means it ws nearly all downhil on the way out 

Columba
sounds like you got the weather first!! Good planning
do you have a scanner? if so write your signature a few times, scan the page, decide which one you like best, highlight it and save as a Bitmac image. The next time you need to sign a document just copy the signature image and insert it where you need it.
having done it once it is easier just to go back to a document you have signed in this way previously and just copy and paste it in each time. I probably do this 10-12 times a month andit is very easy.

As I said brrrrrrr out there and slippy underfoot too.
4 miles done in a thoroughly mediocre time of 35:38 (8:57m/m)

1m 9:13
2m 8:22
3m 8:41
4m 9:20

I owuld like to claim the snow had its effect but in reality it was  legs just tired after yesterday' s run, showing me just how little real endurance I currently have

14/01/2013 at 11:26

Morning all--Bit cold sitting onthe bench this morning but only a dusting of snow.

AWS/TS--Well done for getting this morning,

14/01/2013 at 11:50

Christmas Card scene here in Newcastle. Couple of inches so far but it's not settling on the main roads yet. More forecast though. Good day for a rest day methinks.

14/01/2013 at 14:05

Busbar
ehh lad it's grim oop north

Garmin have just delivered my replacement HRM and strap - decent service on that front!!!

ceal
where there is media there will always be dirt to be found !! 
it all hangs on the credibility of Babette Knudson and she does a very fine job in the lead role. Nice to see other peoples politicians can be just as devious as ours - in fact because it is outside of our normal political reference points it makes it all the more credible

14/01/2013 at 14:26

Heya

Ceal/Busbar sorry to hear you woes hope you both aren't on the bench too long

Went for a run while my mania  isn't over this week getting the store back to normal moving Baby a bit further forward (good move). Then some normality

Today i did 1.33 miles  not far just wanted a run round the block get the legs moving hopefully do something tomorrow how far snow dependent

14/01/2013 at 17:48
Did 12 miles this morning in 2:09:44

Average pace 10:48
10:57
10:37
10:53
10:40
10:58
10:43
10:51
10:45
10:56
10:57
10:52
10:27
14/01/2013 at 17:50
Just hoping I can keep my pacing like this on all my long runs.
14/01/2013 at 18:18

Tracey, very good long run there. I'm assuming your heel was OK, which is good news.

The snow today turned to slush quite quickly as it was the wet kind. Now it'll freeze hard overnight and with temperatures forecast to be barely above freezing during the day for the week, will be icy for quite a while again. Hey ho..

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.