Over 60s training.

127,961 to 127,980 of 134,107 messages
14/01/2013 at 19:43

Well I feel for you all with the snow and ice but .......

Nice and warm here today, nearly shorts weather, managed an easy 5 miler outside.

Tracey,
Great long run, no room for you on the bench.

TS,
An easy run is not a bad thing, they all do not have to be quick.

Good luck with the injuries, benchers.

Mick 

14/01/2013 at 20:09
Mick - heel still a problem. Just going to cut back on my running this week and see how it is. I'm trying to be sensible. So rest day tomorrow and Wednesday and club on Thursday
14/01/2013 at 20:57

Tracey,
I can certainly empathise with your heel problem and you are wise to take it cautiously.
Ceal has got me looking at my feet totally differently. I seem to have a lot of stiffness in my feet especially my left big toe but generally my feet need some work.
I still have some heel burn but no real pain and the exercises seem to be working. By the time I am finished I will have the most buff feet in the gym.

Mick

14/01/2013 at 21:58

Tracey - 12 miles??? - I thought you were on the bench!

TS - I haven't got a scanner. But I suppose libraries have them.

Sunny this morning, cloudy this afternoon, then rain, then snow. Seems to have stopped now. Hope so - supposed to be going to Aberystwyth tomorrow which means crossing high ground.

Went swimming.

14/01/2013 at 21:58

Mick - you seem to be having some extraordinary weather, for your part of the world in January.

14/01/2013 at 22:31
Mick - your be getting your high heel out in the summer

Columba - I over did and my foot started hurting again
15/01/2013 at 07:01
Morning all

Didn't sleep very well last night due to achy legs. Foot not bad this morning Fingers crossed it stays that way.
15/01/2013 at 13:50

good day

Tracey
12 miles - not bad for someone with achy heels !!
very consitent pace too - good going

Mick6
it wasn't an easy run!!!
Must be quite weird for you having this sort of weather window  in winter. I was watching a programme about polar bears on BBC and the sea ice was the thinnest and had reduced in area quicker than ever before last winter so maybe there will be beach resorts around Hudson Bay before long - though not if the polar bears stay around!!!

Columba
or the uni??? 

Weather is a Grahan described it - hard freeze last night has left all the snow rutted and frozen and no thaw in sight.
Running out in the sticks tonight - should be interesting!!! 

15/01/2013 at 18:54

Finaqlly caught up.
Light snow here overnight but it's disappeared. Very cold but I'm certainly feeling the cold more now that I'm older.

Busbar
Sorry about the crocked bit.
Nowadays I find gardening, running and dog walking a bit much to cope with. I can manage any two out of the three.

Ceal
How's the "discomfort"?

Graham
Great pace for your longer run. It looks even better if you call it 7:67 miling.

Tracey
Very good 12 miler from you. Keep it up.
JJ

15/01/2013 at 21:07

Fair bit of snow here today, but main roads were clear. Went to Aberystwyth - no snow there at all, lovely sunshine though not very warm. I wasn't going to be able to get to the club run tonight because of the Aber trip, but turns out it was cancelled anyway (following a "risk assessment").

TS - can't use the Uni's facilities; technically the Uni and I are completely independent now, except that my name is one of three on a "list" which students are given if they need an assessment.

JJ - you mean, on any given day you can do two out of the three? And then the same the next day (another two)? - Or do you have complete rest days (and if so, what does poor Doodle do?)

aws
16/01/2013 at 07:52

Good morning

5.08M; 1:07:02.3; 13:12/M; -1°C

Chillyish. Wore socks over gloves, it worked fine but clearly didn't make me any faster. Probably due to the extra weight.

al

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 07:55
16/01/2013 at 08:57

Good morning,

aws
a double dose of respect earned today for your run.  

Tracey
some good miles from you, but do take care of your foot, or it could be a problem for a looooooooong time.

Graham
All the best for your training on the ice. Maybe the Gym is a better place to put in some work.

Mick6
I think most of us don't look or even think about our feet at all, until they cause a problem. When one thinks of it, they do such a lot of work and we don't think to reward them!!

Pammie,
I hope your work mania passes very soon.

TS
How was the hash last evening. Also how was the nosh afterwards.

JJ
I had no reaction after my 6 min run. For the rest of the discomfort report see below. It would seem that your running has had another little rest. I don't know how you manage with gardening and dog walks in addition to your training.

We had some snow here, but then it turned to loads of rain instead, now it is white outside with freezing conditions with the addition of some fog.

I visited the Physio yesterday and the problem was as I suspected down to my R Plantaris muscle being VERRRRY tight. The left one was too. All down to my trail run which is very uneven on a firm base. So have been told to only run on it, at the most, a couple of times a week. A pity, because it is very pretty. I have to stretch it by putting my foot (in a shoe) against a wall with the toes on the wall and the heel on the ground then with a bent knee lean towards the wall. The offending muscle was pulling on the outside of my achilles and at the top of my soleus. I have been told I can run on it in a couple of days. I have my fingers well crossed.

We are off to Tenerife tomorrow, for 10 days, we are staying at a small town called Garachico which is on the NW coast. We hope to find some sunshine . I also hope that there isn't fog tomorrow morning, we are flying early. Our alarm will be going off at 3.45

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 09:00
16/01/2013 at 11:28

ceal, have a great time in Tenerife you lucky so-and-so (similarly, good wishes for Diana in Thailand). It's the part of the island I know best (not well) and the scenery's second to none.

16/01/2013 at 11:39

Ceal-Have a good holiday will only help in your rehab have a nice time.

16/01/2013 at 11:41

Graham
thanks. We are looking forward to our stay very much.

Columba
I meant to say, I have done a few more recipes from the book Jerusalem, which included the one for Kofta's and tahini sauce.

16/01/2013 at 11:57

busbar
Your post wasn't there when I responded to Graham, so thanks to you too. I hope you will soon be off the bench. Are you able to get a sports massage on your calves. It might hasten the healing process along. 'twill be painful though 

16/01/2013 at 12:31

Good afternoon,

Hope those of you still having injury problems will soon recover.  I know that Graham and Busbar are affected, also Ceal.  Not sure of everyone.  Haven't been on much!

Afraid I had a setback last weekend.  My blood pressure was VERY high and on Sunday the heart rate was also high up to 110 bpm at times, and I felt unwell.  So Margaret drove me to a Sheffield A & E to get me checked over.  Tests were made, bp, blood samples, blood sugar, ecg etc.  We were there for two hours on Sunday  evening so not too bad hanging about and I felt better whle there. The male nurse finally told me that tests were okay and suggested that I make an appointment for doctor to review my medications.   

Had to use the Triage method to get an appointment, a doctor rang me back listened to what I had to say and arranged an appointment  on Friday, made a comment its possibly a virus causing this.   Anyway the BP is still high ( I have my own monitor) so I am reluctant to do any running until seeing doc.  I've been on same medications for nearly 4 years so  perhaps some changes might help ,   I sure hope so ! 

16/01/2013 at 12:37

Impey-Certainly a trying time for you,wish you all the best and hope it's just a medication change.    

16/01/2013 at 12:40
Impey
I hope so too. Xxxxx
16/01/2013 at 13:04

good day

looking outside a trip to a sunnier spot seems quite appealing - very appealing in fact!!!

Enjoy your holiday Ceal - hope the airport is not fogged in after your early rise!!
Good news about the plantaris as opposed to an achilles problem - some sun may help clear it up.

Lovely clear night last evening and way from built up areas the stars were quite brilliant - as was the white landscape under a crescent moon. Footfall was quite sound and at least there was no mud and the cold helped everyone to keep moving so a quite brisk 5 miles was done before returning to a pub with roaring open fires and big pork sandwiches with chips - and beer!!!!!!

NRD today which is just as well as it is thick freezing fog outside and verrrrrry slippery.Contented myself with a full set of remedial exercises - the rucksack gets no lighter

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.