Over 60s training.

128,001 to 128,020 of 133,993 messages
18/01/2013 at 11:54

good morning

aws
congatulations on post numbers 128,000 and 128001 and brightening up the day!!

JJ
poor deprived child 

Mick6
commendable resolve on the treadie but outside does sound a bit brrrrrrrr even by your standards!!!
it got down to -16C here a couple of winters ago - that was quite cold enough  I think I would fall asleep on the treadie for that length of time!!!

Woke up to only a couple of inches of snow whch was a bit disappointing but still pretty cold by our standards. Ice underneath the snow so it there was a bit of backslip at times but the snow itself was nice and dry and crunchy.

Ran the same 5 miles as yesterday and at 0700 there were not many other tracks in the snow. Time 42:50 (8:37m/m) and again no HR readings at all from my new strap and monitor!!

1m 9:19 slippiest bit uphill on a north side slope
2m 8:19
3m 8:29
4m 8:09
5m 8:32 Hipps Hill - paths cleared in the Gardens 

First time I have run 5 miles on consecutive days

18/01/2013 at 12:22

Got it here good and proper today. Really deep, still coming down, and blowing with it. No-one seems to have gone anywhere; just one set of tyre tracks in the road outside (rapidly filling up). I put on warm waterproof coat and walking boots and went down to the main road to see what it was looking like. Chatted to a neighbour who was in her front garden with her children (schools closed), building an igloo. Main road kind of semi-cleared; a snow-plough went past while I was looking, but no sooner has it cleared a path than more snow comes down to fill it. 

Shan't attempt running today. Surprise, surprise.

JJ - from what I've always heard, the Brits were better-fed during the war and post-war austerity than at any time before or since. No-one went hungry, and there was very little obesity.

I can remember my ration book. Green.

I can also remember the first time I tasted cream, at the age of about seven. I was massively disappointed.

18/01/2013 at 12:24

The sort of temperatures Mick is talking about would surely freeze your face in minutes!

18/01/2013 at 12:42

Good Morning,
Not too bad here, it is only -22c, but unfortunately too windy for me to consider outside running.

TS,
I have no trouble running outside in these kinds of temperatures but I have found it is very hard on my skin. After 35 years of doing it, it has made my skin dry and wrinkly beyond the normal age thing. So this year I decided that anything worse than -20c including windchill would mean running indoors.
You have to remember that I run in a gym and not my basement so lots to look at.
I assume that you have paired up your HRM and made sure that the battery does not have an insulating sleeve to prolong its shelf life.
Well done on getting out in the snow. I find it exhilarating to be the first out there when the snow is fresh and sparkling. 

Columba,
Yes that is a real risk of frost bite, mainly due to the high winds rather than the absolute cold. The city put out a frost bite warning last night as it was due to go down to -25c with high winds.
When I used to run in that kind of conditions I would wear a balaclava and smear vaseline on my exposed skin. 

Off to the gym for an easy 5k as I have a long one planned for tomorrow. I am then off to America to pickup a present for my youngest daughter. I am buying her a Google 10 for her birthday and they are not available in Canada. The border is only 40 mins away so no big deal.

18/01/2013 at 16:38

Back from the gym.

10:13 AM Friday, January 18, 2013

Treadmill5.2k, felt very strong.

Run Duration = 28:01,  Run Length = 5.2 Kms or 3.3 Miles

Average Run Pace = 05:21 per Km, 08:37 per Mile, Age grade =  63.4 %

Average Run WHR = 70.1 %,  Max Run WHR = 83.8 %

Average Run Cadence = 85.3, Average stride length = 1.1 m

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR   Cadence  Slength

01     06:13     1.0        0.6      06:13      10:01     50.7%     61.3%       87.0        0.92

02     05:22     1.0        0.6      05:22      08:39     64.8%     71.1%       86.0        1.08

03     05:06     1.0        0.6      05:06      08:12     74.6%     79.6%       85.0        1.15

04     05:04     1.0        0.6      05:04      08:10     77.5%     82.4%       84.0        1.17

05     05:03     1.0        0.6      05:03      08:08     80.3%     82.4%       85.0        1.16

06     01:10     0.2        0.1      05:04      08:10     82.4%     83.8%       84.0        1.17

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 16:42
18/01/2013 at 21:04

Snow, ice and very cold. Blood pressure and HR checks at the GP today. 140/70 so l pleased with that. That ends the MoT checks. I feel almost human except that I'm feeling the cold much more than usual.

Out this afternoon searching for a friend's cocker spaniel that went missing on a walk. Eventually we gave up the search as it was getting dark and much colder. Got a phone call at 7:00pm to say that the dog had turned up promptly at its dinner time!

Mick
There are some stunning views to be had at the gym.
Useful run there.

Columba
You've got the right idea about the sequence of doodle walks, gardening and running.

Wartime food was ideal. Very little meat, mostly local eggs,  fruit and veg in season and nothing exotic. I was 8 before I saw a banana and we couldn't afford them.

TS
Nothing has changed!
JJ

aws
19/01/2013 at 07:49

Good morning

6.04M; 1:22:07.9; 13:36/M; -0°C

Running on snow is hard even if it's only half an inch.

I've been developing an idea that I can walk as fast as I run; so this morning I decided to try it out and walked the second mile of my run. When I say walk I don't mean just ambling along I mean putting some beef into it although I'm not trained in race walking. When I downloaded the details from the g you couldn't tell the difference.

al

19/01/2013 at 13:21

JJ,
Good to see that you have your BP under control, it must have been all that war time food.

aws,
Well done on getting out with snow under foot. It is a bit like running in sand but you do have to be careful with back slip. It doesn't take much to tighten up your calf muscles. We have had 4 inches of snow over night with much warmer temperatures, around freezing.
I know there are a lot of people out there that can walk faster than I can run so I would not care about it. Just do what makes you feel good. 

I am still puzzled over cadence and stride length.
On the treadmill yesterday, after ramping my pace up over the first 2 km I maintained pace and cadence as you can see below. The purple line is pace, the green is cadence and the brown one is stridelength.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/cadenceanalysis.jpg?width=350

As you can see I was successful with a nice flat profile.
What I found interesting was what happened when I ramped up the pace.
Rather than increasing both my cadence and stride length I just increased my stride length. 

My stridelength at a 8 min per mile pace is around 1.2m. If you do the maths for an elite who is running a 13 min 5k at 180 strides per min, his stride length would be over 2 m.

Try measuring that out on the floor.

Mick

Edited: 19/01/2013 at 13:23
19/01/2013 at 14:58

Hello i am here

Survived the manic week new floor layout completed just a few nights normal night shifts to dowell tonight and sunday afternoon. Thennoff for 6 days

Graham is it Geordie you'll be running with in Australia. I found him on twitter  so decided to follow him

Columba i met a lady at lfotm a few years back lovely woman (a fetchie) she found me on facebook last year, living in Wales now -she moved. She posted some pictures on FB looks stunning

Mick you make me smile with your posts about "our" strugle with the weather. "only minus 22"

I actually cycled in it last night and this morning ready for another round tonight wasn't as bad as i thought slower yes 

2 metres???? How tall is JJ? got to be close to 2 metres? 

19/01/2013 at 15:20

Pammie, yes, rungeordierun. I follow him too on Twitter. I bet you're looking forward to your six days off 

19/01/2013 at 16:06

Pammie, btw I'm impressed with your number of followers. Over 100 times what I've got 

19/01/2013 at 16:23

I'm following you now

i've been there ages though

yes looking forward to it

19/01/2013 at 19:08

Pammie
You are very brave cycling in this very cold weather. Beware the snow forecast for tomorrow.

A metre is roughly 3' 3" so I'm 5" short of 6' 6".

aws
If your running and power walking paces are the same you have a lot of scope for improving your running pace.
JJ

19/01/2013 at 22:06

Aws - I've occasionally tried a run/walk rather than just a run, for a LSR, - made no difference to time.

A stride length of 2 metres? - That's more like a series of leaps than a run!

Pammie - sounds interesting; there don't seem to be many Fetchies in Wales, or maybe I mean in my bit of Wales. I'm not on FB and I don't tweet, so can't look her up.

My car has disappeared under a mound of snow, and it's about a foot deep on my front drive which is on an upward slope, so I didn't attempt the car but instead walked into town for shopping. Main road clear; it was just getting the car to it that would have been a problem. Milkman didn't deliver this morning, so as I don't like muesli with water on it I more-or-less had to go to town.

20/01/2013 at 10:59

Good morning (a wintry one again up here). Has anyone else noticed it's coming up to the 10th anniversary for this Over 60s training thread? In nine days time. I've certainly made good friends on here and got lots of great advice, so thanks JJ in particular for starting the whole thing.

20/01/2013 at 11:19

Morning

Columba - its cybil on fetch

JJ - thanks i don't consider myself brave  but you're the 4th person to say so i was chatting to someone at work her hubby  cycles he thinks i'm brave, only do it because of the hour i finish work a lot safer and  its either that or walk.

Last night or this morning lots of young men still roaming the streets don't normslly see that men but the boy racers were back could hear them. Though today i shall walk as i finish at 5 decent hour

20/01/2013 at 14:06

good day

Mick6
interesting stats there - perhaps you should try and increase turnover rather than stride length  as an experiment - conciously reducing the length and look for more power in each stride. Increased stride length can rapidly become over striding which actually puts a brake upon speed.
An elite 5K runner may well take more than 180 strides/min-  it is his actual speed of strike that is so impressive along with the distance covered in each stride.
I have some info somewhere on it - I will dig it out 

Pammie
6 days off sounds well deserved!!

Columba
I think it is unusual for your part of Wales to get so much snow .
Museli without milk does not sound appetising  - though I suppose hot water would  take it half way to porridge!!

Cold and overcast here and freezing overnight so very slippy on untreated rooads and paths.
Perhaps because I was subconciously thinking about the exchange with Columba earlier in the week  when I got to the turn point to continue my up hill start I took it!!!

7.65 miles done in 67:24 

1m 9:55
2m 7:54
3m 8:23
4m 8:41
5m 9:17 very slippy underfoot
6m 8:50
7m 8:40 Hipps HIll
.68m 6:30

Despite swopping over batteries HRM stayed dead as a dodo - in fact there was more reading on the old one than on the new one!!
An email to Garmin will be wending its way very shortly. 

I had thrown in an extra loop at one stage thinking I needed it to get to 7 miles but found it wasn't needed so ended up doing a bit more than planned!!
Just as well Ceal is not around otherwise I would be roundly told off !!

20/01/2013 at 14:11

Mick6
stride lengthstride length/ cadence

20/01/2013 at 14:41

Graham,

I agree we have JJ to thank for introducing this thread, it's certainly kept going very well.  And we have a solid hard core of regulars, occasionally there are fresh threaders joining but they soon disappear again !

TS,

A great run out there today in unfriendly conditions. I am very impressed .

20/01/2013 at 15:02

After a week of uncertainty with my health I am relieved to say I am now feeling a lot better.   I did suspect the possibility a virus was lurking somewhere in my system and it looks as though that was the case(and it was the Triage doc who thought if possible too).

Paid a visit to the surgery on Friday morn and was welcomed by a young tubby looking doctor probably in his late 20s.  Very well laid back I thought and pleasant enough but I don't think he had a lot of experience with hbp situations really.

The BP readings were 144/82 and he said that was good.  I did think it would be much higher so was relieved about that.  He didn't offer any change of medication but requested that I monitored my BP twice a day for a week, record them and bring with me on the next appointment next Friday.   Never once did he infer a virus could have caused problems.

Going back to last week the symptoms I had besides higher bps were racing heart rate at rest and in bed,  flushed face when pulse up to 110 bpm, poor appetite, restlessness and shaking.   No pain or shortness of breath though.

For the past three days all effects have disappeared and I feel fine.  BP around 140/76.   I shall  refrain from running again while park is icebound,  good walks I shall do and maybe gentle running later.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.