Over 60s training.

128,041 to 128,060 of 134,409 messages
21/01/2013 at 20:23

Looking good Mick - wish my garmin results looked like that! Think I've lost motivation since I got my Garmin, and certainly don't like the heart rate monitor, it makes me look like I should be dead for the the first 10 minutes!

Looks like you've got the bit between your teeth again Torque Steer.

JJ - the gym - that's a dirty word isn't it

Tracey - great running.

I've been really on and off with my running with not much to report, I don't run well in the heat and it takes a lot to get me out and running in it. On saying that, although I've had lots of days off, I have done 2 long runs, my staple, two Saturdays in in row, but certainly nothing else much to back it up with!

21/01/2013 at 21:48

TS - I too had noticed how very newsworthy snow becomes when it is in the London area.

The schools I attended in childhood never closed because of snow, either. But then, I did live in a city. Schools out here really do become inaccessible sometimes, or rather they become inaccessible to pupils and teachers who live out in the sticks.

Mick - how do you "blow out" yaktraks? Are they inflatable?

Tracey - I'm very very impressed.

NZC - Is NZ having it nearly as hot as Oz?

Spent much of the morning clearing snow off car, then off drive, and out into the road. Spread grit-&-salt. Sun came out, icicles started to drip, I actually felt too hot! Then this afternoon I successfully manoeuvred the car up the drive and along the road, and went for a swim. Only 3 of us in the pool, it was lovely!

22/01/2013 at 04:09

Columba - no thank goodness - not as hot as Australia! Think it was about 26 degrees celcius here today.

It seemed so strange for you to talk about the snow, and then going for a swim! Guess the pool was nicely heated

22/01/2013 at 10:28

Morning

Evening NZC though she may have gone to bed by now

Mick yes how do you blow out yaktraks, no Columba atleast my pair aren't inflatable walked to and from work on Sunday in mine litle under 2  miles each way no trouble

i was another certainly never remember missing school as a youngster late 70s early 80s it was a school bus job but even at secondary we had to walk up the road to school as bus couldn't drive up it (dead end  with no room to turn round) This was year round

22/01/2013 at 10:50

good morning

NZC
welcome back!! - only 26C what a shame!!!!
If you are managing to keep your long runs up you will not lose anything much fitness wise during the summer.
I have to put my teeth in first to get the bit between them  

Tracey
very good effort indeed despite the fall. YOu do seem to be able to keep a very consistent pace going.
It must have been all those jelly babies that over balanced you 

Graham
you could afford old tyre offcuts  - that was very posh 
I can't recall ever having my school close down even when the heating went off in the large grammar school we were expected to to carry on working!!!
What is even stranger around here is that many schools are so popular that they operate a selection criteria based upon vicinity to the school and a maximum travel distance of under a mile is a norm for primary schools. That is a distance that any child should be able to walk - not so sure about some parents though!!

Columba
well done on reconnecting to the road network. The pool sounded good.

No run this morning but I did dig out the drive after the lorry delivering building materials could not get along it as the snow was too deep. So 70' of digging and shovelling the 8" of snow  later the lorry could get up. The builders arrived shortly after - I reckon they were hiding around the corner!!!

Mick6
You can certainly do some very impressive sessions on the treadie - good pace there. Is that on a gradient?
I believe the re conditioning work I did on my achilles made my legs much stronger  - I have continued to do them in the hope of getting some more gains!!

A run this evening could be "interesting" particulalrly looking for a flour trail in snow!!
However it is being laid by our resident Norwegian so no doubt he will have means of overcoming such a minor difficulty

aws
22/01/2013 at 12:04

good morning

nrd

I seem to remember the only things that affected my early schooling were air raids, and even then we were simply herded into the shelters.

al

aws
22/01/2013 at 12:06

... not sent home.

TS - Proximity? 

al

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 14:01
22/01/2013 at 14:59

Christine, sorry to hear the hot weather is curtailing your running somewhat . Seriously though, I've always thought that NZ has a very nice climate without the excessively hot and humid weather they often get in Australia. Not that I've been to either!

TS, Not that posh. I had to share the sandals with my sister as we only had the one pair.

More snow overnight and now all the cars in our part of the estate are well and truly stuck where they are. There have been a few attempts to get people out with shovels and old-fashioned pushing but with no success. One car got a few hundred yards but then we saw the owner walking back home after having to abandon it. Even the electrician next door has had to take the day off after failing to drive his van more than a few yards. Little more snow forecast but no thaw any time soon either. Only thing I can think of is for everyone to clear the road opposite their own house. I've already suggested that but didn't meet with any great enthusiasm.

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 15:00
22/01/2013 at 16:21
Graham - people are lazy and think the council should do it.
22/01/2013 at 18:21

Graham - we do have a great climate for running here in Auckland - never too cold or hot, I have just been lazy, if you get up early and run in the morning it is just fine, I've just been leaving it too late. I went for a short run with Mae at lunchtime yesterday, the dog definitely didn't want to go, and took some time to stop panting afterwards. She's definitely not a warm weather dog.

The family wanted to go orienteering in the evening, so I took the 3 year old in the pushchair. At first she didn't want to be in the pushchair, so that was fine, but eventually was happy to look for controls from the comfort of the chair. Not easy pushing a large child up hills with some of it off road. We went on the easiest course, but even with Annie's spotting, still took a long time finding one of the controls!

22/01/2013 at 19:09

Columba,
You must have heard the expression to blow out a flipflop? That is when the prong that goes between your toes snaps, well one of the Yaktrak's straps with a coil on it broke.
New ones on order, $29 from Amazon.

TS,
good luck with the trail run, not sure I am all that positive about running in deep snow. I have obviously done a lot of it and I have always had to slow down substantially so it is more like a ramble.
No it was on the flat, I am reluctant to add gradient yet as I am still rehab' ing my feet. They are feeling very good with only a slight reaction now.

NZC,
I would be interested in swapping some cold for some hot, going down to -23c tonight.

Graham,
I guess noone has snow tyres? They do make a huge difference. Most people here change tyres twice a year. I have a 4x4 with all season on and never get stuck but on our second car which is a Mazda 3 we always switch to snow tyres.

Another treadmill session, 5 miles at an easy recovery pace, followed by the ceal stride exercises and then some upper body.

Mick

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 19:11
22/01/2013 at 19:28

Just popping in before I disappear to warmer climes. Have managed some running in the snow, but nothing as impressive as Tracey or TS. Plan to do a little beach running while away.

Hope you all have some good running while I'm away!

22/01/2013 at 19:29

Mick, a few people do, especially taxis, but until 3 years ago we had so many mild winters that nobody really thought of them as far as I know. Might be a different story now though.

K2
22/01/2013 at 19:33

Have a lovely trip, Diana.

22/01/2013 at 21:00

Two dog walks and 30 mins in the gym. Did 3 x 10 minute  circuits.
Useful bit of a thaw today. Road salting has been very efficient including getting the side roads done. 

Diana
"Warmer" sounds very attractive. You will come back won't you.

Graham
Couldn't you and your sister have one sandal each and hop? You then wouldn't have to wait to go out.
JJ

22/01/2013 at 21:06

NZC - yes thank you, the pool is always very nicely heated. Otherwise I wouldn't be in it!

TS - Might be easier to get the bit between your teeth if your teeth were not in your head?

Maybe your resident Norwegian will use wholemeal flour for the trail.

Mick, no, I didn't know about "blowing out" a flip-flop. May be a west-of-the-Atlantic expression?

Have a lovely time in the "warmer climes", Diana. Think of us, shivering at home!

I got fed up with avoiding running because of the underfoot conditions, and went out for a very slow 4-miler this afternoon. Wore Innov-8s and stayed off the icy bits, - ran on pavement where it was clear, and on roughed-up snow otherwise, with a short excursion across grass - not that you could see the grass, of course. Snow was very deep there, had to do high-knees running and eventually high-knees walking.

22/01/2013 at 21:20

JJ, good idea but it suited my parents that only one of us was out at a time as the other had to be at home making matches to supplement our family's meagre income.

aws
23/01/2013 at 07:20

Good morning

4.21M; 57:18; 13:36/M;

about 1°C I guess. No puddles frozen but well-trodden snow a bit crunchy underfoot.

al

aws
23/01/2013 at 07:21

http://www.alanshelley.co.uk/99053TroutbeckCumbria.jpg

Troutbeck, Cumbria

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 07:33
aws
23/01/2013 at 07:37

Looking on the internet for a map I could use to plan a route for this morning I found this which seems to be quite a useful website for planning and logging runs, etc.

al

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.