Over 60s training.

128,061 to 128,080 of 133,910 messages
23/01/2013 at 11:45

good morning

Diana
bon voyage - say hello to the sun for me 

aws
know Troutbeck well - there is a nice pub about a mile from your painting - or in the vicinity of it 

Mick6
as Graham said  a succession of mild winters with no snow made everyone believe there was no need for winter tyres!!!
I mentioned the gradient on the treadie as you have no headwind effort to overcome on a treadie so times will be faster. I recall something like 1.5% gradient compensates for the lack of wind resistance to overcome when running outdoors.

NZC
lazy bones
Orienteering with a buggy sounds quite challengiing even with all the assistance a 3 year old can provide!!

Columba
good outing for the prancing pony in the deep snow - you will find muscles are used  very differently to normal running!!

Well our resident Norwegian came up with the cunning plan of laying the trail in normal flour!!!! He relied upon positioning it where snow had been cleared, on tree trunks, traffic bollards and the like and of course it was impossible to spot!! Good fun trying to find it though and as I had chosen to run in my trail boots I had no difficulty gettting a good grip everywhere in fairly deep snow. Ran to the pub too but walked home afterwards so it was quite a good workout.

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 11:48
23/01/2013 at 11:50

snowing again here now - I may have to borrow Graham's sandals if he ever got them back from his sister

23/01/2013 at 11:53

aws,
Interesting site, I will browse it for runs around my home town.

Columba,
Probably but you must remember this song from the 70s

Margaritaville

TS,
It sounds like you had fun despite the snow.
I do find the treadmill easier not because of a lack of headwind but because of the constant smooth pace. I find the lack of a headwind makes it more difficult as I tend to over heat.

Off to the gym for another treadmill session, -28c with a wind so windchill -34c. Too cold for me.

Mick

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 11:53
23/01/2013 at 12:49

Trying to snow again here, don't think we are supposed to get more today.

Think I'll stick to going for a walk this afternoon. Lot of ice around.

Going out with Marg, stepson and his wife, grandson Alex & Samantha  for a birthday meal tonight.

23/01/2013 at 17:56

Workout done, a series of pickups that make my charts look pretty

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/cadenceanalysis_0.jpg?width=350

A total of 10.2k with 7 pickups. Running fast on the treadmill can be a bit scary.

23/01/2013 at 18:33

I'm enjoying Graham's Dickensian account of his childhood.

Aws - that looks like a good website. I shall investigate further. Liked the picture, by the way. So flat in the foreground; so mountainous in the distance!

Mick - thanks for the song. I didn't remember it, quite likely I never heard it... I was very busy in the 70s... And my tastes in music are fairly heavy and serious.

Smattering of additional snow overnight, and from time to time during the day. Walked into town, attended a funeral ("Our oldest parishioner..." - she was 96. She had been in the same care home that my Mum was in). Did a bit of shopping, walked back home.

23/01/2013 at 19:09

Had to laugh about the sandals - I remember walking to school bare-footed, but that was not unusual for NZ back then. We seem to be a nation of broad feet! Not used to wearing shoes all the time. My 3 year old grand daughter just hates them, and can negotiate the gravel driveway between our houses without a blink of an eye! She's got real tough feet.

Had my usual  Wednesday 9km run on the flat yesterday, with my friends. Always thought it was 6 miles pre garmin, but close enough I guess. My 67 year old friend just won her age-group for the 70.3 triathlon here in Auckland - half ironman - qualifies her again for Kona Ironman. So guess it takes the pressure off her when she does the NZ Ironman in March. Don't know how she does it, but seems to just take it all in her stride - no big deal. I wondered if she'd turn up to run as the event was only on Sunday, and my other friend said, "why wouldn't she, it's just another event". Amazing how casual we get when we know someone can achieve such things.

23/01/2013 at 22:09

No running or gym today.

Mick
Don't remember that song but not surprised really.

NZC
Is she likely to do the full Ironman?

Columba
What's your favourite music?
JJ

aws
24/01/2013 at 08:08

Good morning

nrd

I don't remember that song either. I guess my favourite music could be the Sound of Silence.

al

24/01/2013 at 10:13

goodmorning

NZC
bare feet - that's where you got your leg strength from  !!
That's the trouble with Garmin - all your preconceptions about distance get shattered!!
Even with it "only" being 9K you don't seem to be letting yourself go too much  !!
Your friend sounds one tough cookie 

Mick6
yes to overheating on a treadie!! Make sure you keep your feet ontrack when running that fast on a treadie - don't want you disappearing off the back!!

Impey
glad yuo are improving - hope you enjoyed the meal. It wasn't your birthday was it - yours is later in the year?

aws
Nice website but Garmin Connect does most of that for free!!

Nice people at Garmin reminded me that I have to re-pair my new HRM with the watch which took only a couple of minutes - now works fine!!

5.1 miles ran in 43:45 (8:35m/m) and avHR 136 (70%WHR) and a max of 151

1m 8:57 av 127 max 136
2m 8:07 av 133 max 141
3m 8:30 av 138 max 143
4m 8:36 av 139 max 141
5m 8:46 av 142 max 151 Hipps Hill
.1m 0:47 av 146 max 151 

ran on mainly cleared roads and paths with just some black ice to contend with in places but it felt harder than it looks from the HR !!

24/01/2013 at 13:27
TS - my run today felt hard. I put it down to Sunday's 12 miles on snow.

4 miles
Average pace 10:56
11:04
10:56
10:45
11:02
24/01/2013 at 16:03

JJ - I don't know that I have one favourite. Things I've listened to recently include Vivaldi, Bach, Chopin, Stravinsky, Vaughan Williams, Beethoven, Rimsky-Korsakov. And I've got a lot of Gregorian chant.

6 and a quarter miles today, in road running shoes, on mainly cleared roads and pavements. There were just a few patches of snow and ice over which I picked my way carefully.

24/01/2013 at 16:47

Tracey
I am sure you are right -different muscle groups being worked have an impact in terms of fatigue. Mind if I had ran 12 miles I would have been wiped out!!!!! 

Columba
I am pretty sure none of those composers were responsible for Margaritaville  
Good miles today before the snow comes back!!!

24/01/2013 at 19:15

TS
Not too much slowing down on Hipps Hill. A good sign.

Columba
A bit short on modern classical music - Rutter, Copland, Glass, Jenkins?

I listen mostly to choral music, especially the usual Requiems, and sopranos excluding Maria Callas. My most played piece of music is Gounod's St. Cecilia Mass and within that I reckon the Credo is the strongest musical statement I know. I also love traditional delta blues.
JJ

24/01/2013 at 19:37

Evening

Ran 6.38 miles today decided to do my usually  get back quick van aaken style so programmed Garmin to do 20 x 350m run 50m walk and anything left just run the rest That rest was 1.41 miles good run found new route didn't reach end of it  so could be longer The off road bit i travelled as it followed a stream. Spotted some nice looking horses

24/01/2013 at 19:59

Still in the deep freeze here but the forecast is to go above freezing next week sometime.

TS,
A bit red faced with Garmin then.
Looks like an easy run with those HRs especially if they were mine.

Columba,
Don't you find that if you want to listen to more serious music you have to pay attention and listen. When I am on the treadmill my attention is all over the place and I need ' fast food" music.

Pammie,
20 x 350 is a tough workout, well done.

A plod on the treadmill today, a recovery from yesterday's pickups. A total of 8k was done.

Mick 

24/01/2013 at 20:04

Mick
I really couldn't cope with your sudden variations in temperature.
JJ

24/01/2013 at 20:49

JJ,
It can go from -34c with windchill to +2c with brillant sunshine. I think it is caused by slight changes in the direction of the gulf stream which normally runs from west to east, so a slight change can bring warm weather up from the south or artic weather from the north in a matter of hours.
The trees suffer the most as they obviously freeze solid and then a sudden thaw can have them exploding. You can imagine what it does to the roads.

Some excitment this week as we had a deer kill on the estate. When wolves or coyotes kill, we are not sure what it was, they make a huge row, lots of howling and snarling. They also make a great mess, especially on snow. It was at night and a neighbour went to investigate and saw them running off but couldn't identify them.

We have a huge number of deer and they are vulnerable when the snow hard packed, because they cannot move as fast. 

24/01/2013 at 20:50

Mick was just done at an easy pace so i can get in longer runs while  build up fitness

Like you i need fastish  music to work out to 

24/01/2013 at 20:55

Mick
Nature, raw in tooth and claw. I guess it's all part of the natural order of things.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.