Over 60s training.

128,081 to 128,100 of 133,790 messages
24/01/2013 at 20:58

Pammie
"Keep on running" - Spencer Davis Group?
JJ

24/01/2013 at 21:32

I don't run to music, except for the tune that pops into my head!

Yesterday there was no running done - full-on day with daughter and gdaughters, caught the ferry to an island in Auckland's harbour where my sister lives. Very hot, lots of swimming, kids kyaking, very tired when I arrived home.

Lots of buzz here this morning as son and husband prepare for a 26km off-road event down by Mt Ruapehu, which is in the middle of the North Island. The first 2km are straight up, and they have to carry 2 litres of water and all survival gear.

JJ - My friend has done Kona Ironman many times, and she travels the world doing tris.

Aws - lovely painting.

24/01/2013 at 22:18

JJ, not a Callas fan then? Unlike me. Agree about the Blues though.

Christine, looking at my atlas preparing for my Oz trip, I've noticed that Auckland is actually north in latitude of Melbourne. To be honest, I'd always thought NZ was all south of Australia, if not by a long way, and that was why the climate was in general a bit cooler, even on the North Island.

My wife's just arrived in Barbados to start a cruise with some lady friends. Lucky, eh?

I went out for a 5-miler this morning. Lots of quite deep snow and slushy stuff  so wore the Mudclaws. It would have been very difficult with normal road shoes.

Quite a bit of snow forecast here for tomorrow. Hopefully the thaw starting this weekend will be a rapid one because there's nothing worse to run on than deep slush, except ice.

aws
25/01/2013 at 07:45

Good morning

run dun

Same as Monday, 3.23M; I guess temp was just about zero as some puddles were frozen but some not completely and remaining snow was crunchy. No idea how long it took as g is out of battery. Can't think why as it was fully charged when we got here and it's supposed to last 10hr and I've done less than 3hr running. Ho hum. 

TS - I use Connect quite a lot for uploading run details but I don't think you can plan routes on it as you can on goodrunguide. Tell me if I'm wrong.

al

25/01/2013 at 09:37

Pammie - that sounds like organised and systematic training. And how nice to find a new route, especially one not yet completely explored.

JJ - ah yes, requiems, I'd forgotten about them. Verdi's and Dvorak's (I sang in Dvorak's Requiem many many years ago as part of a student choir, loved it). I can't remember having heard Gounod's St. Cecilia Mass; I must make a point of listening to it. I like Stravinsky's Mass.

Mick - I don't listen to music while running - except (like NZC) whatever tune happens to be running through my mind. I haven't even got the facility to. Recently, turning out the various boxes and cases in my garage, I came across a lot of CDs belonging to Youngest Son. I emailed him to see if he still wanted them. "Get rid of them" he said, "No-one listens to CDs nowadays". What, no-one? All my music is on CDs apart from a very few LPs I've kept from years back.

That deer kill sounds dramatic. You really are out in the wilds there, aren't you! Are people ever at risk from wolves or coyotes?

25/01/2013 at 10:58

good morning

Mick6
well I had a fox through the garden overnight  - does that count as wildlife excitement? 
I had quite forgotten about pairing so yes a bit  

NZC
I don't like the sound of that start!!

I am another of the non music runners - I actually like to hear what is going on around me particularly when there is nothing - ie silence!!

Dry cold this morning - 3C and the hard frost was picked up by the early false dawn in a clear sky. The sparkle of the frost put me in mind of a programme I had watched at the weekend on Glen Campbell; and so I had Rhinestone Cowboy gentle on my mind for the rest of the run!!

Same run as yesterday 

5.1 miles ran in 43:38 (8:32m/m) and avHR 135 (70%WHR) and a max of 151

1m 8:54 av 128 max 137
2m 8:03 av 133 max 139
3m 8:36 av 136 max 142
4m 8:43 av 136 max 142
5m 8:37 av 141 max 149 Hipps Hill
.1m 0:52 av 147 max 149

Virtually identical result to yesterday despite using my Adizeros which gave a very good grip on the frost

25/01/2013 at 13:05
Well done TS

Non run day but did Ripped in 30 exercise DVD and sweated like a pig.
25/01/2013 at 14:06

Tracey
thanks - but it wasn't too well done as HR is a bit high
I did not sweat like  a pig  however - scarcely a drop on me when I finished though there was a bit of ice in my hair!!!

aws
Along the top of the Garmin Connect  site there are four tags - normally you will open it on Dashboard. Just click on Plan, put your post code into location and away you go.

Graham
! trust you are now learning French  - "allez les garcons" or something similar 
Just started to snow here again so you did well to get your run in today

25/01/2013 at 14:13

TS, I know, it's becoming a bit of a joke. Let's hope they can play a bit or we're stuffed. Once the thaw starts, running won't be easy for a couple of days, there's just too much snow and slush on the pavements.

25/01/2013 at 18:28

NZC,
That sounds like a very tough event. Having done some hiking there, I know when you say straight up exactly what you mean.
I rarely listen to music when I run outside but this winter I am doing a lot of treadmill running and the iPod helps a lot. 

Columba,
We are not really in the wilds by Canadian standards as we are 35k from the Parliament Buidings, but the whole area is very rugged and wood covered so lots of wild things.
Small children, dogs and especially cats are at risk but it rarely happens to humans. However when city people move into our estate they usually lose their cats and learn quickly to put their rubbish out in wheelie bins with lids and not just a plastic bag. 

I am running long tomorrow so just an easy 5.1k today.

25/01/2013 at 21:02

Mick - sounds like you are getting fit - good on you. 

We've had quite a bit of talk about cats killing our native birds, and one person calling for people not to replace their cats. Then one guy showed a clip of his cats kills over 17 years, yes they are killers, but a lot of the kills were rats and mice, and he reckoned if not for cats, there would be even less bird-life around.

Torque Steer - I have my garmin set on kms, but even I can calculate your mile rate is much faster than what I've been doing lately.

I ran with Mae this morning - 10km on the bushtracks, an out and back course. Sounds nicer than it is, the first part is heavily gravelled, though in the bush. I, like Mick, want to do a longer run tomorrow, but thought Mae needed an outing.

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 21:04
25/01/2013 at 21:14

Can do you a large dog fox wandering round the garden early yesterday morning. The doodle gets very annoyed with them.

I have never run while listening to music. Running needs great concentration.

Columba
The St. Cecilia mass is a bit of a rarity. Not sure why this should be, it's very accessible music. Faure's Requiem is good.

Locus Iste is my alternative choice - Bruckner. Wonderful piece of evocative music but very boring to sing if you're a bass/baritone grunter. Why do women and tenors get all the best music to sing?

TS
That was a much lower HR on Hipps Hill and not to much difference in pace. Good?

Graham
I wouldn't say Callas was bad. I find her just a bit less good than many.
JJ

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 21:31
26/01/2013 at 10:32

good decision to have a NRD today - 6"+ of snow fell overnight, the first 1" fell in half an hour!! I had just popped round to a friend's house, no snow, came back out after a quick chat and everything was covered!!!
Just managed to get home  with anti skid control warning light burning bright

Mick6
just been talking to the young plumber working on my house after commending him on getting here this morning. He said it was nothing after working in Saskatchewan for 9 months last year where it got down to -40C!!!

NZC
It's the cold weather making one run faster!! You have the summer to contend with.
Cats do a lot of damage to bird life but my old moggy always preferred  mice and voles and I always had to check my shoes before putting them on as that is where he preferred to leave his trophies for me.
Since he sadly died we have been troubled with lots more mice in the house and garage 
Nice easy outing for Mae - not so sure about you if you aer doing a long run today !!!

JJ
Thanks - Things moving along ok even though it is early days. I have modified my route a bit because of the snow so that Hipps HIll starts in the last 0.1 mile of the previous mile so it doesn't really compare with earlier runs. However day on day I am reasonably happy with it.
Hopefully the snow will be gone tomorrow to be replaced by floods 

26/01/2013 at 16:23

Afternoon

TS Will you get another cat?
Met a friend today and i had fish n chips was really nice

Anyone see BBC4 last night and Dave Brubeck, really good though not necessarily a jazz fan i remember take 5 as a child it being on one of my parents LP's

LP's remember them

Walking back home i saw 2 men birdwatching asked them anything interesting they pointed had to confess i didn't now much birds apart from the normal garden variety we get

Wawings they said about 27 of them. They reckon there' about 40 locally

It rang bells was it someone here, TS? Graham? who's mentioned them before

TS Build snowmenlots of them or one big one

26/01/2013 at 18:20

Torque Steer - I'm still sitting here - didn't go for the long run! Bit of a problem with Mae, don't really want to take her too far in the heat, and although it is easier if I get up and go early, it is taking me longer these days to get the motivation to get up and go!

The boys rang yesterday afternoon, happy to have finished their event again.

Hope to go out soon, just need someone to give me a shove out the door! 

26/01/2013 at 18:44

NZC
Here you need a shovel not a shove.

Pammie
A couple of days ago I read in the newspaper that there has been a huge waxwing migration to the UKfrom the continent.
JJ

26/01/2013 at 18:50

Younger daughter and baby grandaughter came for lunch today. The baby thinks I'm very funny; she smiles every time I heave into view.
JJ

26/01/2013 at 19:01

Anyone know a piece of easy to use, free, website design software that actually works well?
JJ

26/01/2013 at 21:18

JJ,
You would have to define what you mean by free.

NZC,
I am surprised I always assumed that you were a driver as some of the runs you do would ceratianly demotivate me quickly.

Long run done, 1 and a half hours on the treadmill, now that is motivation. Happy with it as my total for the week is 58k. Also walked the dogs as the temperature got back up to -11c this afternoon. They were pleased with that too.

Mick

26/01/2013 at 21:37

Mick - "got back UP to -11" - lol! How you survived an hour and a half on the treadmill I can't imagine. Beethoven's 9th, maybe?

JJ - Faure's requiem - yes, I like that very much.

Pammie - you remember LPs, but do you remember 78s? We had "Peter and the Wolf" on 78s, on a wind-up gramophone, played with thorn needles. The wolf's loudest growls sometimes broke the needle.

I wouldn't know a waxwing if I saw one.

A lot of thawing has been going on here, though there's still heaps of miserably-looking greyish snow. I ran 4 and a bit miles early this afternoon, nearly all on cleared roads and pavements. The few bits that were still icy were absolutely lethal, and I walked carefully across them. Came back with the top of one toe rubbed raw, - new shoes, a half-size smaller than I usually get them. Felt fine in the shop, of course.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.