Over 60s training.

128,121 to 128,140 of 134,409 messages
28/01/2013 at 20:34

Walking the doodle this morning and came upon a 30m stretch of footpath that had the river Medway overflowing across it. Had to roll jeans up to knees and wade through it. This was followed by a narrow bridge over the river with the river running over it not under it. More wading!  Wasn't half cold.

Tracey
I'd like to add my admiration for the run.

Mick
Like the way the pace increases steadily. No pain?
JJ

28/01/2013 at 21:15
JJ - I bet doodle loved it. Can you please bring her to Tumbridge Wells half
28/01/2013 at 21:35

TS - how about this for an update of Jane Austen:

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be a good source of child support, if not alimony"

What, cynical? Moi?

Tracey - couldn't help laughing at you being careful not to overdo it - having just run 14 miles!

JJ - did the doodle swim it?

NZC - did Mae enjoy having her head dunked?

No running today, but I went swimming. Not in an overflowing river, but in the local heated pool. We have had blustery winds and almost horizontal rain here today. 

28/01/2013 at 22:02

Columba
I put her on the lead and she half paddled, half swam. She's quite a big dog,

Tracey
I will do my best.

JJ

K2
28/01/2013 at 22:27

Evening all

Belated happy birthday wishes to Columba.

A flying visit to let you know I'm not sitting around doing nothing. The sale period kept me busy and slightly tired (!) so fitness was on the back burner, where it will stay this month due to the fire-walk on 23rd. 

In the meantime I'm doing treamill sessions (and still enjoying them) and........drum roll, please.................. have entered three races (total distance 7.1 miles). The lovely low-key Sri Chinmoy ones that I've done in previous years.  There is also a summer series of 4 5k races which I might enter.

29/01/2013 at 20:32

K2
Good to hear from you. Thought we'd been abandoned.
Hope the flying visit isn't on a broomstick.
JJ

29/01/2013 at 20:35

Hello K2, seems a long time since you posted anything.

How did the fire-walk go? Was it for real?

Out with the running club this evening, in quite atrocious weather conditions. Heavy rain, driving winds. Even the really keen runners had had enough after 45 minutes, whereas usually we're out for an hour or more.

K2
29/01/2013 at 21:38

Columba
The fire-walk is in Feb 23rd. The gym are using it as part of an open day so the rubgy and football teams will be involved, we hope. Possibly not the footballers as they play on Saturdays  but there'll be a raffle so................

Your run sounds character-building.

30/01/2013 at 14:40
Hiya,

I have read all posts and cannot possible start to do justice to them by responding. However, I was/am very impressed with everybodies training in the adverse weather conditions that you have been experienced including the rain and high winds of the past few days. You all seemed to have managed to get out there, except Mick6 who has had very extreme cold and has put in some excellent work on the treadmill.

We came back on Saturday pm and missed every single day of the snow. I have been caught up ever since our return trying to catch up with admin and phone calls etc etc etc.

Our weather could have been better, we experienced a weather front which bought cloud and cooler temps. However, knowing what you all were experiencing, enabled us to make the best of things.

Garachico was a beautiful town with typical Spanish Colonial Baroque style architecture. Our hotel started life in the 1500's and was one of the most impressive hotels that we have ever stayed in. There was not a high rise in sight. Plus when exploring the more central area on Teneriffe we came across some very dramatic scenery.

Back to the grind!

I am not running, I had a go the day after we arrived and managed 16 mins of care free happy running along the seafront but then in the 17th min I has to stop with prolems in my R Achilles again. Now home I have started my kettle bell training again and I am doing eccentric heel drops twice a day with a few concentric ones thrown in too.
30/01/2013 at 14:54

ceal, how frustrating that your achilles is playing up again. Especially when you must have thought all was well in those first 16 minutes. We visited Garachico when we were in Tenerife a couple of years ago (same time of year) and were very impressed. The scenery all over the island is very good but the central part is something else and reminded me a lot of the American West. The week after we got back a huge weather system came in and caused bad flooding where we'd stayed (Los Gigantes) and also in Madeira. So the sun is never guaranteed unfortunately but I'm sure you had some very nice weather as well as the cooler stuff.

The pavements around Newcastle only really cleared properly yesterday. There was still enough icy snow and slush around on Monday evening for my stepdaughter to slip and break her wrist. She was taking so much care too. Luckily it looks like it will heal itself in the cast, although it was quite a bad fracture.

30/01/2013 at 18:02

Welcome back ceal.
It sounds like you had a wonderful time apart from the achilles.
I found stretching my achilles was something I had to do very carefully. I discovered the hard way that you can only do it while nothing hurts, even a slight burn.

Graham,
Did she fall while out running?

JJ,
My running is going very well, only a very slight discomfort while running. Very little reaction after running and I don't have to restrict the movement of my feet at all.
Your walk with the dogs sounded like fun, sometimes it is good to behave like a child again.

The weather here has gone crazy, +11c, so you can imagine what it is like as we still have feet of snow. The snow is giving off a thick fog making things feel very damp.
I ran out side yesterday and today, although it was very messy and slippery. My new Yaktraks worked well. I ran 9.5k yesterday and a easy 7k today.

Mick 

30/01/2013 at 18:08

Mick, no, just walking to the local shop. This is my older stepdaughter Katy who you may remember does love running but unfortunately has had problems in both knees and been advised not to run. I can't believe the difference in temperatures you've been getting recently. I can only imagine the chaos it would cause here.

30/01/2013 at 21:18

Welcome back, Ceal, - sounds like a good holiday although the weather wasn't quite what you might have hoped. You must find it very frustrating, not being able to run at present.

Mick - your temperature changes sound absolutely astonishing! - I suppose there's just too much snow for it all to melt at once?

Graham - oh dear, poor Katy. Commiserations.

Didn't run today; had an afternoon's work in Aberystwyth, where it was incredibly windy, - the sort of wind you can scarcely stand up in, and absolutely unremitting. The sea was spectacular! - White foam everywhere, and spray blowing off the tops of the waves like a mist. Nevertheless, some hardy souls were running along the promenade.

aws
31/01/2013 at 08:26

Good morning

5.08M; 1:07:22.4; 13:16/M; 7°C

Actually got out for a run today, dry when I went out, slight mist of rain at mile 2 increasing gradually to a downpour by the time I got back. 

al

31/01/2013 at 14:52
Good Day,

Columba
Yes the wind is pretty violent at present. On the coast it will be worse as you have already experienced. Strangely enough when we were away the effect of the wind along the sea front was just as you have described it and we found it fascinating to watch and have many photos of the spray etc.

Graham
Poor Katy, as we know accidents happen in a flash when we least expect lt. We spied Los Gigantes from the furthest point near to Garachico by the light house, quite a dramatic view.

Mick6
What bizarre weather you are having! I think the up to date opinion about stretching an injured Achilles is to work through the discomfort. Certainly this procedure seems to be helping mine. However, although my Achilles is affected, I have a feeling that it is the plantaris muscle where the tear is and this small muscle has attached itself to the tendon. Certainly, whatever is going on, I don't want the injury/lumps and bumps to become calcified and the eccentric exercises should lprevent this from happening,. But of course one has to listen to one's body, as indeed you do, and the stretches are not going to suit everybody.

I have just ordered another kettle bell DVD, which gives me 3 to chose from. Keeping boredom from creeping into my workout. They are all from USA. The latest is kettlebell shred and is more aerobic than strength training.
Edited: 31/01/2013 at 14:55
31/01/2013 at 15:07
Ceal - Bernard download my exercise dvds from one of the shares sites. I found out the other day that Jillian Michaels is on Sky. Nearly wet myself laughing at Mr Motivate who must be a 100 by now lol
31/01/2013 at 17:36

8 miles today, in strong winds which never gave up, - but at least no rain showers (unlike Aws).

31/01/2013 at 19:36

Columba,
 8 miles in strong winds is a great workout, well done.

ceal,
I found that if my achilles started to burn while I stretched then it would react afterwards and then be stiff for the rest of the day. If I stretched to the point of burn then it was happy and I progressed.
Kettlebells are very popular at my gym especially with women, so if I need any new exercises I just have to watch them.

Very strong wind today with the temperature racing from +11c to -15c. I got out for 9.4k while it passed through -1c.
We have had a huge melt off of snow but the wind has dried everything up so once the temperature has stabilised it should be a good running surface. Next week we are promised normal temperatures, no more of the crazy stuff.

This month I managed 222k that is 138 miles so pleased with that. Heart rate has shown good progress and 30 miles a week is very comfortable. Time to introduce some speed work but I need some decent weather.

Mick

Edited: 31/01/2013 at 19:38
31/01/2013 at 20:30

Ceal - lovely to see you back, great to have a nice holiday, hope your injury improves quickly.

Columba - good work.

Mick - you really have put in a lot of work this month.

JJ - sounds like you had fun with the dogs.

I ran 4 miles in Cornwall Park yesterday during the heat of the day - should be getting used to it, but I'm not.

31/01/2013 at 20:39

'lo
Nothing much happening. Quite enjoyed the weather in the past two days and have done lots of gardening and walk/running with the doodle.

Ceal
Welcome back. I guess I have to put Garachico on my must visit list .Sorry the achilles is still playing u. Not sure that I know any magic cure.

Tracey
Mr.Motivate is a sideline I have.

Mick
I guess I've reached second childhood.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.