Over 60s training.

128,161 to 128,180 of 134,369 messages
02/02/2013 at 20:31

Graham
Be suspicious if he comes up with 100+ miles.
JJ

02/02/2013 at 22:21

JJ, I'd be asking for a blood test in that eventuality.

03/02/2013 at 14:19

good day

JJ
yes excellent rugby -it helped the pork pies and Speckled Hen beer down amonogst the hordes assembled in my house very well indeed.
Even Rolland had a good game as ref - and that dosen't happen very often !!
I am liking the look of Twelvetrees - he plays a bit like Greenwood and that is no small praise.

Graham
you have to watch those Canadian miles  - the French influence over there is trying to reduce them to 1500m!!!

Pretty rank conditions this morning - strong, cold wind and a greasy drizzle that scudded along on the wind threatening to turn into something worse but not quite making it

8 miles done in 67:24 (8:27m/m) Unfortunately HRM went on the blink again after 4 miles ....................................

1m 9:25 128  145 all up hill
2m 7:34  135  139
3m 7:58  137  145
4m 8;15  136  147 
5m 8:23  155  207
6m 8:36  170 190
7m 8:09  170  212
8m 9:04  189  239  Hipps Hill

Pity about the HR records but the pace felt ok  so I suspect it was all about the same HR profile 
Just 18 more miles to do at that pace or faster.............................. 

03/02/2013 at 14:23

TS, As a Toon fan I'm not complaining about a bit of French influence . Good run again today, especially in this wind.

03/02/2013 at 14:55

TS - bpm up in the 200s! - I see what you mean about being on the blink!

Mick - yes, definitely feet not metres. Though why Garmin chose to measure in feet, rather than in fractions of a mile as it used to, I don't know.

NRD.

K2
03/02/2013 at 15:14

Are rugby players selected according to the arboreal nature of their names?

03/02/2013 at 15:26

Graham
thanks - the pace from Friday's effort was in the legs but the rhythm was as well  which helps to keep one bowling along.
Vive la France after yesterday's splendid effort - and a bit of Argentinian leather as well  to boot - or to face !!

Columba
I think you will find that Garmin measures completed distances less than, I think 600 feet, in feet, above that it reverts to miles or decimals of a mile on a longer run when there is a bit more than a mile done eg 8.01 miles as I did this morning. 

K2
It was actually the player's mother's maiden name  but when she married the husband took it on as the family did not want it to die out. Later on the husband took up a different profession -  as a tree surgeon - he obviously grew into the name/job!!!!!

K2
03/02/2013 at 18:03

TS
There's not much hope for me, then, if I grow into my married name........

Too late. 

03/02/2013 at 19:50

So Torque Steer - are you running a marathon soon?

I went in and ran with the 5.45km group at the Y yesterday. It was hot and for too hilly for my liking after doing the 5km race the day before.

The 6.00km group is too big, so their water stops take too long, and the 5.30km group is too fast.

There were only 5 of us in our group, so I hung in there and tried to enjoy it as much as possible. Near the end of the 14 mile run, we caught 3 runners who had dropped off from the 5.30km group, and we lost 2, including the packleader!

It was very hot, and I had 2 new runners in tow, so I thought we should try to maintain the pace to the finish. We had a good run, but I was very, very tired afterwards. Easy jog today!

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 19:52
04/02/2013 at 06:54
Good morning,

Somehow or other, we have had a very busy weekend.

TS
Will you please run your 5 k training runs a bit slower, I am never going to be able to catch you!! A good 8 miler yesterday. I hope J is not finding her Physio too painful. You will no doubt be very empathetic with her due to your past injury afflictions and the resulting Physio exercises.

Mick6
Your mileage is continuing to rise. Excellent. Are you having regular massage on your calf muscles to make sure that they don't get too tight and aggregate the very good progress that you have made with your Achilles.

JJ
I am not sure if you are doing any running training or not. I don't think you have mentioned any recently.

NZC
For someone who says they are unmotivated about their running, I think you raced a very respectable 5k. Also you are putting in some good mileage, with and without Mae.

Columba
Some good intervals run by you. What race are you working towards?

K2
My maiden name was Plant!

My middle g-daughter, yesterday, knitted a large shoulder purse from shredded supermarket plastic bags. The finished result was extremely impressive. She is very artistic.

The wind this week sounds as if it is going to be both strong and cold too.
aws
04/02/2013 at 08:03

Good morning

5.14M; 1:08:37.8; 13:20/M; 8°C

I thought I was running faster today.

My maiden's name was Williams, she was sweet (and still is, of course).

al

K2
04/02/2013 at 08:38

to ceal and aws.

I want to make a bath mat out of old T-shirts - cut long digonal continuous strips and use big needles. Another retirement project..........

04/02/2013 at 10:06

good morning

NZC
how far were you running at 5:45 pace? Sounded a hard session after your race.
It is 257 days 23 hours and 45 mins to the York Marathon which I foolishly entered on a whim  thinking I should support a new local race!!
As the man said who took off all his clothes and jumped into a catcus patch when asked why he had done it - "it seemed like a good idea at the time"!!! 

aws
keep thinking positive thoughts 

Ceal
It is just fear of you catching up that drives me on!!
Oh yes- empathy, empathy. I can just hear her words now as I struggled  and tortured myself through endless physio - "well you have only yourself to blame, you are the one who goes out running" !!!

If yesterday was windy today was several notches further up the Beaufort Scale - at one stage I was tacking across the path over the large and very exposed open grass area that forms a part of my route.

5 miles done in 42:22 (8:28m/m) and avHR 134 (68%WHR) and a max of 154

1m 8:52  124  134
2m 7:54  131  140 
3m 8:20  136  142
4m 8:23  137  143
5m 8:51  142  154 Hipps Hill 

HRM behaved today and I was quite pleased to keep the pace and HR within reasonable limits on tired legs and windy conditions

04/02/2013 at 12:49
Well done TS & aws running today. We must be mad;-)

Today was my 15 mile long run. I do an out and back course. Unfortunately the winds behind me most of the way out and mostly in to head wind on the way back.

2:46:46
Average pace 11:07
11:21
10:49
10:56
10:48
10:34 - nearly knocked of my feet in wind
10:30 " " " " "
10:55
11:17
11:30
11:11
11:20
11:07
11:36
11:18
11:26
04/02/2013 at 18:21

Great long run Tracey!

Torque Steer - New York marathon - I'm jealous! Think that was the best marathon than I've run. I never thought that I would enjoy a big marathon like that, but I did - it was wonderful. So much to look at, great bands, feed stations every mile! The only really hard bits were the early start to catch the bus to the start and somehow making your way back to the hotel when you are really stuffed after the marathon! I went with my husband and son, so had company waiting for the start, and it was great to see them both with medals around their necks - it was a great family experience.

Just build up your long runs slowly and don't worry how long they take you.

Yes the 5.45km pack is supposed to average that pace for the distance planned. It was pretty much on my limit these days as if I just go out by myself, I'm usually running 6.15-6.30 pace.

I did aneasy 3 miles in Cornwall Park last night, then joined husband and son for a really nice Thai dinner - even had a couple of glasses of wine.

04/02/2013 at 19:18

TS,

Your last two runs showed you are keeping up the excellent paces. Was rather surprised you are in for the York marathon.  I've no doubt you'll boss it

Tracey,

Well done you on such a long run with the battering wind to contend with.

Not a bad day yesterday, managed to do some work in the gardens which neede a lot tidying up etc.  Bird tables de-crapped and cleaned up!
Had a meeting with the park admin manager who says they will be funded by Roth.council for equipment needed for Rother Valley park run starting late March. All that is needed now is to ensure we get enough volunteers for marshalling etc.

04/02/2013 at 19:24

Strong blustery wind across the lakes today, even created sea-like waves to flood lakeside footpaths. Otherwise nice enough to enjoy another run.
11.40  11.06  10.49  10.48 10.54             5 miles felt good and helped me to forget the recent health issues.  Just got to get on with it 

04/02/2013 at 19:35

Impey - good luck with starting up the Rother Valley parkrun - this one in Auckland was started not long ago and it is growing week by week.

We are going to see "the boss" in Melbourne at the end of March!

04/02/2013 at 20:17

Tracey
well done on completing your long run in such conditions - you did well into the wind so you haveconsiderable reserves of strength

NZC
NOT the New York Marathon but the York marathon  Yorkshire marathon !! It's a bit closer to home being only 20 miles away to the start line which was what attracted me to it.

The other "attraction" is that with a placed secured I can put my training into effect over  257 days so the build up can be gradual although I have certain targets to meet on the way.
I am not new to marathons but previously (30 years ago!!) they took me a lot less time  to get round than I suspect this one will

It's along way over the ditch to Melbourne for a concert - are you making it a holiday as well?

Impey
an inland sea. Good to see you back out there and running
Great news about the Parkrun - should be a nice course around there 

04/02/2013 at 20:57

Tracey - what a long run, - I admire your fortitude, out in this wind for two and three quarter hours.

Ceal - no races entered as yet, but hope to do another half marathon this year, - probably the Lake Vyrnwy again.

Impey - cleaning up the mess is one of the reasons I don't have bird feeders in my garden. The other is that lots of the neighbours feed the birds, so they don't go hungry. In the really cold weather I throw a few handfuls of bird food onto the roof of my shed.

NZC - very impressed by your running in the heat.

Been swimming. The lady who gives private lessons is being very elusive. I asked about her again, and was told my message had been passed to her and they could do no more.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.