Over 60s training.

128,201 to 128,220 of 134,578 messages
06/02/2013 at 21:34

g'day

aws' painting must have frightened eveyone off

aws
temperature is rising!

Graham
excellent running in the  windy conditions - one never gains whiat one loses into the wind on the return

Tracey
high mileage family

Columba
similar weather  conditions here though it got colder and drier as the night progressed

NZC
It's so long ago that I have quite forgotten about marathons - and I am trying not to think about them just yet either!!!

Last night was good - 3.5 miles to get there in 28:15 laden with haversack and change of clothes and then a brisk 4.5 miles topped off with a long run for home  when challenged by my resident young sprint finish fancier - no chance for her last night !!

06/02/2013 at 22:10

Today's wind has been bitingly cold. Straight from the north.

aws
If you keep doing the same training your pace will plateau.

TS
High mileage stuff and 8 min miling ain't bad either.
JJ

07/02/2013 at 11:06

good morning

JJ
it would be nice to think it was 8m/m but alas the reality is a bit different.
Well the wind started here before it got to you .

The good side was that despite being cold it was very clear and dry early on with just the thinnest of crescent moons low in the dawn sky.

5.1 miles done in 42:28 with avHR 136 and a max of 154 as I essayed the harder route (ie hillier!!) up Hipps Hill for the first time

1m 8:40 avhr 131 max 141
2m 7:54 avhr 134 max 142
3m 8:20 avhr 136 max 144
4m 8:10 avhr 137 max 146
5m 8:50 avhr 147 max 154 Hipps Hill

The steeper hill path at the end left me feeling distinctly  weak in the legs - just not used to tougher gradients as yet - indeed my legs are just beginning to cumulatively feel the last few weeks and a bit of zip in them has gone - breathing and HR are fine 

07/02/2013 at 11:47

Good morning,
Still hostile weather here, currently it is -19c with a high wind so it looks like yet another treadmill session for me.

TS,
Still a nice 5 miler in the bag. I seemed to have passed that point in my training cycle. My legs have no problem with the mileage but I have no zip in them yet. 8 min miling is no problem but if I go under that they quickly start to die, speed work not far away though,

Graham,
3 days down, 30.4k done, 3 days to go, how are you doing?

Yesterday's run was a steady easy pace, ending with a pickup over the last k

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/compareruns2_2.jpg?width=350

I managed to get hold of one of the larger fans and the gym and I think it made a difference as my %WHR looks a lot better.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/compareruns2whr.jpg?width=350

07/02/2013 at 12:16
Mick6
I am sure the cooling effect of the fan when you were on the treadmill will have been very beneficial.

TS
Be patient, your legs will submit to your wishes in time. Your hash session provided your legs with a good mileage

JJ
I agree with you about the chill of the wind yesterday. Out at Wisley Gardens is was wicked. But a trip into the hot houses made me warm again. The gardens there never fail to amaze me. They were in excellent form yesterday. Everywhere was so vey tidy and orderly. The perfume form the numerous Daphne bushes were wonderful.

There was a butterfly exhibition in the glass houses. It was fascinating, many different varieties and the colours were amazing. They flew about amongst the visitors and in fact one took a looking to my red scalf and rested for a while on it, until it discovered it wasn't edible.

I have just done the work out on my new DVD. It was ok, but I do prefer my app that I have by Lauren Brooke's. That one is the business. However, I did the 54 min workout with a light kettlebell, I wanted to make sure I could get through the programme. My HR never got above 112 and mainly it was around 103. But I'm sure I heavier bell would get me working and sweating harder. I found out that I can't do burpees, my arms/shoulders aren't strong enough!
Edited: 07/02/2013 at 12:18
07/02/2013 at 13:32
Bernard's got a Ride London Surrey 100 ballot place
07/02/2013 at 18:39

Ceal - there's a "butterfly world" near Aberystwyth; I have been there a couple of times when my brother and his family have been staying. Stand still for a minute or two and you're almost sure to get alighted on. My sister-in-law was particularly pleased becuase she's from the Philippines and so were some of the butterflies. She had a long conversation with the man who runs the place, and who goes out every year to the Philippines (among many other places) to collect caterpillars. However, he didn't have any of the butterflies she remembered best as he said those ones are so short-lived it's not worth bringing them back. She remembers fields full of them, all fluttering together.

I ran to the town lake today and decided to do something different, - a pyramid session, - 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 (minutes, that is), with walk/jog breaks the same length of time between them. The first one I did at 9:22 mm, the 2 and 3 minute ones were in the 10s, the 4 and 5 minute ones in the 11s. It was a lot colder than I'd anticipated, - there was ice on the lake, and a couple of patches of it on the pavements, where water seemed to have run across them from people's gardens.

07/02/2013 at 21:13

Columba,
great pyramid, I find them really good for sharpening before a race, moving through all of the race paces from 3k to the half seems to push me that little bit further.

Graham,
Day 4, I am now at 40.7k. You are very quiet. Are you off on an Ultra so you can hit a 100 miles this week.

The last few days on the treadmill have been with some company. I think a number of the ladies at the gym feel sorry for an old geyser gasping away and have started to run alongside me and chat. It certainly helps the run pass easier. Makes me try a little harder too.

07/02/2013 at 21:54

Mick, I'm at 25.5 miles so more or less that same as you. Not too optimistic though as I've got a left knee which is aching a bit. It's been doing that for a while now but seems a bit worse after today's 7 mile run. I'd planned 10.4 miles tomorrow and 5 on Saturday but don't intend to take any chances, just not worth it. 

Columba, always good to try something different for a bit of variety.

ceal, I hope you're achilles trouble is showing signs of improvement. 

07/02/2013 at 22:13

Graham,
You just have your nose infront. Not good about the knee though, but it may be due to your hard race and will pass quickly.
My current plan is 5 miles tomorrow and 10 on Saturday so we are very close. I may have to add a few, not that I am competitive or anything. 

07/02/2013 at 22:41

Mick, sounds like we would have been neck and neck. I'm not too worried about the knee but running on it in the next day or two wouldn't be sensible and would definitely do more harm than good. Best to think medium and long-term I reckon. Well done again for the miles you're managing these days. I look forward to seeing it reflected in your race times in the summer.

08/02/2013 at 07:17
Good morning,

I think we have had a little sprinkling of snow over night. Nothing much though.

Graham
Sensible decision about not running with a knee niggle. Have you considered that maybe you have a tight area in your quads, this can affect the knee. You and Mick6 asked about my Achilles. It is fine when walking, doing my kettle bell stuff but I know it isn't ready to run yet. I am not over frustrated by the injury as yet. Yes, don't like having an injury, but it is also great not to to be running in these very cold conditions. It is 5 weeks since it first became a problem, however, it is only 3 weeks since my disastrous run in Tenerife. So I am not sure where to take my 6 weeks healing time from. I see my Physio in 11 days so I will hangon until then.

Mick6
I am awaiting your week's final mileage!

Columba
A well constructed pyramid run yesterday gave your legs something to think about! Yes, the butterflies don't live for very long do they? I think that should read No, the butterflies don't live for very long do they? There were around 35 different species, we saw a large proportion of the different types. The markings on one of them reminded me of a fair isle cardigan that I had as a child.

More kettlebell stuff today.
Edited: 08/02/2013 at 07:19
aws
08/02/2013 at 07:49

Good morning

5.09M; 1:06:53.5; 13:09/M; 0°C

I was a little later getting out this am so my 6miler was downgraded.

Couldn't be late as Angela has to go for a bone scan at 10:00.

al

08/02/2013 at 08:02
aws
All the best to Angela this morning. I bet it was cold when you were running this morning.
08/02/2013 at 10:25

good morning

aws
all the best to Angela - is the scan for density? 

Columba
very sophisticated training session - pyramid sessions!!  Well done 

Graham
bad news picking up a knee niggle  - I reckon its all this running in the dark - one cannot always get the right footfall to suit the conditions underfoot.
Just watch Mick6 take advantage of your situation

Mick6
I see you are employing pacers now as well in your efforts . Another good effort on the treadie - the fan must help to keep you cooled off a bit.
I often see the same girl in the morning running in the opposite direction to me. Up until this morning she has studiously avoided making any response to my normal "morning" greeting that I hand out to anyone I pass but this morning she actually said "hello - isn't it cold" so I guess she has decided I am 'armless!!!

Ceal
a butterfly house sounds pretty good when the weather is as it is  
troublesome achilles/surrounding muscle/tendon - it really is suck it and see. I started back if you remember with very short runs of 1-2 miles just to warm up for my exercises - and now look what I have landed myself in for  

Very dry cold this morning with a light snow fall of very fine flakes that stuck instantly to eyelashes and face.
Bigged it up a bit and added a tiny bit more distance and, because my body was telling my mind it was tired when faced with Hipps Hill, I chose the steeper path to show who was boss here. It's 53m of climb in  a mile so Garmin tells me -  and I believe it!!

5.35 miles done in 44:34 (8:24m/m) with rubbish HR readings possibly because I did not sweat a drop outside despite being clad in thermal top, techie tee shirt and CCJ

1m 8:34
2m 7:42 avhr 133 max 139   only mile where HR was properly recorded
3m 8:17
4m 8:21
5m 9:02 Hipps Hill
.35m 2:38 

enjoyed that -perfect running conditions - even the hill was ok even though my legs were weak on it and it meant I had a nice downhill finish to my home for the last 0.3 mile 

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 10:27
08/02/2013 at 10:54

Morning

Sorry been awol mix of work and so forth. Went for a run walk mor run than walk though 6½ mils  and was almost home - almost and i collided with the road no eal damage a bruised knee and face a bit  battered oh yes and  black eye  bu seem ok today just not very pretty

meeting the girls om work, going to the Harvester one has been off ith a broken wrist

Try and catch up later 

08/02/2013 at 11:05
aws - hope Angela's bone scan went well.

((Pammie)) lots of makeup

JJ - my Tumbridge Wells half race pack arrived this morning.

Bernard's Ride London 100 mag came. You have 9 hours to complete the 102 miles at average speed of 12mph. There is a 2m ride out at the start.
08/02/2013 at 11:32
Tracey
Bernard's ride sounds exciting.

Pammie
Oh dear, as Tracey says, lots of make up needed. But seriously I am relieved for you that it was not a lot worse. Pride takes a battering though doesn't it !
aws
08/02/2013 at 16:55

Thanks for all your good wishes for Angela. Was no problem, not sure when we get the result though. Yes, TS, density. She's been on stuff to address the condition for quite some time. Don't ask me what exactly, she takes so many meds I can't keep track. Seeing I don't take anything I'm not of that mindset.

How self-centred can you get?

al

08/02/2013 at 17:42

Pammie - sorry to hear about the fall.

Ceal - you seem quite as ease about not running at the moment. Great that you are into all the different sorts of exercise. I had never seen a kettlebell before, now I keep seeing images of them all the time. Good luck with the recovery.

I didn't run yesterday and only mowed the lawns the day before, so have nothing to report - am about to go for a run now - must get myself out the door!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.