Over 60s training.

128,241 to 128,260 of 134,584 messages
11/02/2013 at 11:30

Hi all
       Just a quick look in before i go to physio for some treatment.and shed a few pounds sterling.

Some good running going on by everyone very impressive.

Not sure when i can resume training.i may get a ansewr today,as i am getting bored now. Will pop back later.

11/02/2013 at 12:42
aws
I think you are doing well to get out at all to do some training, especially when the time of day that you go out is taken in consideration.

Mick6
Enjoy the thread treat which JJ is sending to you. It would seem that the Canadian medical system seems to do a lot more tests then here in the UK. Unless, of course, the tests are something that you ask for and indeed pay for! 40 miles is a good weeks training, particularly as many of the miles were done on the treadmill.

busbar
All the best at the Physio I do hope that he/she is able to sort out your calf problem. I visit mine again next week with the same interest as you are have right now.

TS
Excellent pace and and mileage yesterday, followed neatly by some more miles today. I agree with you about the need to do some training which will encourage early fat burning to become a habit, especially when one has a marathon in mind/on the calendar! Also it will mean that you will be spending a little more time on your feet, which will be useful too.

JJ
Hope your get sorted by RW so that you don't have to have to go through a hassle producing procedure before you can post on here.

Columba
You did well to fit in a LSR when the weather was a little more clement.

NZC
You always seem able to churn out the miles when needed.

As for me, kettlebell stuff done yesterday and today too. We had snow over night which was a surprise, it continued to snow quite heavily this morning, but has now turned into rain. But everywhere is looking very pretty but if it freezes then conditions will not be at all pleasant.
Edited: 11/02/2013 at 12:45
aws
11/02/2013 at 12:52

TS - It'll be the surfactant that does it.

Columba - It is the sand.

al

Edited: 11/02/2013 at 12:53
11/02/2013 at 13:31

Good afternoon
                 Back from physio and i have another appointment wednesday.
Totally forgot to mention how long it would be before i started training again
This is because i was talking about the olympics and if he had any involvement at the
games.

11/02/2013 at 13:54
busbar
What did the Physio say was the problem?n
11/02/2013 at 15:45

Busbar
your physio sounds as chatty as mine 
Ditto Ceal's query?

Ceal
kettlebells are getting a hammering!!!
Any more time on my feet and I'll fall over with exhaustion 
But, yes I can happily run at that sort of pace for maybe 15 miles but thereafter it may become as struggle. Fortunately I have some fat stores to call on................ 

11/02/2013 at 18:56

ceal,
It seems that a lot of medical tests are triggered by age, so when I hit 65, my doc scheduled them all in at no cost to me.
The medical system here is creaking just as it is in the UK. We do have the advantage that if you don't want to wait you can quickly schedule any tests you like just south of the border. All you need is money.

TS,
What does your mileage ramp up look like and what do you expect to peak at? You have 12 weeks which sounds a loing time but if you haven't done that kind of mileage in a long time, it can seem very short.

I finally got a chance to run outside today for a 10.6k recovery run. We had snow over night so it was a bit slippery but it was warm, -7c. The temperature is expected to rise all day with freezing rain starting this afternoon so tomorrows outdoor run is in jeopardy.

11/02/2013 at 18:56
TS - your training is coming along brilliantly
11/02/2013 at 19:04

busbar - hope the physio can sort out your problem.

Ceal - good to see you are enjoying your kettlebell workouts.

Aws - agree with Ceal - amazing that you got out in those conditons! Nice painting btw

Torque Steer - you seem to be able to back up your faster running. If I run harder/longer/faster one day, I'm down to a crawl on the next day.

Rotorua marathon is on 4th May - I have to finish it to become a "survivor". To become a survivor you have to have run 15 Rotoruas. My first one was in 1978! So I intend finishing it even if I have to crawl!

I ran 7km at Cornwall Park yesterday - very hot though windy, and not very fast!

Edited: 11/02/2013 at 19:07
11/02/2013 at 19:06
I went out at just before 9am for my 17 mile run. Pavements on we're wet snow, slush and puddles for the first. Conditions got better along the Thames path.

3:11:35
Average pace 11:16
11:33
11:20
11:02
10:55
11:05
10:53
10:55
11:26 - this part is more hilly
11:06
11:17
11:15
11:04
11:14
11:16
11:48 hilly bit
11:37 slush pavements
11:41 slush pavements and knackered
11/02/2013 at 19:07
Bernard did 18 miles in 2:39:36
11/02/2013 at 19:08

Tracey - good long run - which marathon are you running?

11/02/2013 at 19:14
Tracey,
Well done both of you.

NZC
YOU WILL FINISH, I KNOW YOU WILL!

Mick6
I think TS has until October to train for his marathon!
11/02/2013 at 20:16

Tracey
well done on another long run safely completed  - tough conditions for you and Bernard!!

NZC
You will survive!!!!!!
It was a bit of a struggle today but I was wearing Mr Sensible hat  - not often I do that - and 5 miles was the sensible limit. However 3 weeks ago 3 miles was the limit so there is some progress

MIck6
as Ceal says I have more time - 250 days 13 hours and 43 minutes to be exact -before the start line looms  
It is NZC that only has 12 weeks - and 12 summer weeks at that!! 

11/02/2013 at 20:27
NZC - I'm doing Brighton marathon.
11/02/2013 at 20:39

Sorry i forgot to reply what the physio said,my first visit was last saturday and basically said it was a overuse problem.After initial examination he said it he didnt think it was to serious and should take about 5 treatments.With that i lay on my back
with knees bent and he applys some leads that give you needles and pins sensation.
To be honest the last physio i had was about 10 years ago so i am a bit in the dark
with the procedure.

Today the same leads to start with and then what he called bio treatment i think which supposed to get calcium to muscles but dont know if i am right in saying that.Booked in to have another treatment on wednesday,So he's saying not to serious,but any comments would be appreciated.

11/02/2013 at 20:40

Impressive running going on all round except for Busbar.  Hope it won't be long before you get to run again, Busbar

Marg bought me a couple of kettlebells for my birthday and I haven't used them yet.   Will have to select some appropriate exercises !

I am back to 3 days running every week though I didn't report the last two outings as it wasn't much worth mentioning.  At any rate, it's getting better.

Today despite wearing 5 (yes 5!) top layers as it was perishingly cold (me wimp!) I was surprised at my 3rd and 4th mile paces.
12.20 warming up,   10.49,  10.22,  10.11 and 11.25.  Total 5.3 miles

11/02/2013 at 21:41
Still got problems posting anything without the Nike advert taking over.
No response yet from RW.

TS
Excellent run.
If I didn't know better I'd say the cold weather is the cause of the shrinkage.

Impey
I started feeling the winter cold last year and I'm feeling it this winter too. It was never a problem before.and just meant an extra layer.

NZC
I bet you make the 15 target without even walking.

busbar
Not sure where the calcium fits in. That's for bones not soft tissue damage.
JJ

Edited: 11/02/2013 at 21:53
11/02/2013 at 21:51

Really impressed at TS's speed abd determination, and Tracey's (and Bernard's!) long runs.

I suppose, if one did crawl over the finishing line on hands and knees, it would still count as finishing.

Smattering of snow here first thing. Soon disappeared locally but remained on the surrounding hills all day.

Went swimming. As the individual swimming teacher still hasn't got back to me, I asked about group lessons, and apparently some have just started in Rhayader (of "round-the-lakes" fame) which is only 8 miles away. I have a phone number to call.

11/02/2013 at 21:53

Am I right in thinking that JJ managed to quote, but not to add anything of his own?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.