Over 60s training.

128,341 to 128,360 of 133,487 messages
aws
19/02/2013 at 09:04

Good morning

nrd

Old fogies coffee morning at the church. They call it 'Growing Old Disgracefully', oh G.O.D. I'm not aiming to join the GO bit and I suppose the D can't be avoided. There's table tennis and pool, and Wii-led dancing that only the ladies go for. I suppose you'd call it cross-training but it's all rather sedate. There's plenty of gas, gas, gas that's probably more strenuous.

al

19/02/2013 at 16:40
Hello
Sorry I have been missing for a few days. I have been busy also I was not well for a couple of days. I didn't make the art exhibition because I had stomach pains and vomited the previous night, and not a lot of sleep and woke with a headache so I had to cancel my visit. I was very disappointed, however, sharkie has offered to accompany me on another ocassion. Not sure if I had a bug or it was something I ate, like rollmops for lunch. I did have a bit of a fever.

Graham,
I thought of you at the weekend, we visited Standen House. We went round the house for the first time, well I had seen the downstairs but had never been upstairs.

JJ
I have noted some good off road stuff has been done by you, although, doodle didn't seem so impressed.

Busbar
How are you getting on with your Physio treatment. I am sitting outside mine right now.

TS
As one would expect from you, some excellent pace and miles and encouraging HR response going on.

Impey
Well done on racing faster than the last time with the same race.

Mick6
I was amused by your post at the top of the page. It made me titter. I remember you runing the same route as you did a few days ago, viewing the ice sculptures etc. Certainly one to remember and repeat as many times as you can as the years pass by. An impressive treadmill run by you yesterday, you are certainly a getting fitter by the day. What are you doing in the Gym at the moment whilst you are racking up the miles?

Colomba
I agree things are starting to grow in the garden together with the weeks, I spent quite a few hours weeding over the weekend.

I apologise for those I have forgotten to comment on. There is no wifi here and I daren't turn the page back in case I lose what I have written.

This post will not go until I get home when wifi connection will be restored to my ipad.
19/02/2013 at 17:24

Ceal--Have my last physio tomorrow,so  that will be 5 in total.
Done 2 runs of 2 miles each so far which was on sunday and today.
Although it appears i have done no major harm to my calf it just feels so different to my left leg.

Probadly because i was right footed at football maybe that leg has had to much wear and tear.There is no pain when i actually run now although its only for a couple miles.
So i guess the test comes when i up the mileage.

19/02/2013 at 19:27

Not much to post as I have stopped running again. Went to have a couple of skin lesions taken off my face yesterday and the surgeon said he would also fix the cut in my chin, it was only afterwards that they said I couldn't run till the stitches come out which is next Tuesday - so I'll be twiddling my thumbs till then! 

19/02/2013 at 21:27

JJ,
My stride length is usually between 1 and 1.3m depending on pace. What is low is my cadence which is always a few strides lower on the treadmill. I have no idea why as it feels very normal.

ceal,
Sorry to hear that you have not been well but it is that time of year, lots of bugs circulating here.
Yes I have run that same route during the Winterlude Festival for a number of years.
I do my gym work after my run and I try to mix it up as much as possible. I have recently put more emphasis on non-machine work including some of the stretches you have me. I alsways inlcude squats, lunges and one legged stuff.
I spend about 45 mins on that and then move on to weights.
Today I worked my arms and chest using free weights, yesterday it was shoulders with my pathetic efforts at pullups and pulldowns.
Tomorrow I will be spending time with the roller and tennis ball before going on to straight lifts. 

NZC,
I had some lesions removed off of my chest and one on my back but had no instructions to stop running and ran the same day with no ill effects. I guess it must vary from doc to doc. Good luck with it.

9k done outside at a steady pace, only -5c but a bit windy. I was lucky as by the time I left the gym it was snowing and it is snowing hard now. It is the dry dusty stuff rather than the UK wet flakey stuff. 

19/02/2013 at 21:29

Another off road 3 mile run/walk. Just about ticking over.
Plenty of garden work done too.

Ceal
Sorry to hear about your unwellness. Make sure you have recovered before you do anything too energetic.
Doodle is a wimp except when it comes to playing or chasing small furry creatures.

NZC
In my rugby days I used to have stitches fairly regularly and my doc was always clear that so long as the stitches were in place I could play. It was just after they came out that I had to be very careful. Maybe it would be worth risking a shamble up the road if you feel like it.
JJ

20/02/2013 at 07:22
Morning all

(((Ceal))) hope your feeling better now.

Did 5.17 miles at running club yesterday in 51:13, average pace 9:54

10:03
9:47
10:08
9:52
9:49
1:32 (9:09 pace)
20/02/2013 at 07:23
Legs are feeling it this morning thou
K2
20/02/2013 at 09:29

Speedy recovery wishes to ceal and NZC.

Planning ahead - anyone around or not for the June LFOTM?

20/02/2013 at 10:27

Ceal - sorry to hear you've been ill; hope you're fully recovered now. Also hope it hasn't put you off rollmops!

NZC - you too, - heal fast!

4.6 miles with the running club last night, round town, up and down hilly roads.

Tracey - must be a good feeling, though. A self-congratulatory feeling.

aws
20/02/2013 at 11:05

Good morning

5.09M; 1:11:10.5; 13:59/M; 4°C

I didn't feel much like running this morning - maybe I shouldn't have. It was nearly raining but not quite although you could feel it in the air.

al

20/02/2013 at 18:16

The paths were too slushy so indoors again today.

09:25 AM Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Treadmill10.2k, progessive, felt strong but overheated again.
Run Duration = 55:17, Run Length = 10.1 Kms or 6.3 Miles
Average Run Pace = 05:26 per Km, 08:46 per Mile, Age grade = 64.7 %
Average Run WHR = 74.3 %, Max Run WHR = 88.1 %
Average Run Cadence = 81.9, Average stride length = 1.1 m

Puts me on track for 40+ miles this week so happy with that.

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 18:27
20/02/2013 at 20:41

evening all

Busbar
good to hear you are out of the physio's tender clutches - hope it stays that way!!

Mick6
you are piling themiles - and pace - on good going
No races for me planned as yet - far too cautious for that just yet!!

JJ
standing around waiting for a female  - it's a hard life

Tracey
nice pace  

Columba
a good time for window shopping  as you sped by.
I saw my friends from Aber last evening - they came up with their new daughter who became the youngest ever Hasher at 7 weeks old 

NZC
cor you are in the wars - poor you

Ceal
normally I would say yum to roll mop herring  .....................Hope you have recovered
Did the physio throw any light on your ankle/achilles injury or even better a resolution to it?
shame about the Manet exhibition 

I seem to have paid for my current progress in running by being plagued by solicitors and I was called down to London yesterday to sort them out which I did!!!
Got back just in time to run last evening which was good as I got to meet my  new proxy g'daughter who was quite unmoved by being bowled along in her pram at a rate of knots.
My knee is still giving me some naggle so I will resort to my taping from days of yore if I can remember how to do it and run gently for a couple of days - yes folk you heard correctly - gently!!!

20/02/2013 at 21:35

No running today. Legs were very tired and a bit stiff.

TS
I'm not very good at waiting.
Take care of that knee. It has a lot of work to do.

Tracey
You're ready to pace the 10 minute miling group.
JJ

20/02/2013 at 21:50
JJ - might be following your 2:20 pacer
20/02/2013 at 22:04

Tracey
Follow the 2 hour pacer and drop back to the 2:20 one if you can't maintain the pace.

Have you seen the publicity blurb?

Only a few days to go.. and no it's not going to snow!

Thought you might like a sneak preview of the highlights before I send it out to the media:
We've got Bagpuss, the TW Mayoress and over 2800 runners signed up, making the 30th Anniversary the best race yet. There'll be goody bags, amazing medals and lovely t-shirts for all runners. Check out a photo of the medal on Facebook:   http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=590889697591642&set=a.182253461788603.47885.165359496811333&type=1&theater

The overall race is likely to be a close contest between Essex based Tom Payn and last year’s second place runner, Paul Marteletti, both of whom are capable of running around 66-68 minutes for the 13.1 mile course.Without last year’s winner and course record holder, Helen Decker, the women’s race is more open. Paddock Wood AC athlete Tina Oldershaw who has won the race 5 times, is likely to be the main contender and to see her take a 6th win on the 30thAnniversary would be a great achievement.

Race Ambassadors – Unfortunately, Richard Whitehead has had to pull out at short notice, BUT we have 4 Olympians from London 2012 representing the Dame Kelly Holmes Legacy Trust who will start the race, hand out medals and prizes.

Darren Harris – Paralympic Footballer http://www.paralympics.org.uk/gb/athletes/darren-harris

Karina Bryant – Olympic Bronze Medallist, Judo http://www.dkhlegacytrust.org/Our-World-Class-Athletes_6791_Karina%20_Bryant

Alistair Patrick-Heselton –Paralympic Footballer http://www.dkhlegacytrust.org/Our-World-Class-Athletes_6767_Alistair_Patrick-Heselton

Kelly Edwards – Olympian, Judo http://www.teamgb.com/athletes/kelly-edwards-0

·Tunbridge Wells Mayoress, Rebecca Smith is taking part in aid of Hospice in the Weald, after her own personal battle against breast cancer.

·Oldest man in the race is our very own Graham Brooks at 81 years old. Graham will be running in race number 1, in recognition of his participation it the very first race 30 years ago in 1983. Alongside him, is Tunbridge Wells Harriers club mate, Eric Schofield, who will run in race number 2 who also took part in the inaugural event.

Race Statistics:

·Host club Tunbridge Wells Harriers will have 90 runners taking part.

·Number of TW runners – 550 runners are from Tunbridge Wells itself, with 1584 (over half the entrants) living in Kent

·Male/Female split: 874 women v’s 1986 men

·Oldest runner – Graham Brooks from TW. 81 yrs old

·Youngest runner – Adam Harber, from TW. 17 years old

For further information, interviews, photographs and press information, please contact Sarah Russell Race Director on 07900 825836 or email halfmarathon@twharriers.org.uk.

21/02/2013 at 09:34
There will be about 4 from my club JJ
aws
21/02/2013 at 10:19

Good morning

nrd

JJ - Where is the publicity blurb? Is it available online?

al

21/02/2013 at 10:23

good morning

JJ
good blurb and advance publicity.
you have got the local population on side which is so important nowadays  with increasing reluctance to grant road race permissions.

I think my increased knee discomfort was caused by me having to restrain myself from giving the partner of a very large firm of solicitors in london a good kicking!!
I arrived for the meeting to find his whole team of  bright young things with names like Gemma, Sarah, Jeanette and Emma all waiting for me but of him no sign.
One of them asked to delay the meeting's start saying he had been caught up in a rail delay but I politely declined saying I had a tight deadline due to other meetings and thinking to myself that he would know b*gger all about the detail anyway.

So I patiently went through each of their briefs (deliberate pun intended!) attaching no blame to what they had done or not done and explained what I wanted and the timescales for delivery of their input. It quickly became apparent that the complexities of the project had not been fully outlined to them and now that they had the full picture and how they fitted into that they became very enthusiastic about delivering to my timescales.
Then mr partner arrived - extremely disconcerted to find the meeting had commenced without him - and demanding a full briefing of what had gone on. I declined telling him to get it from his associates after I had gone but gave him instead some of the more complex contractual questions  I had reserved especially for him. As I had expected he had no idea of the true complexities and after some waffle for about 10 minutes his own staff were not so gently guiding him out of the bullsh*t he was talking!!!!.
Result was I now have a very devoted team of solicitors  who address every query they have to me instead of trying to resolve it internally - only trouble is I don't get paid for this

Anyway - gentle I said and gentle it was this morning - cold and drear as the weather as I ran 4.5 miles in 47:43 (10:30m/m!!!) with avHR 117 (55%WHR) and a max of 130

1m 11:56 111  128
2m 10:25 116  129
3m 10:08 116  131
4m  9:49 115   126
.5m  5:23 120  130 

Ran mostly on grass - or what passes for grass currently - more muddied earth with bits of green stuff in it. Taping certainly relieved the pressure on the knee.

One thing I did notice on the Stray grassland was the almost complete absence of crocus when normally there are millions coming through. By contrast the daffodils are well advanced with buds showing on long stalks. Similar tale in my garden as well.

21/02/2013 at 10:26

JJ
I remember Helen Decker running in my local 10K a couple of years ago and being very impressed by her good form 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.