Over 60s training.

128,381 to 128,400 of 134,219 messages
21/02/2013 at 20:48
Graham
Was that Helen or Joyce? Good session of 400's, they will set you up nicely for the nationals. Enjoy and be proud too.
21/02/2013 at 20:52

K2, thanks for those cheery words . Might wear an extra pair of socks!

ceal, Joyce. Do you know her personally? Age for age she must be the best runner at our club.

21/02/2013 at 21:16

Anyone know the Forest of Bowland well enough to comment on its suitability for a southerner to spend a few days break? Looks quite scenic on the map.

Graham
I ran the national XC about 8 years ago. They don't half run quick but it's a great experience.
Excellently paced 400s.

JJ

21/02/2013 at 21:16
Graham
I only know her by name and reputation. She is in the same age group as my friend Pam Jones.
K2
21/02/2013 at 21:28

JJ
I used to go through the Forest of Bowland quite a lot as a child as I had an aunt and uncle in Clitheroe. I can't remember it in detail but I liked it a lot and it was unspoilt. Not many trees, though. definitely worth a look, I'd say.

K2
21/02/2013 at 21:32

YOu might have just given me a holiday idea.

21/02/2013 at 23:26

K2 think you might have done it if memory serves me right starting at the boathouse and its a 2 lap course. Usually in June theres a rock concert in the area of the start and finish of the normal couse (bandstand)

K2
22/02/2013 at 07:44

Pammie
I might be able to do August or September. It would be good to have longer daylight.

22/02/2013 at 08:24
K2
In theory I should be at the LFOM in June, but I honestly can't look that far ahead! Is it tomorrow that you are walking on fire? If so keep cool!
K2
22/02/2013 at 08:30

ceal
Sorry to report that I've had to call off the firewalk as I couldn't get enough people to walk it and I'd have been liable for the full cost which wasn't really an option.
The company have said I can carry over the deposit so I'm looking at other options (other venue or tagging myself onto someone else's). I will do it and you will most definitely be told when I do.

22/02/2013 at 09:44

Lol at the "designer injury". Also at K2's attempts to keep her big toes on her feet.

Ceal, I remember watching you run a LFOTM, a year or so ago, and you pointed out to me a very fast 75-year old lady who was also running it. Would that have been Joyce?

Graham - really impressed at the National X-C Championships.  Maybe gloves and a buff as well as extra socks?

K2 - shame about the firewalk but I look forward to later attempt.

22/02/2013 at 10:35

good morning

K2 wrote (see)

Pammie
I might be able to do August or September. It would be good to have longer daylight.

I hope it doesn't take you that long to complete 

JJ
not a tree to be seen in the FofB. However you may get a glimpse of a  hen harrier. It is an area like much of the North Pennines - pretty wild and unspoilt by too much tourism 
I need the crocus out to do a max HR test 

Graham
see that wasn't so hard was it ?  Good times for the first effort
Is the xcountry at Sunderland this year - I seem to have read somewhere that was the venue?

Columba
sounded a good start to your swimming lessons
I thought you were suggesting Graham ran the xcountry in the buff for a moment!! 

Ceal
my mules must have lower heels than yours !!

It ws bl**dy freezing out there this morning and I was underclad having just put my lightweight Izumi top over the merino wool base layer - needed my thicker Mizuno one - bbrrrrrrr

I therefore had to run a bit harder than I wished just to keep warm but still controlled it quite well for 5 miles in 44:06 (8:50m/m) with avHR127 (63%WHR) and a max of 142

1m 9:42 117  129
2m 8:42 121  131
3m 8:47 127  138
4m 8:26 132  139
5m 8:45 138  142 Hipps Hill  - bit of  a guess on HR as suddenly started to spike

Nice lazy north east breeze that just blew straight through one's body - lovely!!

Knee was okish - I had remembered how to tape it properly but had forgotten the essential preliminary trick that my physio had shown me - didn't shave my leg - and remembered only when I removed the tape

Edited: 22/02/2013 at 10:37
22/02/2013 at 11:08

TS, ouch to the knee! Yes, they're in Sunderland this year. A place I try to avoid normally of course but too good a chance to miss running when it's so local. We're getting a really good turn-out from the club.

22/02/2013 at 11:52
Columba - it was probably Pam Jones She's 76 until July
22/02/2013 at 18:25

Columba
Pam Jones was almost certainly the lady. She's a LFOTM regular.

TS
Thanks for the succinct description of the F of B. I like the thought of few tourists.

K2
You and TS are clearly in agreement about F of B
JJ

22/02/2013 at 20:23

TS,
Another very solid run with a good avg WHR %. I am doing a lot of my running at a similar avg WHR % but a bit slower.
Let's hope that the knee doesn't get any worse.

Graham,
Good luck with the XC tomorrow but it would not be a worthwhile XC if it didn't have lots of mud and was a bit on the nippy side. Reminds me of HS where we ran XC all year round in shorts and of course we were not allowed a hat or gloves. Black plimsoles were the standard footwear so no grip at all.

22/02/2013 at 20:24

I really enjoyable run outdoors with a couple of friends today. Picked it up over the last mile.

Unable to post my run !!!

This website is really flakey, I can crash my session at will. The US is much more stable with more consistent formatting, it is hard to understand why the two sites have to be different. Why would you use the same design team and just let the locals control content?

Edited: 22/02/2013 at 20:35
22/02/2013 at 20:38

It likes pictures better.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/pcompareruns2_0.jpg?width=350

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/compareruns2_3.jpg?width=350

23/02/2013 at 10:47
Did parkrun with Andre this morning in 39:51
23/02/2013 at 11:28

Tracey, nice one!

I'm very disappointed as won't be doing the National X-Country today after all .

We had 3 inches of snow overnight and it's still snowing a bit now. The race will go ahead but it's a 15-mile drive and there were reports of hazardous driving conditions on many local roads this morning. Don't think anything was gritted. At best the traffic would have been very slow and it only takes a minor accident for everything to seize up completely. I just didn't want to put myself through such a lot of potential hassle. I nearly had an accident last time it was like this. Stupid snow!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.